Mindcontrol - sort of

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Mindcontrol - sort of
Agent
Member # 3364
Profile Homepage #25
quote:
Originally written by Pope John XX:

You realize that that definition (among many other common ones) could be argued to include the USA Army?
And I don't have a problem with that.

--------------------
"Even the worst Terror from Hell can be transformed to a testimony from Heaven!" - Rev. David Wood 6\23\05

"Do all the good you can, by all the means you can, in all the ways you can, in all the places you can, at all the times you can, to all the people you can, as long as you ever can." - John Wesley
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #26
We already have some of that mind control where psychiatrists, police, and others of that ilk plant false memories in people. This has led to trials where some one is accused of a crime from the "victim's" repressed memory, a false confession bullied out of an innocent person after hours of questioning, or just a misinterpretation of a comment. Changing some one's memory is easy if you want to invest the time.

The fact that the memory is so unbelievable hasn't stopped people from spending years in jail when the argument is that a child couldn't make it up in so much detail. It just takes hours of coaching and making the person have some incentive to believe the new memory.
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #27
Garrison, nice sig. :D

quote:
Originally written by Lego:

No, all religion does on its own is divide people. Without it, there would be one less wall.
Thank you, Mr. Reagan.

quote:
Originally spewed forth by Lego:
If color still is an issue, that would simply mean that humans are naturally hateful. Are you saying humans are naturally hateful?
DIE.

You're putting words in my mouth, and you're wasting your own breath. Why are you leaping to color? I just think that people do stupid things sometimes, and those stupid things form irrational prejudices.

Erasing history won't prevent someone from doing something stupid to anger somebody and making that a bone of contention until one of them dies! That sort of thing happens everyday, so a single sweep of the past won't be effective. I tried to convey this to you before, but you seem to be intent on spreading your thought control dogma, instead of participating in a reasonable debate.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #28
I don't trust anyone to rewrite the memories of everyone in the world to create a new history. (And the written record as well, I assume.) If we're going with super history alteration, though, I again find myself agreeing with Ola on a few things.

Racism can probably be eliminated. In the case he mentioned, he's got cause and effect reversed. Europe wanted slaves and Africa was unable (and in some cases unwilling) to oppose European intrusions, so slavery was justified by declaring Africans inferior. Remove that record from history and all the millions of incidents based on it and you'd have a very different world, but one with substantially less racism.

Of course systematic discrimination on principle isn't the only thing in play. People generally don't like people who are different, and different colors come with different cultures and different socioeconomic groups. As long as we're messing with people's minds, let's make multiculturalism universally accepted. Hooray (maybe)! We're all-powerful psychics, right? That said, I think fear and hatred of difference is probably so ingrained that you couldn't leave anyone's brain substantially intact and free of racism.

Religion hasn't done anything that can't be replaced by non-religious social institutions. If you need religion to make you good then I question what kind of good you believe in and why you follow it. What prevents the social functions of the church (or the Church) from being undertaken by an entirely secular organization? No, not all religion is bad, but religion has been and continues to be bad and none of its good is inherently religious.

—Alorael, who sees a great deal of 1984 in Tully's changing history. If nobody remembers Hitler, did Hitler exist?

[ Saturday, November 04, 2006 19:10: Message edited by: Iran-Contra-Dance ]
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #29
quote:
Originally written by Ephesos:

Erasing history won't prevent someone from doing something stupid to anger somebody and making that a bone of contention until one of them dies!
How can you compare a misunderstanding between a couple of people to ancient hatreds between races and peoples that go back thousands of years? I'm not saying hatred as a concept will be eliminated, I'm saying that historical hatreds, you know, the kinds that start wars, will be. It may not be everything that you want, but would it not be an improvement?

--------------------
You lose.
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #30
quote:
Originally written by Ephesos:

Thank you, Mr. Reagan.
quote:
Originally written by guess who:

—Alorael, who sees a great deal of 1984 in Tully's changing history.
Coincidence?

--------------------
You lose.

Pages