PDN?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: PDN?
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #0
Where did your online name come from?

Mine was just a random name I thought up a long time ago when I was starting a new game of Baldur's Gate.

Ever since, Tyranicus has been my name for every RPG and every online community.

--------------------
"You're drinking liquor because you're thirsty? How nasty is your freaking water?" —Lazarus
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #1
I came up with Arancaytar probably around 2001 or so. The name for my heroic alter ego (13 years old, you know how it is). In 2003, I needed an online name for a forum, and I used it. Then, I signed up an email address with that name as well (up to then I'd always used my real name), and some time later I used this name to sign up on Spiderweb. It's been my online handle ever since.

At the time, it didn't mean anything. In the meantime, I've found it means "first wanderer" in a language I made up later, "agitated room ripple jewel" in Novah, "walking mountain village" in yet another fantasy lingo and "king who lies (as in lying down, not telling lies)" in Quenya. It is also uncomfortably close to "Aaron Carter", whoever that is. Be assured that all of these things are coincidental.

"The Threadless Thread" is obviously a reference to the collection of Zen Koans by the monk Mumon, ie "The Gateless Gate". If someone finds their way to one of the old Geneforge forums, they will understand why I took it, too. :P

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #2
"Dikiyoba" was originally a stupid acronym that had something to do with dinosaurs. Dikiyoba has no idea what it stands for now. Dikiyoba now uses it for all online purposes. The name "Dikiyoba" also has the ability to mutate seemingly at random.
Agent
Member # 3349
Profile Homepage #3
I had Slasher as my first, just because I wasn't smart enough to think of anything else.

Then I had various "Holy Toenail" monikers (Toenail Returns, Holy Toenail 2.0, etc.) from a strange joke from my friend David Cameron

Then I had Happa Tai Yattai from a weird song by HappaTai.

Now I have Toenail and Matisyahu because I'd like to stay with a name that people can remember as I've been Toenail for a long time but I also like the artist Matisyahu so I combined the two.

--------------------
And everybody say....Yatta!
His Mighty Tentacle
Member # 627
Profile #4
I was endlessly amused by the description that Jeff had included about how Vlish don't taste good, because they were designed that way. What if Shapers created a delicious Vlish for a fine dining experience? Said Vlish, being a mind reader, would surely know it's fate and go rogue.

That, and I felt that the Vlish was a truly original creature.

In G1, people talked about Dryaks this, and Cryodryaks that, and I was sort of hung up on the Vlish. And then I found out how stupidly powerful they can be when leveled up and taken to the endgame. Terror Vlish especially. I was facinated with them.

--------------------
If I could make just one wish, I would want a tasty vlish.

Geneforge IV. Still no tasty vlish.
Infiltrator
Member # 6652
Profile #5
Guess. :D

I do have two other names I use for accounts for games or such. One is Last_Tonight, a delightfully chilling phrase that I found in a collection of both terrible and incredible fantasy stories.
The other is zam_bam, your typical on-the-spot random nonsense.

--------------------
But I don't want to ride the elevator.
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #6
Originally by Delicious Vlish:

quote:
In G1, people talked about Dryaks this, and Cryodryaks that, and I was sort of hung up on the Vlish. And then I found out how stupidly powerful they can be when leveled up and taken to the endgame. Terror Vlish especially. I was facinated with them.
Vlish are great. I create three or four regular vlish to take on 800 health Sholai in G1. It's great fun.

Dikiyoba.

Edit: Typo.

[ Sunday, March 26, 2006 13:00: Message edited by: Dikiyoba ]
Apprentice
Member # 6902
Profile #7
Generally, I am horrible at coming up with names. Pretty much all of the names I have used in the past on the internet were pretty bad.

When I registered for this forum, I tried using the method that so many other people here said they used the last time someone made one of these threads, of typing in random letters, then adding vowels in the right spots. That didn't give me anything I liked, so I just ran the NPPAngband random name generator until it gave me a name that I liked.
Lifecrafter
Member # 3171
Profile Homepage #8
Kingy. The most basic unorigional name someone can come up with. My last name is King, so my friends have called me Kingy since I was 8. What an interesting story.
His Mighty Tentacle
Member # 627
Profile #9
Vlish are friends, not food.

