Humans Only

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Humans Only
Agent
Member # 6581
Profile Homepage #50
quote:
Originally written by Emperor Tullegolar:

Lame. "Oh, Tullegolar, I can't answer that question, there are too many facets, wah." Give me a break, I asked for comments on human nature. You've nothing to say about the subject? Are humans guided by society, greed, emotions, empathy? Nothing? I was expecting more interesting answers and viewpoints. Most of you would rather avoid saying anything, it seems.
quote:
Originally written by Guardian Magma:

Meh. Humans are like parassites, not mammals -- they came in a place, they grow up, they use all the resources of the place and when they run out they go in another place.

Seriously, it is the same for our planet. Sooner or later it will meltdown. Only two things can happen when the planet will explode, in my opinion:

1- We all die;
2- Since Mars is colonized, some people survive. They will do the same errors in this future? I dunno. Even if I think more yes than no.

EDIT: Don't blame me, I don't hate all humans, but there are too many people that act just for their interest. And they are the most powerful ones.

--------------------
Download Geneforge 4: Rebellion

You have 6 posts. Nobody cares what you think. - Thuryl

Wikipedia may be your friend, but UBB is not. - Dikiyoba
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #51
How about this:

1. Do people tend to act in ways that our society regards as selfish or in ways regarded as altruistic?

2. To people tend to have or lack empathy?

—Alorael, who maintains that all actions are taken with self interest. Ablation of guilt is self-interest. Obligation is either a moral obligation, which improves self-regard, or external obligation, which is undertaken so others will think better of you or reward you. The easy way out is obviously self-interest. Recognition is only one compensation for good deeds, and self-recognition counts. If you claim you don't feel good about helping other people than your social programming has failed and you may be a sociopath.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #52
quote:

Lame. "Oh, Tullegolar, I can't answer that question, there are too many facets, wah." Give me a break, I asked for comments on human nature. You've nothing to say about the subject? Are humans guided by society, greed, emotions, empathy? Nothing? I was expecting more interesting answers and viewpoints. Most of you would rather avoid saying anything, it seems.
That's because we don't think of the world in the black and white way you do. A lot of us are saying your question is meaningless because it assumes humans are either good or evil or that humans can naturally be good or evil. A lot of us say the question is utter nonsense just like debating the moral value of water.

You might not agree, but don't call that viewpoint lame.

[ Friday, November 03, 2006 13:34: Message edited by: *i ]

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #53
I think the average person you are likely to meet is inherently good, actually. Humans are in no way perfect, and they do a lot of bad and evil things, and there are some truly twisted people out there, and that people's goodness gets lost sometimes when they are put in truly desperate situations, but I still think people are good overall.

Dikiyoba.
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #54
quote:
Originally written by Come the Rivers:

-Alorael, who maintains that all actions are taken with self interest. Ablation of guilt is self-interest. Obligation is either a moral obligation, which improves self-regard, or external obligation, which is undertaken so others will think better of you or reward you.

You are simply re-defining self-interest to include any possible action any creature might take. :) The term "self-interest", as defined in common usage, is somewhat ambiguous, but your definition is so broad that it becomes meaningless. If you want to define self-interest that way, let's rephrase the question: is physical gain (wealth, power, harming your enemies) a stronger motivator for people than compassion, guilt, and other such things?

quote:
Originally written by Dikiyoba:

I think the average person you are likely to meet is inherently good, actually. Humans are in no way perfect, and they do a lot of bad and evil things, and there are some truly twisted people out there, and that people's goodness gets lost sometimes when they are put in truly desperate situations, but I still think people are good overall.

Dikiyoba.

Well said. I should have probably added something like this to my overall "nobody is pure good or pure evil" post.

PS And for the quiz I got:

Citizen    65%
Altruist   50%
Loner     50%
Pacifist   40%
Conqueror 35%
Guardian   35%
Hedonist   20%
Miscreant  20%
Destroyer  20%
Narcissist  0%
Congratulations. You are a Citizen. You probably believe that no one is above the law, and that the law is what makes life easier. You probably dislike chaos in all of its forms and, odds are, your dwelling is neat and tidy. Combine this result with your second to get your answer.

So the result is Citizen/Altruis/Loner, which looks pretty accurate. The 0% Narcissism looks like the only 0 reported so far.

[ Friday, November 03, 2006 15:32: Message edited by: Zeviz ]

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #55
You scored as Miscreant.

Congratulations. You are a miscreant. You are typically the person that winds up in and out of jail. You probably believe that violence is always the answer. Add your second result to see what you are.

