What are you addicted to?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: What are you addicted to?
Infiltrator
Member # 5567
Profile Homepage #25
Chocolate.
The Spiderweb Software message boards.
Computers.
Chips.
Fanta (a sort of orangeade).

--------------------
How many shapers are there?
Why is Drypeak controlled by Zakary?
Why is Barzahl a Guardian?
How does the Geneforge work?
What's as small as nothing?
Why am I asking stupid questions?
--------------------------------
Shaper teacher : "DON'T TOUCH THAT!"
BOOM!!
apprentice :*little voice* "Sorry..."
---------------------------
Visit CSM !!! And this site is just great! Wow! Did you know what the answer to the gretest question ever is ?
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #26
quote:
Originally written by if moniker == dall OR din:

Uh... water only has one oxygen. Hence, it cannot be reffered (sp?) to by hydrogen dioxide.
Which is what I was trying to say. Clearly I need to be more verbose for the benefit of ignorami.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Infiltrator
Member # 5567
Profile Homepage #27
I just noticed TM is Canned. What did he do?

--------------------
BOOM!!
Visit CSM !!! And this site is just great! Wow! Did you know what the answer to the gretest question ever is ?
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #28
What didn't he do?

--------------------
I stop rubber at 160km/h, five times a week.
CANUCKS
RESPEK!
My Style
The Knight Between Posts.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #29
I believe it may have to do with image spamming RWG.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Lifecrafter
Member # 4682
Profile #30
Chocolate
Computers
D&D
Sushi

--------------------
If anyone ever asks you why you did something, say "Because I could".
Infiltrator
Member # 4248
Profile #31
Life in general.

--------------------
Somebody PLEASE turn the heat on.
Shaper
Member # 32
Profile #32
gambling

--------------------
Lt. Sullust
Cogito Ergo Sum
Polaris
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #33
Since "ignoramus" is a verb in Latin — it means "we don't know" — the correct plural should not be "ignorami". As used in English, this word is actually a reference to a 1615 play, in which it is the name of a very ignorant character. So "ignoramuses" is the most reasonable plural form, and arguably the only correct one.

[Okay, I didn't know this myself until just now; all I actually knew is that naive Latin and Greek plurals are often wrong, so there might be a chance to see Thuryl hoist with his own petard. And as it turns out, paydirt.]

--------------------
It is not enough to discover how things seem to seem. We must discover how things really seem.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #34
I was mildly expecting the plural to be incorrect, although I thought Kelandon would be the one to correct me if anyone. Well played.

At least I know better than to say "octopi".

EDIT: M-W says "ignorami" is OK as a plural. The OED doesn't mention it, though.

[ Wednesday, June 08, 2005 16:12: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
BANNED
Member # 2385
Profile Homepage #35
Crack.

jk.

If I had to say anything, it would definitely be 7-up, oreos, skateboarding, and last but not least, computer.

w00t. 400 posts.

IMAGE(http://www.csr.umd.edu/csrpage/people/scientist/sharma.gif)

[ Wednesday, June 08, 2005 16:12: Message edited by: EM ]

--------------------
I am the apidimy of seven sausages.
The Abyss DEAD.
TEH EVOL STRAWBERY When fruit fights back.
End of World We're definitely going to blow ourselves up.
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #36
Heh, what a twisted, manipulated, all true website about a dangerous chemical known as dihydrogen monoxide. :/

And to think I've been drinking the stuff all my life. What was I thinking? :P

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #37
The internet. During examination week and revision, usually large amounts of licorice (spelling?). Helps to keep one awake.

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #38
Yes, the spelling is right, although it doesn't really look it. I've found that licorice makes me tired, not energetic. I am obsessed with milo, thats good.

--------------------
I'll put a Spring in your step.

Polaris
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #39
Black licorice or red licorice? I'm not fond of black licorice at all, though strangely, I like fennel.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #40
Never seen red licorice. Probably the black kind, and usually with a salt coating. (Note: This is referring to licorice extract, not the plant. Ie, the kind you buy in candy stores.)

Oh, and it does wake you up if you take enough, Spring. The salt coating and the glycyrrhizin do their part to raise blood pressure. So a packet of perhaps 250g or so (standard store size here), eaten all at once, should be enough to at least make you a bit nervous. Wikipedia

Actually, it can supposedly be addictive sometimes, but rather like chocolate can be.

