cehck tihs out

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: cehck tihs out
Infiltrator
Member # 4592
Profile #25
That was horrible. And not intentional, though it got some laughs, so I guess that's something.

Thanks, guys, for pointing out my extreme idiocy without more sarcasm than could've very deservedly been used. Thuryl, I particularly loved your witty answer! (I was so oblivious when writing it, it didn't even register that smoe was good old Sir Motrax of Exile!)

There were five mistakes. I fixed them. I think.

Dallerdin, "bought" was, alas, not the only one. In the English part I also wrote "shopping" wrong (with two "i"s.) In Spanish I made THREE mistakes. "Comercial" with two "c"s, "Centro" with two "o"s and "Zapatos" with two "o"s.

Once more unto the bridge:

Kel, this one's for you:

"Bnee, cum Linate nacseis, nloo muans maes in te murlacae"

Qwghlmian would probably be very tough, but it's an invented language.

Anybody here speaks Welsh or Vasque?

Out of curiosity what is the most guttural language in the world?

[ Friday, March 11, 2005 05:17: Message edited by: behind stingy cactus ]

--------------------
quote:

"I suffer from spiritual malaise," said Cugel meaningfully. "which manifest itself in outburst of vicious rage. I implore you to depart, lest, in an uncontrollable spasm, I cut you in three pieces with my sword, or worse, I invoke magic."
Random Jack Vance Quote Manual Generator Apparatus (Cugel's Saga)
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #26
Amazingly enough, it almost kind of still works, since those words are so small and recognizable.

This is what I get out of it:

Bene, cum Latine nascies, nolo manus meas in te ____." Not sure how nascor could become nascies, though, so I could be wrong, and I don't recognize that last word at all.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 4214
Profile #27
quote:
Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.
This is nonsensical.

Our brains can rearrange words whose letters are disarranged, but do assimilate every letter of the words.

I, imperceptive as I am, could not read this text without slight difficulties, as my optometrist will most-probably know.
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #28
Don't they typically use jumbled words on IQ tests?

--------------------
Nena
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00
Apprentice
Member # 4456
Profile Homepage #29
That is scary. I actually read that without thinking about it. I was into the third or fourth line before I realized that the letters were off. :eek:

--------------------
Don't eat dirt, its nasty.
Skip to My Lou
Member # 40
Profile Homepage #30
He he, after I posted it I thought, "wait a second, did I already post this here once?" In my defense, it is still very interesting and was new to some people. :D

I see once again my mistake of thinking it is possible to post someting interesting and have it taken as a passing amusement rather than having it analyzed to death and back again. Some of you people take things way too seriously. :P

--------------------
Take the Personality Test! INTJ 100% 75% 100% 44%
Huzzah for the Masterminds!
www.Keirsey.com for personality information.
The Sloganizer! "Swing your Archmage Alex."
Deep down, you wish you were a stick figure.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #31
Counterexample by long word doesn't disprove the research. It's seems plausible to me that common words that we see all the time get "aliased" by our brains. When we see something similar, we pull out the right word. Don't tell me you've never read something fast and realized that you accidentally turned a word into a similar but nonsensical word.

Longer words don't get automatically processed. We actually read them out, so we don't have any facility with reassembling them from parts. It's not that our brains are good at decoding jumbled messes, it's just that are brains are good at ignoring the specifics of the middle when a quick glance shows that the right innards are present.

—Alorael, who thinks the Spanish would probably work better if verbs were somehow written so that only the root were jumbled and the conjugated end and suffixes were not. That can easily be most of the verb, though, so maybe only suffixes need to remain in place.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 5585
Profile #32
quote:
Originally written by behind stingy cactus:

Out of curiosity what is the most guttural language in the world?
To see the answer to this, look at my signature.

--------------------
Important Information about Stuff
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #33
quote:
ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
Gesundheit.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Shock Trooper
Member # 5585
Profile #34
For those who don't read as obssesively as I do, it means "In his house at R'lyeh dead Cthulhu waits dreaming"
From Call of Cthulhu by H. P. Lovecraft

--------------------
Important Information about Stuff
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #35
I cant read it even now. R'lyeh dead Cthulhu waits dreaming" Is it still backwards or on itz side.

--------------------
I stop rubber at 160km/h, five times a week.
CANUCKS
RESPEK!
My Style
The Knight Between Posts.
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #36
I'd say that the most guttural language is Euskara, the Basque language.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #37
quote:
Originally written by Drakefyre:

I'd say that the most guttural language is Euskara, the Basque language.
I thought it was Euskal, or just Euska.

I'd go for one of the South African languages; they're generally so glutteral as to require clicking.

--------------------
The biggest, the baddest, and the fattest.
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #38
I hpoe taht you rleazie taht the nwes of smablrincg the mdleids of wrdos is by atullesboy no menas rneect, and teehrfoe not prlactiury ireennsrtig.
Tkhnas.

--------------------
私のバラドですそしてころしたいいらればころす
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 3898
Profile #39
Neither is the knowledge that the scrambling of words is particularly recent particularly recent.

What's the least guttural language in the world?

--------------------
~Note : The professional newbie's advice should not be taken seriously, or at all.~
LINKAGE
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #40
Quenya. :P

Seriously? Maybe Finnish, if you go by the relations of vowels to consonants.

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperment, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #41
Dunno about that; Finnish seems to have an awful lot of Ks in it.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #42
Finland has a lot of guttural stops.

EDIT: So does Finnish.

[ Saturday, March 12, 2005 02:31: Message edited by: Drakefyre ]

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Infiltrator
Member # 4784
Profile Homepage #43
I vote for Italian

--------------------
Forever Always on Past the End

tracihedlund@charter.net[/url]
TrueSite for Blades - Blades Walkthroughs
Pixle Profusion - BoE Graphics Archive
BANNED
Member # 3477
Profile #44
it is readable as long as u use the right letters that were in the original word other wise it could come out to be some thing else

gizmo, ur name is important

--------------------
Avernum is as addictive as skribbane!!! Withdrawal symptoms are harsh so I just keep playing.
Free skribbane at Wal-mart
Shock Trooper
Member # 4214
Profile #45
quote:
Don't they typically use jumbled words on IQ tests?
Another proof that the standard IQ tests are very untrustworthy.

There is a difference between perception, the assimilation and reproduction of information, and intelligence, the processing of information.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #46
IQ tests are ridiculous and anyone who knows their history has to have serious doubts about the very nature of what they're trying to do.

I'd guess that the least guttural language in the world is a Polynesian one, perhaps Hawaiian. Too few consonants and too many vowels to be guttural.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #47
IQ test are a complete waste of time, I think so at least. The couple I've done here and there (for fun) were 50% visual. For example a multi colored unfolded object. They want you to visualize what it would look like once folded. This is not intelligence it is the ability to get a mental image of what something currently is and what it will be next.

There were a couple questions that someone my age would simply not know because I am too young. Some do calculate age though.

--------------------
Nena
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #48
I think IQ tests are a fairly valuable tool, but maybe because that's just because I do well on them. :P

Seriously, though, the more reputable IQ tests are a better predictor of future academic performance than any other standardised test. I won't deny there are confounding variables in play (notably the self-fulfilling prophecy effect), but still, the high degree of test-retest reliability suggests they at least reliably measure something.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #49
My main problem with intelligence tests of any kind is that a person's intelligence can change rather dramatically over time. Someone who was not strikingly intelligent at age 10 can turn into a very bright 25-year-old. Intelligence is by no means a set constant within any individual over time.

Also I have trouble trusting anything that was born of the eugenics movement in the '20s and '30s.

--------------------

Pages