cehck tihs out

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: cehck tihs out
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #100
Back in my mom's day people got into UCLA at 17 just for having a grade point average of 3.5 or above, no SAT required.

--------------------
Nena
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #101
That, I suspect, was before grade inflation.

A couple of decades back over here, not only was primary, secondary and tertiary education free of charge, but you'd have little difficulty getting into most courses at uni as long as you finished high school. The catch was that 70% of people never finished high school, partly because high school exams back then were designed to weed people out.

(They still are, in a sense, but instead of passing or failing you get a percentile score comparing you to every other student in the state, and universities decide what score is good enough for each course based on the number of places available -- mind you, these days you have to pay part of the cost of your education.

Because of the way different subjects are weighted toward this score, this leads to rather odd results, such as the fact that taking a foreign language will be more help than any other subject in getting you admitted to university, regardless of what course you're applying for.)

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #102
And back in the Korean War, the SAT was used for draft deferment and ETS didn't tell you what your score was. Further creepiness.

Oh, and a century ago, you didn't really have to apply to go to even the most selective schools -- you just demonstrated that you'd mastered the essential entrance-level skills (Latin, Greek) and they took you. Rarely was a qualified applicant rejected.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #103
quote:
Originally written by VCH:

Do SATs count for any portion of ones high school mark? In Canada we have government exams which count for 40% of your grade 12 mark and now 30% of grade 10 and 11 marks. It seems odd that Uni's would simply look at SAT scores and accept or decline based on one test. School is not supposed to be relevant. It is intended to broaden the mind. Take most Calculus for example it doesn't even have a use in the real world. But some day it might. Sure most of school is bull****. However its not meant to be relevant. My calculus 3 teacher summed it up quite nicely, that 90% of math has no use. One is not smarter after leaving University. they may posses more knowledge. But the raw intelligence level will not increase past age 20. As that is when ones brain stops building neural pathways. Motivation goals and so on account for any differences in intelligence beyond age 20.
I don't know if I was smarter when I graduated, but I did realize that I was able to think things through more methodically and reach better decisions more rationally. I chalk this up to the "liberal arts" process. I could have majored in anything and arrived at the same point; the Classics for me was just the way I had the most fun getting there. Acquiring knowledge is a only one part of the university experience; learning how to apply it is the other.

I would say that there's definitely a use in the real world for Calculus, if you're planning on going into programming, engineering, certainly physics, and other sciences.

As far as the SAT goes, universities also consider GPAs, give a lot of weight to class rank, and also actually do look at extracurriculars, what you intend to study, and even your essay when making a judgment. This I learned all about as a study abroad coordinator back in the day, as well as in my interaction with a lot of friends who work in admissions.

EDIT: Thuryl - does Australia still defer loan repayments if you're poor? And is education there still (relatively) cheap (like AU$2000/year or something)? Oh, and is summer break up for you yet? :P

EDIT 2: Happy Ides of March, everyone.

[ Tuesday, March 15, 2005 05:32: Message edited by: andrew miller ]
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #104
Most people hare can get through four year college very cheap or free with financial aid for being low income, a single parent, high GPA, playing sports. speaking other languages, or being disabled. There is also the unfortunate route of student loans.

--------------------
Nena
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #105
Dolphin, you're in California, right? If so, you must surely know that your list of sources of aid is wrong. Out of "being low income, a single parent, high GPA, playing sports. speaking other languages, or being disabled," the only one that consistently gets you aid is playing sports, and that's generally only true if you're going to a D1 school and are one of the star players on your team.

High GPA gets you nothing unless you have a GPA that would get you into Harvard and you opt for Fresno State instead (and I mean that literally) -- the only way to get merit-based aid is to go to a school substantially worse than one you could get into.

Speaking other languages or being disabled have nothing to do with aid whatsoever, as far as I know.

Being a single parent may fall under the category of "low income," but most schools don't care about being a single parent in itself.

Being low income usually gets you aid, but not always; both Wizcozski and I got screwed out of financial aid because we're in unusual financial situations that look better on paper than they actually are. The FAFSA is utter garbage.

There just isn't enough money for aid out there even if the system were perfect, and the system is far from perfect.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #106
The FAFSA does suck my butt. My favorite part of it? Graduate applicants coming right out of college never having worked a day in their lives but all of the sudden counted as "independent" have an estimated family contribution (EFC) of $0/yr. Work for a year or two after college, earning anywhere from $26k to $35k a year (which isn't much to save on), and your EFC is suddenly ~$9000/yr, for just you. The best part is that you tell them exactly how much you have in savings. Where do they think this money comes from? Should we earn it while pursuing our degree? Why is a recent college grad any less able to front as much of a contribution as someone actually paying their way in the world?

Yeehaw!

I would like to point out that federal loans aren't that bad a deal. The rates are very, very low (recently below the rate of inflation) and if you qualify for subsidized loans, even better. The real bummer is when your EFC is high enough (see above) that you don't qualify for enough loan money.

[ Tuesday, March 15, 2005 09:28: Message edited by: andrew miller ]
FAQSELF
Member # 3
Profile #107
quote:
Originally written by wz. arsenic:

I've heard from many people that where one gets their undergraduate education doesn't matter when compared to which graduate school one attends. I intend to go to grad school; hopefully I'll be able to look back at this time and laugh at how much stress I'm experiencing.
Mostly true, especially if you're going to grad school in the sciences. Research experience even at a low ranked college coupled with a high GPA will get you into most anyplace.

quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

National Merit truly sucks at actually awarding money, because that's not really what their main goal is, and if you expect anyone else to hand out merit-based scholarships, you are in for a rude awakening.

Well, unless you're planning to go to a lesser-known school that specializes in merit scholarships, but those are unusual to say the least.