--------------------
If I could make just one wish, I would want a tasty vlish.

Geneforge IV. Still no tasty vlish.
Lifecrafter
Member # 6388
Profile #10
quote:
Originally written by Dikiyoba:

Originally by Delicious Vlish:

quote:
Vlish are great. I create three or four regular vlish to take on 800 health Sholai in G1. It's great fun.

Dikiyoba.

Edit: Typo.

Where is your gimmick now?

My current name is the product of a Desp meme. There has been some spillover onto SW, in the form of a failed contest.

[ Sunday, March 26, 2006 13:32: Message edited by: The Worst Man Ever ]
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #11
Ephesos is a name I came up with many, many years ago for a general "I need a name for this character" purpose. It has served throughout the Avernum series, and into most other games I play.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #12
Originally by The Worst Man Ever:

quote:
Where is your gimmick now?
quote:

Dikiyoba.
It is there and always was there. Dikiyoba's gimmick is using Dikiyoba's name instead of self-referential pronouns the entire final paragraph. In the above case, the entire final paragraph is just Dikiyoba's name.
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #13
My current PDN comes from an applet that Djur made that is designed to erase from the screen the contents of the posts of a certain member. Of course, it defaults to me, hence the name.

On another note, it seems my moniker is long due to be changed, but I'm too lazy now to think of another good one. I suppose you struggle with that too sometimes, Alo. :P

--------------------
-ben4808
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #14
Mine's Sindarin. What I want is a detailed explanation of every single PDN that Alorael has had.

--------------------
Remember kids: sniping and skribbane doesn't mix.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #15
I don't remember every PDN I've ever had. I lost about five in a horrific computer disaster of file corruption.

The rest I can explain, or I can at least make up plausible and entertaining lies.

—Alorael, who will admit that care and forethought go into some PDNs more than others.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Master
Member # 1046
Profile Homepage #16
Learning the hard way how not to behave at a message board (read: banned from ikonboard). It's still hard for me, today, to believe that the name stuck for all these years.

--------------------
Polaris - owns you.
Undead Theories - double U slash E
Infiltrator
Member # 3441
Profile Homepage #17
This particular name is a reference to the character Talon Karrde, a smuggler and information broker in several star wars novels

Also, what does PDN stand for? I'm assuming it means the same thing as moniker from the context.

[ Sunday, March 26, 2006 16:34: Message edited by: Smugglers' Alliance, Chief of the ]

--------------------
"As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it." --Albert Einstein
--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #18
Publically Displayed Name.

—Alorael, who thinks of Alorael as his moniker. It is his nom de plume/internet. His PDN is just what his name appears to be at any given moment.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 3441
Profile Homepage #19
OK, thanks

--------------------
"As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it." --Albert Einstein
--------------------
Lifecrafter
Member # 6193
Profile Homepage #20
I chose to rename myself Lazarus upon my return to Spidweb boards after a several month leave of absence. I only really use it on these forums.
My most common internet id is either FacelessMan, or my real name. The former is a reference to "A Song of Ice and Fire", and it later took on other interpretations. Strangely I never used it on these boards.

--------------------
Guaranteed to blow your mind.

Frostbite: Get It While It's...... Hot?
Shock Trooper
Member # 3377
Profile #21
It aided the rather silly entry post into my first RP on a different board. No reason to change it since then.
Infiltrator
Member # 2836
Profile #22
As I've said once on another topic like this, my name comes from a nickname my Year 4 teacher gave me.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #23
quote:
Originally written by Smugglers' Alliance, Chief of the:

This particular name is a reference to the character Talon Karrde, a smuggler and information broker in several star wars novels

Also, what does PDN stand for? I'm assuming it means the same thing as moniker from the context.

Wow, I haven't seen you here for quite some time. Must be, what, two years? o_O

Premonition: Incurable curiosity forces me to ask what the RP was about and why your entry post fit the "premonition" bit. Was it the name of your character?

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Infiltrator
Member # 1418
Profile Homepage #24
Awww, at first, I thought this topic was about me. :(

--------------------
Geneforge 2 Editor

Pages