What's In A Name?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: What's In A Name?
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #0
I'm the curious sort. Some might just call it nosy. I'm wondering how a lot of people around here chose their nicknames for this motley corner of the internet. Come on, 'fess up...it's good for you.

--------------------
[Insert Signature Here]
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #1
I've run out of inspiration. At this point I grasp at whatever floats into my brain!

—Alorael, who banged on a keyboard and spent a few seconds judiciously adding and subtracting letters to come up with his one true name. The fact that it makes him angelic is just a bonus.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #2
I don't see no halo, mister.

[ Thursday, October 20, 2005 01:52: Message edited by: Synergy67 ]

--------------------
[Insert Signature Here]
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #3
Atrus is because I just finished Myst III Exile, and I'm a fan of the series.

I've known the name Arancaytar since late in 2002, but it was around March 2003 when I first used that to register somewhere (before, I've posted under my real name or various LotR characters. There should still be some of my old posts stored somewhere if you google for 'Smeagol ADOM'. I eventually registered an email account under that name, came to be called Aran by online friends, and now that's sort of become my identity.

In Summer when (as I've told several times before, probably) I met a couple of online friends in Bavaria, I was called Aran by practically everyone.

If someone were to call out "Aran" on the street now, I'd turn my head without being surprised at being called that. Scary?

--

What's it mean?

Zilch, nada. Random syllables stuck together in a way that might sounds vaguely Elvish/Indian.

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #4

A bit of elimination and rearranging, and hey presto.

Also, you now are compelled to explain "Synergy".

[ Wednesday, October 19, 2005 21:10: Message edited by: Ash Lael ]

--------------------
Sex is easier than love.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #5
Hmm. The surname comes from my job, my love of the fish as food, my enjoyment in fishing for them, my excitement in catching, my pleasure in sharing them, and interest in preserving their viability as wild stock. My given name changes as to the mood, but the current seems like the best fit for now. Certain fleeting events can cause a brief change, but until something major happens, this is it.

Edit - Mustn't ever post again else I turn the eye of the overlord in my direction.

*this message sponsored by the Oncorhynchus tshawytscha*

[ Wednesday, October 19, 2005 21:20: Message edited by: Jumpin' Salmon ]
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #6
The power of Christ compels me...

Synergy...a nick I use because I love the concept of magical interaction in which the whole is greater than the sum of the parts. '67 was the Summer of Love (and holds other more esoteric meanings for me, including the symbology of numbers.)

Oh, and mostly, I just really like alliteration.

[ Thursday, October 20, 2005 01:48: Message edited by: Synergy67 ]

--------------------
[Insert Signature Here]
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #7
My cat walked over my keyboard, I deleted some consonants and added some vowels, and thus my name was born.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #8
Let's see... my name was created at random, first as a character in an abandoned idea for a novel, and it then became my permanent video gaming avatar name. (Looking at my computer will reveal the number of save files for characters named Ephesos)

As a consequence, it's the name of a major character in Druids of Krell, but that's unrelated. </shameless scenario plug>

Coincidentally, Ephesus happens to be the name of an ancient Greek city. It was unintentional, I swear.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #9
Ephesus, along with several other ancient Greek cities, is causally discussed in Tides of War, an interesting account of the Peloponnesian War written by Steven Pressfield. Several of his other books are worth reading as well.

*this message sponsored by BÖC*
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #10
How many times has this thread been done?

VCH= Vancouver Canucks Hockey, or it did when I first created it. BTW the only other handle I use on the web is
MCLiquid. Mainly cuze some places want more than 3 characters.

edit: I just noticed =H makes a smiley yea!

[ Wednesday, October 19, 2005 22:23: Message edited by: VCH ]

--------------------
I stop rubber at 160km/h, five times a week.
CANUCKS
RESPEK!
My Style
The Knight Between Posts.
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #11
Spring comes from a nickname my cousin, uncle and father gave me a couple of years ago. I was walking down the passage, and apparently my hair stuck up and bounced around.

--------------------
I'll put a Spring in your step.

Polaris
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #12
Thralni, empreor of Riverrod, isn't the Thralni from Avernum 1 or the orb of Thralni. Actually, a person named Thralni was a ruler in Riverrod, a province were my scenario takes place. And besides that, I like names with th in it. For example, in Runsecape I'm known as "Benthol," also a charcter from my scenario.

--------------------
Thralni's almighty Avernum pages: My webpage, containing scenario's and graphics made by me (And maybe someday the homepage of the almighty chicken gods).

Click here for more information on Olga's fortune teller kiosk

Olga's fortune teller kiosk has been temporarily closed down, but you can contact the prophet with a PM - Was signed by the prophet of the almighty chicken gods, gods of everything that is a chicken.

Work has begun on the Nephilian grammar and vocabulary guide!
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #13
To be sure, the name "Thralni" is derived from the game however - it does not occur anywhere else.

However, one Google result showed the name "Filbert Thralni" (a Dutch site), and it was probably out of Spiderweb context. :P

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #14
Yes, that was me again. there was a school election for the best janitor of the year, and one of the five janitors was from my school. Filbert is a name that came from a cartoon called "Garfield." Does anybody know it? I'm a great fan of it. Anyway, the name Filbert came from there:

Jon (Garfields owener) is reading a book, garfield stands next to him.

"Jon learns every day a new word" garfield says.

Jon looks up with big eyes and says:

"Here's a nice one!"

Jon looks with dreamy eyes and says:

"Filbert"

To which garfield answers:

"the same word."

