Ya wanna bet?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Ya wanna bet?
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #0
I can't tell you how many times those words have led me into trouble. It is one of my favorite phrases, right up there with "You did what?" Anyhow, I did some roof skiing today, which is not as exciting as it sounds, and wondered if anyone else does stuff which is crazy, dangerous, thrilling, etc. You know if you are a risk-taker.

I'm not talking about the illegal stuff either, since we can't. Stuff like sky diving, skin diving, jumping out of the bed of pickup up truck to tackle a deer that your buddy is chasing. Stuff like that. Whaddaya got?

My roof skiing today is my example. I was on the shake roof (split cedar shingles) to patch up a leak. This is the barn roof, so it has a bit of moss on it, and we've had about 5 inches of rain in the past day or two. Anyhow, I started to slide down from the peak, and knew I couldn't stop. So I slid down the roof until I got to the ladder, fell off the edge, and grabbed the ladder to slow my fall. Then the ladder started to pivot, so I just let go and fell the rest of the way to the ground. Onlookers were horrified, especially when I grabbed the tools and went back on the roof. Lateral travel - 10ft. Vertical travel 4ft sliding and 12ft in a hurry.

Your turn.

Edit - nothing important

Edit 2 - I thought it was implicit, but chicken neck made me realize that I should explicitly say that these are activities which could caused direct injury or harm to one's person. If riding in a land rover qualifies, please be more descriptive.

*this message sponsored by wesco boot company*

[ Sunday, November 06, 2005 23:23: Message edited by: Jumpin' Salmon ]
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #1
Well... my most exciting thing is probably the Safari I went on in South Africa. We walked in the wilderniss for about half an hour and we spotted some rhino's and giraffes. The safari by car was much more succesful: 5 lions (with their cubs!), baboons and other monkeys, giraffes etc.

--------------------
Thralni's almighty Avernum pages: My webpage, containing scenario's and graphics made by me (And maybe someday the homepage of the almighty chicken gods).

Click here for more information on Olga's fortune teller kiosk

Olga's fortune teller kiosk has been temporarily closed down, but you can contact the prophet with a PM - Was signed by the prophet of the almighty chicken gods, gods of everything that is a chicken.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #2
I spilled concentrated sulfuric acid on my hand once, although I managed to wash it off before any serious harm was done. That's more in the nature of an occupational hazard than a recreational activity, though. Still, it made for a pretty pattern when I spilled blue dye on that hand the same day; the area that I'd previously spilled acid on showed up in a different shade of blue and took several days longer to wash off than the rest of my hand.

I became a little more conscientious about wearing gloves after that.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #3
Now that you know you can escape serious harm, would you do it again to freak out someone? Try tossing in some easily destroyed object (like a cat) to demonstrate the effectiveness of the acid, and then calming spill it over your hand. Actually that might work better with liquid nitrogen, since the frantic rush to neutralize the acid might distract from the show.

*this message sponsored by my dog*
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #4
I love doing things like that, and its even better when the people watching don't think that you have the guts to do it.

Anyway:

Saturday was hot, so me and a couple of mates decided to cool off at the beach. The breakwater is about 3 meters above sea level, and it is really fun to jump off. Not very, um, 'dangerous', but it was fun.

At school, my friends and I always do things like that, whether its jumping into bushes, jumping over fences into bushes, jumping off roofs, there is always something to do.

--------------------
Mugglenet--The ULTIMATE Harry Potter Site.
Polaris-- New location.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #5
I would encourage you to keep at it.

*this message sponsored by the Beagle*
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #6
quote:
Originally written by Explode Thuryl Now:

I spilled concentrated sulfuric acid on my hand once, although I managed to wash it off before any serious harm was done. That's more in the nature of an occupational hazard than a recreational activity, though. Still, it made for a pretty pattern when I spilled blue dye on that hand the same day; the area that I'd previously spilled acid on showed up in a different shade of blue and took several days longer to wash off than the rest of my hand.

I became a little more conscientious about wearing gloves after that.

Phew... I never came closer then burning parts of my clothes with sulfuric acid (the acid didn't came to my skin, but now i have a nice round hole or three in my pants and an angry mother) and ruining parts of the carpet with sulfuric acid. I also managed to accidentily let escape some nasty gasses in to the house, but luckily I work close to a window, so the gasses went out of it quite quickly. As you did, I now discovered the use of old pants.

--------------------
Thralni's almighty Avernum pages: My webpage, containing scenario's and graphics made by me (And maybe someday the homepage of the almighty chicken gods).

Olga's fortune teller kiosk has been temporarily closed down, but you can contact the prophet with a PM - Was signed by the prophet of the almighty chicken gods, gods of everything that is a chicken.
Too Sexy for my Title
Member # 5654
Profile #7
My brother and I mostly go:
How much ya wanna bet? It is said and done at least twice every single day. From stupid stuff such as "I bet you a slap on the face that channel five is still giving commercials" to stuff even more stupid like "I bet you $5 Canada is not a part of the United States" (sometimes being older does mean being wiser).

Besides the pathetic attempts to put my fingers through the candle (I know everyone has done it)I don't recall anything that exciting. I'll try to think of something though.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #8
quote:
Originally written by Marlenny:

"I bet you a slap on the face that channel five is still giving commercials"
Sounds like a negative-sum game.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Warrior
Member # 4478
Profile Homepage #9
Jumpin' Salmon seems like he likes to live on the edge. I don't do anything crazy while sober. But sometimes when there's beer involved, I guess I think alot less.

