Xeon, The Beginning

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Xeon, The Beginning
Apprentice
Member # 7609
Profile #0
Here is an preview of what the plot will be like:
Sucia Island the place where great Shaper sercrets are held really is just
a cover up for what is beneath it. Not eve the Avernites know of this place.
A few miles out past Sucia is a massive island protected by a powerful barrier not ev
en the Shapers know about. This place is where a portal brings people from Xeon down
to there secret underground land. This land called Xeon guards this sacred place.
It is well guarded by Xeonites. Xeonites are a powerful merge of Shapers and Avernites
best warriors. These people have maintained a highly magical, powerful unknown exsistance
for a long while...but know the Rebellion is coming. You see along time ago before the Shapers exsisted,
before Avernum was even discovered. The island was discovered by 2 lost brothers. These 2 sacred people
were called
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #1
You sir, are a genius. I especially like the name of the island in your ploy. I mean plot.

:D

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

His Mighty Tentacle
Member # 627
Profile #2
Sounds incredibly insipid and lame. Not to mention a complete ripoff of already existing games.

How meaningless.

Try your own material.

And Xeon? Come on. How oringal can you be? You didn't even try to come up with anything new and different... Why on earth would these people logically name themselves "Xeon." They do not come from a planet named Xeon. They obviously do not have computer processors named Xeon. There is no basis in their manufactured reality to called themselves Xeon. At least go for something a bit more classical or imaginative and not an ultra modern computer buzzword that has no place in archaic realms. How trite.

Avernites? Come on. Plain vanilla fantasy stuff there, nothing special. If you are going to rip somebody off, do the whole drow elf cliche or something.

--------------------
If I could make just one wish, I would want a tasty vlish.

Geneforge IV. Still no tasty vlish.
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #3
Not to mention that this topic was already LOCKED once.

Seriously, if the previous one was locked, this one most certainly will. It has copyright infringement written all over it.

[ Monday, October 30, 2006 14:41: Message edited by: Nioca ]

--------------------
I tried to think of something witty to put here.

Needless to say, I failed.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #4
quote:
Originally written by Nioca:

Not to mention that this topic was already LOCKED once.

Seriously, if the previous one was locked, this one most certainly will. It has copyright infringement written all over it.

Now why did you have to go and mention that?

--------------------
quote:

Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #5
And how exactly are you going to turn this idea into a game again? What programming language are you using? Do you know how to use it well? Do you have an engine in mind? What will it look like? Is it even feasible or realistic? I'd be more worried about those things than the plot at the moment.

Dikiyoba.
Guardian
Member # 5360
Profile #6
-X- sighs. Again. XxX, change your name. Please. -X- begs you. And, while you're at it, stop making lame ripoffs of games that already exist! This has already been explained for you. You cannot make any games involving Jeff's explicit, written, and given in front of witnesses, permission. You do not have that. This was excusable the first time, due to the possibilty of ignorance, but not again. You know that this will not be tolerated. You get another two "Plm" point in -X-'s Book, and Spooky Salmon gets a "Wesley" point for his utter lack of taste in games.

Urrrachti smite you both. Or, failing at that, have a Moderator lock this topic, or, better yet, ban XxX for implied intent of copyright infringement. -X- begs you.

--------------------
May the fires of Undeath burn in your soul, and consume it.
Warrior
Member # 5302
Profile #7
Didn't XxX say he was 10 or something? The responses here seem a tad excessive, even if they are, in some respects, correct.
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #8
quote:
Originally written by -X-:

-X- sighs. Again. XxX, change your name. Please. -X- begs you.

There is already a user named X on these boards (member #496). If it's ok for you to take a similar name, it shouldn't be a problem for XxX either.

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #9
quote:
Originally written by Arachnid:

Didn't XxX say he was 10 or something? The responses here seem a tad excessive, even if they are, in some respects, correct.
Hmmm... If I had to choose between having some members yell at me or getting banned, I'd go with the angry members.

But that's just me.

[ Monday, October 30, 2006 16:08: Message edited by: Nioca ]

--------------------
I tried to think of something witty to put here.

Needless to say, I failed.
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #10
quote:
Originally written by Nioca:

quote:
Originally written by Arachnid:

Hmmm... If I had to choose between having some members yell at me or getting banned, I'd go with the angry members.

Isn't that what moderators are for? If mods haven't given him any warnings, he is unlikely to be banned right away. If they have given him warnings, additional yelling is unnecessary.

I know that backseat moderation isn't viewed too harshly here, but it's still not the duty of every member to yell at people for breaking rules. (This isn't directed at you personally, but at everybody who enjoys backseat moderation.)