Anyway, that is how "Filbert" came to be as one of my favorite names.

BTW, Yes, Thralni does come from the game, but my username isn't the Thralni of Avernum one or the "orb of Thralni" Tharlni, as I said earlier.

[ Thursday, October 20, 2005 00:50: Message edited by: Thralni, emperor of Riverrod ]

--------------------
Thralni's almighty Avernum pages: My webpage, containing scenario's and graphics made by me (And maybe someday the homepage of the almighty chicken gods).

Click here for more information on Olga's fortune teller kiosk

Olga's fortune teller kiosk has been temporarily closed down, but you can contact the prophet with a PM - Was signed by the prophet of the almighty chicken gods, gods of everything that is a chicken.

Work has begun on the Nephilian grammar and vocabulary guide!
Shock Trooper
Member # 565
Profile #15
the dream bit came from all my mates telling me that i have my head in the clouds most of the time and the Queen bit,,, well i am a girl :P :D

(also lived on an island with just me mum & dad for 10 years so i was the 'queen' of the island)

--------------------
If there is no light at the end of the tunnel, stride down there and turn the damm thing on yourself!

people often tell me i've lost my mind, but i tell them i have to have one to lose it!

lions and tigers and bears, oh my!
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #16
quote:
Originally written by dreamqueen:

the dream bit came from all my mates telling me that i have my head in the clouds most of the time
If you ever take the Meyers-Briggs personality test, I'll bet you anything you'll have a great big "N" in there (iNtuitive).

quote:
Originally written by VCH:

How many times has this thread been done?
Why don't you tell us, Number Two-Forty-Seven? (we can't all be three digits).

quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

My cat walked over my keyboard, I deleted some consonants and added some vowels, and thus my name was born.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Thuryl-ly unlikely.

[ Thursday, October 20, 2005 02:00: Message edited by: Synergy67 ]

--------------------
[Insert Signature Here]
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #17
Actually, Synergy, it has been done recently. I remember it being a couple of months ago.

[ Thursday, October 20, 2005 02:11: Message edited by: Spring ]

--------------------
I'll put a Spring in your step.

Polaris
Agent
Member # 618
Profile Homepage #18
My original name was a reference to the Wizard of Oz. Most people were lame-o's and never got it, though. My current one is a hang-over from my angelic phase. I probably need to change it, though...

--------------------
Aut Tace Aut Loquere Meliora Silencio
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #19
I can never remember...are the seraphim the ones which hang from the top of the cave, or are those the cherubim?

--------------------
[Insert Signature Here]
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #20
Seraphim are often depicted as being made of fire. Fire is hot. Hot air rises. Therefore we may safely assume that seraphim are found at the tops of caves.

Even the Pseudo-Dionysius said so, so it must be true!

quote:
Pseudo-Dionysius the Areopagite, as quoted in Thomas Aquinas's Summa Theologica:
First, the movement which is upwards and continuous. This signifies that they are borne inflexibly towards God.
See? You can't argue with the Pseudo-Dionysius!

[ Thursday, October 20, 2005 03:12: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Too Sexy for my Title
Member # 5654
Profile #21
Now mine is less interesting than the rest. However, I'm attempting to make it so by describing how I obtained the lovely name that you all see. Marlenny is my real name. It was given to me by aunt who adored some super-model called Marlene something. My father, in the other hand, tried to be original and messed around here and there until he came up with Marlenny. I do not have any nicknames, except for my lil brothers randomly attempts to call me Marlen when asking for favors and a couple of friends calling me honeygirl because of the color my eyes.

Edit: If I can remember the thread, then it's def not that long ago. Next thing you know, we'll have the how do you pronounce your sn thread.

[ Thursday, October 20, 2005 03:48: Message edited by: Marlenny ]
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #22
"Drew" is a shorter form of my first name. My original moniker was "Andrew Miller," and many people here still call me "AM."
Lifecrafter
Member # 1468
Profile Homepage #23
Mine came from playing Final Fantasy Tactics. I misread Elidibs as Eldibs, and thought it sounded cooler at the time, so now I use it.

--------------------
"We can learn a lot from crayons. Some are short, some are dull, some are sharp, some are tall. Some have funny names and they are all different colors, but they all learn to live in the same box."

"Happy is the man that has wisdom and gets discernment. For having wisdom as gain is better than having silver as gain and having wisdom as produce is better than gold itself" Proverbs 3:14-3:15

The horrible part about life is, you'll never get out of it alive.

Currently boycotting: AngelFire, GameFAQ's
Everybody should go to this site at least once.
Shock Trooper
Member # 5585
Profile #24
When joining a different forum, it accepted none of the names I chose at first, and it rejected about a dozen different names before I found one it would accept. Since I didn't want to use my first name, uncapatilized, I changed my name to Error: invalid username as a comment on the forums inacceptance of almost any names. (It turned out that the forum refused to accept any names that consisted of anything but letters, and you could only change your name to include spaces and symbols after registering) Eventually, I shortened it to Error, and the name stuck.

Since a few people here say got their names from typing random letters and adding and removing letters, I decided to try it, and here's what I got.

Opkam7, Kaxacif, Xasdignahm, Sros, Ewriu, Ipcvu, Onmren, Hyaliw, Retvibh, Rteyiu

Looking at my results, I'm suprised you came up with good names. If anyone wants those names (I wouldnt know why, but I suppose its possible) they can have them, because I sure won't ever use them.

[ Thursday, October 20, 2005 06:05: Message edited by: Error ]

--------------------
Important Information about Stuff

Pages