Some interesting questions

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Some interesting questions
Shock Trooper
Member # 1814
Profile #0
I wouldn't normally start a topic like this but the curiosity started getting to me.

Does anyone ever think or wonder about:

What language their thoughts occure in?

What color words in their head are?

Or if there was a movie about their life, who would be the best actor to play them?

--------------------
The great light bulb converses its thoughts in a fashion most particular to its complicated nature.

Neither twenty-one nor forsaken any longer, I now stand in freedom through Jesus Christ.
Warrior
Member # 7002
Profile #1
Yes. I believe that when you think you think in:
A. An abstract flurry of images and pictures.
and B. Your own language.

Your thoughts are whatever color you want.

--------------------
Polaris
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #2
Then how do blind and or deaf people's thoughts manifest?
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #3
1. When my thoughts are in words, they are usually in English.

2. "GremlinJoe" is purple, because that's the color gremlins are in Avernum.

3. Dikiyoba would play Dikiyoba's self.
Dollop of Whipped Cream
Member # 391
Profile Homepage #4
My thoughts are usually in words, unless I want to actually picture what I'm thinking.
They used to be in Spanish, then in Spanglish, and now mostly in English but Spanglish every now and then. I can't picture anyone resembling or playing me. Any ideas?

--------------------
"Tyranicus is about the only one that still posts in the Nethergate Forum." —Randomizer
Spiderweb Chat Room
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Shock Trooper
Member # 6666
Profile #5
1) My thoughts depend on the context. If I've been listening to a lecture/movie/album in English, my thoughts are also mostly in English. This happens quite often since pretty much all music I listen to is in English. Otherwise I obviously think in my first language.

2) I'm not very visual, so: Never thought of that, and I don't know.

3) If there was a movie made about my life, it would have to be either strongly fabricated, or a weird east-european art film in b&w. Anyways, whoever actually plays the role of me would be irrelevant.

As for Marlenny's problem: Sorry, I can't think of any young latin actresses, much less cute ones. I guess she would have to be some new talent?
Lifecrafter
Member # 6700
Profile Homepage #6
When I think (as in thinking something through), I tend to think as though I am speaking.
I also tend to think in both abstract images or sounds and environments.
I generally don't think in written words or colors (not without them being part of some visualization); though when I do, they are part of words on the page of a book.

I can think of maybe two contenders for the role of me in a movie:
Either Bruce Willis or Chuck Norris.

--------------------
The Silent Assassin was once involved in a duel of honor.
His role was to assassinate the winner.

--------------------
-Lenar Labs
What's Your Destiny?

Ushmushmeifa: Lenar's power is almighty and ineffable.

All hail lord Noric, god of... well, something important, I'm sure.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #7
I think I think in written text, but how do I know that how I think I think is how I think?

—Alorael, who further realizes that his textual thinking is a large barrier to pronouncing many words right. Sure, nu-clee-er and not nu-cue-ler, but where's the emphasis? He's currently reworking his mental dictionary so that words have the nécessary áccents marked in.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 3441
Profile Homepage #8
I think in English. In fact, I often subvocalize my thoughts. When reading, especially for enjoyment, I stop thinking the words and just start experiencing the story. I think this is why I don't care too much for "literary masterpieces". I don't read the individual words, so the nuances are lost on me.

Edit: FMT

[ Tuesday, May 30, 2006 14:00: Message edited by: WiKiSpidweb ]

--------------------
"As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it." --Albert Einstein
--------------------
Shaper
Member # 32
Profile #9
Most of the time my thoughts are in English. There are rare outbursts, however, where I will think of a Latin phrase.

--------------------
Lt. Sullust
Cogito Ergo Sum
Polaris
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #10
If English writers can't make the shift to a more phonetic spelling system, at least we could start marking accents the way that the Greeks do (and the way that the Russians should).

