Michael Jackson Walks free...

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Michael Jackson Walks free...
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #25
I've heard that if it was not a unanimous agreement of guilty ie. just one juror found him innocent, then he was innocent, by the principle of innocent until proven guilty.

Now I agree that you shouldn't just assume Jackson was guilty. Maybe he was not. But he's molested children before, and there were 10 counts against him. That's pretty good evidence really. But the jurors found him innocent, so either they had a good reason for that or a bad reason. That's all I'll say there.

Personally, I think he was guilty, and I think that's what the poll should have said - Guilty or Not Guilty: poeple voting accordingly to what they think.

But Michael Jackson walks free, and I'll bet that he'll be apt to change his perverse ways after a trial which had so much publicity. Next time it'll probably turn out different, if there is a next time.

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #26
I personally think he was guilty of at least some of that stuff. But come on... it's Michael Jackson. You can't lock that "da filthy" up.

Word.

--------------------
The critics agree!

Demonslayer is "a five star hit!" raves TIMES Weekly!

"I've never heard such thoughtful comments. This man is a genious!" says two-time Nobel Prize winning physicist Erwin Rasputin!
Posts: 1582 | Registered: Wednesday, November 13 2002 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 549
Profile #27
Comedians today are so uninsipired. After the innocent verdict in the MJ trial, all I hear on the late night shows are jokes making fun of the verdict. Instead, one of them should have said something like: "You know, the writers and I were convinced that they were going to find him guilty so we spent the whole weekend making Michael is guilty jokes. Now I know that Michael has been found innocent but I hate to see all these good jokes to go to waste so here they are..."
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #28
Jackson hasn't "molested children before." There have been allegations that he has molested children before. None of them even led to filed charges, as far as I can recall. The evidence then was even flimsier than it is now.

You're also confusing accusations with evidence again. Ten counts of molestation don't make any more probable than a single count. There evidence doesn't support ten, it doesn't support five counts, and it doesn't support one.

The jurors had the best reason in the world: they were presented with the evidence and found it inconsistent, inconclusive, and insufficient to incarcerate a man for years.

—Alorael, who will point out that a civil suit has much less stringent requirements for evidence. It's likely that Jackson will end up paying for his alleged crimes whether or not he committed them. It's even quite possible that he'll settle just to get it all over with.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Lifecrafter
Member # 3171
Profile Homepage #29
I personally would say he's guilty but that's just opinion and I have no physical evidance.
However the judge said he was innocent so he's innocent. But from what I heard he may have to sell Neverland because of this whole thing which in my view isn't exactly fair. If it's decided he is innocent then why should he suffer for something that was not his choice?
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #30
quote:
Originally written by Kingy:

...why should he suffer for something that was not his choice?
Oh, the irony!!

--------------------
The critics agree!

Demonslayer is "a five star hit!" raves TIMES Weekly!

"I've never heard such thoughtful comments. This man is a genious!" says two-time Nobel Prize winning physicist Erwin Rasputin!
Posts: 1582 | Registered: Wednesday, November 13 2002 08:00
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #31
quote:
Originally written by Unpleasantness for its Own Sake:

If 12 men and women, competent to make a fair decision based on the facts presented to them, can agree that he's not guilty of the crimes of which he is accused, then he is not guilty. Unless you can think of a reasonable argument why your prejudices trumps the entire corpus of law, might I advise that you adopt rationality?
Not to mention the fact that the average poster here knows next to jack about Jackson, whereas the 12 men and women of the jury sat through months of testimony against and for him.

My personal opinion has always been that Michael Jackson is innocent. He clearly has a mental problem and ought to be put in a hospital, but I seriously doubt he would molest a child. He's a man-child, basically, and I don't doubt that he's had little boys in his bed, but I seriously doubt he molested any which might have been there.

The last twenty years of Jackson's life have been spent in pursuit of a boyhood he never had, a family life he never had, and a father-son dynamic he never had. He was on the spotlight from a young age; whatever monster he is is a monster society created, and that society turning around to beat on him more after he's been vindicated in court is savage and terrible.

My opinion on the man: he needs serious psychological help, but not because he's a danger to anyone. Because he's a miserable person with a gaping void in his soul and he will never be happy until he can find a way to fill it.

--------------------
The biggest, the baddest, and the fattest.
Apprentice
Member # 5368
Profile #32
He will probably have to double his number of bodyguards after this. I can see quite a number of parents digging out their old hunting rifles.

Though any parent who lets their kid hang out with Jackson just doesn't have the sense necessary to drive, much less be a mother or father.
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #33
quote:
Originally written by BF7:

I've heard that if it was not a unanimous agreement of guilty ie. just one juror found him innocent, then he was innocent, by the principle of innocent until proven guilty.
From my (limited) knowledge of the US legal system, in the case of a deadlocked jury, I believe a mistrial is declared and they can do the whole thing all over again.

I expected the guy to be found guilty, but the jury are obviously in a much, much better position to decide than I am.