Miscreant 60%
Loner 55%
Hedonist 50%
Citizen 50%
Conqueror 45%
Altruist 40%
Destroyer 40%
Guardian 25%
Pacifist 25%
Narcissist 20%
Oh, come on. Don't act all surprised.

[ Friday, November 03, 2006 16:00: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #56
I am a citizen.

Citizen 70%
Pacifist 65%
Guardian 55%
Conqueror 50%
Destroyer 45%
Miscreant 35%
Altruist 30%
Narcissist 30%
Loner 25%
Hedonist 25%

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #57
Zeviz: It's more of a philosophical point than a practical one. No, not everyone values material or even "selfish" things more than being a good person. I just think it's worth pointing out that true altruism isn't. There's always some compensation.

—Alorael, who couldn't take that quiz because it was written only half literately. What does that say about him?
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #58
Originally by Alorael:

quote:
—Alorael, who couldn't take that quiz because it was written only half literately. What does that say about him?
That you should stay far, far away from the rest of the quizzes on that site.

Dikiyoba still wishes Dikiyoba could see the description for Loner.
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #59
quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

You scored as Miscreant.
quote:
Originally written by *i:

I am a citizen.
...are these supposed to be surprising? Then again, are any of these supposed to be surprising?

Lego: I feel basically the same way as *i, he just put it more eloquently and posted a few hours before I could.

Alo: I think there's a ton of gray area with regards to altruism, but I see your point. It's just that it's such a depressing idea...

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #60
quote:
Originally written by Ephesos:

Alo: I think there's a ton of gray area with regards to altruism, but I see your point. It's just that it's such a depressing idea...
"Everyone ultimately does everything because for some reason they want to" is a depressing idea? Would "people routinely choose to do things without any good reason whatsoever" be less depressing?

[ Friday, November 03, 2006 18:07: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #61
quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

"Everyone ultimately does everything because for some reason they want to" is a depressing idea? Would "people routinely choose to do things without any good reason whatsoever" be less depressing?
Drat. Good point.

I do believe I lose again. :D

--------------------

Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #62
It is not depressing because it means simply that a person who does good deeds feels emotionally rewarded for doing so. This implies that people inherently have the capacity to do good in a selfless manner.

Like Tully, I think that people start out more overtly selfish and then are culturally inundated with morality, after which they can be more actively good. People will still always have some of both, though.

As a final point, I defy anyone to argue that a human growing up in the wilderness will not be extremely selfish and have little compassion. This would imply a natural leaning toward evil, but this is in the pathologically unnatural case of seclusion. It is more natural for humans to grow up together in a community.

--------------------
Thuryl: I mean, most of us don't go around consuming our own bodily fluids, no matter how delicious they are.
====
Alorael: War and violence would end if we all had each other's babies!
====
Drakefyre: Those are hideous mangos.
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #63
Wouldn't that really also be learned? Anyone who goes through 16 or more years of life has to learn something, and if there's literally no opportunity for them to learn compassion for other humans and plenty of opportunity for them to learn to be selfish in order to survive...
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #64
Some of you are actually agreeing with me? I shall offer an opposing argument as well, then. Aristotle explained what it means to be "good" and why humans naturally lean towards it rather than evil. It is a simple one word answer: empathy.

When you see someone else suffer, you feel a instinctual need to ease this persons suffering, even if it does not benefit you at all. Garrison was right when he said that the personal satisfaction people get from good deeds makes people naturally good. Even someone living in the woods does not like to see suffering, simply because it triggers memories of their own suffering, and thus a natural desire to remedy it.

One could even argue that that person in the woods would seek only to benefit others rather than themselves. After all, is it not society that teaches us the value of material goods and the importance of personal accomplishment?

And so, people are naturally good.

--------------------
You lose.
Lifecrafter
Member # 6388
Profile #65
quote:

I didn't avoid commentary on human nature. My comment is the best comment you can ask for: that 'human nature' does not exist.

I didn't say anything about the question being 'too complex.' It's too broad, especially because 'basically good' and 'basically evil' are terms that (a) presume the existence of good and evil without furnishing a definition and (b) presume people can be basically anything. Nonetheless, I answered it.

quote:
Originally written by Garrison:

As a final point, I defy anyone to argue that a human growing up in the wilderness will not be extremely selfish and have little compassion. This would imply a natural leaning toward evil, but this is in the pathologically unnatural case of seclusion. It is more natural for humans to grow up together in a community.
Whimsical ignorance strikes again:
(a) People are 'selfish' in a 'state of nature'? Covered that one. See my link on page 1.
(b) 'It is more natural for humans to grow up together in a community' - AAARGH! Would you all just stop using the word 'natural' ever? It's a meaningless power word and if you use it I hate you.
(c) Humans are biologically programmed for social behavior (see a); a human baby in the woods will die off because of hospitalization even if capable of finding food. People just don't thrive in isolation unless they have serious psychological problems.

