Facebook Me!

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Facebook Me!
Lifecrafter
Member # 6700
Profile Homepage #0
Actually, no.
In fact, please don't.

I got into a wierd conversation with my roommate over the overall usefulness of such networking sites, and it struck me that it may help if I took some thought from a large sampling of [sarcasm] "normal" [/sarcasm] people.

Poll Information
This poll contains 3 question(s). 57 user(s) have voted.
You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

function launch_voter () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=vote;pollid=qpbCTTeVxgOB"); return true; } // end launch_voter function launch_viewer () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=view;pollid=qpbCTTeVxgOB"); return true; } // end launch_viewer function launch_window (url) { preview = window.open( url, "preview", "width=550,height=300,toolbar=no,location=no,directories=no,status,menubar=no,scrollbars,resizable,copyhistory=no" ); window.preview.focus(); return preview; } // end launch_window IMAGE(votenow.gif)     IMAGE(voteresults.gif)

--------------------
-Lenar Labs
What's Your Destiny?

Ushmushmeifa: Lenar's power is almighty and ineffable.

All hail lord Noric, god of... well, something important, I'm sure.
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #1
So far I'm the only person to say yes to all three questions. :cool:

But I hardly use MySpace anymore - it's far too buggy, slow, and aggravating.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #2
I said no for the second one because I haven't touched MySpace in at least 6 months. I don't think I even remember my password. :P

As for practical uses of Facebook, it [b]does [/b]help me keep in touch with all my old high school friends. For example, last week a bunch of us were hanging out at a local diner one night. This diner happens to have a wireless hotspot, and I had my new MacBook along to show it off. Anyway, we wanted to call Chris (another friend) to see if he wanted to come join us, but none of us knew his number. Facebook to the rescue!

--------------------
"You're drinking liquor because you're thirsty? How nasty is your freaking water?" —Lazarus
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #3
I don't use these types of websites for the same reason I gave so little information in my profile: I don't want some people to have an easy way of locating me. If you knew my previous known associates you would understand. Having someone say that they are going to kill you because their grades are dropping from spending too much time for you makes you want to never see them again.

For some people they are good for the same reason people join frats in college. They are in desparate need of friends to validate their existance.
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #4
I said yes to all.

I have Facebook, but I don't use it. I use Myspace regularly. It's easy to keep in touch with people without having to be connected in real-time.

--------------------
DEMON PLAY,
DEMON OUT!
Posts: 1582 | Registered: Wednesday, November 13 2002 08:00
Agent
Member # 3364
Profile Homepage #5
No.

MySpace is evil.

None whatsoever.

Hubby likes to go through and check out friends of friends of friends, ect. He likes that kind of thing. I, on the otherhand, can see only trouble arising from my use of it. I'm already 'too open' with you guys. Something about 'shouldn't flirt with strangers'... I don't know. After viewing my high school best friend's account, I don't think I want to find out the 'likes' and 'dislikes' of other people I know.

--------------------
"Even the worst Terror from Hell can be transformed to a testimony from Heaven!" - Rev. David Wood 6\23\05

"Do all the good you can, by all the means you can, in all the ways you can, in all the places you can, at all the times you can, to all the people you can, as long as you ever can." - John Wesley
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #6
If your problem is being too "open", then do us all a favor and get out of my internet.

EDIT: >:(

[ Tuesday, July 25, 2006 01:45: Message edited by: Imban ]

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Infiltrator
Member # 1092
Profile Homepage #7
I use Bebo. I have a MySpace account but I couldn't be bothered using it.

--------------------
When you think you can't get any lower in life and hit rock bottom, God hands you a shovel.

Why should I say somthin intelligent when idiots like you make me look intelligent in the first place.
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #8
What TM said.

That said, no to all three questions.

--------------------
I'll put a Spring in your step.
:ph34r:
Agent
Member # 6581
Profile Homepage #9
All no.

--------------------
Download Geneforge 4: Rebellion

You have 6 posts. Nobody cares what you think. - Thuryl

Wikipedia may be your friend, but UBB is not. - Dikiyoba
Guardian
Member # 3521
Profile #10
Yes to the first and the third, no to the second, although I have considered starting a MySpace account.

Facebook is more of a fun time waster to me than anything else, but it can be extremely useful- especially if, like me, you tend to forget friends' birthdays. Or if, also like me, you possess an inordinate fear of asking a girl out when her relationship status is in doubt. I also find it very viscerally enjoyable to construct and alter a profile of myself. Inspecting and joining facebook groups is just about the best way to burn excess time that I know of.

