Mmm, Saganaki... Flaming Karma

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Mmm, Saganaki... Flaming Karma
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #0
Karma, at the UBB, has always kind of amused me. I know better than to take it seriously -- but I do find it interesting to see what causes it to change. (i.e., what makes enough of an impression on people for them to rate you.)

When I first posted at Spidweb, it was only in the G3 and A4 forums, and so long as I remained there my karma sat at 5 stars (4.5 or higher average). I was helpful and I was accurate, so that's not surprising. It's also not surprising that it quickly dropped down to 4 stars when I began posting in General, and making comments more controversial than "the stick is the best melee weapon in A4."

Then it went back up to 5 stars, and sat there for a while. This happened almost immediately after I posted in the census topic. I hadn't said anything remotely interesting lately, and the only thing noticeable about my answers (in the context of spidweb, anyway) was being an open flame. That was vote #11, I believe, and took it from 4.45 to 4.50.

One vote, presumably a 1, sent it back down to 4.27. This happened immediately after I dared to urge caution in the early hours of Ashgate, rather than immediately tearing into Jeff. Yeah politics.

After the chats started, and once I began Slarty vs. Desk, another 3 votes sent it up to 4.40. I guess I made some friends. Given the, uh, content of the chats, this fits with the flaming cheese theme ;)

Now, one more vote finds me at 4.38... presumably triggered by my role (flaming cactus?) in TM's most recent departure.

I'm curious if anyone else has watched the rise and fall of their karma. Yeah, I know there is a stupid karma topic every month, and yes, I know Imban rates everyone who posts in it 1 star, but I can't help being analytically minded about these kind of irrelevant details. (It is, after all, what I received so much karmic approbation for in the other forums :P )

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Warrior
Member # 6629
Profile Homepage #1
Well, I watched mine as I posted in the last one, and it went from 2.04 to 2.04 with votes 5-7. I don't know what happened.

Otherwise, my karma has not been voted upon.

--------------------
"When everything is coming your way, you're in the wrong lane."
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #2
My karma may look like two stars, but it's actually only 1.71, and posting in karma topics rarely effects that anymore, as I'm sure Imban has used his one-star rating on me already. (along with the 70 or so others that felt the urge)

That said, no one is quite sure how karma works. There is certain evidence that votes from some people count for more than votes from other people or something like that, and for some reason my votes seem to not count at all, because I once rated an unrated member 5 star just because I though he was cool, and he then remained unrated.

However, when testing on a random unrated no-post account (actually I think it was a puppet account for ADoS that had a strategic member number) to see what transaction page it went into so I could use get variables to rate karma-turned-off members, my rating actually worked. However, I did not catch how the karma works, so I'm still stuck playing by the rules.

All that said, nobody really cares about karma. Basically it's just a personal way to say "I really hate that guy *rates 1 star* TAKE THAT HAHAHAHAHAHAHA".

--------------------
-ben4808
Infiltrator
Member # 5991
Profile Homepage #3
Mine ,was 5 when I first joined thanks to some mystery person.Then someone decided that was too generous and rated me a one and somehow I then ended at 2.

--------------------
George Bush is a Nazi - Eric Cartmen

I'm not as think you stoned I am
Visit the RIFQ Forums
Master
Member # 1046
Profile Homepage #4
I started with a 1, then went up to 3.57 :D

--------------------
Polaris - owns you.
Undead Theories - double U slash E
Too Sexy for my Title
Member # 5654
Profile #5
quote:
Originally written by the benalizer:

There is certain evidence that votes from some people count for more than votes from other people or something like that
That makes absolutely no sense. I know UBB sucks, but please. I would've guessed your rating had something to do with you being pro-Bush, but I could be wrong :P

As per my own Karma, I know I had a one star last summer, and suddenly it went up to two and then four where it remains. I lately realized how I got one vote and my Karma stayed the same. And today I had yet another one, and it increased by .10 or something. I’m surprised that no one, but Ados apparently, has tried to make an experiment about Karma. I’m surprised Aran hasn’t made one.

Edit: to the post below:
If that were true, then how would you get a rating in the first place?

[ Tuesday, March 21, 2006 19:32: Message edited by: Dominican Desire ]
Agent
Member # 4574
Profile #6
I have a theory that may explain the mysteries of karma, or atleast some. Perhaps whe you vote for RATE MEMBER it adds to the vote number but does nothing to the karma rating.

--------------------
Constitutional monarchies are the in monarchies.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #7
The UBB uses an algorithm far more sophisticated than equal weight to evaluate karma. I wouldn't be surprised if vote weight were a function of member number. It makes as much sense as the rest of the UBB.

—Alorael, who holds the distinction of the most karma votes. When you post a lot, apparently people find something that moves them somewhere.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #8
With only 4 votes affecting my Karma it seems to be a random distribution. I have no way of knowing what got me even that much. It seems that most people ignore voting and the results.
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #9
I have yet to find the spiteful person(s) who bumped me down from 5 stars. Imban was probably one of them.

But then again, I hardly ever rate people. The people I end up rating tend to get banned or shunned very quickly...

