SupaNik, will you be my valentine?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: SupaNik, will you be my valentine?
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #50
quote:
Originally written by Selima:

...but hey give me a hot attractive intelligent funny and lovely guy and you got me hook.
Sure, that's what they all say...

In my experience, intelligence and sense of humor never seem to factor into the equation, otherwise I'd have had much better luck with relationships in the past. Yay for double talk and double standards!

(And to pre-emptively dodge a bullet, I agree that many guys do the same thing to girls... I think that everyone needs to cut it out.)

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #51
Dude, EVERYONE thinks they're intelligent, attractive, and funny. Evidently you are in fact an ugly, boring, moron. No matter what you think, by your own admission that is what the facts point to.

Remember, the first step is admitting you have a problem.

--------------------
SupaNik: Aran, you're not big enough to threaten Ash. Dammit, even JV had to think twice.
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #52
quote:
Originally written by Ash Lael:

Dude, EVERYONE thinks they're intelligent, attractive, and funny. Evidently you are in fact an ugly, boring, moron. No matter what you think, by your own admission that is what the facts point to.

Remember, the first step is admitting you have a problem.

Or perhaps you're just projecting your insecurities onto me. :P

But seriously, I had no claim on being particularly attractive, and I suppose I did set myself up for that one. My general point was that most girls seem to seek out the worst guys, and most guys seem to seek out the worst girls. Everyone who can't sink to that level gets left out in the cold...

--------------------

Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #53
Actually, Eph, it looks like that would leave the truly cool and worthy people to each other. Kind of like matter and antimatter cancelling each other out.

--------------------
A4 Items List A4 Singleton G4 Items List G4 Forging List G4 Insidious Infiltrator NR Items List
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #54
quote:
Originally written by Ephesos:

The reason I am unloved is clearly because I'm so wonderful. It's true, because all the wonderful girls out there are feeling unloved and lonely too. My life sucks.
I want to visit your fantasy world and share in your troubles.

--------------------
SupaNik: Aran, you're not big enough to threaten Ash. Dammit, even JV had to think twice.
Too Sexy for my Title
Member # 5654
Profile #55
For the love of god, what I meant was that the person that I spoke to in Aim for 8 hours was a hot attractive intelligent funny and lovely guy. Not that it is necessarily what I'm looking for in a guy.
Girls and Guys do tend to look for the wrong person, but after getting burned a couple of times we learn our lessons (I hope).
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #56
quote:
Originally written by Synergy:

Actually, Eph, it looks like that would leave the truly cool and worthy people to each other. Kind of like matter and antimatter cancelling each other out.
Yeah, I think that's one of the only semi-logical explanations for how me and my girlfriend got together. But just like the matter-antimatter analogy, what's left is either lopsided or prohibitively spread out. Quite a few of my friends (great people) just get terminally unlucky, and are forever bouncing off bits of unresponsive matter.

Anyway, </rant>.

[ Monday, February 13, 2006 12:37: Message edited by: Ephesos ]

--------------------

Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #57
You know, Marlina, er Selemmy, you really should oil the cranks on your bicycle. It makes a horrible squeaking noise when you backpedal. :P

quote:

Originally written by Ephesos:

Huh? Where?

[ Monday, February 13, 2006 12:43: Message edited by: Synergy ]

--------------------
A4 Items List A4 Singleton G4 Items List G4 Forging List G4 Insidious Infiltrator NR Items List
Too Sexy for my Title
Member # 5654
Profile #58
quote:

You know, Marlina, er Selemmy, you really should oil the cranks on your bicycle. It makes a horrible squeaking noise when you backpedal.
Wait, What's that a joke?
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #59
quote:

I am unable to detect a paraphrase without someone indicating it with FYT.
Same place where you said that.

Also:

quote:

For the love of god, what I meant was that the person that I spoke to in Aim for 8 hours was a hot attractive intelligent funny and lovely guy. Not that it is necessarily what I'm looking for in a guy.
This is so perfect I don't need to paraphrase it. But I will anyway.

quote:

I was chatting online for 8 hours with this gorgeous, funny, itelligent, sweet guy. Not that I'm into that sort of thing, of course.
I'm sorry, but you guys are giving me way too much ammo to pass up here.