quote:

Some of you are actually agreeing with me? I shall offer an opposing argument as well, then. Aristotle explained what it means to be "good" and why humans naturally lean towards it rather than evil. It is a simple one word answer: empathy.
Aristotle thought the world was flat, women were subhuman, and sex with boys was a civic duty. Just thought you'd like to know.

quote:
When you see someone else suffer, you feel a instinctual need to ease this persons suffering, even if it does not benefit you at all. Garrison was right when he said that the personal satisfaction people get from good deeds makes people naturally good. Even someone living in the woods does not like to see suffering, simply because it triggers memories of their own suffering, and thus a natural desire to remedy it.

One could even argue that that person in the woods would seek only to benefit others rather than themselves. After all, is it not society that teaches us the value of material goods and the importance of personal accomplishment?

People are naturally good because Aristotle. Ipse dixit!

[ Friday, November 03, 2006 21:11: Message edited by: The Worst Man Ever ]
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #66
Oh, I'm sure we're hard-wired with some empathy. It's good for the species. That only applies to what we see and really feel. I think most people could order a dozen people to be tortured to death much more easily than they could kill a single person with their own hands no matter how easy it was made.

—Alorael, who isn't sure that that's human nature and not cultural indoctrination. Humans seem culturally adept at relegating certain groups to non-empathic categories. New world slavery, the Holocaust (yes, Godwin here), anti-Jewish pogroms, and even to some extent current attitudes towards Muslims all show how empathy can be conveniently put on hold.
Lifecrafter
Member # 6388
Profile #67
quote:
Originally written by Come the Rivers:

Oh, I'm sure we're hard-wired with some empathy. It's good for the species. That only applies to what we see and really feel. I think most people could order a dozen people to be tortured to death much more easily than they could kill a single person with their own hands no matter how easy it was made.

—Alorael, who isn't sure that that's human nature and not cultural indoctrination. Humans seem culturally adept at relegating certain groups to non-empathic categories. New world slavery, the Holocaust (yes, Godwin here), anti-Jewish pogroms, and even to some extent current attitudes towards Muslims all show how empathy can be conveniently put on hold.

That is because the Muslims are outside of our monkeysphere.

This is all biology. For the record, philosophy is pretty damn useless at determining how humans actually are, because 'how humans actually are' is governed by discrete chemical and biological processes - nothing more, nothing less.

[ Friday, November 03, 2006 21:17: Message edited by: The Worst Man Ever ]
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #68
It's philosophy precisely because it's useless. It is a plausible but fundamentally unprovable statement about the underlying motivations for all human action. That's in the realm of pure meta-babble.

—Alorael, who is also quite sure that humanity can be explained away as biochemistry. Unfortunately there are a few more Nobel Prizes that will have to be distributed before anyone is ready to start biochemicopsychoanalysis.
Apprentice
Member # 7630
Profile #69
I was surprised <table border='0' cellpadding='5' cellspacing='0' width='600'><tr><td></td><td> You scored as <b>Destroyer</b>. Congratulations. You're a Destroyer. For the record, this means you are probably Psychotic as these questions were taken from a Psychiatry book. You either hate order or view it as a tool for control. Your second trait is probably Narcissist or Miscreant. Combine this result and the second for what you are.<br><br><table border='0' width='300' cellspacing='0' cellpadding='0'><tr><td><p><font face='Arial' size='1'>Destroyer</font></p></td><td><table border='1' cellpadding='0' cellspacing='0' width='95' bgcolor='#dddddd'><tr><td></td></tr></table></td><td><font face='Arial' size='1'>95%</font></td></tr><tr><td><p><font face='Arial' size='1'>Miscreant</font></p></td><td><table border='1' cellpadding='0' cellspacing='0' width='85' bgcolor='#dddddd'><tr><td></td></tr></table></td><td><font face='Arial' size='1'>85%</font></td></tr><tr><td><p><font face='Arial' size='1'>Narcissist</font></p></td><td><table border='1' cellpadding='0' cellspacing='0' width='80' bgcolor='#dddddd'><tr><td></td></tr></table></td><td><font face='Arial' size='1'>80%</font></td></tr><tr><td><p><font face='Arial' size='1'>Hedonist</font></p></td><td><table border='1' cellpadding='0' cellspacing='0' width='75' bgcolor='#dddddd'><tr><td></td></tr></table></td><td><font face='Arial' size='1'>75%</font></td></tr><tr><td><p><font face='Arial' size='1'>Guardian</font></p></td><td><table border='1' cellpadding='0' cellspacing='0' width='75' bgcolor='#dddddd'><tr><td></td></tr></table></td><td><font face='Arial' size='1'>75%</font></td></tr><tr><td><p><font face='Arial' size='1'>Citizen</font></p></td><td><table border='1' cellpadding='0' cellspacing='0' width='70' bgcolor='#dddddd'><tr><td></td></tr></table></td><td><font face='Arial' size='1'>70%</font></td></tr><tr><td><p><font face='Arial' size='1'>Conqueror</font></p></td><td><table border='1' cellpadding='0' cellspacing='0' width='70' bgcolor='#dddddd'><tr><td></td></tr></table></td><td><font face='Arial' size='1'>70%</font></td></tr><tr><td><p><font face='Arial' size='1'>Altruist</font></p></td><td><table border='1' cellpadding='0' cellspacing='0' width='70' bgcolor='#dddddd'><tr><td></td></tr></table></td><td><font face='Arial' size='1'>70%</font></td></tr><tr><td><p><font face='Arial' size='1'>Loner</font></p></td><td><table border='1' cellpadding='0' cellspacing='0' width='65' bgcolor='#dddddd'><tr><td></td></tr></table></td><td><font face='Arial' size='1'>65%</font></td></tr><tr><td><p><font face='Arial' size='1'>Pacifist</font></p></td><td><table border='1' cellpadding='0' cellspacing='0' width='60' bgcolor='#dddddd'><tr><td></td></tr></table></td><td><font face='Arial' size='1'>60%</font></td></tr></td></tr></table><br><a href='http://quizfarm.com/test.php?q_id=133470'>Where is your moral compass pointed?</a><br><font face='Arial' size='1'>created with <a href='http://quizfarm.com'>QuizFarm.com</a></font></table>

