Were we prepared?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Were we prepared?
Shaper
Member # 32
Profile #100
Indeed, I think they are all equally wrong... :P

--------------------
Lt. Sullust
Cogito Ergo Sum
Polaris
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #101
quote:
Originally written by Drakefyre:

What is so hard to grasp about the fact that Jews, Christians, and Muslims all worship the same God?
It's not that it's not graspable, it's that it's not acceptable. Accepting that faiths other than one's own share any common aspects is to concede some of one's authority on "truth," which isn't very comfortable for some people.

Really, it just amounts to politics. Well, politics and a fear of uncertainty.

[ Friday, July 22, 2005 05:22: Message edited by: Drew ]
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #102
The problem with talking about evidence for divine acts is that making wide enough allowances for the ability of omnipotence to hide itself undermines the whole notion of evidence. Logically the point is irreproachable; practically, it makes the whole discussion pointless.

Everything cuts both ways. A scriptural text that seems bizarre can be evidence that the Bible is unreliable, or evidence that it is undistorted by redaction. A story that seems to have a profound moral can be evidence of divine inspiration, or an indication that the story was invented to illustrate a point.

The only thing that seems unambiguous to me is wisdom. Unverifiable accounts of events are always open to doubt, but a profound idea is a profound idea. I have found some ideas I consider profound in the Bhagavad Gita, in the Koran, and in various secular and scientific texts; but to me there have been more in the Bible. Possibly that's just because I was raised to look for them there.

What constitutes a profound idea is of course pretty subjective; deciding that something is profound is already the next thing to religious faith. To me it seems to be more an exercise in pattern recognition than in logic.

Jesus himself addressed these issues, it seems, because the NT gospels frequently record him complaining about people's demand for miracles as demonstrations of authority. They consistently show him as a very reluctant miracle-worker, who seems to have felt that miracles were a great obstacle to real faith.

--------------------
It is not enough to discover how things seem to seem. We must discover how things really seem.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #103
How amusing. The bible is about how to live. Ordinary people may look for divine acts, but are ordinary and thus may be inspired by miracles but mostly are not going to do them. There is an overwhelming focus on whether a person believes in x or y, rather than lives by what the bible, etc. teaches. Thus, you get many people who believe in the bible, but cannot live even remotely by what it teaches.

Somehow, a person is going to be saved by believing in Jesus or God, or something else and think they have a free lunch card which says I believe in this so I can do anything I want. Very few people can make the bible alive and live by it. I admire those who can, because it takes tremendous discipline.

--------------------
Wasting your time and mine looking for a good laugh.

Star Bright, Star Light, Oh I Wish I May, I Wish Might, Wish For One Star Tonight.
Infiltrator
Member # 4248
Profile #104
I would have much to say to this topic, but sadly I'm not good enough in english to express my thoughts :( .

... but I can write it in finnish if you want to :P .

--------------------
Somebody PLEASE turn the heat on.
Apprentice
Member # 6009
Profile #105
Here's an article with a modern archaeological take on the old testament. Just thought I'd throw it into the melting pot of conversation going on here.
link
It's long, but goes into reasonable detail. I'm slightly uncertain as to exactly how many archaeologists are in agreement on the subject, but I find it's certainly an interesting and worthwhile read.
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #106
quote:
Originally written by Frozen Feet:

I would have much to say to this topic, but sadly I'm not good enough in english to express my thoughts :( .

... but I can write it in finnish if you want to :P .

Go ahead if you want. I can always use something like this to get a pretty good idea of what you said.

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #107
quote:
Originally written by Drakefyre:

The majority of the Dead Sea Scrolls were written on animal skins, not parchment.
Drakey, you may want to look up what parchment is. Unless you meant that they were written on straight, untreated skin, which seems almost impossible.

Coronach: that's an interesting article. I know there is little agreement, though; I'd like to hear some of the other sides. The most damning point seems to be the silence of the Egyptian texts on the escape of the Jews — a major slave revolt (like the Spartacus one) would've dominated any records the Egyptians kept during that time. And it's pretty rare for a whole group of slaves to rise up and then run away; normally they try to overthrow the government (again, like Spartacus).

