Ideas Refreshment

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Ideas Refreshment
Apprentice
Member # 6808
Profile #0
As long as I have been playing Spidweb games, their storylines are pretty much the same and identical.
Therefore I think us, the customers should contribute good storyline ideas, cause as it is quite clear, they make good looking games, which unfortunately lack thrilling and adrenalizing storylines.

[ Sunday, February 19, 2006 05:15: Message edited by: PublicDiplomat ]
Apprentice
Member # 6808
Profile #1
... robots are closing in. What did men thought when they created them with their own hands? Your commander beside you is running low on ammo and your squadron in downtown is under barrage fire.
A shrapnel shoots 2 inches close by your head. Men are falling everywhere, some missing their limbs. Next second, you see your commander get shot and captain runs over to you and says: "Are you up for the job? We have only one chance to fend these robots, and its this device, you strap it onto your arm and press button. Now jump, quickly into that teleporter before they blow it up and then we are all doomed!"
You have no idea, what the device is supposed to do, but you take it and just in a minute, the gateway blew into smithereens. Glad you jumped in first.
But... holy ****, what the... place is this? You discover... a sheep herder nearby... basic tools and people working on crop fields.
You ask neares person for newspaper. He replies:
"What is newspaper?"....

Guess the timejump didnt go so well.
With your device, half low on battery, strange black army clothes, harnesses and Pulse rifle with couple of shots remaining, you set off to the nearest village where those workers directed you. Hopefully youre still in United States.

This is your adventure, adventure in old times, with new tech. You venture through tough lands and mountains, finding ways to survive and recreating technology history to get back home.
Warrior
Member # 6689
Profile #2
...You begin to hear a motor from a distance. At first you take no notice of it and continue to listen to the Doc's explanation of his latest invention. Then, you see the source of the sound: An old large microbus with baggage and two men loaded on the top. You hear howls from within the van as it approaches the parking lot currently occupied by you and the Doc. Doc turns to you and murmurs "Libyans! Run!" As you stand there, confused, the VW pulls up right in front of Doc, and one of the men on top pulls out an AK-74 and opens fire on Doc. You see him take a few bullets to the chest before your petrified legs unstick. You dive away from your DeLorian and behind the truck full of equipment that Doc drove over in. You hear more gunshots and see puffs of asphalt where you were just standing. You hear shouts in a foreign language from the VW as the motor revs. You start running away from your two vehicles but the VW is already on the other side of the truck, waiting for you. You dive under the truck again, confident that the gunshots you heard missed you. You hollar at Doc, but get no reply. Thinking fast, you jump into the Dolorian and start driving. The Libyans give chase and after leading them around the parking lot once, you remember. Doc had just shown you how this time machine works! You turn on the flux capacitor and even out the DeLorian for a drive diagonally across the parking lot. You put the pedal to the metal, hoping you can drive in a straight line for long enough without being shot. Halfway across the parking lot, the spedometer hits 88mph. There is a flash of light.... And you find yourself elsewhere.

[ Sunday, February 19, 2006 19:05: Message edited by: Semodius ]

--------------------
--Dachnaz
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #3
It's a DeLorean.

Everyone has ideas for how to make a good game. Just look at Blades forums to see how many people would love to design a game as long as someone else will do the implementation for them. Ultimately, nobody really wants to make someone else's world unless that someone is paying for it.

Furthermore, because of problems with legal rights, Jeff actually can't use any idea submitted to him by someone else. If you really want to make sure that an idea isn't used, this is the best way to do it.

—Alorael, who is sure someone is wishing he'd thought of emailing Jeff the plot of A4 before A4 was made.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #4
Heh. Very nice Alo.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #5
Oh boy! Let's come up with plot ideas!

In Avernum 5, the vahnatai should create monster plagues for both Avernum and the Empire at the same time. In Geneforge 4, the PC should be a drakon.

Please, Jeff, please?

Now that those disasters have been averted, Dikiyoba can breathe a sigh of relief. Oh, and nobody saw anything about giant spiders or arachnid shaping in the Geneforge forum. In fact, nobody has even used the words shaping and arachnid together.
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #6
quote:
Originally written by 7 per day keep the doctor away.:

It's a DeLorean.

Everyone has ideas for how to make a good game. Just look at Blades forums to see how many people would love to design a game as long as someone else will do the implementation for them. Ultimately, nobody really wants to make someone else's world unless that someone is paying for it.

Look at BoE to see how motivated some people will get, to the point where they actually will make their own stuff.

In fact, screw this. To anyone in this thread- get BoE.

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #7
TM, how many people make BoE scenarios? A lot. How many have tried to come up with partnerships where they come up with the plot and someone else does the work of actually turning it into a scenario? Also a lot.

How many people have taken the chance to make someone else's scenario? I can't think of any.

—Alorael, who could only see that happening if the plot were a broad outline rather than specifics and if it were stated in the form of a contest. Like a contest to make saving the world from vahnatai monster plagues actually interesting!
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #8
In keeping with the spirit of bad ideas, how's this sound: In Avernum 5, instead of playing with humans, nephilim, and sliths, you can choose between Giant Intelligent Friendly Talking Spiders, Giant Intelligent Friendly Talking Cockroaches, and Giant Intelligent Friendly Talking Chitrachs.

