Peter Jennings has died

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Peter Jennings has died
Lifecrafter
Member # 3320
Profile #0
I knew about this last night already, but I just thought others might like to know if they haven't heard yet.

Peter Jennings was a news anchor for ABC World News for 22 years. He died of Lung Cancer. 1938 - 2005

--------------------
"Keep your wits about you, the game is afoot!!" - Sherlock Holmes

Gay Christian Network
The Polaris Board
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #1
Never heard of him. But my condolences to all affected.

--------------------
Mugglenet--The ULTIMATE Harry Potter Site.
Polaris-- New location.
Agent
Member # 3349
Profile Homepage #2
Very sad.

--------------------
And everybody say....Yatta!
Infiltrator
Member # 5785
Profile #3
Don't care.

--------------------
"..The seventh wave of Thrall stumbled and climbed over the slippery, piled dead and Mazzarin saw The Watcher with them and at last knew the number of his days."
Shock Trooper
Member # 6102
Profile #4
How could you not have heard of Peter Jennings? He's only one of the best journalists that revolutionized the field of broadcasting journalism. His father was one of the original pioneers for CBN, or Canadian Broadcasting News.

Though his death was quite sudden at his apartment last night, it was mainly caused by lung cancer. He smoked a lot during his younger years and perhaps that was his health downfall.

There's an old saying in the news, "People give you what they want you to see in the news. It simply is a medium to mask the facts from the lies."

Edit Post 1: On second thought, I forgot that many of you come from foreign lands apart from America, so it would make sense to those that "do not care" or have simply never heard of Peter Jennings. (Hence the news channel, ABC - American Broadcasting Channel)

Edit Post 2: Is ABC News broadcasted around the world? Just curious.

[ Monday, August 08, 2005 14:49: Message edited by: Jeros ]

--------------------
"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies in the heart of mankind." -Edward D. Morrison
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #5
I don't usually watch ABC, but I've seen him a time or two. My condolences.

--------------------
Nena
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00
Agent
Member # 5814
Profile #6
My dad mentioned it yesterday. I didn't really take an interest in the subject.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #7
Peter Jenning's contribution to a nationwide news broadcast was the inclusion of foreign news. He demanded that his broadcast include news on famines, regional strife, wars, and natural disasters, and often he was the lead reporter on that crisis. He perhaps understood that "news around america" was only part of the story, and it to his credit that I take more than a passing interest on events around the globe.

To say "you don't care" implies that you know all of this and are unmoved by the contributions and open-mindedness of the man, or that you personally disapprove of the subject matter of the thread. I can't fathom how such a contribution serves anyone.

*this message offers condolences to Peter's wife and two children*
Shock Trooper
Member # 6102
Profile #8
I have to agree with Jumpin' Salmon on this. The one thing I liked about Peter was that he reported more than one viewpoint on a story and wasn't bias towards one side. 9/11 is probably a good example for this. He covered 25 hours straight, on television, of the whole incident, more than any other reporter, and got interviews with different people and their issue from of terrorism, from the American people themselves, to foreigners, to even Arab Americans and how their lives would be changed forever.

Peter was a good family man, and even was a goof ball at times. He took everyone's opinions seriously, even children and their views of the world. My deepest condolences go out to the Jennings' family. A great man, a great journalist, forever remembered.

Edit: Minor typos

[ Monday, August 08, 2005 19:48: Message edited by: Jeros ]

--------------------
"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies in the heart of mankind." -Edward D. Morrison
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #9
I'm very sorry for everyone who was related to him.

I don't know him. In Europe we don't get ABC news. i don't know why, but we don't have any american broadcasting thingies here (darn, hwo do you call these things?).

--------------------
Thralni's almighty Avernum pages: My webpage, containing scenario's and graphics made by me (And maybe someday the homepage of the almighty chicken gods).

Click here for more information on Olga's fortune teller kiosk

Olga's fortune teller kiosk has been temporarily closed down, but you can contact the prophet with a PM - Was signed by the prophet of the almighty chicken gods, gods of everything that is a chicken.
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #10
I saw the little clip on him yesterday on NBC Nightly News, but hadn't heard of him before that because I've practically never watched ABC.

Sounded like a good guy, though, and also a testament to never take up smoking.

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #11
He was a great guy.

For me, he's one of those people you think should always be around. I was quite saddened...

--------------------
The critics agree!

Demonslayer is "a five star hit!" raves TIMES Weekly!

"I've never heard such thoughtful comments. This man is a genious!" says two-time Nobel Prize winning physicist Erwin Rasputin!
Posts: 1582 | Registered: Wednesday, November 13 2002 08:00
Guardian
Member # 3521
Profile #12
He was all class and a natural at his profession. They just don't make 'em like Peter Jennings any more. It's a damn shame that he had to go before his time.

--------------------
Stughalf

"Delusion arises from anger. The mind is bewildered by delusion. Reasoning is destroyed when the mind is bewildered. One falls down when reasoning is destroyed."- The Bhagavad Gita.
Shock Trooper
Member # 6068
Profile #13
God bless you for all you've done, Peter. :)

Requiescat In Pace

--------------------
"Sometimes I get all hungry!
And then I catch some flies!
They fly into my webs!
They are really yummy guys!"
-Spider
Agent
Member # 5814
Profile #14
quote:
Originally written by Jumpin' Salmon:

To say "you don't care" implies that you know all of this and are unmoved by the contributions and open-mindedness of the man, or that you personally disapprove of the subject matter of the thread. I can't fathom how such a contribution serves anyone.

Or to say, "I don't care" might simply mean the speaker is confident that someone else would've widened the U.S.'s scope of news coverage to other areas, or they already followed news from other areas before Peter Jennings retired, or they aren't really interested in news in other areas.

And to post in this thread saying you don't care might possibly help the viewers because if someone's wondering whether many other posters knew before this thread started, those comments would assist.