[ Tuesday, June 14, 2005 20:57: Message edited by: Ash Lael ]

--------------------
Sex is easier than love.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #34
Ash - You mentioned your disgust for the media frenzy over this "case" and just now your expectation of guilt. I would humbly suggest that the media itself is responsible for that expectation. I have seen very little in the way of sympathetic MJ stories, not that I pay any attention to it.
Its the same thing as the Dupres fellow and the grim picture that the media distributes. Give us (the public) one side of the story that allows us to feel better about ourselves as the result of one persons misfortune. When I think about all the kidnap or missing person stories, the picture is rarely of the person drunk in a bar, its some high school portrait or such. Luckily, things like this are limited to media broadcast to distant areas. The folks that are actually involved in the events have a better idea of what happened. In the end though, I regularly find myself not really caring about the news.

Edit - Removed any hint of implications

[ Tuesday, June 14, 2005 22:22: Message edited by: Smoked Salmon ]
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #35
I'd say it was less the media frenzy and more the fact that he's a freaking wierdo who has changed his skin color, dangled his own child out a window, and freely admits to sharing a bed with young boys. Someone accuses a guy like that of being a child molester, and I think "Yeah, I wouldn't be suprised."

Not sure what you're implying with your last sentence. In any event, we don't run our own newsroom, so it's probably beside the point.

[ Tuesday, June 14, 2005 22:09: Message edited by: Ash Lael ]

--------------------
Sex is easier than love.
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #36
Guilty. I think he should be sent to jail.

BTW, if there are any Aussies here who watch the show Rove Live, they should of watched it last night. Peter Helliar 'interviewed' Michael Jackson.

--------------------
I'll put a Spring in your step.

Polaris
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #37
The jurors were unanimous in their "not guilty" findings.
Shaper
Member # 32
Profile #38
He is not responsible for his change in skin color. It's actually a medical condition called Vitiligo.

--------------------
Lt. Sullust
Cogito Ergo Sum
Polaris
Agent
Member # 618
Profile Homepage #39
To be frank, it might have been less damaging to him, if he had been found guilty, with less of a media frenzy. Not only have they ripped open his financial accounts and heavily pryed into his private life, but they've created a spectacle over this and caused, to an extent, more hatred to him, in their portrayal of it all.

--------------------
Aut Tace Aut Loquere Meliora Silencio
Shaper
Member # 32
Profile #40
I don't think the trial will have any impact at all, save making him slightly more mature than he was before. Those who liked him before still like him; those who didn't like him before still don't like him.

Perhaps the only difference would be that those 14 doves wouldn't have been released and the mob of fans would've gone a riot if he was convicted of any of the counts.

--------------------
Lt. Sullust
Cogito Ergo Sum
Polaris
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #41
There were ambulances outside of the courtroom ready to rush any attempted suicides to the hospital if Jackson was found guilty.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #42
And there is nothing deeply, tragically wrong with American society these days.
:(
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #43
Maybe so, but I don't think it's anything that isn't wrong with the rest of the world as well. But what can you do? Turning off the TV is a good start.

[ Wednesday, June 15, 2005 09:34: Message edited by: Drew ]
Apprentice
Member # 5881
Profile #44
Are we all forgetting what the media done for Agent Deepthroat during the Nixon-White House Scandal?
Agent
Member # 618
Profile Homepage #45
The media are more of a necessary evil, I guess. While they have the power and will to portray a certain set of events, pulling the general public's opinion one way or another, which is not well-placed, in light that they are there for the ratings, rather than the accurate, unbiased truth. However, without the media, the general public would remain even more ignorant than they usually are. Which, I guess, just might not be such a bad thing, after all.

--------------------
Aut Tace Aut Loquere Meliora Silencio
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #46
Yeah, the media is getting bad about these things. Like that Natalie girl in Aruba. Who really cares? Terry Schaivo. Why such a big deal? Michael Jackson trial. Only covers because of his fame. But anything that can generate even a mote of public appeal is on the media.

Anyway, end of complaining for me, I guess.

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #47
Having a large news media, despite the problems it presents, is preferable to a society where everyone gets their news from their propagandist of choice, be it Al Franken or Bill O'Reilly.

Also, the Terry Schiavo case was important for many political and legal reasons, most not regarding the husband's actions, but those of Congressmen.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #48
Parker + Stone did a Schiavo episode of South Park last night. When Kenny (of course it was Kenny) finally died they read his Will. First item of business was that he did not want to be seen on national television as a vegetable.

Ooops.
Agent
Member # 5814
Profile #49
The media: They exist to sell their airtime. To do that, they have to find controversial stories so people like me can go and talk about them.

The courts: Okay, you have two entties who you know are trying to lie to you. Why would you trust either?

The evidence: A hundred counts of similar crimes are not enough to convict. Though they may make it highly likely that at least one of them isn't lying, it is also far from impossible that they are simply copying each other.

This whole thread: It only increases the amount of jank about Michael Jackson. And it's useless. No one's mind is going to change, and Michael Jackson's personal life is not your concern anyway. Michael Jackson doesn't talk about you behind his back.

Terry Schiavo and Friends: If someone is going to die and no one will or does care, let them die. But if someone would care that a person died and has the means to keep them alive, let them live.

--------------------
I HAVE LOCATED MY CAPS LOCK KEY AND FEEL YOU SHOULD KNOW THAT!

Pages