Inventions

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Inventions
Agent
Member # 4574
Profile #0
I, being close to inventing several things myself, am curious has anyone here created an invention? If so what does it do? How does it work? If you have an idea yet haven't patened it yet just tell us what it does.

Idea 1: A device that creates energy without dependance on anything but itself and gravity. Name: GravWheel

Idea 2: A vastly simplified laser that requires basic technology. Name: Lantser

--------------------
Constitutional monarchies are the in monarchies.
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #1
quote:
Originally written by Scienceking:

...Idea 1: A device that creates energy without dependance on anything but itself and gravity. Name: GravWheel
Unfortunately, plenty of people had this idea before. It's called perpetuum mobile. :P

[ Thursday, June 15, 2006 10:10: Message edited by: Zeviz ]

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Infiltrator
Member # 3441
Profile Homepage #2
Idea one can not work. This is a scientific fact.

As for the second, I don't know your background with optics, so I can't judge it, but I'm innately skeptical of anything that claims to be simple.

As for inventions of my own, I usually end up developing great ideas, only to find out they already exist (e.g. Braille computer displays).

--------------------
"As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it." --Albert Einstein
--------------------
Lifecrafter
Member # 6193
Profile Homepage #3
If when you say "has created an invention" you really means "has thought of outlandish idea, either probably impossible or definitely impossible" then yes, I am working on an invention.

My most interesting invention is for an elixir of life, it will be created from the egg sac of an undiscovered insect in the Rainforests of the Sea of Tranquility.

I am also working on an invention that will allow you to convert a regular car engine into a worm hole generator, which will rip massive holes in the fabric of space-time, and allow for instant travel across the galaxy.

Edit: I almost forgot to mention my abacus for dividing by zero.

My only real invention was for a school project in third grade, I taped flashlights to my shoes and said they were for walking at dark (pretty ingenious but not as glamorous as the above.)

[ Thursday, June 15, 2006 11:00: Message edited by: Lazarus. ]

--------------------
Guaranteed to blow your mind.

Frostbite: Get It While It's...... Hot?
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #4
Well, there are numerous ways to extract usable energy from gravity. You can drop a rock. Getting the rock back up so you can drop it again, now, that's a problem. Exotic proposals like spinning down rotating black holes are hardly feasible at the moment. In other words, yeah: you might be the millionth person to think of trying something like this, but it just won't work.

I'd like to hear the laser idea. At what frequency will your laser operate? And why do you want to rename it, if it really is a laser? I mean, 'laser' is an acronym, not a trademark.

[ Thursday, June 15, 2006 11:03: Message edited by: Student of Trinity ]

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Agent
Member # 5814
Profile #5
I created a high-powered cannon out of a drumstick and a piece of metal pipe/drum equipment. All you had to do was flick it and it would dent whiteboards.

Then I set up a catapult using one of those thingies which you tap with your foot on when you're on a drum set.

Finally, I made a stink-bomb out of a can of Axe (I believe the English call it Lynx) which I was able to rig to constantly fume.

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon
Well, I'm at least pretty

Shaper
Member # 32
Profile #6
I'm working with two professors and another student to try and understand Irreducible Quantum Entanglement and develop some new theory. So far the professors seem to be making some decent progress.

--------------------
Lt. Sullust
Cogito Ergo Sum
Polaris
Lifecrafter
Member # 4682
Profile #7
My dad's clarinet case becomes a club when he's mugged. He's practiced and can easily knock someone out with it. :cool:

--------------------
Do not underestimate the power of the mechanical pencil.

Join the Dark side. We have cookies.

Played in:
Fiddler on the Roof
Bye Bye Birdie

"Hey, Patrick, feel this random pipe. It's squishy"-Nils
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #8
quote:
Originally written by Lt. Sullust:

I'm working with two professors and another student to try and understand Irreducible Quantum Entanglement and develop some new theory. So far the professors seem to be making some decent progress.
Sounds interesting.

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #9
You could have the whole wheel quantum entangled and then somehow have the particles borrow energy from quantum uncertainty one way more than the other. Result: extra energy.

It probably won't work, though.

--------------------
-ben4808
Infiltrator
Member # 6652
Profile #10
Not that I know anything, but if you were able to harness to energy of an object in orbit of a planetary body, wouldn't that be creating energy with nothing but gravity?

--------------------
But I don't want to ride the elevator.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #11
quote:
Originally written by Little Billy Sue:

Not that I know anything, but if you were able to harness to energy of an object in orbit of a planetary body, wouldn't that be creating energy with nothing but gravity?
Harnessing the gravitational potential energy of an object in orbit would involve bringing its orbit closer to the planet. Crashing the moon into Earth might produce a little more energy than you want.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Infiltrator
Member # 6652
Profile #12
Ah. In that case, what about an artificial river encircling a small planetoid (with water wheels, say)?

--------------------
But I don't want to ride the elevator.
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #13
quote:
Originally written by Scienceking:

I, being close to inventing several things myself, am curious has anyone here created an invention? If so what does it do? How does it work? If you have an idea yet haven't patened it yet just tell us what it does.

