ever felt anyone envys you just because you are intelligent?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: ever felt anyone envys you just because you are intelligent?
Apprentice
Member # 5662
Profile #0
this a ****ing situation i have to deal daily
i can't stand when they start grudging at me for some stupid reason
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #1
People don't like to be shown that someone is more intelligent than them. If you're intelligent, you will swiftly learn to hide it, or at least shut up about it. Trust me, I've been through that. :P

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
Too Sexy for my Title
Member # 5654
Profile #2
I never had that problem. :( I wonder why?. Naw, seriously don't mind them. I think you should be yourself at all times and should not worry about what they think. You should be happy that you are intelligent, though you should be careful if you don't want to come off as snobbish or arrogant. Just be yourself and don't mind about the rest.
Warrior
Member # 5823
Profile #3
Society has drastically declined if you're considered intelligent.

Oh, and no. People like me. It's because I don't flaunt my intelligence or try to make them look stupid.
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #4
Nobody likes being told "I am smart and you are dumb."

Most people don't resent the fact that there might be an area in which you are better than them. (After all, there are some areas in which they are better than you.) What people do resent is being constantly reminded of their weaknesses. Just try not to "help" people when your help isn't wanted and not to sound condescending when you talk to them.

I've seen too many people who consider themselves vastly superior to everybody else just because they've read certain books, hold certain views, etc.

[ Thursday, June 02, 2005 13:48: Message edited by: Zeviz ]

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #5
quote:
Originally written by Mystery Man:

Society has drastically declined if you're considered intelligent.

Oh, and no. People like me. It's because I don't flaunt my intelligence or try to make them look stupid.

That's what I said. :P

It's not about being dishonest, it's just a little common courtesy. I don't yell out the measurements of my various organs in public, and when it comes to intelligence as a comparable value, it boils down to little more than that. ;)

--------------------
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
Skip to My Lou
Member # 40
Profile Homepage #6
Hmmm, sounds like something that might be said by some one with a short measurement. :P

--------------------
Take the Personality Test! INTJ 100% 75% 100% 44%
Huzzah for the Masterminds!
www.Keirsey.com for personality information.
The Sloganizer! "Swing your Archmage Alex."
Deep down, you wish you were a stick figure.
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #7
quote:
Originally written by imho:

this a ****ing situation i have to deal daily
i can't stand when they start grudging at me for some stupid reason

Quoted for emphasis.

--------------------
私のバラドですそしてころしたいいらればころす
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #8
What? That's another reason not to, AA.

Some people wonder why other people get intelligent. They should be smart too; they just don't like reading. There you go.

[ Thursday, June 02, 2005 15:40: Message edited by: 4.808 x 10^3 ]

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
Shock Trooper
Member # 4445
Profile #9
I simply remind people, when they seem jealous, that I have had to leave second period to turn off my car, which I left running, and that I've put food in the oven to warm it up, only to find half an hour later that I never turned it on. I'm good at abstract concepts and numbers; others are good at life. I haven't decided just where the advantage lies yet.
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #10
It's more fun to act dumb while actually being smart. Go to the parties have fun do stupid stuff then get an A isn't life great.

--------------------
I stop rubber at 160km/h, five times a week.
CANUCKS
RESPEK!
My Style
The Knight Between Posts.
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #11
I've found that at parties don't ask you about your intellignece or what marks you get at school, VCH.

I wouldn't worry about being mocked. I get it all the time and just ignore it. Or laugh at my friends when they come up with different things they think that I will invent when I am older.

--------------------
Mugglenet--The ULTIMATE Harry Potter Site.
Polaris-- New location.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #12
quote:
Originally written by VCH:

It's more fun to act dumb while actually being smart. Go to the parties have fun do stupid stuff then get an A isn't life great.
It's pretty frustrating for a smart person if someone else who he knows is smart pretends to be dumb. But not as infuriating as it is for a smart person if someone else who is dumb desperately tries to pretend to be smart.

AA, thanks for proving my point.

[ Friday, June 03, 2005 00:01: Message edited by: Arancaytar ]

--------------------
Shock Trooper
Member # 1207
Profile #13
Everyone knows I'm intelligent.
My better friends know I'm also very slow on the uptake, and say a lot of stupid things, though. One of my friends said that "for someone who doesn't say a lot, you talk a lot of ####!"

--------------------
ørangutan
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #14
quote:
Originally written by Jelly:

Everyone knows I'm intelligent.
My better friends know I'm also very slow on the uptake, and say a lot of stupid things, though. One of my friends said that "for someone who doesn't say a lot, you talk a lot of ####!"

Usually, not saying a lot is the first step to being taken for smart. I think the quote runs "Rather be silent and appear stupid than speak and remove all doubt."

