Would you be interested in a sci fi RPG: THE POLL

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Would you be interested in a sci fi RPG: THE POLL
Warrior
Member # 6682
Profile #0
I was just curious to know on these boards how attached you are to the fantasy genre. Let's imagine, hypothetically, that Jeff were to make a sci-fi RPG but with the same great gameplay/ story elements that the Avernum and Geneforge games are known for...

Would you be interested in such a game? Or are you unequivocally attached to fantasy games only?

For me, personally, Jeff's games have been about the wonderful gameplay, character creation and storyline irrespective of genre. I would personally love to see a new post-apocalyptic or even cyberpunk RPG.
What do you guys think?

Poll Information
This poll contains 1 question(s). 39 user(s) have voted.
You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

function launch_voter () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=vote;pollid=eKOJsGQoylhm"); return true; } // end launch_voter function launch_viewer () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=view;pollid=eKOJsGQoylhm"); return true; } // end launch_viewer function launch_window (url) { preview = window.open( url, "preview", "width=550,height=300,toolbar=no,location=no,directories=no,status,menubar=no,scrollbars,resizable,copyhistory=no" ); window.preview.focus(); return preview; } // end launch_window IMAGE(votenow.gif)     IMAGE(voteresults.gif)

--------------------
Lancer
Shaper
Member # 32
Profile #1
quote:
Some celestial event. No - no words. No words to describe it. Poetry! They should've sent a poet. So beautiful. So beautiful... I had no idea.

--------------------
Lt. Sullust
Cogito Ergo Sum
Polaris
Warrior
Member # 7002
Profile #2
You really shouldn't post two topics for the same thing. I recommended using polls in the future for this kind of thing, not creating another topic
I predict this will be locked shortly.

--------------------
Polaris
Warrior
Member # 6682
Profile #3
I hope not. I already edited my previous topic saying it was ok to lock THAT one in favor of this poll.

Simple newbie mistake.

[ Tuesday, June 13, 2006 16:27: Message edited by: Lancer ]

--------------------
Lancer
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #4
Successful SF RPGs on the computer are rare. I don't know if that's just because designers default to the fantasy genre, or if it's because the technical aspects of SF lend themselves to game-style "realism" less easily than magic does.

I mean really, name one besides Fallout.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Warrior
Member # 6682
Profile #5
quote:
Originally written by Slarty:

Successful SF RPGs on the computer are rare. I don't know if that's just because designers default to the fantasy genre, or if it's because the technical aspects of SF lend themselves to game-style "realism" less easily than magic does.

I believe that you would have to go back to the roots of roleplaying to discover why designers default to the fantasy genre. I think it has to do with the fact that the grandaddy of all RPGs, D&D , was fantasy. It was merely a tried and true formula that worked and others simply followed suit.

Besides, Fallout, I'd point you to KOTOR. Yes Star Wars does have fantasy elements but I'd still firmly place it as sci-fi.

If you consider hybrids to be RPGS, Deus Ex and System Shock 2 are two very well-respected bona-fide sci-fi RPGS.

EDIT: And don't forget the old Gold Box game Buck Rogers!!!

And how can I forget Shadowrun? It is on the Genesis and SNES. But still. It is a PC-style RPG (at least the Genny version) pretty faithful to the PnP game and it is sci-fi. What more could you want?

[ Tuesday, June 13, 2006 17:05: Message edited by: Lancer ]

--------------------
Lancer
Warrior
Member # 6682
Profile #6
quote:
Quoted by Jeff:I've done my best to stretch the genre a little. Nethergate and Geneforge aren't your boilerplate fantasy games. But trying to expand the audience for these games that much is just too terrifying for our little company. RPGs that aren't fantasy tend to get punished.
I know. And I know your reasons are very valid. We have all definitely enjoyed your games and will continue to do so fantasy or not.

But as for a Spiderweb Sci-Fi RPG..we can always dream!

--------------------
Lancer
Board Administrator
Member # 1
Profile Homepage #7
I may actually write an ign.com column about why I only write fantasyish rpgs. But there is a personal reason that I don't.

RPGs are already ludicrous. It's ridiculous that your character gets hit in the chest with a sword 50 times and still lives. But having the same thing with guns exceeds my ability to suspend disbelief. If I shoot you 50 times, you're dead, no matter how many "first aid kit" you found in a crate somewhere.