As for an actress to play Marlenny, Selma Hayek is the first person who's coming to mind.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 1092
Profile Homepage #11
My thoughts are usually spoken, very little or no words, and some of the time there's a picture of someone talking. Either that or it's my own voice in my head talking.

EDIT:It's all in English.

[ Tuesday, May 30, 2006 20:40: Message edited by: Cairo Jim ]

--------------------
When you think you can't get any lower in life and hit rock bottom, God hands you a shovel.

Why should I say somthin intelligent when idiots like you make me look intelligent in the first place.
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #12
I think in the language appropriate for the situation: If I am thinking about English-language material or about speaking to Americans, I think in English. If I am thinking about Russian books or speaking to Russians, I think in Russian. And when I was studying German in school, I would sometimes think of random German phrases.

About accent marks, they aren't necessary unless placement of accent impacts the meaning. In those cases accent marks are used already (at least in Russian). Phonetic spelling in English would be very helpful, and American English seems to be moving in that direction already with pronouncing of silent 'r', and other changes to pronunciation and spelling to make the two more similar.

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #13
There are no particularly useful rules for the placement of stress in English (or, I think, in Russian), so my reason for marking the stress would be to indicate exactly how to pronounce the word. The point is not to clarify meaning but to make it easier to pronounce unfamiliar words.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #14
I tend to think in English, but every so often something in German will sneak in. I don't see colors in the words in my head, unless I specifically visualize the words. Otherwise, the things in my head fall more along the lines of "indistinct shapes" than actual words.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #15
Not sure why anyone would want to make a movie about me, but maybe Christian Bale?

--------------------
SupaNik: Aran, you're not big enough to threaten Ash. Dammit, even JV had to think twice.
Lifecrafter
Member # 34
Profile Homepage #16
They say you know you're fluent in a language when your thoughts are in that tongue. I'm not sure what they say about thoughts in different colors, but it probably either involves poetry or odd mushrooms.

As for question C, John Rubenstein, because of the hair.

--------------------
Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die, your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck.

'Spiderweb Software' anagrammmed: 'Word-bereft A**wipe'
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #17
My thoughts are evenly pictures/colors and English words.

I'm not sure who would play me in a movie.
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00
Lifecrafter
Member # 3171
Profile Homepage #18
My thoughts are in english and pretty much always words. Unless I'm thinking of certain things that just plain arn't as fun without pictures.
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #19
1. English
2. Matches my mood
3. Jenna Jameson :P

--------------------
I'll put a Spring in your step.
:ph34r:
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #20
quote:
Originally written by Ephesos:

I tend to think in English, but every so often something in German will sneak in. I don't see colors in the words in my head, unless I specifically visualize the words. Otherwise, the things in my head fall more along the lines of "indistinct shapes" than actual words.
Is your first language German, or did you just spend as much time using German as I did English?

I tend to think in English a lot of the time...

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #21
1) Mostly English words in an aural modality. I don't naturally think in pictures and it's fairly difficult for me to do so deliberately with any accuracy; my spatial reasoning skills are passable at best. It's very loud and very dark inside my head most of the time.

2) I'm not a synaesthete.

3) Apparently, popular vote has decided on Macaulay Culkin. But I'd prefer Hugh Grant.

[ Wednesday, May 31, 2006 01:10: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #22
For #3, I suppose I'll say Yul Brynner.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 5410
Profile #23
English
Red (at the moment)
Kramer (the character not the actor who played him)

[ Wednesday, May 31, 2006 05:42: Message edited by: Germany Wins ]

--------------------
"Dikiyoba ... is demon ... drives people mad and ... do all sorts of strange things."

"You Spiderwebbians are mad, mad, mad as March hares."
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #24
quote:
Originally written by Henry Anthony Wilcox:

Is your first language German, or did you just spend as much time using German as I did English?
5 years of studying German, and my brain is still echoing from the Advanced Placement test. Even though I haven't studied it for a year, I still get the odd sentence or two.

(More so since I posted in this topic)

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.

Pages