Hitchhiker Media Poll

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Hitchhiker Media Poll
Lifecrafter
Member # 4682
Profile #0
Just because I'm curious about people's opinions about the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy movie and TV series...

Poll Information
This poll contains 2 question(s). 27 user(s) have voted.
You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

function launch_voter () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=vote;pollid=BrLGinsFhoNV"); return true; } // end launch_voter function launch_viewer () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=view;pollid=BrLGinsFhoNV"); return true; } // end launch_viewer function launch_window (url) { preview = window.open( url, "preview", "width=550,height=300,toolbar=no,location=no,directories=no,status,menubar=no,scrollbars,resizable,copyhistory=no" ); window.preview.focus(); return preview; } // end launch_window IMAGE(votenow.gif)     IMAGE(voteresults.gif)

--------------------
Do not underestimate the power of the mechanical pencil.

Join the Dark side. We have cookies.

Played in:
Fiddler on the Roof
Bye Bye Birdie

"Hey, Patrick, feel this random pipe. It's squishy"-Nils
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #1
I preferred the BBC radio series, which was far closer to the plots of the books. However, the TV series was better than the film.

And, for the record, my favourite character is probably Wonko the Sane, or Fenchurch, and my favourite part is Arthur's story about the biscuits...

Edit: And I, too, have read all 5 of the books. Even "Mostly Harmless", which was more painful than it really should have been...

[ Wednesday, August 02, 2006 08:01: Message edited by: Laurina ]

--------------------
And when you want to Live
How do you start?
Where do you go?
Who do you need to know?

*Name by Slarty, so blame him if it's filthy...
Agent
Member # 3364
Profile Homepage #2
I've seen the trailers for the movie, but not much more.

--------------------
"Even the worst Terror from Hell can be transformed to a testimony from Heaven!" - Rev. David Wood 6\23\05

"Do all the good you can, by all the means you can, in all the ways you can, in all the places you can, at all the times you can, to all the people you can, as long as you ever can." - John Wesley
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #3
Let's see, I've heard bits of the radio series (as Wikipedia can't seem to clarify just how much), and I've seen the TV series, which was a pretty decent job. The radio series was done incredibly well, with just enough of the interesting digressions lumped in to the necessary plot. I have yet to see the movie, though I heard it was pretty good.

And most importantly, I've read all five books. Twice, at least. Heck, I named my iPod "The Guide".

(Were it not for the fact that Imban would've spoiled it, checkboxes might've been better for the poll...)

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Cartographer
Member # 1851
Profile Homepage #4
I've not seen anything of either one and I didn't even like the damn book so I doubt I'd like either one at all. How's that?

--------------------
"I'm not crazy!"
"Well, whatever. Maybe you just ate something really questionable, or perhaps someone hit you on the head with something large, blunt and heavy just now. By the way..." Gil nudged Grul pointedly.

Ooh! Homepage - Blog - Geneforge, +2, +3 - My Elfwood Gallery and DevArt page
So many strange ones around. Don't you think?
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #5
I haven't seen the TV series and I've only seen part of the movie. I have read the books, and they are way better than the movie.

Dikiyoba.
Lifecrafter
Member # 4682
Profile #6
quote:
Originally written by Ephesos:

(Were it not for the fact that Imban would've spoiled it, checkboxes might've been better for the poll...)
That's why I didn't.

I read the first three books, as I heard from many people the other two were painful. I'll probably read them eventually though. I hadn't heard of the radio series until Nikki told me right after I posted the poll. And in my opinion, though the movie was good, it doesn't come close to the TV series.

--------------------
Do not underestimate the power of the mechanical pencil.

Join the Dark side. We have cookies.

Played in:
Fiddler on the Roof
Bye Bye Birdie

"Hey, Patrick, feel this random pipe. It's squishy"-Nils
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #7
I have read all the books, and seen the movie, but I have never seen the TV series. In my opinion, the movie did a decent job.

--------------------
"You're drinking liquor because you're thirsty? How nasty is your freaking water?" —Lazarus
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #8
The movie was far better than anything written by Doug Adams.

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

Agent
Member # 3349
Profile Homepage #9
The movie was pretty good, I rate it 8.5/10

--------------------
And everybody say....Yatta!
Warrior
Member # 6401
Profile #10
quote:
Originally written by Nikki xx:

I preferred the BBC radio series, which was far closer to the plots of the books. However, the TV series was better than the film.
Well the radio series came first; the books were developed from it afterwards.

Read the books, liked them, saw the film, didn't like it, haven't heard the radio series or seen the TV version.

--------------------
I think this is really wonderful.
Warrior
Member # 7254
Profile Homepage #11
The movie adaption of the Hitchiker's Guide to Galaxy was even less hilarious than the book, in my honest opinion. Guess I am just special in a way, or something. :/
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #12
I haven't even seen trailers for the movie, I've never heard of the TV show, and I've only heard a few minutes of the BBC series.

—Alorael, who liked the books, though. Even Mostly Harmless. There's a certain magisterial absurdity to them.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #13
Actually the radio series was first and became the first two books. Then three more books were written. Recently they made radio series based upon the last three books.

The TV series was more closely based upon the earlier books. There was also a stage play. Douglas Adams made several different versions including a text game. There is also the book with the original radio scripts.

The movie was originally written by Douglas Adams and then extensively modified over the years following his death. I still haven't seen the movie, but the added material to connect the sketches seems to have irritated the faithful.

There is a really funny biography by Neil Gaiman called Don't Panic.

