Forums = Geneforge

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Forums = Geneforge
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #0
Geneforge 2 and Geneforge 3 are sometimes accused of photocopying the plot of Geneforge 1. Well, it turns out that they are not the only blatant copies of that story... the Spiderweb Forums also ripped it off!

The powerful civilization of the Shapers (Jeff Vogel) had developed the magical ability of shaping creatures (the Exile trilogy). Legions of fawning serviles (fans) were created to serve them. The Shapers prospered.

One of their most ambitious projects was the Geneforge (Blades of Exile), which enabled anyone, even a servile, to use Shaper magic and even to shape their own creatures (scenarios). But the Geneforge was dangerous. It did not always work as expected (bugs) and caused insanity (inexplicable, bizarre bugs). The Shapers had moved onto other projects (Avernum) and decided to leave the Geneforge behind on Sucia Isle (the forums). They also left a number of serviles behind, with little support from their masters.

Eventually, some of the serviles grew bitter and resentful of the Geneforge's creators, who had abandoned them and had not treated them as equals. The Obeyers, serviles who still held the word of the Shapers as gold, would have pointed out that they weren't equals -- the Shapers had created the Geneforge, whereas they could only use it.

One day a servile said he was taking back his freedom, and he was struck down (banned) by guards (mods). Thus the Takers (the Jeff haters) were born. The Takers flourished under the leadership of some warped drayks (TM, Alec, Djur, and so on) who loved to incite violence. Their hatred of the Shapers grew ever stronger and less rational.

Not all of the serviles hated the Shapers. The Awakened delighted in the use of servile magic, but still thought that the Shapers might be friends; their leader was Ellhrah (Drakefyre). The Obeyers, however, did not last -- they were slaughtered (flamed out of existence) by the Takers.

When the Shapers again came into contact with Sucia Isle, it was not surprising that a violent conflict broke out...

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #1
Dialogue Options:

1. Either you've been smoking something illegal, or your dreams are pretty damn weird, and possibly affected by your cheese intake.

That said, it's kinda true... The only thing missing are my dialogue options asking for more healing pods.

2. Nah, you're crazy. And know too much... (Set your Cryoa on Slarty)

Ahem. My mouse button is dangerously close to number two...

--------------------
And when you want to Live
How do you start?
Where do you go?
Who do you need to know?

Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #2
Don't make Learned Slarty go all Yoda on you :P
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #3
I repeatedly clicked option 2...

COMBAT!
Starting new round:
Now active: Cryoa.
Croya bites Slarty for 40hp.
Now active: Slarty.
Slarty flees, waving his arms above his head, and whimpering something about leaving the tap running in his kitchen...
Now active: Nikki.
You wait.
Starting new round:
Now active: Cryoa.
End Combat.

Damn! No experience!

[ Tuesday, March 07, 2006 11:39: Message edited by: Nikki xx ]

--------------------
And when you want to Live
How do you start?
Where do you go?
Who do you need to know?

Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #4
He that slarts and gets away, lives to slart another day.
Skip to My Lou
Member # 40
Profile Homepage #5
Is it just me, or have the boards gone from "insane" to "a major acid trip while at the drunken circus"?

--------------------
Take the Personality Test!
Deep down, you wish you were a stick figure.
BANNED
Member # 6655
Profile #6
This topic dies, now.
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #7
Not at all. I think he's onto something. Why, I can feel a sort of ontological imperative calling the Obeyers back into existence, to complete the necessary triad, and balance out those ridiculously self-important Takers.

Or maybe he's just on something. Whatever.

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #8
While it is true he is on something, it also seems he is onto something. What is really weird is that the Takers and Obeyers seem to be creating an alliance when one should expect their mutual destruction. Odd. I must meditate on this.

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

BANNED
Member # 6655
Profile #9
Yes, you two are right. I also think something weird's going on, best keep an eye on this topic for the time being.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #10
Ed, you're missing the forest for the trees. This specific thread of a tree. This just may be the conspiracy of conspiracies!

—Alorael, who is willing to be an Obeyer for the sake of argument. He's always fancied himself a blind follower. The only question now is whether RW can be supplanted in his affections by Jeff Vogel. Where is RW in this forum cosmology, anyway?
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #11
Brilliant, Slarty.

I'm waiting to find out where skribbane, the Giant Intelligent Friendly Talking Spiders, the Sanity Jar, and the Fluffy Turtles fit into the equation.