But this is just me. There are tons of games out there when you get shot 50 times, and they sell just fine.

- Jeff Vogel

--------------------
Official Board Admin
spidweb@spiderwebsoftware.com
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #8
I've always found it strange that very few RPGs take the openings offered by fantasy or sci-fi elements. Personal magical barriers or force fields that can fend off so much damage before the magic power/battery runs out would make a wonderful excuse for the strangely low mortality of RPGs.

In fact, Dune is perfectly set up for it.

—Alorael, who knows that Dune has been made into at least one pencil and paper RPG and several RTS games. But has anyone made a Dune RPG? Are the rights to tangled to be worth the effort?
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #9
I don't know how much I like sci-fi. However, I like Geneforge a lot, and a lot of what I write ends up being a combination of sci-fi and fantasy, so I wouldn't mind another game that combines the two elements.

However, Dikiyoba would like see a humorous fantasy RPG more than a sci-fi RPG.
Shock Trooper
Member # 6908
Profile #10
quote:
Originally written by Spidweb:

It's ridiculous that your character gets hit in the chest with a sword 50 times and still lives.
Actually there are RPG's where this situation is quite balanced. That means, that being hit rather hard you can die, no matter how much health you have. Plus you can't strike immediately after being hit. And some more details. It is really interesting to play with such strong feeling of real fight, but frankly speaking it takes too much time first to study, then to finish the game. I prefer to play Avernum style RPG. I always find an excuse for 50-hit-still-alive fact. I think a person dodges 49 times, losing health due to a hard effort to block-or-parry. And only on 50-th hit you can't pull up your sword to make a block.

----------------------------
Voices correct me about the reason why I don't like "reality fight" games. They say I can never study to fight like block-parry-strike-block way, preferring click left-mouse-button in a hurry to strike first. That's why, they say, I lose. That's why, they repeat, I don't like such games... I'm confused.

--------------------
9 masks sing in a choir:
Gnome Dwarf Slith
Giant Troll Troglo
Human Nephil Vahnatai
"If the mask under mask to SE of mask to the left of mask and to the right of me is the mask below the mask to the right of mask to the right of mask below me is the same, then who am I?"

radix: +2 nicothodes: +1 salmon:+1
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #11
For those who think sci-fi RPGs would be a good idea... two words:

Dancing wookiee.

But seriously, we get enough of a sci-fi flavor with the Vahnatai in Avernum... when used properly, that is.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Infiltrator
Member # 3441
Profile Homepage #12
quote:
Dancing Wookiee
And what is wrong with that. In fact it might be the best thought that has crossed my mind all day.

On a more serious note, I've always been interested in developing a more "realistic" fighting system for RPGs. I think it would be quite interesting to play an RPG where your skills decreased with your HP, and where your injuries don't just heal because you walk around, instead there would be risks of infection and so on. It might not be great for gameplay, but it would be neat to see.

As for the current system, I see it more as a boxing game. All of the hits you recieve are minor blows, but they beat you up, until one just knocks you out/ kills you. It isn't necessarily an incredibly powerful blow tht does you in, it's just a cumulative thing, where one hit finally incapacitates you.

--------------------
"As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it." --Albert Einstein
--------------------
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #13
Originally by WKS:

quote:
quote:
Dancing Wookiee
And what is wrong with that[?] In fact it might be the best thought that has crossed my mind all day.
It's probably funnier when imagined than actually seen. I'm imagining it on its own, and it's pretty funny, but when I imagine it in a any sort of game situation, it's not. Unless its Star Wars: Dance Dance Revolution, that is.

Dikiyoba.
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #14
The game in question.

Sadly, the article does not mention the dancing wookiees. A simple Google search, however, yields terrifyingly strange results.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #15
quote:
Originally written by 19875:

quote:
Originally written by Spidweb:

It's ridiculous that your character gets hit in the chest with a sword 50 times and still lives.
Actually there are RPG's where this situation is quite balanced...

Splinter Cell (PS2) balances this pretty well, IMHO.

--------------------
I'll put a Spring in your step.
:ph34r:
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #16
At one time I thought a fair bit about how to make an SF RPG with deadly ranged weapon combat that wasn't just Russian roulette with blasters. Most of the mechanics were going to be about avoiding getting hit, not about suriving a laser shot.