I've read the five books, the orignal script book, listened to the BBC worldwide version of the first two seasons, and seen the TV series (I bought the DVD set). I can't remember whether I got the movie DVD but I'll get around to it.

[ Wednesday, August 02, 2006 19:41: Message edited by: Randomizer ]
Shock Trooper
Member # 6908
Profile #14
I've read all the books and felt no pain reading last two (or three). And I don't think I've missed something, since I've read them twice. Though I've never seen the TV series, in my opinion the book goes much deeper in allegories then movie does. My favourite part was the falling of the whale and the bowl of petunias, both in the movie and in the book for its life philosophy :) . Though the movie never explains the origins of the bowl.

-----------------------------------------
The loudest of the voices tell me, it is Babylon 5 books they want to appear. Six please. Including prequels. :)

[ Wednesday, August 02, 2006 21:49: Message edited by: Meeshka ]

--------------------
9 masks sing in a choir:
Gnome Dwarf Slith
Giant Troll Troglo
Human Nephil Vahnatai
"If the mask under mask to SE of mask to the left of mask and to the right of me is the mask below the mask to the right of mask to the right of mask below me is the same, then who am I?"

radix: +2 nicothodes: +1 salmon:+1
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #15
I read the books and saw the movie (the one that had Marvin's head huge and spherical?). They were both good works, but related only as if the script writer and Adams had been given the same rough concept and worked independently. Douglas Adams had dry witty humor, which you expect in a comedy. The movie had Zaphod, Ford and Arthur heroically saving Trillian from an ugly death, which you expect from a movie.

Years ago, I went ballistic at Peter Jackson's modifications to Tolkien's epic, but I understand now: The media are just different. A one-for-one transposition just isn't possible, just like a word-for-word translation.

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #16
quote:
Originally written by Drow:

Years ago, I went ballistic at Peter Jackson's modifications to Tolkien's epic, but I understand now: The media are just different. A one-for-one transposition just isn't possible, just like a word-for-word translation.
Lucky for you. I still wince a bit whenever I watch The Two Towers. The other two movies are good and close enough to the books, but that one was very unfaithful to Tolkien. Elves at Helm's Deep rankle me. :P

[ Wednesday, August 02, 2006 21:54: Message edited by: Tyranicus ]

--------------------
"You're drinking liquor because you're thirsty? How nasty is your freaking water?" —Lazarus
Spiderweb Chat Room
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Agent
Member # 1934
Profile Homepage #17
I've only read four books, but I only liked the first two. The third and fourth made me dizzy and found them to be incredibly boring. However, I did like the movie for it's visual representation of the universe.

--------------------
You acquire an item: Radio Free Foil
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #18
The poll is kind of pointless if you're not familiar with one or the other.

I liked the books (all of them). For whatever unjustifiable reason, my favorite character was Random, and my favorite sequence was the one with Murray Bost Henson.

I also liked the movie, although it was entirely not how I pictured the books. It was funny in its own right, though, and I felt that it conveyed at least the spirit (if not the fact) of the books well.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #19
Originally by Tyranicus:

quote:
Elves at Helm's Deep rankle me. :P
Dikiyoba used to think that as well. Then Dikiyoba read Eldest (by Christopher Paolini) and Dikiyoba realized that traditional, stuffy, boring elves getting killed is a good thing.
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #20
quote:
Originally written by Thin Air:

Well the radio series came first; the books were developed from it afterwards.
Really? I had no idea!

Does anybody know of any plans to make the other books into films?

--------------------
And when you want to Live
How do you start?
Where do you go?
Who do you need to know?

*Name by Slarty, so blame him if it's filthy...
Shock Trooper
Member # 6908
Profile #21
quote:
Originally written by Laurina:

Does anybody know of any plans to make the other books into films?
If someone is interested, I know that Universal is going to release a "Magic Kingdom for Sale" based on Terry Brooks fantasy novel. I'm not sure about the movie's title though.

P.S. And it is a nice post about something interesting to be my 200th.

[ Thursday, August 03, 2006 07:30: Message edited by: Meeshka ]

--------------------
9 masks sing in a choir:
Gnome Dwarf Slith
Giant Troll Troglo
Human Nephil Vahnatai
"If the mask under mask to SE of mask to the left of mask and to the right of me is the mask below the mask to the right of mask to the right of mask below me is the same, then who am I?"

radix: +2 nicothodes: +1 salmon:+1
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #22
quote:
Originally written by Meeshka:

If someone is interested, I know that Universal is going to release a "Magic Kingdom for Sale" based on Terry Brooks fantasy novel. I'm not sure about the movie's title though.
I'm quite interested in that. I love Brooks's Landover novels. They were consistently good, which is more than you can say about the Shannara novels. :P

--------------------
Spiderweb Chat Room
Shock Trooper
Member # 3513
Profile Homepage #23
quote:
Originally written by Salmon Fishin':

The movie was far better than anything written by Doug Adams.
*stabs you to death, sets corpse afire*

The movie was freaking awful!

--------------------
Nobody appreciates me. It's all "Igor! Fetch some wine!" "Igor! Clean up this experiment!" or "Igor! Bury this in the garden, we're leaving town in 10 minutes!"

—Alorael, who tried to become a deivore once. The priest gave him a funny look after the third wafer.
Apprentice
Member # 7216
Profile #24
I've only seen the movie, but I've heard the books were good. The movie seemed too rushed and linear, in my opinion. I probably should read the books to get some sense of the plot, but I thought the movie was rather dull.

--------------------
Apple.elqqA

Pages