Ideas Refreshment

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Ideas Refreshment
Shock Trooper
Member # 6821
Profile #25
quote:
Originally written by PublicDiplomat:

As long as I have been playing Spidweb games, their storylines are pretty much the same and identical.

I strongly disagree. The Exile and Avernum plots are pretty much the same because Avernum is a remake of Exile, but Avernum/Geneforge/Nethergate/Homeland have very different plots. And I think each game in the Avernum/Geneforge series has its own storyline (especially Avernum).

EDIT : And yes, I left my sanity at the door long ago. ;)

[ Wednesday, February 22, 2006 00:00: Message edited by: The Lurker ]
Posts: 363 | Registered: Wednesday, February 22 2006 08:00
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #26
Each series has a different plot, but each plot in the series becomes similiar after the series is used several times.

Dikiyoba.

Edit: Fixed typo.

[ Wednesday, February 22, 2006 11:12: Message edited by: Dikiyoba ]
BANNED
Member # 6554
Profile #27
yeah i gets a litttle boring after a while

--------------------
join me!
we shall harness the power of geckos, bunnys, and fluffy pink stuffed animals and rule the world!!!
Posts: 193 | Registered: Wednesday, December 14 2005 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #28
quote:
Originally written by arghhhhhhhhh:

yeah i gets a litttle boring after a while
I concur. :D

But seriously, I think it's somewhat natural for the parts of a larger series to have somewhat similar plots. The one time I disliked this in Avernum was in the transition from A3 to 4. While 4 had its merits (and its fair share of pitfalls, I know), it was really rather similar to A3 in the early stages. Fortunately, I still think it was an overall improvement (the margin of improvement is debatable).

[ Wednesday, February 22, 2006 18:28: Message edited by: Ephesos ]

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Shock Trooper
Member # 6821
Profile #29
quote:
Originally written by Dikiyoba:

Each series has a different plot, but each plot in the series becomes similiar after the series is used several times.

Dikiyoba.

Avernum : -Serve the king and do the royal quests.
-Find the exit to the surface.
-Kill the empire leader.

Avernum 2 : -Find 3 lost crystals souls.
-Deactivate the empire portal.
-Kill Garzahd.

Avernum 3 : - Stop the plagues, find out who is guilty and attempt to take care of that person.

No plot similarity there, in my opinion.

Geneforge : -Find a boat, escape the island and, if possible, do something for or against Trajkov.

Geneforge 2 : Remote valley with 5 factions. Decide who you will help.

Geneforge 3 : War between Creations and Shapers. Again, you have to decide who you should help... But the overall plot is in my opinion quite different from Geneforge 2.

Although I'll admit that there is always a Creation/shaper conflict, but that's part of the Geneforge world, isn't it?
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #30
Avernum 4 and Avernum 3 have very similar plots, though.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 6821
Profile #31
quote:
Originally written by Drakefyre:

Avernum 4 and Avernum 3 have very similar plots, though.
Well, we'll see... I have yet to buy Avernum 4, I'm a windows user... (In fact, I have yet to buy the whole Avernum Trilogy. I thought the demos were too difficult when I first played them, so I read the walkthrough and ending threads because I wanted to know what the ending was like... ;) I did buy Blades of Avernum, though, and I intend to buy Avernum 1;2;3;4 once Avernum 4 is out for Windows).
BANNED
Member # 6554
Profile #32
avernum 4 sucked.
i like 3 and 2 best.

--------------------
join me!
we shall harness the power of geckos, bunnys, and fluffy pink stuffed animals and rule the world!!!
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #33
quote:
Originally written by arghhhhhhhhh:

avernum 4 sucked.
i like 3 and 2 best.

Why do you have Avernum 4 listed as your favorite game in your profile then? :P

--------------------
"You're drinking liquor because you're thirsty? How nasty is your freaking water?" —Lazarus
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #34
quote:
Originally written by The Lurker:

-Kill the empire leader.

-Kill Garzahd.

Avernum 3 : - Stop the plagues, find out who is guilty and attempt to take care of that person.

Geneforge : -Find a boat, escape the island and, if possible, do something for or against Trajkov.

Geneforge 3 : War between Creations and Shapers. Again, you have to decide who you should help... But the overall plot is in my opinion quite different from Geneforge 2.

Although I'll admit that there is always a Creation/shaper conflict, but that's part of the Geneforge world, isn't it?

If the world was more intelligent than this, JV would be bankrupt by now.

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Infiltrator
Member # 5991
Profile Homepage #35
You've got a good point there Tyranicus and I don't think arghhhhhhhhh's post was even spam!!!

[ Sunday, February 26, 2006 18:06: Message edited by: The Kraken ]

--------------------
George Bush is a Nazi - Eric Cartmen

I'm not as think you stoned I am
Visit the RIFQ Forums
BANNED
Member # 6554
Profile #36
quote:
Why do you have Avernum 4 listed as your favorite game in your profile then?
you can see my profile and name and email adress?

--------------------
join me!
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #37
We can see your profile. If your name is in it, we can see that too. You set your email to be invisible so we can't see it.

—Alorael, who is glad to know that your stated preferences now reflect your profile preferences.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #38
I wonder if his favorite city in Exile is Barghhhhhhhhha?

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #39
arghhhhhhhhh probably set his favorite game to A4 right after he bought that game and forgot to change it.

