What's In A Name?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: What's In A Name?
Mongolian Barbeque
Member # 1528
Profile #50
quote:
Originally written by lightningmaster2016:

quote:
Originally written by Icshi:

Icshi: (pronounced 'IK shee)
short for Icshicoath (pronounced ik shih 'KOE ath)
best translated as "Guardian(s) of Knowledge"

What language is it?

It's in one of my made-up languages, which I intend to use in a SF book someday.

--------------------
The A.E. van Vogt Information Site
My Tribute to the Greatest Writer of the Science Fiction Golden Age
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #51
quote:
Originally written by Account Ability Impaction:

I've run out of inspiration. At this point I grasp at whatever floats into my brain!
—Alorael

Sounds like your filtration system is clogged. I'll have one of our friendly and knowledgeable servicemen come out to take a look at you right away. Please have your receipts handy.

quote:
Originally written by Spring:

Spring comes from a nickname my cousin, uncle and father gave me a couple of years ago. I was walking down the passage, and apparently my hair stuck up and bounced around.
Spring Sprang Sprung....Splat. What goes up must come down.

quote:
Originally written by Drew:

"Drew" is a shorter form of my first name. My original moniker was "Andrew Miller," and many people here still call me "AM."
I AM what I AM. (and U R what U R)

quote:
Originally written by Error:

When joining a different forum, it accepted none of the names I chose at first, ...Eventually, I shortened it to Error, and the name stuck.
I hope you have seen the error or your ways.

quote:
Originally written by Detta:

Detta is short for Bernadette. Bernadette Van Bergen
And the Dutch-ess award goes to Ms. Van Bergen, oh, and also the award for the most inscrutable website yet.

http://www.miniwaankerbot.com

quote:
Originally written by Zeviz:

My name is also semi-randomly made up. It started out as Russian translation of Latin root of my real name, but when I wrote it down in English alphabet, it looked hard to pronounce. So I played around with letters until I got something that looked symmetrical and easy to pronounce.
I’m sorry. I can only process two things at once, so this did not compute. Yesho-raz...Daitye menye, pohzahlista, kak vaz zovut? Ya dumayo shto eto ochen strannoye.

Just don’t call him Durak.

quote:
Originally written by LivingBreathingThinking:

Riibu
I like Riibu.

quote:
Originally written by chicho:

Why Chicho? Good question, my family and close friends call me like that since i was 2, god knows why, not even my mom does...
Maybe it’s the baby fat?

Gizmo...it’s a pretty cuddly name, all right

Oh, and I have a book for you...it’s “The Great Diamond Robbery” by Jules Argon. It’s a real gem. I think you’ll like it, that is, if you carat all.

quote:
Originally written by Archmage Mycroft:

Archmage Mycroft :)
What we have here is a character who lacks original thought, but has an overly-generous helping of delusions of grandeur. ;)

quote:
Originally written by ben ben:

ben ben
Because too much is never enough, and why have one when you can have two?

[This message sponsored by “101 Ways to Give Someone a Boot in the Behind” by Ben Dover.]

Ichshi...there’s something...FISHY...about your name, but it’s all Greek to me.

quote:
Originally written by King Evil:

I'm the only TM. Ever.
Oh thank heavens, because I only ordered one, and I do hate returning things. What’s your expiration date again?

quote:
Originally written by Archmage Alex:

I'm a fantasy nut (especially concerning magic/psionics/other mental powers) and my name is Alex. Pretty simple.

Remember, you ARE what you eat...so avoid all fruits and nuts.

quote:
Originally written by Archmage Alex:

quote:
Originally written by Synergy67:

If you ever take the Meyers-Briggs personality test, I'll bet you anything you'll have a great big "N" in there (iNtuitive).
Speaking of which, you fairly scream NF (iNtuitive Feeling). Are you?
Yeah. In fact, I’m screaming right now. My neighbors are calling the police. [ENFJ]

quote:
Originally written by King Evil:

aughaghaughuaguhuaguhuaghuaguhaughuaguhaugh

...was too long to use as a name. -_-

Reminds me a great moment in an Aeon Flux episode: the first person perspective sound of someone laughing at you while you are being riddled by automatic weapons fire. Not...entirely....inappropriate...now that I think about it. I’ll be sure to refer to you as “augh!” in honor of this epiphaniacal moment hereafter.

