RPGs

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: RPGs
Shock Trooper
Member # 5585
Profile #0
I'm fairly certain the first RPG was Dungeons and Dragons, but does anyone know for sure if it was? Also, does anyone know what the first RPG for computer was?

--------------------
Important Information about Stuff
BANNED
Member # 3477
Profile #1
that information was probably lost since there was no internet back then and if anyone ever tried to put it online then they would be killed by a thousand screaming squirels with potatoes for having no life like waffle guy

--------------------
Avernum is as addictive as skribbane!!! Withdrawal symptoms are harsh so I just keep playing.
Free skribbane at Wal-mart
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #2
Chainmail by Gary Gygax was the precursor to Dungeons and Dragons. It was a game of medieval miniature warfare.

--------------------
Wasting your time and mine looking for a good laugh.

Star Bright, Star Light, Oh I Wish I May, I Wish Might, Wish For One Star Tonight.
Infiltrator
Member # 1092
Profile Homepage #3
How stoogie would that have been? I would of laid back laughin at it.

--------------------
When you think you can't get any lower in life and hit rock bottom, God hands you a shovel.

Following the rights movements
You clamped on with your iron fists
drugs being conviently available for all the kids

Minor drug offenders fill your prisons
You don't even flinch
All our takes paying
For your wars against the new non rich
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #4
As said already, that information would be practically impossible to find out.

If you wanted to put a tack on something, though, Chainmail or D&D would be your best bet there. As for PC game, Dungeons of Despair apears to be the concensous. Zork would be another good choice. Ultima may have been great, but not the first.

--------------------
The critics agree!

Demonslayer is "a five star hit!" raves TIMES Weekly!

"I've never heard such thoughtful comments. This man is a genious!" says two-time Nobel Prize winning physicist Erwin Rasputin!
Posts: 1582 | Registered: Wednesday, November 13 2002 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #5
It was probably one of the text-based games like Zork, although I think ADVENT (Colossal Cave Adventure) came first. Rogue was another early one, but I'm almost positive that ADVENT predates it.

Both of those could be termed adventures instead of RPGs, though, depending on your definition.

—Alorael, who believes Rogue holds the distinction of being the game under constant development for the longest time of any game (or maybe even any piece of software, though that's doubtful). He's not sure that Rogue itself is still altered without becoming a variant, but there are certainly plenty of derivatives being made and updated all the time.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #6
What really is D&D. I mean Iv heard of it. But I don't really understand the idea behind it there's some sort of board right and cards or something?

--------------------
I stop rubber at 160km/h, five times a week.
CANUCKS
RESPEK!
My Style
The Knight Between Posts.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #7
D&D is played variously by various people. In its most recent incarnation, there are essentially three manuals, some dice, and a whole host of other optional stuff, including miniatures.

A number of players (usually 4-6, I think) sit around and talk through a story together. One person (the DM) narrates the story, and the rest of the people control one character in the story. They describe their actions, and the DM tells them the consequences.

Usually this involves die-rolling and sometimes moving miniatures on a map. For more information, I refer you to Wizards of the Coast.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #8
Thanks Kelandon. That game looks so complicated. People actually play this for fun?

--------------------
CANUCKS
RESPEK!
My Style
Master
Member # 1046
Profile Homepage #9
I'm pretty sure it's for smart people, or at least patient people. Which is probably why I could never stand DnD.

[ Tuesday, March 15, 2005 19:57: Message edited by: Wise Man is quite the ]

--------------------
Polaris - Weather balloons, ninjas, and your big daddy Wise Man. What more could you want?
Undead Theories - Don't Ask, Don't Tell
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #10
I think this about sums it up.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #11
^ I can see that. What a stupid game.

--------------------
CANUCKS
RESPEK!
My Style
Agent
Member # 618
Profile Homepage #12
I lament those who have played many many rogue-likes, but never realised that there was an original Rogue.

Yes, those people exist and I met one, just the other day.

Rogue was a very fun game, though. My only gyp is when you've done spectacularly and you're going to take the high score and then bam, dead by an Ur-Vile.

--------------------
Aut Tace Aut Loquere Meliora Silencio
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #13
quote:
Originally written by Epimetheus:

I lament those who have played many many rogue-likes, but never realised that there was an original Rogue.

Yes, those people exist and I met one, just the other day.

You just met another one.

Duh. I always wondered why those games were called "Rogue-likes". :P

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #14
The first non-military wargaming book was called Little Wars by H.G. Wells.