Modern infantry tactics depend on an initial phase of "winning the firefight", followed by "fire and movement". Winning the firefight means raising the lead content of the air right around the enemy high enough that they stop shooting at you in favor of lying low. (Actually killing them in this phase is a bonus you don't count on.) Fire and movement means having part of your team maintain that suppressing fire, to stop the enemy shooting back, while the other part moves forward a bit. You switch back and forth doing this until somebody on your side gets close enough to hit the enemy for sure with a grenade or a shot or whatever, or to take prisoners if they surrender. This really works, if you have enough more good shots on your side than are against you. Otherwise, time to call for artillery and try to skedaddle.

In principle this could be made into a game, with basic realism not much affected by the artificial assumptions that nobody's lucky enough to get a long range kill, and that nobody's foolish enough to stand up in a hail of bullets to fire back without first crawling away a bit. It would be a battle of nerves and morale against target spotting and accuracy, which could all be represented with things like hit points.

On the other hand, there is no reason to assume that future technology will maintain today's relative balance between armor and weapons (in which body armor only protects against shrapnel and low-powered bullets, not rifle fire or anything heavier). Maybe some tremendous advances in lightweight armor technology (never mind force fields even) could make future battlefields more like medieval ones, with guys taking 50 laser blasts to the chest and keepin' on truckin'. Why not?

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Warrior
Member # 7002
Profile #17
Technically, the Geneforge Series could be consideted as Sci-Fi.

--------------------
Polaris
Infiltrator
Member # 1092
Profile Homepage #18
This Sci Fi RPG would be very interesting if would actually work. I would give a shot at tryin the game, if someone made one.

--------------------
When you think you can't get any lower in life and hit rock bottom, God hands you a shovel.

Why should I say somthin intelligent when idiots like you make me look intelligent in the first place.
Agent
Member # 6581
Profile Homepage #19
quote:
Originally written by Mr.Bookworm:

Technically, the Geneforge Series could be consideted as Sci-Fi.
Agreed.

--------------------
Download Geneforge 4: Rebellion

You have 6 posts. Nobody cares what you think. - Thuryl

Wikipedia may be your friend, but UBB is not. - Dikiyoba
Lifecrafter
Member # 6403
Profile #20
quote:
Originally written by 19875:

elf
+
elf
------
fool
e=?
7. Unless you're doing this by multiplication, in which case, there is an infinite number of answers.

[ Wednesday, June 14, 2006 02:18: Message edited by: radix malorum est cupiditas ]

--------------------
??? ??????
???? ?????
Warrior
Member # 7002
Profile #21
quote:
I've done my best to stretch the genre a little. Nethergate and Geneforge aren't your boilerplate fantasy games. But trying to expand the audience for these games that much is just too terrifying for our little company. RPGs that aren't fantasy tend to get punished.

Locking redundant topic.

- Jeff Vogel
This is from the other topic for this. However, I think most of Spiderweb's fans would buy anything he put out. Spiderweb's more of a niche game company. It doesn't sell they're games to the masses.

--------------------
Polaris
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #22
quote:
Originally written by Slarty:

Fallout 2.

Boom tish.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #23
The Phantasy Star series
Earthbound
System Shock (had some RPG elements)
Shadowrun
Xenogears & the Xenosaga games
The StarOcean series

I can't imagine a Dune RPG would work all that well, any better than Star Wars games do - they both suffer from Glitter Boy Syndrome. In Rifts (but really, this applies to just about any Palladium Game), there was one mega-overpowered class called the Glitter Boy that pretty much rooled over any of the other classes, such that, if you were at all a power gamer, there would be no incentive to choose another class. Star Wars of course has its Jedi's, and in a Dune setting, provided you're playing a game that doesn't just automatically make you Paul Atreides, why would you really want to play a character other than a Fremen?

EDIT: For the record, I have enjoyed playing KOTOR 1 & 2, but they're pretty limited, story-wise - they're both set around a messiah-like Jedi character. Perhaps someone clever could create a compelling story about a scoundrel character, but would the market buy it?

[ Wednesday, June 14, 2006 03:39: Message edited by: Drew ]
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #24
I can think of compelling reasons to play as a Mentat, Navigator, crazy priestess woman, or regular soldier.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00

Pages