[ Monday, February 13, 2006 13:05: Message edited by: Ash Lael ]

--------------------
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #60
Sigh. I figured as much.

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #61
Jeff should ask for subscription fees for reading this forum. The entertainment value is reaching new highs...

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #62
I spent most of middle school and high school trying to figure out why certain people were attracted to certain other people. I came up with dozens of hypotheses involving certain characteristics that made people more attractive or less attractive, or elaborate preference lists that certain people had, or various other things. I tried every explanation that I could. Eventually, I decided that there was only one thing that made sense.

Pheromones.

Attraction is so bizarre, so unpredictable, and so counter-intuitive that I eventually had to start with the idea that people are attracted to each other based on invisible smells detectable only to our unconscious minds, so that if you like someone's pheromones, you will be attracted to that person. Then I could layer on additional explanations (if the person is butt-ugly, sometimes people will refuse the pheromone suggestions, etc.), but I had to start with pheromones, because the observed behavior was so random as to defy every other explanation.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #63
You couldn't draw any patterns (or not any significant ones) based on situations where there are no pheromones? Say, looking at pictures of people.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #64
Well, I didn't have a lab. I was a naturalist, not an experimentalist, if you will, viewing teens in their natural habitat.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #65
Kel, have you ever pinned your Meyers-Briggs type? I could make a couple points based on that personality trait system alone, if you're game. My intention in asking is not for poking fun or undermining anyone in any way.

I find various personality typing systems fascinating, often relevant, and sometimes useful. This is not to say I don't also consider them very limited in scope or application. They are approximate tools at best, but useful nonetheless.

I also like the Holland Typing System which is related to career aptitudes and often given by career counselors. It is simple, fast, and intuitive. It can be very evocative and directive for understanding the sorts of things with which one naturally thrives.

Other systems like the Dominant—Submissive / Friendly—Hostile axis wheel can be very suggestive of who gets along with or is attracted to whom. My perspective is that there are deeper underlying personality traits or states to some systems like these which one could look at just as usefully. (What makes someone "Friendly" vs. "Hostile"?)

There is also a difference between initial attraction and long-term projected compatibility, of course. Some people are attracted to the wrong type for them over and over because it is familiar, even if wretchedly so. There is this weird human tendency toward finding security in the famliar. Typical example: a girl endures physical or other abuse growing up and somehow always winds up in abusive romantic relationships as an adult.

--------------------
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #66
There was nothing natural about that habitat.

Still, interesting conclusions.

--------------------
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #67
Synergy: I put no more stock in personality type profiling than I do in astrology.

[ Monday, February 13, 2006 14:40: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------

Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #68
Yet, amazingly enough, the stock you put or do not put into anything has nothing to do with whether or not it is at all relevant or useful. But, meh, nevermind.

For instance, I suggest that my F conflicts strongly with your T, and perhaps my N with your S, the latter being less certain without knowing you face to face.

[ Monday, February 13, 2006 15:12: Message edited by: Synergy ]

--------------------
Agent
Member # 27
Profile #69
The problem with most kids my age is that they all believe the world focuses on them. They all feel like they are God's gift to the world and the opposite sex. Television shows and magazines all depict people with the best traits and qualities, setting standards remarkably high. If you asked most girls what they wanted in a man, most would probably describe Chad Michael Murry's television character. If you asked a guy what he wanted in a woman, he'd probably describe something like Jessica Simpson.

I'm horrible with women. I somehow have the curse of attracting all the women I don't feel any sort of attraction towards and failing to pick up cues from women I do like, until it's too late. Maybe if I hadn't had some bad experiences with women friends (bad idea) I wouldn't be such a pussy towards women now.
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #70
Originally by Kelandon:

quote:
I spent most of middle school and high school trying to figure out why certain people were attracted to certain other people. I came up with dozens of hypotheses involving certain characteristics that made people more attractive or less attractive, or elaborate preference lists that certain people had, or various other things. I tried every explanation that I could. Eventually, I decided that there was only one thing that made sense.

Pheromones.
If pheromones are the answer, how does one explain perfume and all other scented items meant to be applied to the body? Unless the users intend to drive people off...