quote:
Originally written by mung:

he was one of the few monsters that could stand up to a high level party for a little while with no problem. That and the added fact that he's a red dude with no shirt could be interpreted as a plus, don't cha think?
I think you should have gone with “mung beetle”, but that’s just me. Oh, and...you know...they DO have this stuff called “sunblock” now. You should look into it.

quote:
Originally written by SupaNik:

my real name is Nikki, so that's the "Nik" bit. As for the "Supa", I think I was going for "super", but either spelled it wrong, or it was taken. And it sounded okay, so I kept it.
Good thinking. SupaNik is a SupaFly guy. Wait, you are a guy, right? I’m thinking ofa Belgian lass by the name of Nikki Van Lierop all of a sudden. She was in a naughty little music group called Lords of Acid.

quote:
Originally written by Nicothodes:

I got my name from the book The Merlin Conspiracy
I don’t know. I keep picturing some sort of exotic volcanic rock I want to saw in half.

Salmon, where do you live, dude? Bonnieville Dam, WA where they have the fish ladder or is it just a weird coincidence?

http://www.zinnware.com/Vacations/OregonWashington2001/ColumbiaGorge/pages/12-Bonnieville%20Dam.htm

I’ve used up my daily allotment of dots.

[ Friday, October 21, 2005 22:12: Message edited by: Synergy67 ]

--------------------
[Insert Signature Here]
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #52
You only have a certian amount now? Why, back in my day, we could use as many as we liked, and it only cost us a nikel.

--------------------
I'll put a Spring in your step.

Polaris
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #53
Yeah, but you had to walk barefoot in the snow uphill (both ways!) to get them back in your day.

--------------------
[Insert Signature Here]
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #54
It was easier to type "below" than "downstream from" and apparently more enigmatic. Given my innate ability to piss off "Andrea" and other locals, I feel it is best to remain slighty vague when speaking of my location. Of course those mods could pin it down more closely, and I've a vague idea that some other people here could even google earth me.

So, not at the damn dam, not even really near the dam at all, but I am below it. Sort of.

*this message sponsored by costco*
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #55
Cool. Nice to know you're a local. And you get bonus points (in the form of dots) for the pleasing alliteration of "Below Bonnieville." I approve.

The biggest salmon I ever caught was at Whidbey Island across the Sound from Point No Point (love that name)—a ten pound silver. I'm not going to win any awards with that. :P

P.S. Oh yeah, the mercifully intermittment Andrea. I imagine that he/she/it is probably the sort who would enjoy etching a few colorful words into one's lawn with battery acid if he/she/it had the chance.

[ Friday, October 21, 2005 22:36: Message edited by: Synergy67 ]

--------------------
[Insert Signature Here]
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #56
My biggest salmon was a 43cm, 2 pound salmon, caught on pilchard and 5 pound line. I think I was using a size 2 hook, but I can't remember correctly.

--------------------

Polaris
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #57
Biggest one I caught was about 35 pounds, but I was using a driftnet about 900' long and 30' deep. Biggest on conventional gear was about 32 pounds, caught in the ocean about 10 miles offshore.

Andrea, a "he", lives in one of the larger cities in the Northwest, and I've not seen anything to suggest he would vandalize. I just like not having people show up at the house. I get tired of digging holes in the ground and moving the wood pile.

*this message sponsored by O mykiss*
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #58
Yummy. At least I'm really good at pulling up the dogfish. I remember bottomfishing in the Sound when Mt. St. Helens blew...I could see that column of ash towering from 120 miles away.

I hate moving the woodpile around too. I've got this great thing I do with quicklime and Chlorox. Maybe we can trade recipes sometime...

[ Friday, October 21, 2005 23:28: Message edited by: Synergy67 ]

--------------------
[Insert Signature Here]
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #59
quote:
Originally written by Jumpin' Salmon:

Biggest on conventional gear was about 32 pounds, caught in the ocean about 10 miles offshore.
You see, the thing about that is, the boat I have is only for rivers. But thats ok. The nearest river is great, as the mouth of the river provides good podworms, and the bream, perch, salmon and mulloway there are usually 35cm.