To anyone who can read the OT in Hebrew: is there any sense that the language comes from different time periods? Does it have more archaic and less archaic parts? Greek prior to the Hellenistic period can be localized in space and time pretty obviously based on minor linguistic differences, so I'm wondering if the Hebrew shows any plurality of dialect or if it was actually standardized at some point.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #108
Well, it seems that I have goofed, but I blame my source :P

Jews tend not to see the OT as how to live our lives, but the Talmud more fills that role for Chasids.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #109
I beg to differ. Jews do see the OT as the guide to life. Judaism is, if anything, an extremely legally focused religion. The letter of the law (or the Law, if you like) is paramount but easily circumvented; the spirit is left to the Talmud.

This isn't a good description at all, but now I can't think of a better way to say it.

—Alorael, who has no idea about the Old Testament's language(s). He believes it's mostly Hebrew with some Aramaic tossed in, but that could easily be after several hundred years of translation from full Aramaic or from something else entirely. Without original documents back that far, it's arguable whether anyone knows.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #110
Oh, speaking of which: the most reliable estimates I've heard put most of the Dead Sea scrolls at 1st c. AD. A few will push it back as far as 1st c. BC or slightly earlier, but middle of the third century BC is unlikely.

This in response to Gizmo's statement a while back. It seemed wrong at the time, but I wasn't able to dredge up a memory of the actual date until just now. (Wikipedia's page on them says something to this effect.)

EDIT: Oh, and another thing: it's not so much the copying errors between whenever gospels were finalized in the second half of the first century or the first half of the second that are troubling. It's the process of revision that could have gone on between the events in the 20's and 30's and the final written versions in the 80's, 90's, or later. Similarly for the OT, except much, much earlier.

Accidental revision is not the issue nearly as much as deliberate revision.

[ Friday, July 22, 2005 12:41: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #111
Kel, I have a whole textbook about history and the Hebrew Bible, so I can look up details for you when I get home. If I remember correctly, various books of it supposedly were compiled between 700BC and 200BC. However, there were different versions (based on local variations in legends) in different regions and the Torah as we have it today became the only authorized version only with the start of rabinic Jewdaism in 1st century AD.

PS to clarify what Alorael said, all branches of Jewdaism hold Tanach (Old Testament) as the sourse of all their laws. However, interpretations differ widely and you can get anything from ultra-Orthodox who don't use electricity on Saturday to Reconstructionists who allow gay marriage all based on different interpretation of the same text.

EDIT: Here is the quote from the textbook. I think this is what you were asking about:
quote:
The literary history of the Hebrew Bible is divisible into three partially overlapping phases:

1. The stage of the formation of the separate literary units, oral and written, that eventually became a part of the Hebrew Bible, from about 1200 B.C.E. to 100 B.C.E.

2. The stage of the final formation of the Hebrew Bible as an authoritative collection of writing in three parts (Law, Prophets, Writings), beginning ca. 400 B.C.E. with the Law as the kernel, later supplemented by the Prophets, and culminating ca. 90 C.E. with delimitation of the boundaries of the Writings.

3. The stage of the preservation and transmission of the Hebrew Bible, both in the original tongue and in translations into other languages, which involved two phases:
a. The period when the finalization of the contents of the Hebrew Bible was still in process, ca. 400 B.C.E. to 90 C.E.
b. The period when the Hebrew Bible had reached definitive form, from 90 C.E. to the present.
If you want to read the whole book, it's "The Hebrew Bible, A Socio-Literary Introduction" by Norman K. Gottwald.

PS According to this book, Dead Sea scrolls were written during the period from 150 B.C.E. to 70 C.E.

[ Friday, July 22, 2005 17:48: Message edited by: Zeviz ]

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #112
quote:
Originally written by Electorael:

I beg to differ. Jews do see the OT as the guide to life. Judaism is, if anything, an extremely legally focused religion. The letter of the law (or the Law, if you like) is paramount but easily circumvented; the spirit is left to the Talmud.

This isn't a good description at all, but now I can't think of a better way to say it.

—Alorael, who has no idea about the Old Testament's language(s). He believes it's mostly Hebrew with some Aramaic tossed in, but that could easily be after several hundred years of translation from full Aramaic or from something else entirely. Without original documents back that far, it's arguable whether anyone knows.

