Do we have a new moderator?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Do we have a new moderator?
Agent
Member # 1993
Profile #0
I just discovered the thread about gender discrimination, abortion and overpopulation, closed by Spidweb before one week. Since I could find neither infringements of the CoC nor mocking of JV himself or his games, this comes totally unexpected. And nobody cried out in indignation for the liberty of speech? I am startled.

Now abortion - that has been discussed here several times already - is on the black list. Why abortion? Will other subjects become illicit as well? Gay marriage? Gene technology?

Don't get me wrong. I won't dispute Jeffs rights to do what ever he wants on these boards, since he is the owner. I only never saw him interfere with general and close apparently causeless a topic. Unbelievable. How can the founder of the Scorched Earth Party suddenly be so philistine? He confused me seriously.

:P Ok., he might have entered this forum ignoring the turtles ...

--------------------
Slartucker: * facepalm facepalm facepalm *
Dikiyoba: Are you unconscious yet?
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #1
Jeff has the authority to do that. He owns the boards, more or less.

And personally, I'm glad he stepped on the abortion topic. We don't need another political flame-war...

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Agent
Member # 1993
Profile #2
1. That's what I said, more or less :)
2. Nevertheless you posted in that topic ...

--------------------
Slartucker: * facepalm facepalm facepalm *
Dikiyoba: Are you unconscious yet?
Agent
Member # 4506
Profile Homepage #3
So what's this got to do with a new moderator? Do you mean JV's going to start moderating over here. I for one wouldn't mind that if it meant he'd be around more. He'd have to be active to moderate, after all ;) .

- Archmagus Micael

--------------------
"You dare Trifle with Avernum?" ~ Erika the Archmage
--------------------
My Scenarios:
Undead Valley : A small Undead problem, what could possibly go wrong?
--------------------
Richard Black - PROOF of his existance (the Infernal one's website).
--------------------
MY FORUM! Randomosity at it's highest! :)
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #4
Yeah, I wasn't too happy when the topic closed. It's not often I have an arguement with people whose IQ is above room temperature.

Ultimately, it's a matter of who owns the forums. It's his site. If we really want to continue the debate, we could always go to another forum, or use PMs.

--------------------
IF I EVER BECOME AN EVIL OVERLORD:
When my guards split up to search for intruders, they will always travel in groups of at least two. They will be trained so that if one of them disappears mysteriously while on patrol, the other will immediately initiate an alert and call for backup, instead of quizzically peering around a corner.
Agent
Member # 6581
Profile Homepage #5
[enigmatic]Well, this forum belong to JV, so He can do everything He want... It was right? It was wrong? No idea. Maybe yes, maybe no. :P [/enigmatic]

--------------------
Download Geneforge 4: Rebellion

You have 6 posts. Nobody cares what you think. - Thuryl

Wikipedia may be your friend, but UBB is not. - Dikiyoba
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #6
Originally by spy-there:

quote:
And nobody cried out in indignation for the liberty of speech?
Isn't that what you are doing in this topic? Politely and reasonably, of course.

Dikiyoba.
Infiltrator
Member # 6652
Profile #7
I was pretty annoyed when he closed that topic too. I have no clue why he did it, though. He made it seem like he didn't like us arguing, but there are currently two spirited arguments here, and he hasn't closed them.
But after Ashgate, with the completely unnecessary deleting of topics and giving Ash no clear warning, I've accepted that these boards are basically a dictatorship.

We're lucky if this topic isn't closed. Ah well.

--------------------
But I don't want to ride the elevator.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #8
We've discovered that Jeff doesn't like threats to his family or disparagement of his games. He also doesn't like debates that range into murderous.

That seems fair enough for a family board.

—Alorael, who certainly thinks other mods, himself included, have made more questionable locking decisions. Ultimately, Jeff still takes the blame because he is somehow the man to hate on Spiderweb.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 6652
Profile #9
Debates on abortion are only murderous if you're anti-abortion :P .

But anyway, to steer the topic away from that, what questionable locking deciscions have you made? Worst I ever saw was Imban not banning TM after a post he made that was nothing but repetitive strings of "I have no clue why I'm not banned yet."

--------------------
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #10
Jeff said that he doesn't want the boards to become a political battleground and that they should be welcoming to everyone.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Infiltrator
Member # 3441
Profile Homepage #11
I was a bit bummed, because that was one of the most intelligent debates I've ever seen on that issue, but as everyone has said, Jeff is perfectly within his rights to close a topic. In fact, he really doesn't have to give a reason. It's his boards.

--------------------
"As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it." --Albert Einstein
--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 6652
Profile #12
quote:
Originally written by Drakefyre:

Jeff said that he doesn't want the boards to become a political battleground and that they should be welcoming to everyone.
Ah. I see. If only he could have made that clear in his post, us whiners wouldn't be whining.

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 3441
Profile Homepage #13
No, I'd still whine. I'd just find something different to whine about.

