Help me!!! It's urgent!!!

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Help me!!! It's urgent!!!
Infiltrator
Member # 6136
Profile #0
Hi Please someone tell me how to format my hard drive with Windows 2000.
Please don't make a chaos of this!! I don't want you people tell me that I shouldn't use win2000 and indtead i should worship Apple's Mac, i just wanna know how to format a Win2000 PC!!!
BANNED
Member # 6432
Profile #1
I can't help you on that but i think this topic belongs in the tech-support area don't you?

--------------------
I hate you all
Infiltrator
Member # 6136
Profile #2
quote:
Originally written by Bomber:

I can't help you on that but i think this topic belongs in the tech-support area don't you?
Believe me i know, but who reads that area anyway??? :confused:
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #3
I agree this should be in tech support. I know Microsoft has lousy documentation, but doesn't the help file have anything useful on the subject. I never used Windows2000 so I can't give you more help. Be sure to back up before formatting since that will wipe everything.
Infiltrator
Member # 6136
Profile #4
quote:
Originally written by Randomizer:

I agree this should be in tech support. I know Microsoft has lousy documentation, but doesn't the help file have anything useful on the subject. I never used Windows2000 so I can't give you more help. Be sure to back up before formatting since that will wipe everything.
I think I foud it but thanks anyway, but I will surely have constantly future troubles until I finally install the damn thing...
And don't tell me about backup my files, it's a long story but I already lost all my music and files...MY MUSIC!!about 1200 songs!!!DAMN!!!! :mad:
Oh!! not music I make of course...

[ Friday, July 21, 2006 17:19: Message edited by: chicho1102 ]
BANNED
Member # 6432
Profile #5
[/QB][/QUOTE]Believe me i know, but who reads that area anyway??? :confused: [/QB][/QUOTE]

You would be surprised.

[ Friday, July 21, 2006 17:25: Message edited by: Bomber ]

--------------------
I hate you all
Lifecrafter
Member # 6388
Profile #6
No, this doesn't belong in Tech Support: it's in the right place where it is. (Tech Support is for specifically SW-related issues.)

You can format your hard drive by bringing up a DOS prompt and entering

FORMAT X:\*.*

Where X is the name of your drive.

Depending how Windows 2000 syntax works, you may have to type FORMAT X, FORMAT X:, or FORMAT X:\ instead. Don't worry - mis-syntaxing the parameter will do nothing nasty. (But make sure X is a drive you want deleted!)

If it says bad command or file name or something like that, navigate to your Windows directory first.

Back up ANYTHING important first, and make sure you have an install CD for your OS and any vital programs ready at hand. Expect to spend a few hours setting your computer up afterward.

If you don't know how to get to a DOS prompt, it should be reachable as follows:

START > ALL PROGRAMS > ACCESSORIES > COMMAND PROMPT

Windows 2000 may require that you first boot into DOS to format. To do that, go to START > SHUT DOWN, selecting 'Quit To DOS' or whatever equivalent item there is.

I strongly recommend you get a better OS in the future - Windows 2000 is terrible. XP is much more stable and user-friendly. In the meanwhile, I hope this helps!

[ Friday, July 21, 2006 17:30: Message edited by: The Worst Man Ever ]
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #7
Windows 2000 has a relatively easy instllation structure. Basically, you just put the disc into your CD drive and boot your PC up. At this point, it should boot straight into the Win2K setup. If it does not, you'll have to go into your BIOS settings and make sure that your computer boots from the CD drive before the hard drive. Once the setup program has loaded, you basically follow the instructions. If I remember correctly, (It's been a few years since I last installed Win2K) it comes to a partition selection screen. At this point, if you use the arrow keys to select your current hard drive partition, a list of commands shows up on the bottom. Press the key that is listed as the command for "Delete partition" (or something to that effect). After that, I believe all you have to do is select the unpartitioned space and press Enter. At this point, it will ask you if you want to format in FAT32 or NTFS. Unless you have a small hard drive (5 GB or less), I would suggest that you format using NTFS, as it is more stable and secure. Once the drive is formatted, the system should reboot and start the Win2k setup.

