Mindcontrol - sort of

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Mindcontrol - sort of
Warrior
Member # 7195
Profile #0
If you had a power to delete/edit a (part of a) memory of a person, what would you do?

Poll Information
This poll contains 1 question(s). 22 user(s) have voted.
You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

function launch_voter () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=vote;pollid=TmejemUIMtir"); return true; } // end launch_voter function launch_viewer () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=view;pollid=TmejemUIMtir"); return true; } // end launch_viewer function launch_window (url) { preview = window.open( url, "preview", "width=550,height=300,toolbar=no,location=no,directories=no,status,menubar=no,scrollbars,resizable,copyhistory=no" ); window.preview.focus(); return preview; } // end launch_window IMAGE(votenow.gif)     IMAGE(voteresults.gif)

--------------------
I don't care what you say, I'm punk and Hardcore all the way!
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #1
Can't feel comfortable with any of those answers. What about just tweaking certain memories to gain small advantages over time? The cop forgetting why you were pulled over. The boss suddenly remembering how prompt you always have been. Those may be good uses, the hate/domination/never thing is a little extreme for my tastes.

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

Lack of Vision
Member # 2717
Profile #2
quote:
Originally written by Anarchiztok:

If you had a power to delete/edit a (part of a) memory of a person, what would you do?
You realize, of course, that you've just described one of Richard White's powers? If you didn't, then he didn't want you to know about it until you read this post. If you did, he placed the memory there.

Z

--------------------
Pan Lever: Seventeen apple roving mirror moiety. Of turned quorum jaggedly the. Blue?
Agent
Member # 6581
Profile Homepage #3
Memory is a sanctuary. No one is allowed to enter, you can just look in. :)

--------------------
Download Geneforge 4: Rebellion

You have 6 posts. Nobody cares what you think. - Thuryl

Wikipedia may be your friend, but UBB is not. - Dikiyoba
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #4
Well, I picked "never", just because it came closest out of those choices.

Seriously though, I'll keep my memories. Without them, I'm not the same me, and this particular me isn't comfortable with that idea right now.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Lifecrafter
Member # 3171
Profile Homepage #5
Yea, I don't think I'd mess with peoples memories. You never can tell what good could come of the bad. And if everything was always perfect for you then you'd get bored pretty quick.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #6
I'd feel uncomfortable with that kind of power. No really, it makes my ethics tingle unpleasantly.

There's one possibly "good" use I see for it: Given the chance, it would be nice to be able to alter the memory of someone who's gone through something really bad.

Although that's kind of risky - for example, you could behave like a complete jerk and then make people like you again, over and over. Or imagine the possibility of someone you have a hopeless crush on to suddenly thinking you've been dating for a year.

So nah, I think I'll pass.

----

Then again, people already seem to think I like stealth-editing their posts, so this isn't a big step. :P

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #7
People on these boards are the worst when it comes to answering hypothetical questions like this. "Oh, I wouldn't want to mess with the space-time continuum" "Wah, I could never disturb the delicate balance of the universe" and "People's memories are not meant to be ruined like that." Bah. If I had such powers, Hitler would not have been born, religion would be dead, and everyone would be perfectly equal to everyone else in society... in regards of their service to me, the Emperor. Sometimes you just have to step up to the hypothetical plate and change the world as we know it.

--------------------
You lose.
Agent
Member # 1934
Profile Homepage #8
What a happy world, Tully.

There are a few things that I would like people to forget, but most of them would be pretty selfish. In general, the more people know, the better. It should help prevent history from repeating itself.

--------------------
You acquire an item: Radio Free Foil
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #9
quote:
Originally written by Andraste:

It should help prevent history from repeating itself.
Either that or it will give people an example to follow. Would people be racist if they didn't learn how from someone else first? I think such ideas could be eliminated with mass memory alterations.

Edit: Does history prevent more hate than it propagates? I think not.

[ Saturday, November 04, 2006 16:00: Message edited by: Emperor Tullegolar ]

--------------------
You lose.
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #10
Dikiyoba voted to change nothing, since Dikiyoba can already replay games without having to change Dikiyoba's memories.
Agent
Member # 1934
Profile Homepage #11
So, Tullegolar, you would just wipe everyones memory and set yourself up as Emperor?

People learn from mistakes. If you pay attention to what happened in the past, you can avoid the same mistakes in the future.

You know what I've learned from history? We will argue over this and neither of us will change our opinions.

[ Saturday, November 04, 2006 16:16: Message edited by: Andraste ]

--------------------
You acquire an item: Radio Free Foil
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #12
Lego, once again you surprise me with the surprising amount of hatred and bitterness in your views, and in your perceptions of everyone here.

Okay, so memories and history give people reasons for being racist. But if you could modify memories, you'd just be hitting the reset button... those same misguiding episodes that sparked racism in history could just be repeated many, many more times, leading to a need for more and more editing. To prevent racism, you'd need total thought control, which seems to be just fine by you, as long as you're the one in control.

(Wow, I just kind of used a slippery slope argument. That makes me want to kick myself a bit... but my point stands!)

--------------------

Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #13
Of course I would set myself up as Emperor. Prepare for Mind Control!