--------------------

Polaris
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #60
Dude, the salmon are 12" long? What happens if you let them go out to the ocean to become adults? I gotta believe you are talking about trout, because even the trout here run upwards of 18". The netted fish was caught in the river (anyone in this area knows which river i mean) and you don't even need a boat. Just cast from shore.

*this message sponsored by the bpa*
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #61
No no, not trout. Salmon. The river is salt water for about 5 kms, and then is fresh water. The fresh water is where you get the trout, as I'm sure you know. And people don't really let the salmon go into the ocean, as we don't get them that often.

And yes, a lot of the time you can just cast off the shore, but some areas are inacessable without a boat.

EDIT: And the average trout is around the same size.

[ Friday, October 21, 2005 23:33: Message edited by: Spring ]

--------------------

Polaris
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #62
quote:
Originally written by Spring:

And people don't really let the salmon go into the ocean, as we don't get them that often.

The reason for the scarcity should be apparent.

*this message sponsored by :confused: *
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #63
Well, its not like there is a shortage in the river or ocean; there are 5000 salmon released into all major rivers around my city each year. And although the legal size is a mere 21cm, in general people don't take them until they are at least 30cm.

--------------------

Polaris
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #64
This is the most recent report. It is about 10% of what is currently possible in the river, and about 1% of what would be here without the damns.

*this message overfunded by the usace*
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #65
-17? How is that possible? And how big is the area of Bonneville, with 4057484 Shad?

--------------------

Polaris
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #66
Fish moving against the current count more than fish moving with the current.

Shad are little fish, 12-18", that could be compared to rabbits in your area. We don't want 'em, they breed ... quickly, but they make good crab bait and are a fun fight on light gear. I know guys that freeze 2-300 pounds a year to use for crab.

*this message sponsored by warrenton crabpot company*
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #67
2-300 pounds? Thats a lot. Do they use it for berley at all?

--------------------

Polaris
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #68
Chumming is illegal here for everything except pelagic species.

*this message sponsored by serta*
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #69
quote:
Originally written by Jumpin' Salmon:

I've a vague idea that some other people here could even google earth me.
*Orbital weapons platform armed.* :P

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #70
O please Aran! Can I push the "launch" button? Please please please please!?

--------------------
Thralni's almighty Avernum pages: My webpage, containing scenario's and graphics made by me (And maybe someday the homepage of the almighty chicken gods).

Click here for more information on Olga's fortune teller kiosk

Olga's fortune teller kiosk has been temporarily closed down, but you can contact the prophet with a PM - Was signed by the prophet of the almighty chicken gods, gods of everything that is a chicken.

Work has begun on the Nephilian grammar and vocabulary guide!
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #71
quote:
Originally written by Thralni, emperor of Riverrod:

O please Aran! Can I push the "launch" button? Please please please please!?
I'm Aran's stalker, and as such, I should be allowed to help him in His Most Noble Mission to date. Live with it! :P

quote:
Originally written by Synergy67:

Good thinking. SupaNik is a SupaFly guy. Wait, you are a guy, right? I’m thinking ofa Belgian lass by the name of Nikki Van Lierop all of a sudden. She was in a naughty little music group called Lords of Acid.

Well, I am a guy, yes. The jury was out for a while, but inevitably, the evidence spoke for itself...

As for the whole fish-thing, I'm woefully inexperienced in the whole matter, so I won't add anything of value. Except of course, this rather lame joke...

What did the fish say when he swam into a wall?

"Damn".

Feel free to laugh whenever you want.

--------------------
"I am a living sign..."

Thus endeth this post.
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #72
Actually....that did draw a chuckle from me. While it is pathetic, I still laughed.

--------------------

Polaris
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #73
We caught about a 20-pound salmon last weekend with my grandpa. And 5 crabs. Good stuff.

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
Mongolian Barbeque
Member # 1528
Profile #74
In another fifteen years, the Russian Oceanographic Survey will clearly show that there's no more life in the sea. And we'll be eating each other.

--------------------
The A.E. van Vogt Information Site
My Tribute to the Greatest Writer of the Science Fiction Golden Age

Pages