Mh... perhaps by being silent one can actually achieve some sort of reputation for intelligence, if one nods sagely and makes wise sounds while listening to what others say. I gotta try that. :D

--------------------
Agent
Member # 3364
Profile Homepage #15
From my own experience, there are two good ways to deal with any rude comments.

A. Ignore - which works best in face to face situations where the person who said it knows that you heard it but knows that you really don't care.

B. Reply positively, whether in joke or agreement - if you reply positively it will seem, to the speaker at least, that no harm has been done even though his feelings of jealousy/inadequatecy have still been voiced. Greviances addressed in this way usually dissipate rapidly. It is also good to compliment others. Pointing out their good points makes your good points not a big deal.

Replying negatively is deffinately something to avoid. It will only stir the pot.

--------------------
"Even the worst Terror from Hell can be transformed to a testimony from Heaven!" - Rev. David Wood 6\23\05

"Do all the good you can, by all the means you can, in all the ways you can, in all the places you can, at all the times you can, to all the people you can, as long as you ever can." - John Wesley
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #16
I think the trick is not to act self-absorbed and arrogant. This sort of behavior, as opposed to how smart someone might (claim to) be, is likely the reason for mistreatment.
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #17
I have had the funny experience of finding, after some years working around a lot of undeniably brilliant people, that now I find very smart people everywhere. My suspicion is that I was forced to get into the habit of listening to people better, and expecting to be able to learn from them. And lo, this works wonders in general.

--------------------
It is not enough to discover how things seem to seem. We must discover how things really seem.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Skip to My Lou
Member # 40
Profile Homepage #18
*rolls eyes* The subtle cues that would show I'm trying to be funny seem to lost on the internet. Or perhaps it's the fact I'm not funny. :P

It's fun to have everyone think I'm smart. If people are jealous, though, they don't normally voice it to me.

--------------------
Take the Personality Test! INTJ 100% 75% 100% 44%
Huzzah for the Masterminds!
www.Keirsey.com for personality information.
The Sloganizer! "Swing your Archmage Alex."
Deep down, you wish you were a stick figure.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #19
quote:
Originally written by Andrew Miller:

I think the trick is not to act self-absorbed and arrogant. This sort of behavior, as opposed to how smart someone might (claim to) be, is likely the reason for mistreatment.
AM has got it right, as usual. ;)

--------------------
Master
Member # 1046
Profile Homepage #20
I used to think I was intelligent. Now I know I'm an idiot.

--------------------
Polaris - Weather balloons, ninjas, and your big daddy Wise Man. What more could you want?
Undead Theories - Don't Ask, Don't Tell
Infiltrator
Member # 5806
Profile Homepage #21
My old pales envied me alot for a while because I was constantly outwitting them. Also, I always told the truth and said what I thought... which means I pointed my finger on alot of things they have made or done that they could improve.

--------------------
So, as the great Groxy, I have come back to be served by goblins. In the "main hall" of the goblin cave was a large totem which resembled very much of... me.
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #22
I'm a very quiet person, and when I'm with groups I only speak when I have something relevant to say, and for that I'm typically thought of as intelligent. I am good with logic, so I often have insight into things that doesn't occur to those around me.

I had a friend a few years back that was very jealous of things about me that I just didn't see/care about. She always said, “you're so beautiful; I wish I has a figure like yours”, and “I wish I could be as intelligent as you are”. Someone praising you every time you are near them can feel odd after a while.

[ Friday, June 03, 2005 08:04: Message edited by: Dolphin ]

--------------------
Nena
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00
This Side Towards Enemy
Member # 3098
Profile #23
I think that one of the major problems Western society faces today is the belief that the rest of Western society is made up of morons. You can see it in the opening post to this thread, you can see it in the indignant everywhere, you can see it making TV still more unwatchable than it used to be, everywhere there is a sense of personal superiority. It's sad, because there's no denying that they have a point, they just don't realise that they are other people. I realise there's a degree of hypocrisy in this, but that's never been something that's bothered me and I can't think of a better way to return from a long absence than with an onrush of snideness.

On a more directly relevant note, respondingly jokingly is all very well, but that doesn't mean you always have to be entirely pleasant. I'm a firm believer that you should be exactly as personally offensive as you want to be. You shouldn't take it seriously, but proving you can take it does not entail not dealing it out. Obviously this doesn't apply if you're talking to someone who will beat seven different kinds of excrement out of you should you respond in kind.

--------------------
Voice of Reasonable Morality
Warrior
Member # 5699
Profile #24
I have never felt envied for my great intelligence, simply because my intelligence is not any greater than other peoples. I don't really envy people who are intelligent because I know that there are so many things just as or more important.

Pages