What instruments do you play?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: What instruments do you play?
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #25
Originally by Thralni:

quote:
EDIT: Dikiyoba, you play the bassoon? Is it a difficult instrument to play? I'm very fond of the bassoon, and in my compositions, like the first symphony I'm composing at the moment, I always give the bassoon nice parts to play. Solo's too, of course.
Dikiyoba's hands are just big enough to reach every key. But Dikiyoba can play the B flat major scale in half notes. And that's about it.
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #26
Thralni, what program do you use to create music? At my high school, we had a program which had just enough capability to create a rendition of 'Hot Cross Buns'. In MIDI format. Hopefully, it's freeware, and in English (I have Dutch ancestry, but that doesn't translate into knowledge of the language).

--------------------
Error #042: User is incompetent.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #27
I described the instruments because I somehow overlooked that part of your post, Thralni. Sorry!

—Alorael, who can slowly and painstakingly produce painful cacaphony using Sibelius, which is neither free nor intended for such use.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #28
Today I started practicing the guitar again - I tried it once nearly a year ago, but then gave up again. I still can't do more than play a few tunes from memory while searching for each note in turn, but that's how I started playing the piano twelve years ago. :)

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Infiltrator
Member # 3441
Profile Homepage #29
The only song I know on the guitar is Day Tripper, by the Beatles.

[ Saturday, April 08, 2006 16:30: Message edited by: Smugglers' Alliance, Chief of the ]

--------------------
"As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it." --Albert Einstein
--------------------
Agent
Member # 3364
Profile Homepage #30
I've played viola for 17 years, though it's only been out a handful of times this last year.

I also tinker with the piano enough to be able to read the music and play a song well with both hands after about two weeks [Edit:per page]. (Never have learned to incorporate the foot pedals though.)

Reading the trebble clef music for the piano has had the ill effect of causing me to forget how to read alto. I can usually figure it out after a little study but it's not instantanious anymore. I probably just need to practice more.

[ Saturday, April 08, 2006 16:49: Message edited by: Jewels ]

--------------------
"Even the worst Terror from Hell can be transformed to a testimony from Heaven!" - Rev. David Wood 6\23\05

"Do all the good you can, by all the means you can, in all the ways you can, in all the places you can, at all the times you can, to all the people you can, as long as you ever can." - John Wesley
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #31
quote:
Originally written by Dintiradan:

Thralni, what program do you use to create music? At my high school, we had a program which had just enough capability to create a rendition of 'Hot Cross Buns'. In MIDI format. Hopefully, it's freeware, and in English (I have Dutch ancestry, but that doesn't translate into knowledge of the language).
I use Finale Printmusic. Its a simple program in which you just click the notes in there appropriate places (that is, where you want them to be). You can then save it a standard Coda notation file, as a MIDI file or an audio CD track file.

I tried to use the names given to the things that were used in the program (the program is in English, don't worry), but I didn't have the program running and was too lazy to turn it on. I chose Printmusic above Sibelius, as Sibelius is way too advanced for me (and the MIDI instruments' sounds are horrible. The ones used in printmusic are actually quite good). If you want to try it, their website is here: Finale music

From there you can download the demo of Finale Printmusic 2006. however, you'll have to create an account before being able to download anything. When you have the program, listening to my music will be a lot easier (if you want to listen, that is).

Dikiyoba: That's a pity.

Alorael: It's okay, and it took me at least four years to come to a point in which my music became sort of listenable (if that's a word in English).

Jewels: I'm also fond of violas. there are four or five instruments which I really like, and almost always have good parts in the music I compose: trombone, horn, bassoon, viola and cello.

[ Saturday, April 08, 2006 23:00: Message edited by: Mc 'mini' Thralni ]

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #32
Thanks a bunch, Thralni. I'll check it out tomorrow.

--------------------
Opus #1: Comprised entirely of triangle solos.
Infiltrator
Member # 3441
Profile Homepage #33
This is my favorite composition so far. Check it out!

--------------------
"As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it." --Albert Einstein
--------------------
Shock Trooper
Member # 3377
Profile #34
Jewels: join a local orchestra!
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #35
quote:

Thanks a bunch, Thralni. I'll check it out tomorrow.

--------------------
Opus #1: Comprised entirely of triangle solos.

So how is the composition going?

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #36
Actually, I'm downloading the demo as I type. Too bad it's shareware... guess I'll just have to re-install every 30 days.

I'm checking out the Sibelius site now.

--------------------
IF I EVER BECOME AN EVIL OVERLORD:
If I decide to test a lieutenant's loyalty and see if he/she should be made a trusted lieutenant, I will have a crack squad of marksmen standing by in case the answer is no.
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #37
quote:

Actually, I'm downloading the demo as I type. Too bad it's shareware... guess I'll just have to re-install every 30 days.

I'm checking out the Sibelius site now.

--------------------
IF I EVER BECOME AN EVIL OVERLORD:
If I decide to test a lieutenant's loyalty and see if he/she should be made a trusted lieutenant, I will have a crack squad of marksmen standing by in case the answer is no.

Reinstalling wouldn't be necessary, as (probably) the web site will remember if your trial is over. In other words, after 30 days, you can't do anything anymore (that is, you can't print or save, which is a lot more than with other demo versions: this is actually the first version in which you can save and print the first 30 days. Other versions you couldn't print or save at all).