[ Thursday, June 09, 2005 05:29: Message edited by: ATTN: ]

--------------------
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #41
Well, technically red licorice isn't licorice at all - it just takes the form of a licorice stick.
Infiltrator
Member # 5567
Profile Homepage #42
quote:
Originally written by VCH:

What didn't he do?
Good question. :D

[ Thursday, June 09, 2005 07:10: Message edited by: JadeWolf ]

--------------------
BOOM!!
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #43
quote:
Originally written by Andrew Miller:

Well, technically red licorice isn't licorice at all - it just takes the form of a licorice stick.
Most black licorice is hardly licorice either -- it's flavoured mainly with aniseed and only has a little actual licorice in it.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #44
Hey, what is this thing so many Europeans have for anise? It's the flavor of a whole lot of traditional liquors and sweets. I just don't see the attraction. It's not a horrible flavor, just not something I'd want to celebrate so much, you know?

My guess is that anise was one of the first non-horrible flavors that could be concentrated into strong-flavored food and drink. That doesn't make it the best.

And while I'm ranting about the European palate, why do so many Europeans think that hazelnut is a peer to chocolate? Again, it's fine stuff; but it's hardly chocolate. And these people do know chocolate, for Pete's sake.

If I had to restrict myself to all European or all American food and drink for the rest of my life, I'd go European in a heartbeat and never look back. It is the generally far superior level of quality in European comestibles that makes these few little quirks so puzzling to me.

--------------------
It is not enough to discover how things seem to seem. We must discover how things really seem.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #45
Wikipedia says the volatile oil of anise can be used to treat flatulence and colic in children. Seems like as good a reason as any to put it in sweets.

The popularity of anise in alcoholic drinks might be explained by the fact that such beverages turn opaque if watered down, telling drinkers something they'd probably like to know and would otherwise have trouble telling short of the fortuitous appearance of a trout.

[ Thursday, June 09, 2005 07:39: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Agent
Member # 3349
Profile Homepage #46
Mexican food and cheese.

--------------------
And everybody say....Yatta!
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #47
Yeah, the anise liquors do go cloudy if you add water. Thing is, that's how they're traditionally consumed, at least for the ones I've tried, so it's not a matter of detecting adulteration. And if the idea is to gauge the proportion of added water, I'd have thought taste would do just as well, regardless of the flavor; so why pick anise?

--------------------
Agent
Member # 4506
Profile Homepage #48
quote:
Originally written by JadeWolf:

quote:
Originally written by VCH:

What didn't he do?
Good question. :D

Well, he didn't ask for free registration codes. Unlike some of the little trolls we've been flooded with lately.

1 = A few
2 = A flood
3 = Genghis Khan's Horde
4 = Now we're in deep trouble
5 = Don't even go there!
6 = Terrors Martyr :D
7 = Abandon Ship!

- Archmagi Micael

--------------------
"You dare Trifle with Exile?" - Erika the Archmage
--------------------
My Scenarios:
Undead Valley : A small Undead problem, what could possibly go wrong?
--------------------
Proof of Richard Black's existance:
Richard Black - PROOF of his existance (the Infernal one's website).
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #49
quote:
Originally written by Student of Trinity:

Hey, what is this thing so many Europeans have for anise? It's the flavor of a whole lot of traditional liquors and sweets. I just don't see the attraction. It's not a horrible flavor, just not something I'd want to celebrate so much, you know?

My guess is that anise was one of the first non-horrible flavors that could be concentrated into strong-flavored food and drink. That doesn't make it the best.

And while I'm ranting about the European palate, why do so many Europeans think that hazelnut is a peer to chocolate? Again, it's fine stuff; but it's hardly chocolate. And these people do know chocolate, for Pete's sake.

If I had to restrict myself to all European or all American food and drink for the rest of my life, I'd go European in a heartbeat and never look back. It is the generally far superior level of quality in European comestibles that makes these few little quirks so puzzling to me.

The hazelnut addition to a lot of chocolate brands can be pretty annoying to anyone with allergies. My mother, for instance, has to watch quite carefully when buying any chocolate.

That said, anise is my absolute favorite flavor. Didn't think that was a European stereotype... but I prefer anise (and fennel as well, because it tastes similar) and licorice to pretty much all other kinds of candy.

Oh, and licorice isn't the weirdest thing Europe has come up with in the way of sweets. Look at Finland. They eat freaking balls and lozenges of Ammonium Chloride as candy!

--------------------

Pages