Elections: The Registration Thread

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Elections: The Registration Thread
Infiltrator
Member # 5566
Profile #75
*requests form signs and hands in*

--------------------
Why are you reading this ?
Shock Trooper
Member # 3980
Profile Homepage #76
Salmon Sushi wrote
quote:
...but it is far easier to tell people to complain to someone that won't see my message. If I had pointed at you, then you may have pointed right back and blamed me for a sudden increase in mail. I prefer to remain out of the direct line of fyre, as it were.
*this message trembles all on its own*
Will this vote be secret or open?
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #77
Open.

EDIT: After the registration period ends, the primaries will begin. Personally, I think that candidates should not be allowed to vote for themselves in the primary stage.

[ Wednesday, June 22, 2005 06:47: Message edited by: Drakefyre ]

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #78
Register.

You get busy for a few days, turn around, and suddenly there's an outbreak of democracy. Yikes.

--------------------
It is not enough to discover how things seem to seem. We must discover how things really seem.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #79
Some members have raised the issue of an open/secret ballot. I understand the concerns, and I'm proposing that to vote in the primary, registered voters will email me their votes in the point system that Alec outlined.

To rehash:

Each voter has a number of votes equal to the number of candidates.

They may distribute those votes how they like among all candidates.

The candidates with the highest amount of votes will compete in a runoff.

[ Wednesday, June 22, 2005 08:40: Message edited by: Drakefyre ]

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
====
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #80
Just how will the runoff work? This would affect how I voted, since there is a lot to think about in assigning so many votes.

I can see this process being a lot more interesting than the result will be important.

Can we get some opinion polls circulating before the actual election? Another layer or two of feedback should make voting even more incomprehensible.

--------------------
It is not enough to discover how things seem to seem. We must discover how things really seem.
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #81
The runoff will be one vote per voter. The winner will be the winner, unless the percentages are so low that a final runoff between two candidates is necessary.

--------------------
====
====
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #82
But who gets into the runoff?

The goal in the first round will simply be to ensure that the right people get into the runoff. I will most want my first choice to be there, but if that seems assured, then I will try to get as many of my other preferred candidates in too, so that they will enjoy the prestige of having made the runoff.

Or I might deliberately throw all my first round votes to a candidate I don't want at all, in an effort to keep a stronger candidate out of the runoff so that my first choice will win the second round.

But then if everybody else is thinking this way, we'll end up electing a yellow caterpillar.

Perhaps we could make things even more inscrutable, for instance by having separate WBC, WBA and IBC elections, and then arguing about which is real?

--------------------
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #83
Alec said top 3 in the Elections? thread.

--------------------
====
====
Infiltrator
Member # 2836
Profile #84
I am SO late.
So I want to vote. Its only the 23rd so far...
Lifecrafter
Member # 585
Profile Homepage #85
I am voting, sir.

--------------------
Polaris Roleplaying and Debating Board- 'Nuf said
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #86
An update. Also recognized "Backwards Impaired" as the member formerly known as "The Red Book". If you want to be registered by your current name rather than this, please signify. ;)

Alec
Thuryl
Dolphin
MM
ADoS
ef
Sara
Lord Bob
Kingy
Sushi
Wise Man
Ben
Stug
wz. arsenic
stranger
FBM
Kel
VCH
Cairo Jim
Gizmo
The Red Book (aka Backwards impaired)
TM
kuc
Alorael
JadeWolf
Aran
Mind
Ash
Frozen Feet
Morgan
Khoth
spy.there
BtI
fifty-fifty
Arctic
Riibu
Diarog Lethuta
RC
TGM
Demented Munster
Spring
Dallerdin
AM
Nicothodes
fatman
Schrodinger
No 2 Methylphenidate
Saunders
Wizcozski
NaCN
Marlenny
Archmage Alex
Evil Tim
E-Master
Hawk King
Student of Trinity
Stew Boy
Logalot

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #87
I'm not actually running, Aran. I refuse to cede any autocratic power to democracy, and that makes running again redundant.