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #11
All right, I'm going to step in here and say a few things:

1) What you are proposing is copyright infringement and is, for all practical purposes, illegal. I suggest you stop now.

2) The whole combining Avernum and Geneforge thing has been proposed before. For many reasons, it is not a good idea. Aside from being ridiculous, it reeks of uncreativity.

3) If you want to be a game designer, it's a lot harder than you think.

C/C++ are not particulary easy languages to learn unless you have some background already. Start easy with Visual Basic, it will teach you how to program. Developing effective algorithms takes a decent mathematical background (think high school level at least) and a lot of practical experience.

Writing effective stories is perhaps even more difficult. You see, as I grew older I came to realize the Exile series (yes, I started playing then) were not particularly effective masterpieces plotwise. Not to say the Exile games are bad, they have their own charm. However, we've seen them all already. My advice on writing a good story is this: focus on the individual characters, not large groups of faceless soldiers, a lot of good will flow from that.

By all means, we want to encourage game developers here. We obviously like to play games. However, realize the difficulties and the pitfalls. What you have now will most likely not be well received.

4) Finally, let's not be too hard on the kid. Let's give constructive advice from now on.

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Agent
Member # 27
Profile #12
XxX = Steven Morris
Dollop of Whipped Cream
Member # 391
Profile Homepage #13
Am I the only one having arghhhhhhhhh flashbacks here?

--------------------
"Tyranicus is about the only one that still posts in the Nethergate Forum." —Randomizer
Spiderweb Chat Room
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #14
Let's ignore the plot for now. I'm with *i when I say that a working game engine is the absolutely essential first step to anything. If you can't program that, you'll have to stick with writing the great American novel.

—Alorael, who will deliver a lock to this thread if it does not progress meaningfully beyond copyright infringement.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #15
XxX, I strongly suggest that you try to work with Blades of Avernum for a while. It's a good way to get an idea of how much work the design process is on even a small scale. That makes it less of a shock once you realize how much more work it takes to make a game from scratch.

It'll also help you refine your story-telling skills.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Agent
Member # 3364
Profile Homepage #16
quote:
Originally written by Ephesos:

XxX, I strongly suggest that you try to work with Blades of Avernum for a while. It's a good way to get an idea of how much work the design process is on even a small scale. That makes it less of a shock once you realize how much more work it takes to make a game from scratch.

It'll also help you refine your story-telling skills.

Seconded. Really, this is exactly what I thought when reading the last posts of the previous thread. Then I saw that Ephesos already said it, but I want to emphasise that it's a really good idea. Start small, get some practice, gain some experience, train your abilities... just like an adventurer would... only as a designer.

[ Monday, October 30, 2006 19:51: Message edited by: Jewels ]

--------------------
"Even the worst Terror from Hell can be transformed to a testimony from Heaven!" - Rev. David Wood 6\23\05

"Do all the good you can, by all the means you can, in all the ways you can, in all the places you can, at all the times you can, to all the people you can, as long as you ever can." - John Wesley
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #17
The best part is that making a derivative story of Avernum and Geneforge is perfectly fine and legal in Blades of Avernum. And we need more scenarios, anyway.
Lifecrafter
Member # 6388
Profile #18
quote:
Originally written by -X-:

I'M A GODDAMN GIMMICK
FYT
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #19
quote:
Originally written by XxX:

These 2 sacred people were called {end of post}
Am I the only one burning with curiosity over this cliff hanger?

--------------------
You lose.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #20
quote:
Originally written by Emperor Tullegolar:

quote:

I like your sense of

--------------------
quote:

Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #21
It's too bad that XxX can't see some of the emails from Jeff about the frustrations of getting Geneforge 4 to work perfectly. Starting from a well established game engine and backround plot its still has some problems that will irritate players. Actually the one that is still there has been seen in all the previous games to some degree.

Starting a game from scratch involves more then a good plot and characters. You need a lot of programming experience to make it run smoothly unless you are writing a strictly text game.
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #22
quote:
Originally written by Emperor Tullegolar:

quote:

I think so.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Agent
Member # 6581
Profile Homepage #23
It seems very difficult to have an original plot...

--------------------
Download Geneforge 4: Rebellion

You have 6 posts. Nobody cares what you think. - Thuryl

Wikipedia may be your friend, but UBB is not. - Dikiyoba
Agent
Member # 3364
Profile Homepage #24
Which is why scenarios are so much better with one.

--------------------
"Even the worst Terror from Hell can be transformed to a testimony from Heaven!" - Rev. David Wood 6\23\05

"Do all the good you can, by all the means you can, in all the ways you can, in all the places you can, at all the times you can, to all the people you can, as long as you ever can." - John Wesley

Pages