Swords or Spears?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Swords or Spears?
Shock Trooper
Member # 1152
Profile Homepage #0
So, i was playing Avernum a little while ago, and started wondering: how many people use Melee and how many use Pole weapons in the games? I also wonder fi the answer is connected with a person's personality.

[Thuryl's EDIT: Fixed spelling in topic title. It was itching my eyes.]

[ Thursday, January 05, 2006 20:13: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

Poll Information
This poll contains 1 question(s). 35 user(s) have voted.

function launch_voter () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=vote;pollid=HAEjClpNBNhv"); return true; } // end launch_voter function launch_viewer () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=view;pollid=HAEjClpNBNhv"); return true; } // end launch_viewer function launch_window (url) { preview = window.open( url, "preview", "width=550,height=300,toolbar=no,location=no,directories=no,status,menubar=no,scrollbars,resizable,copyhistory=no" ); window.preview.focus(); return preview; } // end launch_window IMAGE(votenow.gif)     IMAGE(voteresults.gif)

--------------------
-Sylak
Proud Member of the Church of Devine Luchere
Way too many lifeforms are carbon-based. Put this in your signature/AIM Profile if you're not.
Master
Member # 1046
Profile Homepage #1
Neither. Grappling for the win! :D

--------------------
Polaris - owns you.
Undead Theories - double U slash E
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #2
It may be beneficial to have only one fighter on and Avernum 4-person party. On my Exile 6-PC party, I have one of both. If I had to choose between the two, it would be melee weapons because most are 1-handed, they're cheaper, and they're easier to find.

--------------------
-ben4808
Mongolian Barbeque
Member # 1528
Profile #3
I prefer swords. Spears always struck me as being rather meh. I'd rather hack an arm off than stab them in the abdomen. Seems more, I don't know, expressive somehow.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #4
Exile series: Usually two edged fighters and one polearm fighter. And I give at least one character a few points in bashing weapons, because hey, why not.

Nethergate: Spears for spellcasters (who can't afford to be encumbered with shields anyway, and occasionally benefit from being able to get a few good hits in), mostly swords for fighters. (Although my Roman party does have one spearman as well as two swordsmen, just because.)

BoA: Swords. Scenario designers have an unfortunate tendency to make powerful swords and neglect polearms.

A4: Swords.

[ Thursday, January 05, 2006 18:06: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #5
BoE: With +50 weapons, weapon skill doesn't matter.

BoA: One polearm-user (good pole weapons certainly exist, but artifact pole weapons are few and far between) and one sword-user (artifact swords are a dime a dozen).
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #6
Wouldn't this belong in a game forum?

Anyway, I prefer swords for the humans, and poles for the Sliths. For the Nephilim, they get bows, and a sword.

--------------------
I'll put a Spring in your step.
:ph34r:
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #7
It's not a poll about any specific game, so General is fine.

--------------------
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #8
In Avernum, I tend to have three characters with swords and one (a slith) with a spear. In Nethergate, it's much more balanced.

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

Polaris = joy.

In case of emergency, break glass.
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #9
quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

BoA: Swords. Terror's Martyr has an unfortunate tendency to make powerful swords and neglect polearms.
EDIT: It's also true that the best one-handed sword is better than the best two-handed pole weapon.

[ Thursday, January 05, 2006 20:27: Message edited by: Akai Hoshi ]

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Warrior
Member # 6629
Profile Homepage #10
... There was a post here but I deleted it as it was stoopid.

Move on.

[ Thursday, January 05, 2006 20:30: Message edited by: Inthrall ]

--------------------
"When everything is coming your way, you're in the wrong lane."
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #11
Exiles of all sorts: swords, spears, and maces. Since I use three fighters, I can maintain this happy balance. Unfortunately, maces have a distinct tendency to be worthless, but the other two both have their moments.

Avernum trilogy and BoA: Swords and spears. They're both useful at the right times. Besides, you don't need oodles of artifact weapons. You only need one, and there are enough good spears floating around that that one can be found. Or made for yourself, if you're in the mood.

A4: Both again, although I'm less convinced than others that spears are equal to swords.

—Alorael, who would go with swords if he had to pick just one. Shields are an advantage, and nice swords practically leap into your hands. Spears with additional poking power have to be dredged up from the deepest pits of not fun caverns.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #12
"If Alorael and not Alorael..." is a tautology.
Anyway, in BoA, swords are superior.
In Exile, swords and spears are superior.

--------------------
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #13
quote:
Originally written by Akai Hoshi:

"If Alorael and not Alorael..." is a tautology.
No, it isn't. "Alorael or not Alorael" would be a tautology. "Alorael and not Alorael" is a contradiction.

quote:
In Exile, swords and spears are superior.
If you want to dual-wield, two flails are almost as good as two waveblades, and much cheaper and easier to find.

