Inventions

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Inventions
Warrior
Member # 7223
Profile Homepage #25
I invented a very hypothetical way of providing nutrients to disaster zones.

--------------------
Polaris

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.
- H.P. Lovecraft
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #26
quote:
Originally written by Elijah:

I invented cannibalism.
FYT.

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Warrior
Member # 7223
Profile Homepage #27
I hate you.

--------------------
Polaris

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.
- H.P. Lovecraft
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #28
quote:
Originally written by Sturg:

You could have the whole wheel quantum entangled and then somehow have the particles borrow energy from quantum uncertainty one way more than the other. Result: extra energy.

It probably won't work, though.

You're right, about the last part.

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Skip to My Lou
Member # 40
Profile Homepage #29
I have no experience in magnetics or electricity, but I had an idea for generating power with two cylinders with magnets attached to them.

IMAGE(http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a181/Alexsticks/magpow.gif)

--------------------
Take the Personality Test!
Deep down, you wish you were a stick figure.
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #30
IMAGE(http://www.popartuk.com/g/l/lgfp1550.jpg)
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #31
Perhaps I'm just not understanding the donut diagram, but why would this generate power?

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #32
The magnetics (shown as sticks) are not only monopolar, they're also unidirectional and facing opposite directions. The magnets therefore repel each other (or attract each other), causing both wheels to accelerate forever.

—Alorael, who wishes he'd thought of it first.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Shaper
Member # 32
Profile #33
The energy of the magnets would eventually dissipate due to friction. Also, anything that drew on the energy of such a system would dissipate the energy. It is important to remember that energy cannot be created.

--------------------
Lt. Sullust
Cogito Ergo Sum
Polaris
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #34
In the real world, I think anything like that would eventually stop moving in a delicate equilibrium. I am curious, though, could it reach a constant speed in ideal, frictionless conditions?

--------------------
Thuryl: I mean, most of us don't go around consuming our own bodily fluids, no matter how delicious they are.
====
Alorael: War and violence would end if we all had each other's babies!
====
Drakefyre: Those are hideous mangos.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #35
quote:
Originally written by Garrison:

In the real world, I think anything like that would eventually stop moving in a delicate equilibrium. I am curious, though, could it reach a constant speed in ideal, frictionless conditions?
Zero is a constant speed. :P

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #36
Okay, I've got it. The invention that will revolutionize life as we know it...

IMAGE(http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/e6/Wheel_Iran.jpg)

Now all we have to decide is what color it will be.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #37
quote:
Originally written by Lt. Sullust:

The energy of the magnets would eventually dissipate due to friction. Also, anything that drew on the energy of such a system would dissipate the energy. It is important to remember that energy cannot be created.
It is important to remember that no magnets are monopoles, and it's even more important to note that even in the event of monopolar magnets there is no way to cause the magnets to have a magnetic field in one direction but not the other.

So this wheel really would not only keep turning but keep accelerating at a constant rate. As long as the deceleration due to work done by the system and friction didn't become greater than the acceleration of the magnets, you could generate not only constant energy but in fact constantly increasing amounts of energy.

You find me the unidirectional monopoles and I'll make you rich!

quote:
Originally written by Garrison:

There are no magnets like this in the real world. The best you can do in the real world is to take a wheel, put in in space near no objects contributing significant gravity, and start spinning the wheel. Although molecular motion might eventually slow down the wheel, you can effectively have a perpetual motion machine as long as it's in perfect isolation.

—Alorael, who also likes the even more fun example of a small wheel rolling around the inside of a circular track. If the wheel rolls fast enough and is in a vacuum, you have a very neat perpetual motion machine. You can also have a slower wheel in a track shaped in any variation of a U shape you'd like.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #38
quote:
Originally written by A Matter of Historical Outsight:

—Alorael, who also likes the even more fun example of a small wheel rolling around the inside of a circular track. If the wheel rolls fast enough and is in a vacuum, you have a very neat perpetual motion machine. You can also have a slower wheel in a track shaped in any variation of a U shape you'd like.
Has someone been watching Mythbusters?