But only really Leviticus.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #113
Okay, yes. Jews mainly see the parts of the Old Testament that state rules to be obeyed as rules to be obeyed. The parts about history and dead people are seen more as descriptions of history and dead people, which can be very interesting, but tend not to be relevant unless your life revolves more than is usual around, say, leading your people out of bondage and into a new land.

—Alorael, who advises that you not let the rocks hit you on your way out and, for the love of God, don't hit the rocks on your way out!
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #114
But many of the rules of Leviticus were rules set for the Israelites back then. Nowadays, Jesus's death has done away with the need for constant sacrifices of animals and such.

--------------------
-ben4808

CSM Forums
RIFQ
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #115
Just to be on the safe side I continue to sacrifice animals. Just yesterday I got a phone call (new method of communicating with God) ordering me to sacrifice yet another goat in order to appease Posideon. Apparently goat blood calms the ocean waves.

This is three goats in three days, and the swells are still marching on shore. I am beginning to lose faith. Perhaps I need to step up the value of the sacrifice.

*this message sponsored by peta and the animal rescue league*
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #116
Maybe your goats had blemishes. This is apparently important.

--------------------
It is not enough to discover how things seem to seem. We must discover how things really seem.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #117
You didn't build a tall enough pyre, you must use cedar and oak and douse it with urns of red wine and the finest olive oil not to mention a little bit of salt. Don't forget to throw in a few potatoes wrapped in tin foil. The gods expect you to feast when you are done.

[ Sunday, July 24, 2005 07:45: Message edited by: I'll Steal Your Toast ]

--------------------

Star Bright, Star Light, Oh I Wish I May, I Wish Might, Wish For One Star Tonight.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #118
Also remember that the gods are a contrary bunch. Your sacrifice may just have reminded Poseidon tha you exist and that he doesn't like you. I suggest sacrificing to other gods too, just in case, and asking them to get in Poseidon's way.

—Alorael, who is positive that all of the rules of Leviticus were set out for the Jews way back when, and theologians have since decided than animal sacrifices are unnecessary anyway. Jesus' birth has absolutely no religious significance to the Jews, Chasidic and otherwise, for reasons that should be obvious even if you disagree.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #119
The goats were remarkably blemish free, but they definitely do NOT appreciate being shaved. The neighbors would have complained about the burnt hair smell though. I managed a smallish pyre, with cedar, oak, fir, maple, an old deck chair, and a small family of mice. The red wine was added, but I lack urns, perhaps jugs are good enough? I used extra virgin olive oil, because I know the gods liked their virgins.

To ignite it I used blasting caps and generous lengths of fuse, and after that failed to do anything but demolish the mice nest I resorted to naptha soaked incense cedar. Aside from humans, are there any other prefered animals to sacrifice? I'll do the lamb if I have to, but they are even worse about the shaving procedure.

After re-reading toast's experience-based knowledge, I realize I forgot to add potatoes. *#&@$. Well, I'll have to start all over again then. No wonder the swells keep getting bigger!

*this message sponsored the tuna carkers #64 - ilwaco division*
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #120
quote:
Originally written by Jumpin' Salmon:

... Aside from humans, are there any other prefered animals to sacrifice?...
Try a red heifer.

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #121
Horses are very popular, you get to ride them in the afterlife. Cows are good too. But, the best are squirrels-- they bring you your nuts.

[ Sunday, July 24, 2005 14:12: Message edited by: I'll Steal Your Toast ]

--------------------

Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #122
quote:
Originally written by Zeviz:

quote:
Originally written by Jumpin' Salmon:

... Aside from humans, are there any other prefered animals to sacrifice?...
Try a red heifer.

A young bull was mentioned quite a few times in Leviticus, and they don't have any wool.

--------------------
-ben4808

CSM Forums
RIFQ
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #123
It turns out I had already appeased Posideon. Unfortunately Loki had overheard the prayers and felt like having a little fun at my expense. The buoy data I had been accessing was being messed with, and today the ocean had 2 foot swells and no wind. Most unlike the forecast and "current" bouy data.

I can't sacrifice the bull until next month anyways, but it will happen. Until then I'll just have to gamble that Posideon remains happy and Loki doesn't tinker with the fuel gauge in the boat.

*this message sponsored by the coyote*
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #124
Maybe Posideon demands the sacrifice of your boat itself. Or for you to move to the highlands.

--------------------
-ben4808

CSM Forums
RIFQ

Pages