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Lifecrafter
Member # 6403
Profile #38
Well that depends if you have a constant IP adress or not. The website remembers the IP, not the computer. For some reason my IP changes every time I disconnect and reconnect to the internet, anyone else with the same kind of fluctuating IP adress could do what Dintiradan said.

--------------------
??? ??????
???? ?????
Infiltrator
Member # 3441
Profile Homepage #39
some Internet providers, such as AOL, give you a different IP proxy each time you sign on. Otherwise, you could manually assign a proxy IP address.

--------------------
--------------------
Lifecrafter
Member # 4682
Profile #40
Cello!!!! :)
Sorry, I had injured my left arm and I've just been able to play again.
I can also play bowed psaltery(medieval instrument), recorder, and pennywhistle and kind of play piano(right hand only), harmonica, and guitar and currently am an alto(evil vocal cords).

--------------------
Do not underestimate the power of the mechanical pencil.

Join the Dark side. We have cookies.

Played in:
Fiddler on the Roof
Bye Bye Birdie

"Hey, Patrick, feel this random pipe. It's squishy"-Nils
Agent
Member # 3364
Profile Homepage #41
quote:
Originally written by premonition:

Jewels: join a local orchestra!
I would but the rugrats are a bit of a hinderance at their age. As the youngest is in his terrible twos, it's not safe to try practicing while sitting down( I know, I've tried). I plan to find one in a few years when he starts school.

--------------------
"Even the worst Terror from Hell can be transformed to a testimony from Heaven!" - Rev. David Wood 6\23\05

"Do all the good you can, by all the means you can, in all the ways you can, in all the places you can, at all the times you can, to all the people you can, as long as you ever can." - John Wesley
Agent
Member # 1934
Profile Homepage #42
I play all sorts of percussion and love it! I did try bassoon once, but I nearly passed out from lack of oxygen to my brain. Not fun.
Whoever was writing the song for triangles, I want to see it when you are done. :D

[ Tuesday, April 11, 2006 17:09: Message edited by: Andraste ]

--------------------
You acquire an item: Radio Free Foil
Shock Trooper
Member # 5969
Profile #43
Yay flute. (And a lot of recorder…ists, too. o_O Awesome.)
I use PrintMusic, too, but what you hear in the playback isn't actually MIDI instruments. It's Quicktime SoftSynth, which sounds a lot better than MIDI. Then, when you switch it to MIDI, to send as a file in an email or something, it sounds really bad. -_-;;

--------------------
A C, an E-flat, and a G walk into the Tower of the Magi.
Ambrin walks up to them and says, "Hey! It's the Triad!"
Kelner snorts and says, "Pretty minor Triad if you ask me."
Apprentice
Member # 7019
Profile #44
When I was younger I was somewhat able to play clarinet, guitar, and piano.

Nowadays I'm pretty good with drums and ok with guitar.
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #45
quote:
Originally written by Smugglers' Alliance, Chief of the:

This is my favorite composition so far. Check it out!
I finally got around to clicking on that link. I like it. In fact, I'm listening to it repeatedly right now. Thank you for the audio entertainment.

And while I'm on the subject, thank you Yo Bob! Studios for your music as well.

Dikiyoba.
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #46
quote:
Originally written by Erika Maroonmark:

Yay flute. (And a lot of recorder…ists, too. o_O Awesome.)
I use PrintMusic, too, but what you hear in the playback isn't actually MIDI instruments. It's Quicktime SoftSynth, which sounds a lot better than MIDI. Then, when you switch it to MIDI, to send as a file in an email or something, it sounds really bad. -_-;;

Then Printmusic 2001 didn't have the option to use it, otherwise I would have used it by default. None of the versions of Finale x 2001 probably had it (x = fill in the version of whatever Finale program).

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Warrior
Member # 7021
Profile #47
Guitar rocks. But I also play blues harp (Harmonica)

--------------------
"My Mazaradi goes 185
They Took my License
Now I don’t drive
But I got me a limo
And I sit in the back
Lock all the doors
In case I’m attacked.”
Shock Trooper
Member # 5969
Profile #48
quote:
Originally written by Mc 'mini' Thralni:

Then Printmusic 2001 didn't have the option to use it, otherwise I would have used it by default. None of the versions of Finale x 2001 probably had it (x = fill in the version of whatever Finale program).
I think I used to have 2001. When I switched to 2004, nothing was different. It sounded a little bit better, but neither sounded like MIDI.
(Edit: Whoops. Just kidding. I have 2002, not 2001. Gah. Um… yeah. Second really dumb thing I've said in two days.)

[ Wednesday, April 12, 2006 12:44: Message edited by: Erika Maroonmark ]

--------------------
A C, an E-flat, and a G walk into the Tower of the Magi.
Ambrin walks up to them and says, "Hey! It's the Triad!"
Kelner snorts and says, "Pretty minor Triad if you ask me."
Shock Trooper
Member # 3377
Profile #49
quote:
Originally written by Andraste:

I did try bassoon once, but I nearly passed out from lack of oxygen to my brain. Not fun.
Had the same thing happen to me the first time I tried a clarinet. 'course, the fact that the instrument (and the reed) had last been used at least two decades ago probably didn't help.

Pages