--------------------
"You're drinking liquor because you're thirsty? How nasty is your freaking water?" —Lazarus
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Lifecrafter
Member # 6388
Profile #8
I'm not certain about NTFS being a feature as early as Win2K, but I'm certain it's probably not advisable to change formats - NTFS is more exclusive and has compatibility issues, whereas FAT has been market-standard forever and would not cause any problems were one to revert to an older version of Windows. (98 > 2000 stability-wise.)
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #9
quote:
Originally written by Bomber:

This topic does DEFINITELY NOT BELONG in Tech Support. We only service Spiderweb Software products there. Be that Win2000 is not such a product, it does not belong there.

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Infiltrator
Member # 6136
Profile #10
quote:
Originally written by The Worst Man Ever:

No, this doesn't belong in Tech Support: it's in the right place where it is. (Tech Support is for specifically SW-related issues.)

You can format your hard drive by bringing up a DOS prompt and entering

FORMAT X:\*.*

Where X is the name of your drive.

Depending how Windows 2000 syntax works, you may have to type FORMAT X, FORMAT X:, or FORMAT X:\ instead. Don't worry - mis-syntaxing the parameter will do nothing nasty. (But make sure X is a drive you want deleted!)

If it says bad command or file name or something like that, navigate to your Windows directory first.

Back up ANYTHING important first, and make sure you have an install CD for your OS and any vital programs ready at hand. Expect to spend a few hours setting your computer up afterward.

If you don't know how to get to a DOS prompt, it should be reachable as follows:

START > ALL PROGRAMS > ACCESSORIES > COMMAND PROMPT

Windows 2000 may require that you first boot into DOS to format. To do that, go to START > SHUT DOWN, selecting 'Quit To DOS' or whatever equivalent item there is.

I strongly recommend you get a better OS in the future - Windows 2000 is terrible. XP is much more stable and user-friendly. In the meanwhile, I hope this helps!

Wow Thanks!!
But I told that I didn't wanted any sugerence about the OS!!! :mad:
He he just kidding, the thing is that i've heard that thing of "Win2000 sucks" so many times that I decided to try it, i have a weird tendency to like what other people dislike...
But Xp is so complicated, and my Pc is slow and that thing don't run vey good with 256 mb doesn't it??
Well when I decide to install XP you will probably see me here cryng for a little help for installing it...

[ Friday, July 21, 2006 17:48: Message edited by: chicho1102 ]
Lifecrafter
Member # 6388
Profile #11
XP is fairly complicated, but it actually seems to have a slimmer resource profile than I remember 2000 having; it's got less loose ends, less random resource problems, and is a LOT more stable.

I've gotten maybe a dozen system crashes since I installed XP a couple of years ago, whereas with 2K the dreaded blue screen of death was a daily occurrance.

I'd definitely update, even with a somewhat old computer - it's just hands-down a better OS.

It's a little expensive, though.

(And if you got a shortage on RAM - that stuff's like 5 dollars for a bajillion GB nowadays, isn't it?)
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #12
quote:

I'm not certain about NTFS being a feature as early as Win2K, but I'm certain it's probably not advisable to change formats - NTFS is more exclusive and has compatibility issues, whereas FAT has been market-standard forever and would not cause any problems were one to revert to an older version of Windows. (98 > 2000 stability-wise.)
Actually, NTFS dates back to the mid-90s with Windows NT. Windows 2000 was the successor to Windows NT and was originally designed for businesses. As for stability, the Win2k kernal is a lot more stable than the Win32 kernal.

--------------------
"You're drinking liquor because you're thirsty? How nasty is your freaking water?" —Lazarus
Spiderweb Chat Room
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #13
WinXP boots up significantly faster than Win2k and runs more smoothly on the pivotal condition that your computer has memory to support the overhead that actually makes it more efficient. 512MB of RAM, 5GB+ free space on hard drive, and a current processor will be very good for simple tasks.

Win2k and WinXP are built on basically the same KERNEL. Win2k was already a huge step up from the Jurassic NT series.

I generally use NTFS because it is flashier and keeps copies of the most important sectors in the middle of the drive for emergency backup and recovery.

WinXP, in my experience, is not a hassle at all if you are, or know someone who is, a computer enthusiast.

--------------------
Thuryl: I mean, most of us don't go around consuming our own bodily fluids, no matter how delicious they are.
====
Alorael: War and violence would end if we all had each other's babies!
====
Drakefyre: Those are hideous mangos.
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #14
quote:

XP is fairly complicated, but it actually seems to have a slimmer resource profile than I remember 2000 having; it's got less loose ends, less random resource problems, and is a LOT more stable.
Stable? Then I don't want to use Windows 2000... EVER.