The sad thing is, I only made up one race. GIFTSs were tolerable, but the GIFTCs were beyond the pale.

--------------------
Somebody get the Giant Intelligent Friendly Talking Spider Repellant!
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #9
I'm sure Jeff would look at A5 plot ideas if E-mailed to him...

--------------------
-ben4808
Agent
Member # 5814
Profile #10
quote:
Originally written by Dikiyoba:

Oh boy! Let's come up with plot ideas!
This is the best idea in the thread. Alright everyone, come up with the most predictable, tried plot you can for A5/G4. Monster plagues, spawners, undead lords; spam JV for all you can! With hope and luck, he'll be prevented from creating the pathetic plot he so desperately wants to use.

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon
Well, I'm at least pretty

Warrior
Member # 6689
Profile #11
quote:
Originally written by 7 per day keep the doctor away.:

It's a DeLorean.

Furthermore, because of problems with legal rights, Jeff actually can't use any idea submitted to him by someone else. If you really want to make sure that an idea isn't used, this is the best way to do it.

—Alorael, who is sure someone is wishing he'd thought of emailing Jeff the plot of A4 before A4 was made.

Thank you for the correction. =) I'd love a DeLorean for myself just for the doors. =) But yeah, Jeff can use anything he sees or hears on this board because he can always delete it, eliminating proof that someone else ever actually said it. He could probably get away with using it even if he never erased it because he does own the boards. But I'm no lawyer. He can use any story from someone else he wants, or a reference at least, as long as he cites his sources, without plagiarising. Plagiarism is only illegal in the academic world anyhow, not under United States law.

--------------------
--Dachnaz
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #12
quote:
Originally written by Semodius:

Plagiarism is only illegal in the academic world anyhow, not under United States law.
Not quite true; under the terms of the Berne Convention any written work by someone is automatically copyrighted unless its author explicitly releases it into the public domain, so plagiarism is a form of copyright infringement.

On the other hand, for that kind of claim to hold up in court, the "borrowed" material would need to be something more substantial than one or two broad ideas and themes.

[ Sunday, February 19, 2006 19:34: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #13
And I suppose one could almost make the claim that these boards are "public domain."

Dikiyoba.
Agent
Member # 5814
Profile #14
It's not about plagarism and legallity, it's about the fact that Jeff (as far as I've heard, which is admittedly not so substantial) refuses to use plots sent to him.

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon
Well, I'm at least pretty

Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #15
It's still a liability issue. Many authors get sued over taking ideas without giving credit or permutations thereof. Even though the authors win, it's an expensive proposition and nobody wants to get involved.

Jeff, who is very much about making money without getting sued, would not like your suggestions.

—Alorael, who wouldn't actually try emailing bad suggestions. While Jeff might not use them, he very well might take them as encouragement to use their spiritual brethren. That would be unpleasant. Things can be much, much worse than A4.
Warrior
Member # 6689
Profile #16
Well, in that case... Jeff, why don't you make a Geneforge 4?!!

--------------------
--Dachnaz
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #17
You cannot copyright anything that is mind-numbingly obvious.

In fact, you probably wouldn't get anywhere by emailing Jeff vague suggestions like "Use spawners!" or "More monster plagues!" Saying that Rentar-Ihrno should launch a plague of robotic chitrachs against the surface and General Baziron should get the party to retrieve the seventeen crystals of Thralni's stepdaughter would probably work, though, but it wouldn't prevent Commander Johnson from sending you out to retrieve the fourteen mystical leaves of Aydin's cousin to save the world from Rentar-Ihrno's plague of golem-hydras.

—Alorael, who speaks from bitter experience about copyrighting the obvious.
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #18
That's intriguing. What obvious thing did you try to copyright?

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
BANNED
Member # 6554
Profile #19
NEVER COPYRIGHT

my creepy words of advice

--------------------
join me!
we shall harness the power of geckos, bunnys, and fluffy pink stuffed animals and rule the world!!!
Posts: 193 | Registered: Wednesday, December 14 2005 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #20
I'll take that under advisement, arghhhhhhhhh.

—Alorael, who took the idea that most conversation is made up of the same elements and tried to copyright all those elements so that he would make money from all written communication. He was turned down, and the rejection used no fewer than 17 of his copyrighted phrases.
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #21
However, if I was to E-mail Jeff an idea, he was to actually like it (unlikely), and I said I didn't want any credit, he could just delete the E-mail, make the game, and call it another ingenious creation of his intelligent mind. :)

--------------------
-ben4808
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #22
quote:
Originally written by ben12C8:

However, if I was to E-mail Jeff an idea, he was to actually like it (unlikely), and I said I didn't want any credit, he could just delete the E-mail, make the game, and call it another ingenious creation of his intelligent mind. :)
Assuming he trusts you not to be an ass and later claim you did want credit but he stole from you. Undocumented arrangements are notoriously unreliable...

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Apprentice
Member # 6808
Profile #23
Well, some new ideas would definetly give Spidweb games higher ratings.
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #24
quote:
Originally written by PublicDiplomat:

Well, some new ideas would definetly give Spidweb games higher ratings.
Thus why BoE is awesome.

--------------------
SupaNik: Aran, you're not big enough to threaten Ash. Dammit, even JV had to think twice.

Pages