(Besides, in Exile, spears suck. Halberds are superior. :P )

--------------------
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #14
"No, it isn't. "Alorael or not Alorael" would be a tautology. "Alorael and not Alorael" is a contradiction."
Half correct. A•~A is a contradiction, but a contradiction as an antecedent guarantees a true conclusion. Alorael's moniker is (A•~A)>x, which is a tautology.

"If you want to dual-wield, two flails are almost as good as two waveblades, and much cheaper and easier to find."
Okay, point. But not in Blades of Exile.

quote:
(Besides, in Exile, spears suck. Fasces are superior. :P )
FYT.

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #15
If A and not-A are both true, then any following proposition is also true. In that sense I suppose my current name is the left side of a tautology of sorts, because whatever follows the ellipsis is true.

"If Alorael and not Alorael, then you are not reading this post, never have, and never will." This is a logically valid statement. I'm not quite comfortable with calling it a tautology, though.

—Alorael, who would rather go with Thuryl's definition. Ignore the if because there is no following proposition and accept that his name is a contradiction. And this is all highly irrelevant to the thread.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #16
TM's essentially right.

In Boolean logic, a tautology is a statement that is true regardless of the truth values of any of its parts (as defined in the Wikipedia article on "tautology"). An if-then is always true if its if-clause (the protasis) is false, and a contradiction is always false. Therefore an if-then is always true if it has a contradiction in the protasis, which makes it a tautology.

EDIT: For the sake of making TM's post make sense, I should mention that this post originally said that he was wrong. Then I read closer, and my edit came in at about the same time as his post.

[ Thursday, January 05, 2006 22:29: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #17
Kel, the major operator of Alo's moniker is the if. It's an if-then statement with a variable for the consequence. Yeah, the consequence may-or-may-not be false, but regardless if it is or not, the if-statement is guaranteed to be true.

So I was wrong, but you were too- it doesn't guarantee a true conclusion, but it DOES guarantee a true statement regardless of the conclusion. My bad.

(For reference, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sentential_logic#Grammar )

--------------------
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #18
So it would in fact be most accurate to say that "If Alorael or not Alorael" is half of a tautology. :P

[ Thursday, January 05, 2006 23:11: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 5389
Profile #19
In Exile, if I kept it on my computer (well, it was how I found out about Spidweb, but I like Avernum, Nethergate and Geneforge better), one each of my fighters would have a sword, a spear and a mace. Though all of them, spellcasters included, would get axes until I got something better. Nethergate characters would get swords, except for one spearcarrier per party.

In Avernum everyone gets swords, which is what I voted for.

--------------------
Reports of my demise are extremely accurate. And I AM the clone
Lifecrafter
Member # 1468
Profile Homepage #20
In Exile, I always give everyone swords. All fighters get two swords at least as good as Magic Wave Blades, spellcasters get one sword at least as good as a Magic Wave Blade, and a Rune Shield.

--------------------
"We can learn a lot from crayons. Some are short, some are dull, some are sharp, some are tall. Some have funny names and they are all different colors, but they all learn to live in the same box."

"Happy is the man that has wisdom and gets discernment. For having wisdom as gain is better than having silver as gain and having wisdom as produce is better than gold itself" Proverbs 3:14-3:15

The horrible part about life is, you'll never get out of it alive.

Currently boycotting: AngelFire, GameFAQ's, Macintosh PC's
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #21
Seriously, in Exile the ambidextrous edged weapon setup was RIDICULOUSLY more powerful than anything else. Bashing weapons didn't even come close -- Exile I had the Alien Blade and IIRC the Assassin's Knife. Exile II had the Magic Wave Blade which accidentally did not have its "Magic" flag checked, so you could improve it; twin Flaming Magic Wave Blades were just disgusting.

Pole weapons have never really been given a fighting chance, except maybe in Nethergate.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Warrior
Member # 6501
Profile Homepage #22
3 Spear/Halberd Fighter, 1 Sword Fighter (Only in BoA), that says nearly everything! :D

--------------------
You know, why the Sliths are green - because of their scales.

Maybe you know why some slith eyes were once red - ´cause the demons, which led them were red.

But why are the eyes of the Slith Lord Followers red? Because they see the remains of their enemies always before the battle begins!
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #23
quote:
Originally written by Slartucker:

Seriously, in Exile the ambidextrous edged weapon setup was RIDICULOUSLY more powerful than anything else.
Not against things with heavy armour it wasn't. Sure, your strength bonuses get applied twice if you're wielding two weapons, but so do your target's armour bonuses. Having at least one character who's capable of doing high damage per hit is very advantageous when you're fighting, say, Doomguards.

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #24
Fortunately, in Exile turning a mean man with two little swords into a mean man with one huge sword is as simple as changing equipment. A pair of absurdly overpowered waveblades and a single absurdly overpowered greatsword are perfect.

—Alorael, who never ran into such terribly armored foes that a greatsword literally wouldn't cut it and only a halberd could do the job.

Pages