[ Saturday, November 04, 2006 09:43: Message edited by: Exiled Necromancer ]

--------------------
Phobias are afraid of Chuck Norris.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #70
:eek: Copy and paste (and edit) might look better.

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #71
As you may have noticed, you can't use HTML in your posts here.

—Alorael, who believes there are very good reasons for that. Some people just don't understand that malicious code can target people and not computers.
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #72
quote:

(stuff about empathy)

(does double-take)

Why can't my brain comprehend this? Why do I feel like somebody must've hijacked your account and written this to make you look bad?

Then again, it explains a lot of your other theories...

Here's a question: If you're meeting someone for the first time, do you assume anything about them in terms of them being a good/evil person? Heck, it could be reduced to pleasant/unpleasant.

Personally, I assume good/pleasant until they prove me wrong.

--------------------

Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #73
quote:
Originally written by The Worst Man Ever:

quote:
Originally written by Garrison:

Whimsical ignorance strikes again:
(a) People are 'selfish' in a 'state of nature'? Covered that one. See my link on page 1.
(b) 'It is more natural for humans to grow up together in a community' - AAARGH! Would you all just stop using the word 'natural' ever? It's a meaningless power word and if you use it I hate you.
(c) Humans are biologically programmed for social behavior (see a); a human baby in the woods will die off because of hospitalization even if capable of finding food. People just don't thrive in isolation unless they have serious psychological problems.
I think you missed the point of that paragraph. I use the word natural to mean "more normal," and the fact that babies usually die off and are affected psychological in abnormal ways is the whole reason why growing up in the wilderness is the "pathologically unnatural case." Take the few documented cases of feral children as examples. They start off as being very wild and show little compassion, but as is the case of victor, they learn to express that more as they come into more frequent contact with others. I never said they have no goodness within them; I merely stated that a person growing up in total seclusion probably would err on the side of survival and self-preservation before thinking about being selfless. The focus of that paragraph anyway was that people are not super evil.

--------------------
Thuryl: I mean, most of us don't go around consuming our own bodily fluids, no matter how delicious they are.
====
Alorael: War and violence would end if we all had each other's babies!
====
Drakefyre: Those are hideous mangos.
Guardian
Member # 5360
Profile #74
-X-'s impression is that humans are shaped by their environment and experiences to be good or evil. Genetic tendencies can lean the balance one way or the other, but cannot rule out the possibility of good or evil. Even Hitler could have been good if he had a correctly edited upbringing.

But, all in all, good and evil are concepts, not absolutes. The definition of "good" for a person you consider evil will most likely be your definition of evil, or close to it. It is therefore impossible to correctly categorize races, people, or groups as "good" or "evil".

[ Saturday, November 04, 2006 20:24: Message edited by: -X- ]

--------------------
May the fires of Undeath burn in your soul, and consume it.

Pages