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #10
quote:
Originally written by Slartucker:

One vote, presumably a 1, sent it back down to 4.27. This happened immediately after I dared to urge caution in the early hours of Ashgate, rather than immediately tearing into Jeff. Yeah politics.
Oh yeah, I forgot about that.

*votes* :P

--------------------
SupaNik: Aran, you're not big enough to threaten Ash. Dammit, even JV had to think twice.
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #11
I used to have four stars. I have three now, I think.

I just want to make a visible difference to peoples karma. :P

--------------------
I'll put a Spring in your step.
:ph34r:
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #12
I once had two stars and was quite proud of it. But alas, my rating somehow has improved.

--------------------
The Knight Between Posts.
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #13
Because, IIRC, you started a topic in which you asked people to vote you one star. It would have been more productive if you asked for them to vote you five stars.

EDIT: I gave you five stars. :P

[ Tuesday, March 21, 2006 22:19: Message edited by: Spring ]

--------------------
I'll put a Spring in your step.
:ph34r:
Shock Trooper
Member # 6666
Profile #14
For my first ten posts or so I stayed in the BoA and BoA editor forums, during which I got no ratings. After this, I started posting on general. The results are visible to the left. I believe I got most of my votes from early Ed sympathizers and from posting in the previous karma topic. Anyway, the moral of the story is: if your karma matters to you, stay out of general.

Edit: Sig test, sig test.

[ Wednesday, March 22, 2006 10:43: Message edited by: Redstart ]
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #15
Interesting... I expected another few votes to come from posting this topic, probably along with sarcastic comments. I now have eight additional votes, bringing my score from 4.38 to 4.05.

The amazing thing is that, despite all the meaninglessness and pettiness, karma still manages to be less meaningless and less petty than ebay feedback...

Edit: Also, what is the "evidence" that votes from some users count more than others?

[ Wednesday, March 22, 2006 03:45: Message edited by: Slartucker ]

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Agent
Member # 6581
Profile Homepage #16
quote:
Originally written by Slartucker:
After the chats started, and once I began Slarty vs. Desk, another 3 votes sent it up to 4.40. I guess I made some friends.
IMAGE(http://fantafaccia.altervista.org/F/Sorriso/F_Sor068.gif)

I don't care how much Karma I have. When I was a newbie, I was wondering only in GF Boards and I had 4 stars. After my first entrance in General, I got three with 3 votes. Now I'm STLL 3, with 8 votes. :)

Anyway, remember that Imbam give one star for the ones that posts in Karma Topics. :P

--------------------
Download Geneforge 4: Rebellion

You have 6 posts. Nobody cares what you think. - Thuryl

Wikipedia may be your friend, but UBB is not. - Dikiyoba
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #17
Slarty, I still refuse to vote for you. And you know why. As for the rest of you, aside from mini-Bush, what have you done that would prompt this dial-up user to act in a karmic fashion?

Remember, "voting" for Alo is like voting for oxygen...

Oh. Topically, I checked and my karmic function resides right around 4.00, with 22 people registering some surprise at my presence. Go figure, maybe I need to start gay-bashing or TM-hating to push up the population size of my sample.

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

Infiltrator
Member # 5410
Profile #18
Really, what does it matter what your karma is? Without knowing who voted for you andor why you have little/no control over altering it.

Now, it could be useful to use Karma to determine whether people goet banned/canned/otherwise disciplined.

Personally, I spam everyone an automatic one star because I am old, I am tired, I am bitter.

--------------------
"Dikiyoba ... is demon ... drives people mad and ... do all sorts of strange things."

"You Spiderwebbians are mad, mad, mad as March hares."
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #19
quote:
Originally written by the fatman:

Personally, I spam everyone an automatic one star because I am old, I am tired, I am bitter.
Your still polite enough to tell us.

(Okay, I just wanted my one star vote...)

Karma - pffft. This is just a way of telling good-looking members that you like them, or, if you aren't vocal about your votes, then it's a way of stalking somebody...

--------------------
And when you want to Live
How do you start?
Where do you go?
Who do you need to know?

*Name by Slarty, so blame him if it's filthy...
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #20
Since I look at my number of karma votes every day in passing while changing my PDN, I noticed that I have one more. I'll assume that it's from Fartman. It didn't actually change my karma, however.

This means one of two things: either he didn't vote one star or I've finally hit the threshold where votes no longer make any difference.

—Alorael, who is actually rather excited about it.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #21
During the course of posting in this topic, I went up to 4 stars, then back to three. I think I'm just kind of hovering around 3.5... oh well.

Karma topics are weird, but they always come back.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #22
I have 212 votes and a 4.45 average. I've had a 4.45 average for about two years.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #23
Finally Drakey replies to a karma thread.

Revenge is mine!

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

Shock Trooper
Member # 3377
Profile #24
quote:
Originally written by AlO RLY?:

The UBB uses an algorithm far more sophisticated than equal weight to evaluate karma. I wouldn't be surprised if vote weight were a function of member number. It makes as much sense as the rest of the UBB.
Really? But my karma works out pretty well as an equal weight thing. I know exactly how much each vote counted for - of course, I don't have that many votes, so it's a little easier to do the maths.

Pages