Also, although I do enjoy facebook, I have never even entertained the notion of joining a frat. I've met practically all of my friends in person; facebook is just a nice way to keep track of them.

--------------------
Stughalf

"Delusion arises from anger. The mind is bewildered by delusion. Reasoning is destroyed when the mind is bewildered. One falls down when reasoning is destroyed."- The Bhagavad Gita.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #11
I am opposed to these things in general, but someone else set up a Facebook account for me, so I felt obligated to sort of use it. I don't get several hundred birthday messages (as she does *cough* *cough*) or hundreds of personal messages every day (that's what E-MAIL is for), but I do check it pretty regularly (for seconds at a time).

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #12
quote:
Originally written by Spring:

What Imban said.
FYT.

That said, I'm on Facebook for the practicality of having contact info for friends. Then again, I'm often too lazy to friend people. Hm...

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Agent
Member # 6581
Profile Homepage #13
EDIT: Nevermind.

[ Tuesday, July 25, 2006 07:58: Message edited by: MagmaDragoon ]

--------------------
Download Geneforge 4: Rebellion

You have 6 posts. Nobody cares what you think. - Thuryl

Wikipedia may be your friend, but UBB is not. - Dikiyoba
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #14
Is Facebook even available internationally? I remember I tried to register once and it apparently required my high school to be listed (which it wasn't). Or something prevented me from registering, anyway.

I registered at MySpace a few months ago, but that's as far as I got before I had to close the site to avoid vomiting. It's... interesting. View with IE for the full experience (or MSNE for hard-core masochists).

Social networking sites are good for making lots and lots of money. I'd dream of owning a successful one, but I wouldn't touch it with a ten-foot pole, myself. :rolleyes:

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Agent
Member # 3364
Profile Homepage #15
quote:
Originally written by Rufus Rothgard:

If your problem is being too "open", then do us all a favor and get out of my internet.

EDIT: by Imban

You weren't evading the censors were you? Just for little ole me? Aw, shucks. You sure do know how to make a girl feel special.

*smothers TM in love*

--------------------
"Even the worst Terror from Hell can be transformed to a testimony from Heaven!" - Rev. David Wood 6\23\05

"Do all the good you can, by all the means you can, in all the ways you can, in all the places you can, at all the times you can, to all the people you can, as long as you ever can." - John Wesley
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #16
Find a hole big enough to fit you and die.

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #17
Three no's for me. I have very little use for a social networking site, as I have very few people I would contact and few of those people are online regularily.

Dikiyoba.
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #18
Aran - if you have a college email you can get one. I know Thuryl got one.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Guardian
Member # 3521
Profile #19
Quite right. I don't believe that the high school field is a required fill-in for creating a facebook college profile; it is required, though, for a facebook high school profile.

--------------------
Stughalf

"Delusion arises from anger. The mind is bewildered by delusion. Reasoning is destroyed when the mind is bewildered. One falls down when reasoning is destroyed."- The Bhagavad Gita.
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #20
I use Facebook but not Myspace; I really kind of detest Myspace, but Facebook's only half-bad. It's also very useful sometimes for the aforementioned reasons. I'm not a very organized person and if I'm planning some sort of party chances are not everyone I want to come is going to be notified, but Facebook goes a long way towards ameliorating that situation.

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

Polaris = joy.

In case of emergency, break glass.
Dollop of Whipped Cream
Member # 391
Profile Homepage #21
Wow, I could've sworn Thad would've started this thread. Anyways, I can see how it would be practical and/or useful to get account to get in touch with high school friends. However, I do just fine without it. If I wanted to stay in touch with you (or anyone in high school), then I would: through AIM, MSN, E-mail, and the phone of course. If you don't have any of the above (my Sn, email address, phone #), and I don't have yours, then I don't see why I'd care much about hearing from you. Sure there is always the "hi, how's your life been?" and blah blah blah, but it's not that big of a deal.

Nonetheless, I did jump in the bandwagon and had a couple of networking sites. But I've grown out of it..... what? It’s true

--------------------
"Tyranicus is about the only one that still posts in the Nethergate Forum." —Randomizer
Spiderweb Chat Room
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #22
quote:
Originally written by Leena:

blah, blah, blah hypocrisy...
Says the person who facebook-stalked up my cell phone number. :P

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #23
Actually, that was me. :P

--------------------
"You're drinking liquor because you're thirsty? How nasty is your freaking water?" —Lazarus
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #24
Spiderweb is my social network. I don't have a MySpace account, though I know a lot of people that do. I've thought about, but never got around to it and am not in a hurry to.

--------------------
-ben4808

Pages