Were we prepared?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Were we prepared?
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #125
Poseidon probably wants you to go find some people who can't recognize oars. It's a thankless job, especially in an age where mass media make it extraodinarily difficult to find such people even five hundred miles away from any significant body of water.

Loki, on the other hand, is probably just messing with you. He does that. You could try to get help from another god, but at this point you really seem to have enough divine problems. Maybe you need to speak to a few devout atheists.

—Alorael, who doesn't know what to do about Posideon, though. Maybe he's just upset because his vowels scrambled. Maybe a scarifice would work better for that.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #126
Man, if you knew anything about appeasing the gods, you'd know that you have to take a cue from Agamemnon and sacrifice your firstborn daughter. No Iphigenia sacrifice, no calm seas and favorable winds. A no-brainer, really - just look out for the rage of your "Clytemnestra." And if you don't have a daughter yet? Get conceivin'! Those wine-dark seas aren't going to calm themselves...

Man, what would you all do without classical scholars around here to keep you in line? I shudder at the thought. :)

[ Monday, July 25, 2005 04:41: Message edited by: Drew ]
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #127
But you must also not forget to sacrifice at the crack of the rosy-fingered dawn, overlooking the sandy shores nearest to you.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Agent
Member # 3364
Profile Homepage #128
Sorry it took me so long, Kel. I had a very full weekend. Company came, had a birthday party and two weddings (well OK I didn't actually go to either wedding but I could have) Then there was a big thunderstorm and most of the town was without power for a day (some parts for two) due to downed trees (well OK so we were lucky and never lost power but it took time to go sightsee all the other downed trees and stop to watch the firemen work on a house hit by lightning).

Here's a more scientific listing of manuscripts.

Again focused on New Testament (which could have very well been originally written in Greek since Hebrew was a dying language only used for ritual religious ceremonies[I speculte]). I will still look for Old Testament stuff but it is not on the top of my todo list today.

--------------------
"Even the worst Terror from Hell can be transformed to a testimony from Heaven!" - Rev. David Wood 6\23\05

"Do all the good you can, by all the means you can, in all the ways you can, in all the places you can, at all the times you can, to all the people you can, as long as you ever can." - John Wesley
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #129
The New Testament was originally written in Greek.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #130
Thank you, Gizmo, that site seems much more academic. I'll take a more detailed look later.

The NT originals that we know of are in Greek, but there's some speculation that parts were written in Aramaic. Lots of people think that "sayings gospels" were floating around prior to the writing of any narrative, and it would make sense for those sayings — if they were even remotely genuine — to have started in the language that Jesus actually spoke.

Some people have tried to back-translate the gospels into Aramaic (which requires a fair amount of guesswork), and apparently, the sayings in John actually back-translate fairly well, according to one book I read.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #131
Then there are the apocryphal gospels. These are cool. Well, there are two kinds of apocryphal gospels, and one kind is cool. The later, medievalish ones, where Jesus does all kinds of wacky miracles as a kid, are very hokey. The more ancient ones, that might actually be contemporary with the canonical gospels, are instead a bit spooky. The only one I know at all, which I think is one of the longest and best authenticated ones, is the 'Secret Gospel of Thomas'. It is a 'sayings' gospel, in that it records no action but just lists things Jesus is supposed to have said. Most of them are familiar sayings from the canonical gospels, some of them garbled; several are unrecognizably different in character; and one or two are novel, but have a sort of Jesus-ish ring.

I don't know anything much about the original Greek manuscripts of apocryphal gospels, but if you really want to understand the textual traditions, you probably need to include them.

[ Monday, July 25, 2005 14:19: Message edited by: Student of Trinity ]

--------------------
It is not enough to discover how things seem to seem. We must discover how things really seem.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00

Pages