--------------------
I recommend a sprig of parsley in your Sanity Jar to keep the contents relatively fresh.
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #12
Clearly, RW is represented by the Minotaurs.

Skribbane would be the canisters, which possibly makes Alorael Barzahl, which is hillarious.

-- Learned Slarty
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #13
Okay, follow closely.

(Jeff abandoned BOE) = (The Shapers abandoned the Geneforge).

(RW is an outsider who sojourned in Spiderweb Software for a while.) = (The Sholai are outsiders who encounter the Shapers.)

These are two clear parallels, to be accepted as facts. But then we have two reciprocally incomplete parallels:

(Jeff abandoned BOE for Avernum, BOA, and Geneforge.) = (We don't really know what the Shapers did instead of pursuing Danette's vision, except sit around being control freaks.)

(We don't know why RW dropped out of sight.) = (Trajkov tried to complete the Geneforge, but was destroyed by a loyal Shaper.)

Therefore, applying the Conspiracy Theorist's Axiom (also called the Roger Penrose Axiom) that any two mysteries must explain each other, we discover two shocking revelations:

1) The Shaper Council has its own geneforge, enormous underground prison, and isometric game engine.

2) Richard White debugged BOE and was sniped by Alorael to preserve Jeff's secrets.

Remember, you read them here first. But 'here' should really be moved to RWG, which should be moved to the bottom of the list of boards.

[ Tuesday, March 07, 2006 14:18: Message edited by: Student of Trinity ]

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Infiltrator
Member # 4256
Profile #14
quote:
Originally written by Student of Trinity:

2) Richard White debugged BOE and was sniped by Alorael to preserve Jeff's secrets.

But he is risen. He must have. Again. And the truth will set us free!

--------------------
"Let's just say that if complete and utter chaos was lightning, he'd be the sort to stand on a hilltop in a thunderstorm wearing wet copper armour and shouting 'All gods are false'."
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #15
Richard White did not debug BoE.

—Alorael, who views the statement to which he is responding as a loaded statement.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Agent
Member # 4574
Profile #16
So then, the newbs are shaper students? And the wanderers are townspeople? What does that make us regular folks?

--------------------
Constitutional monarchies are the in monarchies.
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #17
We're serviles.

Dikiyoba would like to think of Dikiyoba as Learned Darian, but perhaps Phariton is the better answer.
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #18
I don't think anyone here could really fit as Learned Darian. Perhaps Arancaytar, if anyone, but even that is a stretch.

I can see Dikiyoba as Phariton. And likewise I can see myself as Aodare.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #19
quote:
Originally written by Divino Tesoro:

Richard White did not debug BoE.
I notice that you do not deny sniping RW. How culd you do that, Alorael?! :P

--------------------
"You're drinking liquor because you're thirsty? How nasty is your freaking water?" —Lazarus
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Apprentice
Member # 4231
Profile #20
I'm going to have to agree with Archmage Alex.

Of course, that's half of why I love this forum.

--------------------
Lifetime Spiderweb Gamer
and Fan of Classic Style Graphics
Infiltrator
Member # 3220
Profile #21
Dude, this is just...dude.

I got nothing. But Slarty is a genius.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #22
quote:
Originally written by Slartucker:

I don't think anyone here could really fit as Learned Darian. Perhaps Arancaytar, if anyone, but even that is a stretch.

Which game did he come from? I didn't finish any of the Geneforges, and I never met Darian.

It's just that I always like to know who I'm characterized as. :P

--

Edit: Yet another parallel between Geneforge and the board. TM wants it to die.

[ Tuesday, March 07, 2006 22:19: Message edited by: When in the course of Nathan Ashby ]

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #23
I am a Mind.

--------------------
I'll put a Spring in your step.
:ph34r:
Too Sexy for my Title
Member # 5654
Profile #24
quote:
Originally written by When in the course of Nathan Ashby:

quote:
Originally written by Slartucker:

Which game did he come from? I didn't finish any of the Geneforges, and I never met Darian.

It's just that I always like to know who I'm characterized as. :P

--

Edit: Yet another parallel between Geneforge and the board. TM wants it to die.

Phariton is the crazy shaper from GF2. He is all the way in bottom, a little bit to the lower right (I think). And Darian is the dude that puts a good word for you so that you can join any sect. He is in GF2 I believe

Pages