Dikiyoba.
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #40
quote:

quote:

Dikiyoba.

If you look at the big picture, instead of minor details like character and city names, plot of Geneforge 1/2/3 looks like this:

You are a shaper apprentice whose boat/teacher/school was destroyed, leaving you trapped on an island/valley/island chain, where you are greatly surprized to encounter rogue creations, the canisters and intelligent serviles. You have to chose which faction to join and under guidance of that faction's leader learn about Geneforge and have to decide whether to destroy it or help complete / use it. You have an option to leave early, but that will give you the "world is destroyed by massive war" ending.

So while I agree that each of the Exile games had an original plot, as did Nethergate and Geneforge, I don't think Jeff had written a new plot since Geneforge 1. And from what I've heard of A4 (no spoilers please) it's just a repeat of A3, similar to how Gf 3 is a repeat of Gf2, is a repeat of Gf 1.

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #41
To be fair, the details at the END of each GF game are significantly different. Unfortunately, these details are at the VERY end. They have no impact on 90% of the game.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 6821
Profile #42
quote:
Originally written by Zeviz:

quote:

quote:

Dikiyoba.

If you look at the big picture, instead of minor details like character and city names, plot of Geneforge 1/2/3 looks like this:

You are a shaper apprentice whose boat/teacher/school was destroyed, leaving you trapped on an island/valley/island chain, where you are greatly surprized to encounter rogue creations, the canisters and intelligent serviles. You have to chose which faction to join and under guidance of that faction's leader learn about Geneforge and have to decide whether to destroy it or help complete / use it. You have an option to leave early, but that will give you the "world is destroyed by massive war" ending.

So while I agree that each of the Exile games had an original plot, as did Nethergate and Geneforge, I don't think Jeff had written a new plot since Geneforge 1. And from what I've heard of A4 (no spoilers please) it's just a repeat of A3, similar to how Gf 3 is a repeat of Gf2, is a repeat of Gf 1.

You do have a point there, Zeviz. I just didn't see it that way... Then again, if the big picture changed too much, it wouldn't really be the same series, would it? Jeff might as well start making new series.

Oh wait - maybe that's what a lot of Spidwebbers want. Not that I would be against it, I just think a universe with potential shouldn't be terminated too early.

Terror's Martyr : So, erm, enjoying something 'rehashed' (at least in your opinion) is bad, then?
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #43
A sequel should be a continuation of the story, not the same story all over again. Why even play Geneforge 2 if it's the same as playing Geneforge 1 again?

--------------------
SupaNik: Aran, you're not big enough to threaten Ash. Dammit, even JV had to think twice.
Lifecrafter
Member # 6403
Profile #44
quote:

-Kill the empire leader.

-Kill Garzahd.

Since you force me to:
quote:
Originally written by Prometheus:

Avernum 1's plot: "Empire is evil. Kill demons. Kill emperor. Leave."

Avernum 2's plot: "Empire is evil-er. Meet the Walking McGuffins. Retrieve the Non-Walking McGuffins. Blow up portal. Kill demon-emperor."

Avernum 3's plot: "Empire is good-er. McGuffins are evil. McGuffins make plague. Kill plagues. Kill Queen McGuffin."

Avernum 4's plot: "McGuffins are evil-er. McGuffins make plagues again. Kill plagues again. Kill Queen McGuffin again. Kill Queen McGuffin again-again."

--------------------
??? ??????
???? ?????
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #45
Gah. It pained me enough to see the term "McGuffin" so horribly misused once, but why must you propogate it?

--------------------
SupaNik: Aran, you're not big enough to threaten Ash. Dammit, even JV had to think twice.
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #46
If you look at the big picture, instead of minor details, the plot of most games looks like this:

You are a person who has to do some stuff. You have options that lead to bad endings.

It's always the same, for crying out loud. Why can't we get more creative?

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #47
quote:
Originally written by Student of Trinity:

If you look at the big picture, instead of minor details, the plot of most games looks like this:

You are a person who has to do some stuff. You have options that lead to bad endings.

It's always the same, for crying out loud. Why can't we get more creative?

Heh. Five of my six scenarios don't fit into that mold. So I'm going to agree here. :)

--------------------
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #48
If you look at the big picture, the plot of all RPGs is "You control a character, which does stuff." :) This covers even Creator's scenarios. :P

My point was that while each Avernum plot was described by a different sentence, all 3 Geneforge plots could be described by the same detailed paragraph, replacing only a few words like island/valley/island chain. Avernums 1 and 2 tell different stories in a same setting (Avernum cave system), while Geneforge 1 and 2 use different settings for the same story (a young shaper discovering and interacting with the two kinds of intelligent serviles and the secrets of Geneforge, possibly joining one of 4 sects).

The similarities of Avernum series aren't a problem, because common setting is fine (or even good) as long as stories are different. The similarities of Geneforge series are a problem, because old story with a new setting isn't a reason to replay the game (unless gameplay is completely different as well). I did enjoy both Gf1 and Gf2, but by the middle of Gf3 I was tired of going through the same story over, and over, and over.

[ Tuesday, February 28, 2006 14:07: Message edited by: Zeviz ]

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #49
quote:
Originally written by Zeviz:

If you look at the big picture, the plot of all RPGs is "You control a character, which does stuff." :) This covers even Creator's scenarios. :P
Except for Ugantan Nightmare and To Live in Fear. :)

--------------------

Pages