What instruments do you play?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: What instruments do you play?
Infiltrator
Member # 2836
Profile #0
What the title says. Which instrument(s) do you play? If any instrument is not listed, please post it.
Oh, and please excuse me if I put an instrument in the wrong section. I'm unsure if the harp is a string instrument or not, and I have no idea if the bassoon and recorder are really woodwind instruments.

[ Friday, April 07, 2006 02:11: Message edited by: The Stew Boy ]

Poll Information
This poll contains 1 question(s). 43 user(s) have voted.
You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

function launch_voter () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=vote;pollid=HOVydDGLWDgj"); return true; } // end launch_voter function launch_viewer () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=view;pollid=HOVydDGLWDgj"); return true; } // end launch_viewer function launch_window (url) { preview = window.open( url, "preview", "width=550,height=300,toolbar=no,location=no,directories=no,status,menubar=no,scrollbars,resizable,copyhistory=no" ); window.preview.focus(); return preview; } // end launch_window IMAGE(votenow.gif)     IMAGE(voteresults.gif)
Lifecrafter
Member # 6403
Profile #1
Drums and (you forgot) vocals.

--------------------
??? ??????
???? ?????
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #2
Piano.

What's with all the polls lately?

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Infiltrator
Member # 2836
Profile #3
Don't ask me. I just thought it would be a good idea to have this poll.
Okay, I admit it, I deliberately missed out vocals. For two reasons:
a) Most people, if not all, can sing to some extent, so it would be a bit pointless including it.
b) I'm not sure if the vocal cords are actually considered an instrument or not, in any case.
Lifecrafter
Member # 6403
Profile #4
A) Most people can sing to some extent. Most people cannot sing at the extent where people would pay for them to do it.
B) They are.

[ Friday, April 07, 2006 03:04: Message edited by: radix malorum est cupiditas ]

--------------------
??? ??????
???? ?????
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #5
I play the piano very well, the guitar quite well, and used to sing in a band until other committments forced me to quit.

Whilst a lot of people will say they can sing, I did win an award for it once, although it was a few years ago.

Mostly, I focus on playing the piano though, since it's easily the nicest sounding one I can play.

--------------------
And when you want to Live
How do you start?
Where do you go?
Who do you need to know?

*Name by Slarty, so blame him if it's filthy...
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #6
I play the trombone now for seven years. bassoon and recorder are certainly woodwind instruments, and a harp is a "plucked instruments" as they call it in my notation program.

By the way, playing the trombone means you can almost automatically play Tuba and trumpet, though you'de have to learn the key signature first. I don't know how the trumpet's key signature works, but I do understand the bass (F) signature and the tenor and alt signatures.

I would like to play horn, but I doubt that will be happening in the near future.

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
Warrior
Member # 6234
Profile #7
Drums, guitar, bass-guitar and keyboard/piano, although I must admit I can't play keyboard that well.

I've been playing the drums for over 8 years, so I'm pretty damn good at it, and guitar and bass-guitar for about 4 years, but guitar about 2 hours a day and bass-guitar only once in a while. I'm pretty good at playing guitar, although I never had lessons to learn to play it. But ironicly, I'm better then most 4-years-playing guitarists. The keyboard thing is from about 3 years ago, but I don't play it that much.

This said, my intention isn't to sound arrogant.

--------------------
There are 400 words in the dictionary that begin with "self" and only 8 that begin with "fellow".

When in doubt. . . mumble.
Infiltrator
Member # 3441
Profile Homepage #8
You misspelled 'cello! I am saddened :( .
Also I regret the lack of vocals. I am in a collegiate a capella group. If you listen to all the things you can do with a voice it is amazing.

--------------------
"As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it." --Albert Einstein
--------------------
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #9
I used to play the clarinet, and then the recorder before that in fourth grade, so I selected them both. I would be still playing now, but my new school has only 6 periods instead of 7. :(

--------------------
-ben4808
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #10
Harp is string, recorder is a woodwind (a non-transverse flute, actually), and bassoon is a woodwind too.

Vocals aren't an instrument. An instrument is something that isn't you that you use. You don't ever play your voice like you play an instrument. This is an utterly insignificant distinction, but I like to make it.

I'm willing to consider vocal cords a stringed instrument, though. If you've got two singers you can get vocal chords!

—Alorael, who has played recorder for more years than he can easily count, although he has never formally studied music and thus does more muddling through than real understanding of baroque style. He is thus always angered by people who "played" recorder in elementary school. You wouldn't claim you can play xylophone because you once banged on one, would you?
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #11
Flute and bassoon. It's been a while since I played the bassoon, though.