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 3441
Profile Homepage #39
Mythbuster's scientific methods are even worse then those of the people who created the myths.

--------------------
"As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it." --Albert Einstein
--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #40
No. I just tried to come up with the simplest perpetual motion machine that isn't something as boring as a blob rotating in space.

Is there some horrible flaw with these devices from an idealized physics perspective?

—Alorael, who invented a method for quadrature of the circle and tried to get Indiana to legislate it into fact. They apparently do learn.
Skip to My Lou
Member # 40
Profile Homepage #41
If I added a length of coiled copper wire between the two rings...

IMAGE(http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a181/Alexsticks/magpow2.gif)

...could I generate electricity directly? I don't recall exactly how magnets and copper wire can be made to generate electric current, but I'm fairly certain they can.

EDIT:

And why monopoles? Wouldn't this work?

IMAGE(http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a181/Alexsticks/magpow3.gif)

[ Saturday, June 17, 2006 19:12: Message edited by: Archmage Alex ]

--------------------
Take the Personality Test!
Deep down, you wish you were a stick figure.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #42
No. If you do the math and are scrupulously careful to account for the influence of every magnet on every other, you'll find that the forces on each magnet will balance out to zero.

--------------------
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #43
In electromagnetism, you have electric and magnetic fields. Electric fields are created by a thing called charge, a property of a subatomic particle. There is no analog (magnetic monopoles) to magnetic fields, which are created by charges in motion.

The net consequence is that magnetic fields can do no net work, only electric fields can*. You will notice in your design that all the electric fields do indeed cancel. Yes, electromagnetism can be hideously nonintuitive, but that's just the way it is.

To make an electromagnetic motor, you have to spin the magnets with some external force to generate electric currents and set up a voltage. In power plants this is done with the kinetic energy of the turbine. This, in effect, converts kinetic to electric energy. Since magnetic forces can do no work by themselves, it is impossible to convert "magnetic energy" into electrical energy.

* Work is defined as the dot product of force and distance. In the dot product, only the parallel component counts. The magnetic force always acts perpendicular to the direction of motion. Perpendicular components of the dot product will go to zero, hence no work.

[ Sunday, June 18, 2006 06:29: Message edited by: *i ]

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Infiltrator
Member # 3441
Profile Homepage #44
I can't believe that I forgot to mention it, but I invented a device to retrieve snacks that get caught in vending machines. I also do some work in a robotics lab, where I'm working on a automated paintball shooting tank. It autonomously tracks targets and shoots them. The robotics club intends to use it to control the squirrel population on campus.

--------------------
"As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it." --Albert Einstein
--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 1092
Profile Homepage #45
I have just thought of a better way of creating energy through use of a wheel. Gerbils or large rats. Whenever one gets tired put another one on.

--------------------
When you think you can't get any lower in life and hit rock bottom, God hands you a shovel.

Why should I say somthin intelligent when idiots like you make me look intelligent in the first place.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #46
quote:
Originally written by WiKiSpidweb:

The robotics club intends to use it to control the squirrel population on campus.
Why doesn't the robotics club just use... a robotic club?

IMAGE(http://www.livenirvana.com/forum/images/smilies/rimshot.gif)

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 1092
Profile Homepage #47
Because the squirrels are evil and need controlling in the first place. This may also make them a little bit useful.

[ Sunday, June 18, 2006 23:59: Message edited by: Cairo Jim ]

--------------------
When you think you can't get any lower in life and hit rock bottom, God hands you a shovel.

Why should I say somthin intelligent when idiots like you make me look intelligent in the first place.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #48
quote:
Originally written by Cairo Jim:

Because the squirrels are evil and need controlling in the first place. This may also make them a little bit useful.
It was a pun.

"Gobble gobble" just about sums this thread up.

[ Monday, June 19, 2006 03:21: Message edited by: Drow ]

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #49
quote:
Originally written by Drow:

"Gobble gobble" just about sums this thread up.
Are we now going to have to start chanting "We will make you one of us" when we welcome new members?

--------------------

Pages