There is some evidence that pheromones do have something to do with attractiveness, but I really didn't need to watch a video of people making out while in health class (watching the video in health class, that is, not the making out part) to learn that. Especially since the overarching theme was drinking alcohol is bad because it messes with your nervous and endocrine system. Unless the intent was to gross people out so badly they never wanted to make out or drink alcohol again.

Dikiyoba's only chance at retaining sanity was reading the health textbook. You be the judge of whether that worked or not.
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #71
I have never understood perfume (and other scents). There is no surer way to drive me away from someone. Blech!

--------------------
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #72
Pheremones, in my thinking, is another of those chicken or the egg questions. Do certain pheremones trigger because of other aspects of attraction already occuring, or do pheremones cause attraction first? Anyone acquainted with me can probably predict which I lean to, and I believe they certainly factor in either way.

Enraged Slith’s words make me think how beneath the bluster, bravado, and conceit of the typical young person lies a well of insecurity. Even stripping away cultural and gender differences, I think what we as humans crave on the deepest level is for someone to love and embrace us as we are, to acknowledge our intrinsic value, and to find something admirable and viable about who and what we are right now, not based on some outer, fickle, temporal, societal standard. Our desiring after those who represent nearly impossible ideals might simply betray how little this basic need is getting fulfilled in our relationships,whether romantic or otherwise. Yeah, Jessica Simpson has pretty brown eyes (well, I think that’s her best feature), but what makes her beautiful is a certain sweetness and genuineness about her. There is not much air of artifice or judgement. You can find that in some people no matter how they look, and it always makes them a lot more attractive.

Popular media do have this uniquely streamlined way of making us feel inadequate or like we are missing out on something, do they not? Eh, it's all an illusion anyway. Smoke and mirrors. Makeup and lighting. Digital leg elongation and blemish elimination. Cardboard archetypes and embodied myths on the little or big screen. Being a famous actor is a pretty miserable life in many ways, and I wouldn't want it. I'd take the money; someone else can have the fame. Still, there is clearly something universally and enduringly compelling to humanity in its drive to remind itself through myth and ideal of the noble heights to which it may aspire. The Hero. The Sage. The Lover. And so forth.

I think one of the big obvious simple secrets to life is finding one's own security in being genuinely who you are and being willing to truly own, embrace, and celebrate that. This means also being fine with everything you are not, because none of us is everything or anything close to it. But most assuredly, what is within each of us as potential, if not yet expression, is sufficient and worthy. It is enough. We cheat ourselves by doubting what we are and not utilizing it—instead trying to force ourselves uncomfortably into the molds of others or impossible ideals.

If I knew you, Sir Slith, I'd soon be able to point out things which make you exceptional and unique in yourself, and I'd be inclined to say so. I don't see the profit in comparing ourselves with any other, because we aren't built to fill any other shoes. We can compare with the us we aren't being or realizing yet. That's the only real shortchanging...selling ourselves short of ourselves, maybe even by wishing to be someone we are not meant to be and don't need to be.

It’s interesting that you said you are bad with the ladies and that, “I somehow have the curse of attracting all the women I don't feel any sort of attraction towards.” While this may not be gratifying to you, it does suggest that you are doing something right, to be that attractive to some. There is something in you attractive to these girls. Is their appreciation of you worth less than that of others? Do you disagree with their conclusion about your attractiveness?

The bottom line for attractiveness (at least to the sort of people I think it would be healthy to attract):

Genuineness (Don’t play a role for anyone. Be who you really are at heart.)
Confidence (in who you are just as you are)
Warmth and acceptance towards others (even despite themselves if necessary.)

--------------------
Skip to My Lou
Member # 40
Profile Homepage #73
quote:

I am an NF
FYT :P

quote:

Evidently you are in fact an ugly, boring, moron.
This has forced me to fall in with the current fad.

--------------------
Take the Personality Test!
Deep down, you wish you were a stick figure.
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #74
Ohoho no you don't. Don't go lumping the rest of us NFs in with that hug-the-world ENFJ pedagogy.

-- Slarty the INFP, who counts himself an IP first and foremost, and finds Keirsey to be an exceedingly superficial treatment of MBT.

--------------------

Pages