IMAGE(http://www.alicia-logic.com/capsimages/tb_053EvilReach.jpg)

If I did want to use my powers for good for some reason, I would erase the hate from history. There are far more people who look at history and think "I hate those people for doing that" than there are people who think "I will definitly not do that again." So much can be gained from erasing historical hatreds, much more than can be gained from leaving them there and hoping people will forgive and learn from them.

Edit: Don't you just wish you could erase my memories and teach me to be a good person?

[ Saturday, November 04, 2006 16:22: Message edited by: Emperor Tullegolar ]

--------------------
You lose.
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #14
quote:
Originally written by Lego:

If I did want to use my powers for good for some reason, I would erase the hate from history. There are far more people who look at history and think "I hate those people for doing that" than there are people who think "I will definitly not do that again." So much can be gained from erasing historical hatreds, much more than can be gained from leaving them there and hoping people will forgive and learn from them.
Okay, that still won't stop people from forming new and exciting hatreds.

quote:
Originally written by Lego:

Edit: Don't you just wish you could erase my memories and teach me to be a good person?
Don't tempt me. :P

--------------------

Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #15
What would they form these new hatreds from? Religion would be gone, so that's 99% of all hatred right there gone with it. Color maybe? I think color based discrimination started due to cultural differences. When Europe first came to Africa, they literally were inferior, and all hatred towards Africans today are based on that assumption. If you take culture out of the picture, I believe that color will no longer be an issue.

If color still is an issue, that would simply mean that humans are naturally hateful. Are you saying humans are naturally hateful?

--------------------
You lose.
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #16
Originally by Emperor Tullegolar:

quote:
Bah. If I had such powers, Hitler would not have been born, religion would be dead, and everyone would be perfectly equal to everyone else in society... in regards of their service to me, the Emperor.
quote:
What would they form these new hatreds from? Religion would be gone, so that's 99% of all hatred right there gone with it.
What is it with you (or anyone, really) hating religion as a whole? It's not inherently evil. Yes, terrible things have been done in the name of religion. But good things have been done in the name of religion, and terrible things have been done in the name of almost everything.

Dikiyoba.
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #17
Anything good that religion has ever done could have happened just as easily without the religion part. Can people not be taught compassion without also being taught servitude to a mysterious unknown power?

No, all religion does on its own is divide people. Without it, there would be one less wall.

--------------------
You lose.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #18
quote:
Originally written by Emperor Tullegolar:

No, all religion does on its own is divide people. Without it, there would be one less wall.
You're so cute!!!

IMAGE(http://www.pbs.org/parents/images/tvprograms/program-art-barney.gif)

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

Guardian
Member # 5360
Profile #19
-X- went for the world domination option. And if you complain, remember, -X- will make sure that everyone likes to serve my every whim.

[ Saturday, November 04, 2006 17:29: Message edited by: -X- ]

--------------------
May the fires of Undeath burn in your soul, and consume it.
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #20
Personally, I'd erase a few of my more embarrassing memories. :P

quote:
Originally written by Emperor Tullegolar:

Anything good that religion has ever done could have happened just as easily without the religion part. Can people not be taught compassion without also being taught servitude to a mysterious unknown power?

People can be compassionate without being religious, sure. I would consider it illogical to be so, though, so in my case at least, I'm a much better person because of my faith.

[ Saturday, November 04, 2006 17:25: Message edited by: Ash Lael ]

--------------------
SupaNik: Aran, you're not big enough to threaten Ash. Dammit, even JV had to think twice.
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #21
I choose the recent memory option. Mainly because it comes closest to what I would say. In certain cases, I think memory alteration would be acceptable. If someone went through some sort of severe psychological trauma due to some event, you could wipe the memory of that event, thus allowing the person to live a normal, happy life.

The one factor I'm not sure anyone is considering is the human factor: mistakes. You could easily make some sort of mistake while altering someone's memory, doing some serious damage. You could wipe the wrong memory, for example. It thus becomes a situation of weighing the risks with the benefits, and whether the risk is worth the reward.

[ Saturday, November 04, 2006 17:29: Message edited by: Nioca ]

--------------------
I tried to think of something witty to put here.

Needless to say, I failed.
Agent
Member # 3364
Profile Homepage #22
I'd erase the memory of every terrorist so they'd forget what they were fighting against and how to make the bombs/fly the airplanes/use the weapons that they've been hurting people with.

Function: noun
Terrorist: a person who uses the systematic use of terror especially as a means of coercion.

Note 'terrorist', not 'rebel'. While some terrorists can be rebels, not all rebels are terrorists.

--------------------
"Even the worst Terror from Hell can be transformed to a testimony from Heaven!" - Rev. David Wood 6\23\05

"Do all the good you can, by all the means you can, in all the ways you can, in all the places you can, at all the times you can, to all the people you can, as long as you ever can." - John Wesley
Agent
Member # 5814
Profile #23
You realize that that definition (among many other common ones) could be argued to include the USA Army?

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon
Well, I'm at least pretty

Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #24
I'd reshape the world according to my utopian plan since I have enough hubris to believe that I could do the whole run the earth thing better than God.

In the current generation of teenage America, religion is being more and more casually practiced. I hope that will prevent at least violence from over zealousness in religion.

--------------------
Thuryl: I mean, most of us don't go around consuming our own bodily fluids, no matter how delicious they are.
====
Alorael: War and violence would end if we all had each other's babies!
====
Drakefyre: Those are hideous mangos.

Pages