—Alorael, who thinks there may have to be some chad inspection on just who's in this thing. Perhaps a day or two for a final list to be assembled from all the candidates and then for all the candidates to correct errors would not go amiss.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #88
This is the list of voters. The list of candidates is in the locked thread. There are currently 25 candidates.

--------------------
====
====
Infiltrator
Member # 154
Profile #89

--------------------
Inconsistently backward.
SWOH. IM, PATF, ND.
Shaper
Member # 32
Profile #90
Reporting for duty...

--------------------
Lt. Sullust
Cogito Ergo Sum
Polaris
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #91
Almost forgot to register here.

*Registers to vote.*

*Registers again.*

*Registers again.*

Since I could have voted twice in the last presidential elections, I figure I should be able to vote at least 3 times here. :P

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #92
The primaries are by post-to-vote. The runoffs are by secret ballot.

(In the primaries, only the final votes count; it is possible to change your primary vote before the voting ends. This is vitally important for candidates who might want to throw their support to one another, based on which way the winds are blowing.

With 25 candidates running, the ability to form coalitions will be vital.

Oppose the runoff election, where you get 1 vote and it is final, and coalitionizing can't really happen because there's only 3 candidates.

I'm all for allowing candidates to vote for themselves in the primaries.

And that's all my suggestion. The election *is* in Drakey's hands from here on out, but that's what I had planned.

(If, for instance, I end up with too few votes to plausibly take 3rd in the primaries, I'd offer my primary votes to a friendly candidate closer to that spot than I. (Likely Stug, because I doubt Thuryl will need the help.))

[ Wednesday, June 22, 2005 15:54: Message edited by: George A. Custer & The SE Party ]

--------------------
The biggest, the baddest, and the fattest.
Post Navel Trauma ^_^
Member # 67
Profile Homepage #93
Alec, you've got it the wrong way round. It's the primaries that are a secret ballot.

--------------------
Barcoorah: I even did it to a big dorset ram.

desperance.net - Don't follow this link
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #94
What I'm saying is that there's no reason for them to be and plenty reason for them not to be; the primaries are more of a time for tinkering with the machinery and building coalitions than the runoffs, at which stage the lines have been clearly drawn and which side of the line any given voter stands on shouldn't be the public's business.

This is especially applicable considering that all candidates standing in the election seem also to be voting, and who they vote for besides themselves will be as much a political statement as any they make in pre-primary sloganry.

--------------------
The biggest, the baddest, and the fattest.
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #95
Several members, quite a significant percentage of the voting base, have expressed concerns about pressuring, vote manipulation, and a general sense of discomfort with having their choices out in public.

I think that it would not be a bad compromise for you to either have an 'exit polls' topic where people can post their votes if they wish, or where I could post a running total of votes.

--------------------
====
====
This Side Towards Enemy
Member # 3098
Profile #96
How would a secret ballot be carried out? It can hardly be done by a poll, since that removes the point of registration and makes it horribly easy to fix, and also prevents the splitting of one's vote that's been planned.

Personally, I'd be entirely happen with open voting. I can't see that anybody is going to single out a member just because they didn't vote for them and even if they do, they will be very hard pressed to find reasonable grounds. Besides, impossible degrees of scheming have always been part of Spidweb elections and at least one of them was not a complete trainwreck.

--------------------
Voice of Reasonable Morality
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #97
As I said in my earlier post, by email.

--------------------
====
====
Infiltrator
Member # 2104
Profile Homepage #98
I'll vote, because I was told to.

I'm a good boy and I do as I'm told.

--------------------
—Zxquez Zolohahni
I eat blueberries in pie square.
Xerch'de/Rate.
I miss you, but I haven't met you yet.
So special, but it hasn't happened yet.
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #99
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

For reference, this is the registration list so far (apologies to those who have better names that I have not recognized here):

TGM

I'll bet he'll be voting. No one has really been strict on keeping him banned. Welcome back TGM!

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ

Pages