[ Topic closed ]

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: [ Topic closed ]
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #75
Kinda fitting that this thread gains a cat fight on the third page.

Is Eddie sure that he wants to have friends like this?

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #76
Tentacles can be quite good: calamari, pulpo tapas, and I once got some great bits of octopus tentacle at an Italian wedding reception.

Very tasty.

Plus eating actual tentacles is a way of realizing you're really an adult that has far fewer concomitant complications than any of the more widely recognized rites of passage.

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #77
quote:
Originally written by Jumpin' Salmon:

Is Eddie sure that he wants to have friends like this?
Apparently so. I talk to him on MSN, and, well, he's amazingly friendly with me. And if he's like that with me, considering my low level of sanity... well, even TM, yes TM is probably in line for friendship...

--------------------
And when you want to Live
How do you start?
Where do you go?
Who do you need to know?

*Name by Slarty, so blame him if it's filthy...
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #78
quote:
Originally written by Student of Trinity:

Tentacles can be quite good: calamari, pulpo tapas, and I once got some great bits of octopus tentacle at an Italian wedding reception.

Very tasty.

Plus eating actual tentacles is a way of realizing you're really an adult that has far fewer concomitant complications than any of the more widely recognized rites of passage.

See, now you've gone and made me mention this.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #79
quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

Did you mean the octopus, or the story about Baby and the egg?

--------------------
And when you want to Live
How do you start?
Where do you go?
Who do you need to know?

*Name by Slarty, so blame him if it's filthy...
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #80
Perhaps it would suit you to take an educated guess based on context? :P

--------------------
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #81
Sadly, the main conclusion from this excellent article is that raw tentacles don't actually taste much of anything. That is a bit of a problem with raw seafood in general, actually. With tuna I don't seem to mind; I like the texture, and the subtle flavor is enough (and much nicer than the canned-tuna taste that you get if you cook it much). I have to confess that for me most other sashimi just goes along for the ride. And giant clam is just rubbery, bland, and expensive.

So, I'll have my tentacles cooked, thanks.

Hey, why does tentacle mean seafood? Terrestrial animals haven't evolved tentacles. I wonder why not. Maybe fingers are as close as it gets. So we are all tentacle monsters. Globber globber!

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #82
quote:

Hey, why does tentacle mean seafood? Terrestrial animals haven't evolved tentacles. I wonder why not. Maybe fingers are as close as it gets. So we are all tentacle monsters. Globber globber!
Funnily enough, there was a discussion on this exact topic on one of the game forums. The general conclusion we reached was that a creature with boneless tentacles would likely have difficulty supporting its own weight on land. (An octopus can "walk" on dry land, but not very well.)

Mind you, an elephant's trunk isn't so different from a tentacle, when you think about it. So maybe the general principle is still useful on land, but other appendages would be needed for locomotion.

Fun fact: technically, the appendages an octopus has are called arms, not tentacles. A squid has both tentacles and arms; an octopus has only arms.

[ Thursday, February 09, 2006 12:11: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 6401
Profile #83
quote:

Fun fact: technically, the appendages an octopus has are called arms, not tentacles. A squid has both tentacles and arms; an octopus has only tentacles.[/QB]
Eh?

I suppose I wouldn't have called them legs, at least.

--------------------
I think this is really wonderful.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #84
Yup. A tentacle is generally longer than an arm, and an arm has suckers along its entire length, while a tentacle doesn't.

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 6401
Profile #85
I believe you. But didn't you just say that an octopus only has tentacles? Vitally important that this is cleared up.

--------------------
I think this is really wonderful.
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #86
Thuryl's right.
I mean, what use would suckers be on a japanese schoolgirl, save for maybe 2-3 places on her entire body? Cripes.

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #87
I hate tentacles. I hate octopuses. I hate tentacles combined with octopuses. I hate threads about octopuses. I think I therefor also hate TM. Didn't I just say that without knowing it? may the C.H. gods protect me.

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
Warrior
Member # 5802
Profile #88
quote:
Originally written by Arancaytar the Grey:

The "you suck" would make a good signature quote :P
It has. I'm sure the big guy dosn't mind do ya?

Also, Did you know that an octopus' legs have a mind of their own?

--------------------
If Skribbane dosn't kill me, canisters will.

