Books and movies

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Books and movies
Shock Trooper
Member # 6908
Profile #0
This poll was enspired by the previous about Hitchhikers Guide to Galaxy.
Since nowadays media industry often unites game-book-movie production in one media stream, I want to know your opinion.
In my experience the movie based on the book always kills the plot. So it is better to watch the movie first, then to read the book to have the necessary explanations.

[ Wednesday, August 02, 2006 22:02: Message edited by: Meeshka ]

Poll Information
This poll contains 2 question(s). 26 user(s) have voted.
You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

function launch_voter () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=vote;pollid=xUDSTWQCpVkt"); return true; } // end launch_voter function launch_viewer () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=view;pollid=xUDSTWQCpVkt"); return true; } // end launch_viewer function launch_window (url) { preview = window.open( url, "preview", "width=550,height=300,toolbar=no,location=no,directories=no,status,menubar=no,scrollbars,resizable,copyhistory=no" ); window.preview.focus(); return preview; } // end launch_window IMAGE(votenow.gif)     IMAGE(voteresults.gif)

--------------------
9 masks sing in a choir:
Gnome Dwarf Slith
Giant Troll Troglo
Human Nephil Vahnatai
"If the mask under mask to SE of mask to the left of mask and to the right of me is the mask below the mask to the right of mask to the right of mask below me is the same, then who am I?"

radix: +2 nicothodes: +1 salmon:+1
Infiltrator
Member # 1092
Profile Homepage #1
I'd rather just to watch the movie. If I could be bothered, possibly play the game afterwards.

--------------------
When you think you can't get any lower in life and hit rock bottom, God hands you a shovel.

Why should I say somthin intelligent when idiots like you make me look intelligent in the first place.
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #2
I always go for the original source first. As far as books based off movies go, I rarely ever read them. There truly is no point.

--------------------
"You're drinking liquor because you're thirsty? How nasty is your freaking water?" —Lazarus
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Lifecrafter
Member # 3171
Profile Homepage #3
Generally whatever comes first is better and the second thing is just a money making ploy.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #4
Books based on movies are often terrible, so it's better to watch the movie first and then probably never read the book.

Movies based on books can be good or bad, but it's highly unusual for the movie to be better than the book, so it's usually best to read the book first.

In short, start with the thing that came first.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 6908
Profile #5
quote:
Originally written by Tyranicus:

I always go for the original source first. As far as books based off movies go, I rarely ever read them. There truly is no point.
Hm. Not always. There are some exclusions to this rule, though I'd rather agree. For example, I enjoyed "The Highlander" by Christopher Lawrence Mac'Namara, though it was written on the basis of the Highlanders with Christopher Lambert and Highlander Series with Adrian Paul.

--------------------
9 masks sing in a choir:
Gnome Dwarf Slith
Giant Troll Troglo
Human Nephil Vahnatai
"If the mask under mask to SE of mask to the left of mask and to the right of me is the mask below the mask to the right of mask to the right of mask below me is the same, then who am I?"

Shock Trooper
Member # 6908
Profile #6
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Movies based on books can be good or bad, but it's highly unusual for the movie to be better than the book, so it's usually best to read the book first.In short, start with the thing that came first.
That's some strange logic for me. If something is bad, then better see it first or never see it at all. If I've read the book, I'll probably be pissed of by a movie, following the book I liked. And the back order makes it more likeable. Because I can read a book with 3D images from the movie :)
So, shortly, bad ideas are better studied before the good ones or not studied at all. That's what I think.

Edit: Sorry for doublepost, I was sure I'm answering the last post, which is not mine. :(

[ Wednesday, August 02, 2006 22:17: Message edited by: Meeshka ]

--------------------
9 masks sing in a choir:
Gnome Dwarf Slith
Giant Troll Troglo
Human Nephil Vahnatai

Agent
Member # 6581
Profile Homepage #7
quote:
Originally written by Meeshka:

In my experience the movie based on the book always kills the plot. So it is better to watch the movie first, then to read the book to have the necessary explanations.
My exact point. A good example is Harry Potter.

EDIT: If you read the book, don't watch the movie.
If you watch the movie, don't read the book.

[ Thursday, August 03, 2006 02:53: Message edited by: MagmaDragoon ]

--------------------
Download Geneforge 4: Rebellion

You have 6 posts. Nobody cares what you think. - Thuryl

Wikipedia may be your friend, but UBB is not. - Dikiyoba
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #8
Follow the advertising hype. Watch the movie. Read the book. Memorize the dialog. Join the web board. Collect the action figures. Wear the tatoo. Buy the stock. Or not.

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #9
Hmm. The only movie I can think of that was actually better than the book it was based on was "The Godfather." The book was a mere potboiler; the movie, art.

[ Thursday, August 03, 2006 03:49: Message edited by: Drew ]
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #10
quote:
If the movie kills the plot, shouldn't it be the other way around? Read the book first to enjoy the plot, then see the movie (and thus avoid having the good plot spoilt by a bad one)...

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Infiltrator
Member # 5132
Profile Homepage #11
Generally, I read what comes first because the other does not exist at the time. When both do exist, and I haven't seen/read either, I just see what kind of a mood I'm in.

I've actually enjoyed the books based on the SW movies. The actual movies, not the EU.

--------------------
"Let us see what the new day brings." - Temas, Areni.

Visit my realm!

Rate My Scenarios!
Fort Emerald Robbery
The Nephils' Defense
The Final Spire
The Fifth Tower of Magi
The Portal
Shock Trooper
Member # 6908
Profile #12
quote:
Originally written by Drow:

quote:
If the movie kills the plot, shouldn't it be the other way around? Read the book first to enjoy the plot, then see the movie (and thus avoid having the good plot spoilt by a bad one)...

What's the point of watching the movie then? :) Sometimes the movie has its own plot, rather interesting. Like I watched "Fight Club" first and after read the book. In this order I've seen a nice movie with good actors and read an even more interesting book. Should I read/watch them in other order, I should have read an interesting book and watch a movie, which should make me angry for the lack of information and action. The first way seemes more pleasing for me.

--------------------
9 masks sing in a choir:
Gnome Dwarf Slith
Giant Troll Troglo
Human Nephil Vahnatai

Lifecrafter
Member # 6193
Profile Homepage #13
If I like a movie I'll sometimes read the book to see what it really came from. It isn't always redundant, for example the Jason Bourne movies/books were significantly different. I liked the books more at first, but by the third book I got tired of them.

--------------------
Guaranteed to blow your mind.

Frostbite: Get It While It's...... Hot?
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #14
As a general rule, I'll watch movies based on books I've read. If I haven't read the book there is a good chance that I haven't read it for a reason and the movie isn't worth seeing anyway. The books are better, so they should be read first.

Books based on other media range from mediocre to garbage. I'll watch the movie and ignore the book entirely.

—Alorael, who knows there are exceptions to these general truths. Those are rare enough that he's comfortable letting critical reviews and friends' opinions point out these few outlying cases.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #15
I suppose the big exception would be movies based on Philip K. Dick books, which tend to be, if not better than the books, then certainly more accessible.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #16
Usually the originally source material is better. Some movies bear so little resemblence to the books that they only have a title in common. Wil Smith's I, Robot is an example of a movie that isn't really based on the book.

Movie novelizations are usually based on the movie and add additional material. I haven't read many good novelizations. There are some good books that are based upon source material from movies like the Star Trek series that depends upon the author.