Hell freezes over.

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Hell freezes over.
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #0
And in other news, IMAGE(http://www.stuttgarter-zeitung.de/media_fast/626/mac_mit_windows_1.jpg).

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #1
Play Station 3? Or maybe not...

--------------------
-ben4808
Lifecrafter
Member # 6193
Profile Homepage #2
Looks like a hard drive. Unfortunately I'm not well enough informed to know what exactly it is.

--------------------
Guaranteed to blow your mind.

Frostbite: Get It While It's...... Hot?
Shock Trooper
Member # 125
Profile #3
For the uninformed, Apple supports dual-booting Windows on Intel Macs.

--------------------
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #4
Mhhh, I hope someone really through this through first.

--------------------
The Knight Between Posts.
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #5
I read a review in the Wall Street Journal that makes it seem like a good idea. It makes Windows more useable than that piece of junk emulator that Microsoft sells. Microsoft deliberately disabled 3D graphics to prevent game use.

Even if you get a Windows virus you should be able to run the Mac part to get help.

I was wondering if anyone that had an Intel based Mac had downloaded Boot Camp and tried out Windows games? The games mentioned in the article like Flight Simulator wouldn't have pushed the system to a limit.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #6
With an Intel processor, Apple had the choice of doing it themselves or having others make it work. I think they made the right choice, and it makes me want an Intel Mac myself.

In other news, Windows can now be run on a virtual machine. Goodbye, VPC. Hello, closest thing to Rosetta for Windows to Mac that we're going to get for a while.

I didn't know Microsoft sold an emulator. There are a number of Windows emulators, the most popular of which are Virtual PC and SoftWindows, but they don't allow 3D graphics or a number of other things for reasons of incompatibility, not deliberate prevention.

—Alorael, who would guess that just about everything you can do on a PC you can do with Boot Camp and at about the same speed. You're running the same OS on its native chip, so there's nothing that would cause slowdowns like emulation and virtualization do. Mac hardware incompatibility with Windows might crop up at some point, but basically you could probably decide to buy an iMac solely to run Windows. It would be a strange choice, but you could do it.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #7
The reciprocal is also true. One can run MacOS x86 on an Intel or AMD PC. I have a friend who downloaded a pirated copy of the MacOS installation software via Bit Torrent and installed it on his AMD K7 system.

Edit: For the uninformed, x86 is the technical specification for all 32-bit Intel/AMD chips

[ Thursday, April 06, 2006 20:11: Message edited by: Tyranicus ]

--------------------
"You're drinking liquor because you're thirsty? How nasty is your freaking water?" —Lazarus
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Shock Trooper
Member # 125
Profile #8
quote:
Originally written by Jeffrey, Lord of Ultra Omega Doom:

I didn't know Microsoft sold an emulator.
Microsoft owns VPC, as of early 2003.

--------------------
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #9
Gah. They should have added Linux instead. ;)

quote:
Originally written by Randomizer:

Even if you get a Windows virus you should be able to run the Mac part to get help.
My tiredness made me read this as "even if you get a Windows virus you should be able to run it on your Mac." :P

In other news, I wonder how this will affect Spiderweb - will Jeff still make two versions of his games now?

On the other hand, having to adapt to developing on a Windows platform might not be worth the time saved in porting. But I don't know anything about that.

[ Friday, April 07, 2006 04:34: Message edited by: Kuranes- ]

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #10
1) This software is still beta.
2) It requires an Intel-based mac, which (at the moment, and for many moments coming) does not describe the majority of macs people have.
3) At the moment, at least, it requires buying XP, a $60+ investment. (And depending on what Microsoft and/or its vendors think of the venture, the price on XP may be able to go up...)

It's a good idea, and it may end up changing some details of the computer world, but even after a few years, I doubt it will have any significant effect on the balance of mac only/pc only users among Jeff's customers. And it's certainly not going to change any of the reasons Jeff prefers the mac programming environment. *shrug*

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #11
quote:
Originally written by Randomizer:

The games mentioned in the article like Flight Simulator wouldn't have pushed the system to a limit.
Yay! I'm a fanatic of Flight Simulaotr, and I play it now more than ever. I'll get an Intel Mac mini in about two monthes, so this will mean I can dump my PC and happily convert everything back to the Mac again! *smiles*

My original plan was to dump half of the PC and run Virtual PC for the smaller programs that require Windows.

For a summary: So this is still a beta, and the final version is to be released with Leopard. This means that you have Windows and Mac on your computer, enabling you to play the games that my heap of rust of a PC can nearly handle.

And again Apple gets a direct hit. Hooray.

[ Friday, April 07, 2006 05:20: Message edited by: Mc 'mini' Thralni ]

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #12
It is nefas that we can dual-boot OS X and XP but not OS X and OS 9.