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #15
Windows ME is even worse, I hear.

XP trains a very stoic approach to life.

"It might work. It might not work. It might stop working at any time. The best way to deal with it is not to scream."

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Infiltrator
Member # 4248
Profile #16
quote:
Originally written by Mc 'mini' Thralni:

quote:

Stable? Then I don't want to use Windows 2000... EVER.

The relativity of things is fun, no? The most fun thing is, that I have 11 years old computer home, with Win 95 installed that gives error messages every 30 minutes or so. It *might* have something to do with all the dust inside, it's never been properly cleaned. Still, compared to my friends brand new computer with XP, it still seems stable as a 200 kg anvil on flat ground.

--------------------
I have nothing more to do in this world, so I can go & pester the inhabitants of the next one with a pure concscience.
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #17
Ah good old Win95. "This program has performed an illegal operation and must be shut down." That message was the bane of PC users everywhere.

Does anyone else remember the good old days of Windows 3.1? It took a lot of fiddling to get things set up (especially hardware), but once it was set up, I never had stability issues. In fact, Win3.1 is the only OS that I never needed to reinstall. All other OSes that I have used over the years (including MacOS X and Fedora Core 4) have needed to be reinstalled at some point to fix some error or another.

[ Saturday, July 22, 2006 09:45: Message edited by: Tyran ]

--------------------
Spiderweb Chat Room
Infiltrator
Member # 4248
Profile #18
Actually, it might have something to do with the hardware itself. Do you remember components older than five years that overheat in 5 minutes? I do not. Actually, our old computer is only few degrees warmer than room temperature, where as my friends is always at least 45 degrees celsius warm. He has to constantly watch the thermometer if he doesn't want his computer to blow up...

--------------------
I have nothing more to do in this world, so I can go & pester the inhabitants of the next one with a pure concscience.
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #19
Yes, that problem is what i had with my own PC. Being made in the backroom of some computer shop... we'll say some parts were loose *cough*. At a certain point my computer just froze after five minutes, also during start-up, in safe mode, we tried everything. Eventually we brought it to the shop. The man opened it, and the cooling fan simply dropped out. It wasn't attached proparly, and it didn't cool. The processor's heat (a Celeron...) simply caused the fan to melt down and drop off.

And yueah, the good 'ol OS's as they once were. Without all the extra crap which make them unstable (or at least some of the OS's currently available).

[ Saturday, July 22, 2006 11:22: Message edited by: Mc 'mini' Thralni ]

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #20
I never had to reinstall my Windows 3.1 operating system. On the other hand I learned to save early and often for when the system froze and I had to reboot. I could lose pages of work if I forgot to save.

One difference between Mac and Windows was how much I could do while waitng for the system to boot up. With DOS 3.0 I could go get a soda and read a newspaper waiting for the system to come up. The hardware was so sensitive to power fluctuations that the system would regularly crash even when nothing was running.
Warrior
Member # 7195
Profile #21
Hey, is everyone forgetting win98SE, i have it for about a million years now and did not reinstall it. although the whole system gets really slow somtimes but it's reliable - in slovenija we have a saying that goes something like: if you're slow, you can come very far.
Well, i know it sucks in english, but it sound cool in slovene - alhough i'm sure it wouldn't to any of you ... :)

--------------------
I don't care what you say, I'm punk and Hardcore all the way!
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #22
Win98SE was a good OS, but I did have to reformat ans start over every now and then. In fact, Windows 98SE was such a success that Microsoft did not stop updating and supporting the OS until earlier this month, making it the longest officially supported version of Windows with the exception of 3.1, which was officially supported from 1992 to 2001.

[ Sunday, July 23, 2006 07:08: Message edited by: Tyran ]

--------------------
Spiderweb Chat Room
Guardian
Member # 2476
Profile #23
Strange that you had so many difficulties with Win2k, Alec. I still prefer it, and never had a crash or any error message, since I installed it.

--------------------
Polaris
Rache's A3 Site reformatted 2/3 done
Rache's A3 Site, original version
BANNED
Member # 5663
Profile #24
The best way to handle any tech problems with Windows (or any other OS you have trouble with) is to contact the RAM elves who live inside your computer (RAM comes in multiples of 8 because elves only have 8 fingers). It's so obvious I'm surprised you didn't try that first...I mean, what are you? Racist against short people? Somebody's gotta make those delicious cookies man...

--------------------
I'm drunk as think as you not am I.

Pages