--------------------
"As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it." --Albert Einstein
--------------------
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #14
Well, he's a bit late to the party. That was, what, the 73rd abortion topic we've had? And the 564th debate topic? Never mind the fact that aside from one or two comments, everyone was being very reasonable.

That said, if we want to have future debates undisturbed, all we have to do is title the topic "Post pictures of your kittens!" and he'll never read it. :P

--------------------
SupaNik: Aran, you're not big enough to threaten Ash. Dammit, even JV had to think twice.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #15
quote:
Originally written by Wonko The Sane:

quote:
Originally written by Drakefyre:

Ah. I see. If only he could have made that clear in his post, us whiners wouldn't be whining.

quote:
Originally written by Spidweb:

I'm exercising owner's privilege on this one. There are a few topics I'd rather not have mega-arguments on my site about. This be one.
I guess that this could have been clearer, but eh. It's not to hard to get from what Jeff said to what Drakey said.

quote:
Originally written by spy-there:

And nobody cried out in indignation for the liberty of speech?
People have expressed this sentiment in seriousness before, and it strikes me as unbelievably clueless. You don't have free speech on these boards. You're not supposed to have free speech on these boards. You clicked "okay" to an agreement that said so when you registered.

[ Tuesday, April 11, 2006 15:24: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #16
There is a Russian saying "the one who pays the bill selects the music".

If you want to have free speech on an online message board, you have to do the following:
1. Open your own Internet Service Provider with direct connection to Internet backbone.
2. Buy your own web servers.
3. Open your own message board.

If you skip any of the steps above, the corresponding entity (ISP, web-host, or message board owner) can refuse to help you distribute your speech.

[ Tuesday, April 11, 2006 15:43: Message edited by: Zeviz ]

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Lifecrafter
Member # 6193
Profile Homepage #17
When Jeff stepped in the debate was heated, but still reasonable. Considering the fact that posts often had only a minute or so between them, it could turn into a flame war very quickly. Whether or not Jeff would then have been quick enough to stop any abortion clinics from being bombed it questionable. Think of all the innocent kittens stopping by for family entertainment!!!!!

And yes, Jeff can do whatever the hell he wants on his boards, and is justified in doing so.

--------------------
Guaranteed to blow your mind.

Frostbite: Get It While It's...... Hot?
Infiltrator
Member # 3441
Profile Homepage #18
quote:
Open your own Internet Service Provider with direct connection to Internet backbone.
You have to do something pretty darn extreme to have your ISP bail out on you. The oly case of this I know of was when a friend of mine stole a domain name and posted instrutions for making various chemical biological and explosive weapons at that site. His ISP stopped his service.

--------------------
--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #19
If you are an ISP, you can still get shut down. Depending on whether you are in Washington, Sibiria, Hong Kong or a satellite-connected server farm on a ship in international waters, it might take a bit longer I suppose, but if you actually violate the law, it is more a question of time.

Bypassing web hosts, there are far cheaper ways to remain quite anonymous, which I saw when looking for web hosts last year. Google for "offshore webhosting". The above applies, naturally.

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #20
I think that before Jeff can come in at some arbitrary moment and perform some inpacting administrative duty (such as banning Ash or locking debates), he needs to be much more active on the message boards. Obviously he's not been here much during all the religion, political, and moral debates and has not seen all the heated argument, bashing on ben, and obscene puns by TM. What might he say then?

It's okay if he's not on the board that much, but he shouldn't make administrative decisions directed at specific members or topics unless he has a good background in the level of acceptance of content here or, of course, it's obviously against the CoC.

--------------------
-ben4808
Infiltrator
Member # 3441
Profile Homepage #21
It's great that you think that, Ben, but frankly, I don't think Jeff gives a damn. His forum, his rules.

--------------------
--------------------
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #22
I just think that if those are his rules, he ought to actually write them down as rules and get moderators to enforce them. As is, they aren't rules. They're whims of the mighty Jeff.

[ Tuesday, April 11, 2006 18:14: Message edited by: Ash Lael ]

--------------------
SupaNik: Aran, you're not big enough to threaten Ash. Dammit, even JV had to think twice.
Infiltrator
Member # 3441
Profile Homepage #23
It certainly wouldn't hurt. But I think he is avoiding making blanket rules specifically to allow him to use his own discretion.

--------------------
--------------------
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #24
quote:
Originally written by Ur-Noob:

bashing on ben
Yeah-- you're right. You christians are far too persecuted nowadays.

I mean it. We really should stop feeding you to the lions. Or forcing people to convert to atheism at gunpoint. Or declaring wars to spread our superior, atheist culture abroad. Or electing governments that are blatantly one-sided in their anti-religious convictions and alienate christians.

If heaven exists and it's for christians only, let me know now so I can start accepting satan as my personal savior.

EDIT: Or are you implying that your beliefs aren't well defined enough, and we should give you quarter for you to explore them without being shut down? And if that's the case, you are a more arrogant and oblivious prat than I had ever imagined-- worst part is, in christian America, you will be the one to get your way.

[ Tuesday, April 11, 2006 20:21: Message edited by: Butt Paladin ]

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00

Pages