Still, this probably means that, along with the next computer I buy (in two or three years), I'll purchase XP, although I won't use it very much.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Agent
Member # 6581
Profile Homepage #13
quote:
Originally written by Student of Trinity:

And in other news, IMAGE(http://www.stuttgarter-zeitung.de/media_fast/626/mac_mit_windows_1.jpg).
IMAGE(http://img116.imageshack.us/img116/5163/immagine13hy.th.jpg)

:confused:

[ Friday, April 07, 2006 07:37: Message edited by: MagmaDragoon ]

--------------------
Download Geneforge 4: Rebellion

You have 6 posts. Nobody cares what you think. - Thuryl

Wikipedia may be your friend, but UBB is not. - Dikiyoba
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #14
OS X on non-Mac Intel processors is a hack. It works, but it's not supported and I've never heard of it running everything very well. Remember that many computer users are apparently paralyzed at the sight of "OK / Cancel" choices. I think installation of pirated, hacked operating systems is unlikely to become widespread.

—Alorael, who isn't quite sure why he likes the idea of being able to dual boot so much. He dislikes Windows and doesn't really have any program he desperately needs to run that won't work in VPC and presumably better with Parallels. It's just a cool new Mac gizmo, really.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #15
The main choice is between Apple's dual-boot system, where you have to choose one OS at each start-up, and virtualization systems that let you run both OS at once (typically with some performance loss, but possibly not much). I happen to like OS X more than Windows XP, but it's possible that some day there will be a Windows-only program I really need, and then it will be nice to have the option. In that case I'll probably want to run that program plus all my usual Mac stuff, so I'll want a virtualized solution, not BootCamp. Unless I decide to get into making NWN modules or something.

I've already had the shock of seeing XP on my Apple cinema display, because a student plugged his Windows laptop into it last month to give a PowerPoint presentation.

What I like best is just the Mac interpretation of the Windows logo. That's so perfect.

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #16
quote:

In that case I'll probably want to run that program plus all my usual Mac stuff, so I'll want a virtualized solution, not BootCamp. Unless I decide to get into making NWN modules or something.
Mac users can't make NWN modules? I know there is a version of NWN for Macs. It makes very little sense that they did not port the development software as well.

--------------------
"You're drinking liquor because you're thirsty? How nasty is your freaking water?" —Lazarus
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #17
Sadly true. The game runs, but the Aurora engine was not ported.

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 1688
Profile #18
There is an open source port being worked on, however.
Warrior
Member # 6977
Profile #19
BLADE RUNNER

. . . Or, "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?"

Blade Runner is my favorite movie of all time, and the book's great, too. I simply cannot resist commenting on a reference to it (i.e., Electric Sheep).

[ Friday, April 07, 2006 18:06: Message edited by: Old Scratch ]

--------------------
Man may have been made in the image of God, but human society was made in the image of His opposite number, and is always trying to get back home.
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #20
quote:

The main choice is between Apple's dual-boot system, where you have to choose one OS at each start-up, and virtualization systems that let you run both OS at once (typically with some performance loss, but possibly not much).
1) You don't have to choose if youdon't want too. if you would like to run XP, just press option and wait untill you can choose, otherwise it will boot OS X automatically.

2)VPC is a good alternative, of course (certainly when you got it for free, like me), but its just not enough when running Flight Simulator 2004 (I think they even disabled the option to play games, but I'm not sure). The option one has at that point, is your very slow PC, or your Intel mac Mini with dual core processor. What would you pick?

3) I doubt that XP on a Mac is hacked. they share the same processor, so why would Xp not be able to run on an Intel Mac? heck, maybe a PC would even be able to run OS X, actually...

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Infiltrator
Member # 3040
Profile #21
quote:
Originally written by Mc 'mini' Thralni:

3) I doubt that XP on a Mac is hacked. they share the same processor, so why would Xp not be able to run on an Intel Mac? heck, maybe a PC would even be able to run OS X, actually...
quote:
Originally written by Alorael:

OS X on non-Mac Intel processors is a hack. It works, but it's not supported and I've never heard of it running everything very well.
"hack" was referring to OS X on computers not made by Apple. It makes perfect sense; Apple doesn't care if you run XP on Macs because they want to sell hardware, and OS X comes on those Macs by default anyway, so they're not losing any money. On the other hand, if people run OS X on a Dell, e.g., then they don't have to buy a Mac, only OS X, and Apple misses out on a lot of money.

--------------------
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #22
Woops, now I'm the one misreading your posts, Alorael. Sorry!

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Shock Trooper
Member # 3898
Profile #23
quote:
Originally written by Old Scratch:

BLADE RUNNER

. . . Or, "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?"

Blade Runner is my favorite movie of all time, and the book's great, too. I simply cannot resist commenting on a reference to it (i.e., Electric Sheep).

But where are monstars in dreams? (whether or not said dreams involve electric sheep.)

It's not the reference you think it is.

[ Sunday, April 09, 2006 04:04: Message edited by: Dallerdin with a custom moniker. ]

--------------------
~Note : The professional newbie's advice should not be taken seriously, or at all.~
LINKAGE
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #24
quote:
Originally written by The Beautiful Green Serpent:

3) At the moment, at least, it requires buying XP, a $60+ investment. (And depending on what Microsoft and/or its vendors think of the venture, the price on XP may be able to go up...
Thanks to a certain forum, I found a way around this. I';m sorry, but I can't tell anything about it.

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!

Pages