--------------------
Wasting your time and mine looking for a good laugh.

Star Bright, Star Light, Oh I Wish I May, I Wish Might, Wish For One Star Tonight.
Infiltrator
Member # 1092
Profile Homepage #15
Sounds all nice...but stoogie.

--------------------
When you think you can't get any lower in life and hit rock bottom, God hands you a shovel.

Following the rights movements
You clamped on with your iron fists
drugs being conviently available for all the kids

Minor drug offenders fill your prisons
You don't even flinch
All our takes paying
For your wars against the new non rich
BANNED
Member # 2064
Profile #16
The first sucessful RPG for PC if im correct was called Doom, shortly followed by the as-popular, Doom 2, and Ultima Online following shortly afterwards.

--------------------
R.I.P. TCoA 13/12/04
Skip to My Lou
Member # 40
Profile Homepage #17
quote:
Originally written by Wise Man is quite the:

I'm pretty sure it's for smart people, or at least patient people. Which is probably why I could never stand DnD.
I'm smart, patient, and could really get into a game where all the action is inside my head. I should look into it. Is there an online DnD?

--------------------
Take the Personality Test! INTJ 100% 75% 100% 44%
Huzzah for the Masterminds!
www.Keirsey.com for personality information.
The Sloganizer! "Swing your Archmage Alex."
Deep down, you wish you were a stick figure.
Post Navel Trauma ^_^
Member # 67
Profile Homepage #18
I am aware of Rogue, although I haven't played it. I probably should sometime, and I wouldn't be surprised if it was better than Angband. But I'll leave that rant to another time.

--------------------
Barcoorah: I even did it to a big dorset ram.

desperance.net - Don't follow this link
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #19
The first RPGs were war-games, first designed in the early half of the 19th century to simulate martial situations, ranging from simplistic board games to complex statistically-rich field simulations, and played by officers during peacetime - with at least one officer or group thereof playing the away side.

I don't see why this doesn't qualify, unless you're one of those idiots who demands RPGs be about wonderful, magical, effeminate elves who all resemble Orlando Bloom, in which case more power to you.

[ Wednesday, March 16, 2005 07:07: Message edited by: Bad-Ass Mother Custer ]

--------------------
The biggest, the baddest, and the fattest.
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #20
quote:
Originally written by Order Up:

The first sucessful RPG for PC if im correct was called Doom, shortly followed by the as-popular, Doom 2, and Ultima Online following shortly afterwards.
You are not correct.

Re. D&D, there are a lot of rules, but most of them exist purely for fairly resolving conflicts. Decisions concerning what rules to use ultimately lie with the game master, or story teller. The basic rules are relatively simple - every new player I've interacted with has picked up the basic rules within one session. I think the most recent incarnation is a bit more complicated than it used to be, but ultimately the games only requirement is a willingness to use one's imagination.

In terms of worth, I think that D&D definitely surpasses television, and probably most computer games. But then, I liked playing with blocks when I was growing up, as well as make believe. Go figure.
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #21
Blocks, Lego I loved them. But D&D just sounds horribly drawn-out and boring.

--------------------
CANUCKS
RESPEK!
My Style
BANNED
Member # 3477
Profile #22
my uncle plays it, i tried to get him to stop but he just wouldnt

--------------------
Avernum is as addictive as skribbane!!! Withdrawal symptoms are harsh so I just keep playing.
Free skribbane at Wal-mart
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #23
quote:
Originally written by VCH:

Blocks, Lego I loved them. But D&D just sounds horribly drawn-out and boring.
There is a strong correlation between the game's quality and the game master's creativity, the players' level of cooperation, and everyone's imagination.

quote:
Originally written by Waffle Guy:

my uncle plays it, i tried to get him to stop but he just wouldnt
Why would you try to stop him from doing something he enjoys? Does he try to stop you from playing video games? What would you think if he did?

I'll agree that from some perspectives, D&D is pretty dorky - it's why I'm somewhat in the closet about it myself - but it can be a really good time, and at least promotes some level of social interactivity, which I think is especially valuable to people who otherwise don't get out much. Like anything else, it should be taken in moderation, but it's definitely not harmful.

[ Thursday, March 17, 2005 05:18: Message edited by: andrew miller ]
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #24
Re Alec's post: D&D was the first to translate the wargame into a fantasy RPG, obviously, but it was more than that.

I've read that D&D was the first to create a one-to-one correlation between players and PCs. The old wargames consisted of generals controlling sizable armies.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00

Pages