"You suck." - TM
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #89
Synergy wins twice, and insulting him can't change that. Furthermore, Synergy starts with S.

SoT may also win, but his decision to use tentacles as a rite of passage is somewhat questionable.

Thuryl most assuredly wins and has assured that I will never, ever eat live tentacles. On the other hand, my family has a truly stunning octopus joke that I would repeat here if it weren't on the same order of magnitude as posting the Communist Manifesto.

Mycroft, if you've read Thuryl's article you will see why we all know that the tentacles have minds of their own. Vicious, retributive minds.

—Alorael, who likes his food dead. Not sick, not wounded, dead. This quote cannot in fact be attributed to Alorael, but putting Walter Hollander after the emdash would be too bizarre.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Too Sexy for my Title
Member # 5654
Profile #90
quote:

quote:

Very tasty.

Ew, Not only do I like my food dead. Not sick, not wounded, dead. But I also like it Cooked, and by that I mean cooked under a heat, with tons and tons of spices (not just salt and pepper). Sure there are exceptions to this rule, but certainly not sea food.
BANNED
Member # 6655
Profile #91
[ The original message here has been closed by the E.D.F ]

[ Friday, February 10, 2006 11:24: Message edited by: E.D.F ]
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #92
quote:
Originally written by Thralni, The flying Dutchmen:

I hate tentacles. I hate octopuses. I hate tentacles combined with octopuses. I hate threads about octopuses. I think I therefor also hate TM. Didn't I just say that without knowing it? may the C.H. gods protect me.
Look, as we all know from the reloaded photo thread, TM's a hideous tentacle monster. So, I have this advice to offer: Don't poke the octopus, Thralni... it'll poke back.

And I fully expect TM to warp that quote to his own purposes. I'd be a little disappointed if he didn't. :P

Calimari's fine, but pretty much any raw meat is slightly sickening to me... doubly so for things lacking bones. In any case, I'm surprised at how rapidly this discussion went from posting habits to tentacles, and frankly, it's a bit disconcerting.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #93
From Ephesos:
quote:
Look, as we all know from the reloaded photo thread, TM's a hideous tentacle monster. So, I have this advice to offer: Don't poke the octopus, Thralni... it'll poke back.
Not a 'hideous tentacle monster'. An Illithid (or Mind Flayer). Remember, psychotic psionic overlords from the Underdark have feelings too.

Now I better shut up before the good folks from WotC sue me for copyright infringement.

--------------------
http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=30
(Yet another shameless plug for OotS!)
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #94
quote:
Originally written by Dintiradan:

http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=30
(Yet another shameless plug for OotS!)

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one here with a love for the Order of the Stick. This one, the one immediately after the Dintiradan mentioned, is a hilarious Ilithid strip too.

[ Thursday, February 09, 2006 10:47: Message edited by: Tyranicus ]

--------------------
"You're drinking liquor because you're thirsty? How nasty is your freaking water?" —Lazarus
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #95
quote:
Originally written by Thin Air:

I believe you. But didn't you just say that an octopus only has tentacles? Vitally important that this is cleared up.
Expletive deleted. Fixed. Arms it is.

--------------------
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #96
Originally by Ephesos:
quote:
Calimari's fine, but pretty much any raw meat is slightly sickening to me... doubly so for things lacking bones. In any case, I'm surprised at how rapidly this discussion went from posting habits to tentacles, and frankly, it's a bit disconcerting.
Obnoxious posting habits, long sinister tentacles-what's the difference?

Dikiyoba can think of one land animal with tentacles. Vlish! Admittedly, they float rather than walk.
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #97
Personally I would never eat tentacles. Maybe you would but . . .

However tent tackles are another matter.

[ Thursday, February 09, 2006 16:55: Message edited by: VCH ]

--------------------
The Knight Between Posts.
BANNED
Member # 2385
Profile Homepage #98
quote:
#81867 +(263)- [X]

<Japhro> two lovers, making sweet love. sure one may be a tentacle monsterm and the other is a screaming, bleeding, 14 year old girl. but love prevails and finds a way.

<3 bash.org

--------------------
I am a silly, silly fool.
BANNED
Member # 6655
Profile #99
The E.D.F aren't impressed what has happened to this topic.
CLOSE IT

[ Friday, February 10, 2006 09:43: Message edited by: E.D.F ]

Pages