We Are Not Alone

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: We Are Not Alone
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #0
I was just searching for an old RP that might have been saved in the Google Cache, when I found this.

The Avernum RP

I began to read, and it was all so familiar! Isn't it comforting to think that, in some distant place on the web, completely different people organize a roleplay that happens to be set in the same world, and it is so similar to the ones we have here (admittedly the less good ones)? :D

[ Wednesday, August 03, 2005 05:18: Message edited by: Aranfoolcaytar ]

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"Really, Spiderweb is just a big, steaming pool of estrogen." --- Robin
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #1
It sure is! What do you think, is it set up by people who know the game, or is it a total coincidence.

--------------------
Thralni's almighty Avernum pages: My webpage, containing scenario's and graphics made by me (And maybe someday the homepage of the almighty chicken gods).

Click here for more information on Olga's fortune teller kiosk

Olga's fortune teller kiosk has been temporarily closed down, but you can contact the prophet with a PM - Was signed by the prophet of the almighty chicken gods, gods of everything that is a chicken.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #2
Of course they know the game - that's why it's set in the game world! ;) But what I found funny was the way the style was so familiar that I immediately thought of the old classics: New Silvar Inn in all its incarnations, the Sands of Time, etc...

--------------------
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #3
Well, you never know. Do you know for example that the name "Avernum" actually decends from Greek mytholigy? It comes from Orpheus and Eurydice. There is a passage, saying they climed out of the "Avernus."

--------------------
Thralni's almighty Avernum pages: My webpage, containing scenario's and graphics made by me (And maybe someday the homepage of the almighty chicken gods).

Click here for more information on Olga's fortune teller kiosk

Olga's fortune teller kiosk has been temporarily closed down, but you can contact the prophet with a PM - Was signed by the prophet of the almighty chicken gods, gods of everything that is a chicken.
Apprentice
Member # 6001
Profile #4
Avernus was the door to the underworld and it's still a lake in Italy near Naples.

--------------------
* add anything meaningful here
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #5
The game, in fact, is named after the ancient name for the Underworld. But the fact that the city of "Formello" is involved makes me very certain that they are, in fact, referring to Jeff's game.

--------------------
Agent
Member # 1558
Profile #6
The first post mentions getting a map from SW.

--------------------
I'm tired of the strain and the pain ___ ___ ___ I feel the same, I feel nothing
Nothing is important to me ___ ___ ___ ___ __ And nobody nowhere understands anything
About me and all my dreams lost at sea ___ __ But we’re not the same, we’re different tonight
We’ll make things right, we’ll feel it all tonight _ The indescribable moments of your life tonight
The impossible is possible tonight ___ ____ ___ Believe in me as I believe in you, tonight

Go All Blacks xtraMSN Rugby _ MuggleNet
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #7
It is amuzing to see an Avernum RP on a random forum not affiliated with any Spidweb forums.

As for the similarity in style, what else would you expect from a forum-based RP in a fantasy game setting? :)

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #8
Maybe some of those people can come here. ;)

Or maybe they already have.

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #9
quote:
Originally written by stranger:

The first post mentions getting a map from SW.
Yes, that too. Even the Crystal Source is being linked to several posts down. Amazing - they use the same SW fansites we do, but nobody on this board has ever mentioned theirs, nor probably vice versa.

--------------------
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #10
I thought at first that this was some ancient thing from years back, but then I looked at the dates and realized that this happened only a couple months ago!

Anyway, I made a post, 'cuz I figured why not.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #11
Nice find, Aran. Nobody knew about this? I wonder if this'll result in a sudden influx of new members, some of whom already know how to RP...

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

Polaris = joy.

In case of emergency, break glass.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #12
I tried to register on their Invision Board, but it wouldn't let me - said my name was taken, but then said it didn't find my name when I tried to log in. Dumb thing. :rolleyes:

--------------------
Shock Trooper
Member # 6068
Profile #13
[ Wednesday, August 03, 2005 20:53: Message edited by: Chief Spider watching The Simpsons ]

--------------------
"Sometimes I get all hungry!
And then I catch some flies!
They fly into my webs!
They are really yummy guys!"
-Spider
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #14
quote:
Originally written by Aranfoolcaytar:

I tried to register on their Invision Board, but it wouldn't let me - said my name was taken, but then said it didn't find my name when I tried to log in. Dumb thing. :rolleyes:
And this is more trouble that you had with UBB? O_o :P

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
Guardian
Member # 2476
Profile #15
Kel, as you've registered there already, shouldn't we help that poor Brickman guy to play Exile on his WinXP? SkeleTony and Princess Ruth both have files that make the Exile Trilogy compatible with XP.

--------------------
Polaris
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #16
I gave my best attempt at an answer.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #17
They seem like a friendly bunch at least. I think I can get Exile to work on XP. I did some "tinkering" this morning. I'll post there in a minute...

{Oh, and for anyone wanting to know, right clicking the program and selecting to run in Compatability mode worked for me. (Oh, I chose Win95))

--------------------
Everybody knows, but nobody understands.

Thus endeth this post.
Agent
Member # 3349
Profile Homepage #18
I knew we weren't alone, I could just never find any formus alike ours.

--------------------
And everybody say....Yatta!
Infiltrator
Member # 6136
Profile #19
in that place says that exile games are free! is that true?in that case i really nedded more information, how stupid i am

--------------------
Death to my enemies!!
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #20
No. The Exile games are still shareware, and you still have to pay for them if you want to legally acquire the full version.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #21
quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

No. The Exile games are still shareware, and you still have to pay for them if you want to legally acquire the full version.
You also have the other option, which is to raid Jeff Vogel's house. But for that you'd need a small army. Or a nice cake to leave on the doorstep as a distraction.

I tried registering, but alas! It wouldn't let me!

{EDIT: on the forum!)

[ Saturday, August 06, 2005 06:06: Message edited by: SupaNik ]

--------------------
Everybody knows, but nobody understands.

Thus endeth this post.