Once after our white water rafting trip, we were having some beers with the river guides. I decided I wanted to get on top of the cabin so I climbed up the side of it, grabbed a power line to pull myself up. Stupid. Then once I was up there everyone got the "oh crap" look on their faces because they couldn't figure out how to get me back down. It was about 10 feet at the lowest point, but 6 feet at the lowest point of the next cabin over, so they had me jump from one roof to the next. That was scary, but I somehow made it and got down.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #10
quote:
Originally written by Detta:

Jumpin' Salmon seems like he likes to live on the edge.
I do like looking over the edge, and sometimes my depth perception just totally sucks.

*this message sponsored by wyeth*
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #11
I have a record of knocking things over on myself. I emptied most of two liters of blue stain on myself. My clothes were ruined (or more artistic, if you prefer), and my skin was slightly spotted for about a week. Some people noticed immediately, and some people didn't. I found it interesting psychologically and awkward socially.

I also had fun with spilling a bottle of unknown chemical on myself and then trying to figure out what it was and where to get MSDS data on it. My first guess turned out to be carcinogenic, caustic, teratogenic, and possibly permanently paralytic. The actual contents of the bottle turned out to be less exciting.

As far as deliberate stupid things go, I think I've been at my physically stupidest with free climbing. It doesn't seem all that far going up, and then I realize that I have to get back down and I don't have eyes in my feet.

—Alorael, who has two sets of clothes: acceptable and alternately stained and chloroxed. The latter are something of an artistic experiment in accidental, ongoing dyeing techniques
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Agent
Member # 618
Profile Homepage #12
Stupidest thing I've ever done? Probably to not realise that a would-be mugger was actually really holding a razor. Laughing would normally yield a bad reaction, but somehow it turned out okay...

--------------------
Aut Tace Aut Loquere Meliora Silencio
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #13
I ate a stick of butter on a bet for $5 once. No ill effects. :)
Lifecrafter
Member # 4682
Profile #14
I know how to light my finger on fire without it burning for a few seconds. It's fun to set it up and light it from a candle by putting your finger through it in front of other people. My dad used to do it for trick-or-treaters.
Other than that I poke my friend who is a foot taller than me and who is really good at karate with a pen, but he just pokes back, so....

--------------------
If anyone ever asks you why you did something, say "Because I could".
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #15
I normally keep my fingers out to the candle flame except for a few quick swipes. Hard to keep yourself away.

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
Shock Trooper
Member # 6068
Profile #16
Henry was a chemist,
But Henry is no more.
What Henry thought was water,
Was H2S04.
:P

--------------------
"Sometimes I get all hungry!
And then I catch some flies!
They fly into my webs!
They are really yummy guys!"
-Spider
Apprentice
Member # 6009
Profile #17
The craziest thing i've done was put candles out with my hands by depriving them of oxygen. Not that it was life threatening or anything, but i did have blisters covering both my palms for a few months. It was sort of cool cause i was at some school dinner with some friends, and i did it while they were watching me, and none of them thought i'd be able to put the candles out like that. It suprisingly didn't hurt much, at least not until later...
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #18
Today was windy, so me and a couple of friends climbed trees and swayed in the brreze until the branches snapped, often with help from us.

We also put someone in a bin and rolled them down stairs. :P

--------------------
Polaris-- New location.
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #19
quote:
Originally written by Chief Spider watching The Simpsons:

Henry was a chemist,
But Henry is no more.
What Henry thought was water,
Was H2S04.
:P

A very nice rhyme, with my favorite chemical in it: congratulations!

--------------------

Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #20
Deliberate stupidity... I'd like to say I've never done anything deliberately stupid, but that would be lying. And that's wrong, isn't it children?

I once got someone to hit my around the head with the yellow pages before. That hurt, but didn't cause any damage I'm aware of... 'cept maybe my insomnia. Due to the size of the book, I did get £25 though, so I was quite happy.

I've also eaten a £10 note before, for a dare. Nothing bad happened then either, although the taste was something I'd rather forget...

--------------------
Everybody knows, but nobody understands.

Thus endeth this post.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #21
Consider yourself fortunate to live in a country where banknotes are made of paper instead of plastic. Australian banknotes are decidedly inedible.

[ Tuesday, November 08, 2005 15:27: Message edited by: Explode Thuryl Now ]

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Skip to My Lou
Member # 40
Profile Homepage #22
With the stuff we use for our money it would be more like eating a piece of cloth than a piece of paper.

--------------------
Take the Personality Test! INTJ 100% 75% 100% 44%
Huzzah for the Masterminds!
www.Keirsey.com for personality information.
The Sloganizer! "Swing your Archmage Alex."
Deep down, you wish you were a stick figure.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #23
Paper money usually contains a lot of textile fibre to make it durable. I often leave one in the laundry - it comes out clean and completely undamaged.

Presumably, this durability would make it very tough to chew through. :P

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperment, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #24
quote:
Originally written by Explode Thuryl Now:

Consider yourself fortunate to live in a country where banknotes are made of paper instead of plastic. Australian banknotes are decidedly inedible.
Not that you have tried though, hey Thuryl? :P

--------------------
Polaris-- New location.

Pages