Idea 1: A device that creates energy without dependance on anything but itself and gravity. Name: GravWheel

In the world of engineering we have a word for people who are inventors: unemployed. :P

I'd suggest consulting the second law of thermodynamics on idea 1. Well, hydropower sort of does this, but the use of the word wheel in this context makes me chuckle.

As for idea 2, define "basic technology". A laser is pretty basic and simple these days. Sure, when it was developed, knowledge about metastable states and such was limited, but now anyone can buy low powered laser. I'm not sure how you are creating a focused beam of coherent light without using this concept.

Seems to me like you have basic misunderstandings of fundamental concepts of physics. You may want to change your name until you actually understand it or I'm gonna start calling you Archimedes Plutonium

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #14
I don't know about using orbits, but you can definitely use rotation to gain kinetic energy through gravitational slingshots. That's still not free energy, though, because you slow down rotation.

—Alorael, who invented the internet. Really!
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 1092
Profile Homepage #15
The only way I can think of it being slowed down by friction, so if you can reduce the friction then it's possible to get more energy out of the gravity thingy.

quote:
In the world of engineering we have a word for people who are inventors: unemployed.
I like this one :)

--------------------
When you think you can't get any lower in life and hit rock bottom, God hands you a shovel.

Why should I say somthin intelligent when idiots like you make me look intelligent in the first place.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #16
quote:
Originally written by *i:

You may want to change your name until you actually understand it or I'm gonna start calling you Archimedes Plutonium
Owned.

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Agent
Member # 3364
Profile Homepage #17
I invented a cabinet lock out of a plant hook, a screw, and a wooden spoon. Works great.

IMAGE(http://www.geocities.com/tracihedlund/DSCF1154.jpg)

--------------------
"Even the worst Terror from Hell can be transformed to a testimony from Heaven!" - Rev. David Wood 6\23\05

"Do all the good you can, by all the means you can, in all the ways you can, in all the places you can, at all the times you can, to all the people you can, as long as you ever can." - John Wesley
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #18
Imagine a perfect rubber ball in a vacuum above a planet. The ball drops, picking up speed as it goes. It then hits the ground and bounces without losing any energy to friction. It then moves upwards, losing speed as it goes. In the end, it will stop and start falling again at exactly the same point as it started. You get a perpetual motion machine, but you don't get any work out of the system.

As soon as you start having the ball transfer energy to a useful form (by pushing a lever, for instance) it has to lose some speed. Then, when it hits the ground, it won't bounce as high. Eventually all its energy will have been transferred to the lever and it won't bounce at all.

—Alorael, who just reinvented himself. He found the experience quite invigorating.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #19
quote:
Since I probably spent the most years of anyone here learning laser theory and using them, I can say that there isn't anything new that you can do with the optics of a laser.

The only thing new is the source for the light. The technology is already fairly basic for a nitrogen gas laser that you can make yourself for under $100 (US). Solid state lasers that you can buy from Radio Shack, etc. require some major technology to produce the semiconductor material without contamination that shortens the lifetime. Free electron lasers and others that don't use population inversions are beyond simple.

The major problems is the material that will produce the light (gas or solid). You need to find one that will have a decay transition with a low probabilty in order for a population inversion to occur. This will determine the wavelength of the laser. Then you need to find a way to pump in energy to create the inversion.

The first working laser used an artificially created ruby rod for the material and a white light flash lamp to pump the ruby's atoms into an excited state to give bursts of light. Mirrors then bounced the light back and forth to get a coherent output. For the record it was done without the permission of the guy's company (Hughes) because they didn't want him wasting time. Then when it worked they came in to claim credit for it being done there.

The two researchers Townes and Gould that came up with the idea of a laser never developed a working one. Although Gould has patents on most of the optics that they use.

Helium-neon gas lasers follow a strict set of mathematical formulae to determine the size of the tube used. There are several papers explaining how to calculate what will happen. Carbon dioxide lasers have to be tuned to get which of several wavelengths will be used. Nitrogen gas are the simplest except that you have to circulate the gas to keep it running and it works only in pulsed mode.

Solid state lasers work by creating a material that will have the desire wavelength. They are carefully made so only that wavelength or range will occur.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #20
I have to say, Goldenking's current moniker and signature reflect him pretty accurately. :P

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Agent
Member # 3364
Profile Homepage #21
Hubby invented a phone jack splitter using springs. Works great.

IMAGE(http://www.geocities.com/tracihedlund/DSCF1155.jpg)

--------------------
"Even the worst Terror from Hell can be transformed to a testimony from Heaven!" - Rev. David Wood 6\23\05

"Do all the good you can, by all the means you can, in all the ways you can, in all the places you can, at all the times you can, to all the people you can, as long as you ever can." - John Wesley
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #22
All I can say is that with this thread's outcome, Goldenking's new moniker is quite fitting. :D

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #23
And with that, I've decided to introduce TM to Mrs. Necessity in the hopes that lots of little inventions will soon be on their way.

Now, is it too soon to pick the names, or have the shower?

:P

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #24
I had thought about trying to come up with a way of introducing vitamin C (and maybe some other nutrients) into beer, but I'm not sure that would have a positive effect on sales, and also, there was some trouble with the precipitate...

Pages