Dikiyoba could also play the piano and the recorder if neccessary but has no desire to, so Dikiyoba didn't vote for them.
Agent
Member # 6581
Profile Homepage #12
No instrument at all. I'm too busy... :D

--------------------
Download Geneforge 4: Rebellion

You have 6 posts. Nobody cares what you think. - Thuryl

Wikipedia may be your friend, but UBB is not. - Dikiyoba
Agent
Member # 5814
Profile #13
quote:
Originally written by Jeffrey, Lord of Ultra Omega Doom:

—Alorael, who has played recorder for more years than he can easily count, although he has never formally studied music and thus does more muddling through than real understanding of baroque style. He is thus always angered by people who "played" recorder in elementary school. You wouldn't claim you can play xylophone because you once banged on one, would you?
If you took three lessons in elementary school and now, five years later, can play a major scale in the same octave and with a steady pitch, can you play?

I also play the piano, which seems to be very popular, and the clarinet and sax, which probably helped me play the recorder.

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon
Well, I'm at least pretty

Dollop of Whipped Cream
Member # 391
Profile Homepage #14
I tried the Piano, Guitar, and even the drums. Fortunately for everyone, including myself, I gave up. So NO, I can't play any instruments.

--------------------
"Tyranicus is about the only one that still posts in the Nethergate Forum." —Randomizer
Spiderweb Chat Room
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Lifecrafter
Member # 6700
Profile Homepage #15
In my personal professional repitiore (sp?):
Trumpet (and Flugelhorn, obviously)
Mellophone
Bugle

Things that I've been trained to do but haven't done in years:
Percussion
melodic percussion
french horn
baritone
recorder

Self-Taught, for pleasure and writing only:
Keyboards.

And I sing bass/baritone.

I was almost a music major at one point, before I wanted to go into the industial sciences.
Before I went into media.

--------------------
The Silent Assassin's instrument of choice is the trombone, though he is quite proficient in tuba, baritone, euphonium, bugle (don't ask), and baton (wavy stick).
He also claims that he sings tenor, but I have yet to witness any proof.

--------------------
-Lenar Labs
What's Your Destiny?

Ushmushmeifa: Lenar's power is almighty and ineffable.

All hail lord Noric, god of... well, something important, I'm sure.
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #16
Unless you count the human voice, I've got nothing. Heck, even if you count vocal stuff, I've still got basically nothing.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Infiltrator
Member # 6652
Profile #17
Baritone FTW.

And not a baritone sax either. A baritone horn. Actually a euphonium. Apparently baritone horns are those weird things with two valves that point sideways.

--------------------
But I don't want to ride the elevator.
Shock Trooper
Member # 125
Profile #18
Voice and harpsichord (transition from piano this year).

--------------------
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #19
Trumpet for a couple years in junior high, and recorder in elementary.

I'm disappointed not to see the inclusion of the triangle and jew's harp. ;)

--------------------
IF I EVER BECOME AN EVIL OVERLORD:
I will design fortress hallways with no alcoves or protruding structural supports which intruders could use for cover in a firefight.
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #20
The Ukulele! Well I did at one time.

:cool:

See

--------------------
The Knight Between Posts.
Shock Trooper
Member # 3377
Profile #21
Violin and flute.

Recorder, too, though I don't consider something mass taught by schools in such a superficial way to be playing. Piano, self-taught, but enough to bang out a decent tune. Anyone who can play a violin can also play viola, cello and double-bass, though I don't have the latter handy. And since I'm being pedantic about this, anyone who can play a flute can also play a piccolo.

Alo... that's a truly horrible pun.

[ Friday, April 07, 2006 18:10: Message edited by: premonition ]
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #22
I'd apologize, but I'm really just not sorry.

—Alorael, who has been told that the recorder is less commonly "taught" in European elementary schools. The recorder also has more of a reputation as an uncommon baroque instrument rather than a fake instrument for small children. He suspects a causal link.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #23
quote:
Originally written by Jeffrey, Lord of Ultra Omega Doom:

Harp is string, recorder is a woodwind (a non-transverse flute, actually), and bassoon is a woodwind too.
Don't want to offend you in any way, but why is it you always repeat what is already said?

EDIT: Dikiyoba, you play the bassoon? Is it a difficult instrument to play? I'm very fond of the bassoon, and in my compositions, like the first symphony I'm composing at the moment, I always give the bassoon nice parts to play. Solo's too, of course.

EDIT 2: now that I think of it, I have the large part of my symphony in wav format (which can be converted to mp3 to make it smaller, don't worry Aran ;) ), so if enough people would like to hear it, I can put it up on a seperate page on my website.

[ Friday, April 07, 2006 22:58: Message edited by: Mc 'mini' Thralni ]

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
BANNED
Member # 2064
Profile #24
I've played the guitar for about 6 years now, and it still sounds like it was only yesterday...

--------------------
I am an idiot.

Pages