I still remember my $500 from Wash U St Louis for being a National Merit scholar. At a $30,000 school, no less. Of course, they mentioned no other funds. In the end, I went to the cheapest school on the list.

--------------------
A few cats short of a kitten pot pie...

Radioactive cats have 18 half-lives.
Check out a great source for information on Avernum 2, Nethergate, and Subterra: Zeviz's page.
Finally, there's my Geneforge FAQ, Geneforge 2 FAQ, and
Geneforge 3 FAQ.
Posts: 2831 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #108
Cal Grants are given to students with a minimum of 2.0 GPA on a point system. Points are given for the things I listed above. Several friends and family have gone through UCLA and other universities with Cal Grants for being low income or head of household. Head of house hold with children in college also helps, along with being the first in the family to attend college.

Anyone in CA can get a Cal Grant for a small amount of work. I have only seen one or two people turned down for financial aid and that was for having a GPA of around 1.5.

--------------------
Nena
Infiltrator
Member # 4784
Profile Homepage #109
I only applied to one college (Northern State University, Aberdeen SD). The closest one that advertised architectural classes and I didn't want to move very far. I got a one-year full tuition scholarship from the school and a small student loan to pay for books and other expenses. I show up to enroll for classes and they inform me they are phasing out all their architectural classes! :mad: (Keep in mind when I came for the interview for the scholarship I told them what I was planning on studing and nobody said a word, though I do remember one male professor looking me up and down in disbelief like he didn't think I was cut out to be an architect.) So here I am, with scholarship and student loan in hand, not to mention the signed one-year lease on an apartment in town and Hubby has already applied for and started working at his new job, and they tell me I can't study what I came to study! I grudgingly turn my music minor into a music major only to dicover what I already knew, that I didn't want to be a music teacher. Luckily (?), I got pregnant (whole nother story) the end of my first year and decided not to come back for a second year. I'd still love to be an architect but full time mom takes priority for now.

--------------------
Forever Always on Past the End

tracihedlund@charter.net[/url]
TrueSite for Blades - Blades Walkthroughs
Pixle Profusion - BoE Graphics Archive
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #110
quote:
EDIT: Thuryl - does Australia still defer loan repayments if you're poor? And is education there still (relatively) cheap (like AU$2000/year or something)? Oh, and is summer break up for you yet? :P
Yes, yes and yes. Actually, it's a little over $2000 per *semester* -- about $4500 a year, with a 25% discount if you pay the fees upfront instead of accepting the loan. But that's still pretty good. If you're willing to pay much, much more than that (essentially funding the entire cost of your own education), you can get into a course your grades wouldn't normally make you eligible for.

Regarding the loan repayments, they're pegged to income so that if you earn less than about $30000 a year you don't have to pay a cent. If you become a homemaker or something straight out of uni it's entirely possible to go through your entire life without paying off any of your HECS (Higher Education Contribution Scheme) debt.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #111
Oh yeah, Cal Grants, which set the maximum income to be eligible at so low an annual level that no lower-middle-class family in Los Angeles or San Francisco can get one, since the cost of living is so high there that annual incomes are inflated.

Cal Grants are, well, not tremendously effective except to help the same people that the FAFSA helps.

--------------------

Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #112
The limit is 35,000 yearly income, not what I would like to live on, but at least it's there.

--------------------
Nena
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #113
wOOt!

[ Tuesday, March 15, 2005 13:01: Message edited by: andrew miller ]
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #114
$4,500 a year is cheap? That's more expensive than most parts of Canada. Especially Quebec where its like 2,000 dollars for a whole year. Tuition even though people complain about it isn't the problem. The problem is textbook costs along with general living costs.

Stupid useless books cost 300 dollars sometimes.

[ Tuesday, March 15, 2005 12:33: Message edited by: VCH ]

--------------------
I stop rubber at 160km/h, five times a week.
CANUCKS
RESPEK!
My Style
The Knight Between Posts.
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #115
That's AU$4500. At today's exchange, that's about US$3558 or so, which is close to what most U.S. public universities charge for in-state tuition. The real deal is the repayment scheme, as well as the fact that uni isn't a four year show there, but three years, I believe.

(Man, I didn't realize just how bad the U.S. dollar had depreciated - four years ago you could buy an Australian dollar for $.65 or so.)
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #116
quote:
Originally written by andrew miller:

(Man, I didn't realize just how bad the U.S. dollar had depreciated - four years ago you could buy an Australian dollar for $.65 or so.)
You've got the president to thank. :P

By the way, what's a Canadian dollar in exchange to the AU$ and US$ now?

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
Master
Member # 1046
Profile Homepage #117
quote:
Originally written by VCH:

$4,500 a year is cheap? That's more expensive than most parts of Canada. Especially Quebec where its like 2,000 dollars for a whole year. Tuition even though people complain about it isn't the problem. The problem is textbook costs along with general living costs.

Stupid useless books cost 300 dollars sometimes.

UT comp sci is $7500 CAD a year. Even then, it's cheaper than all the commerce programs in Ontario. So yes, 4.5k is dirt cheap.

Oh yes, and residence + tuition + texts = 5 digits, no matter how cheap the tuition may be.

[ Tuesday, March 15, 2005 16:20: Message edited by: Wise Man is quite the ]

--------------------
Polaris - Weather balloons, ninjas, and your big daddy Wise Man. What more could you want?
Undead Theories - Don't Ask, Don't Tell
Infiltrator
Member # 1092
Profile Homepage #118
I have not seen a school that charges $4500 dollars in Australia. Only a few university courses cost that much. I dont know where that figure came from. Anyways, this topic is getting real annoying, getting way off topic, long random posts and 5 pages long of some random crap. I think some one should get rid of this.

--------------------
When you think you can't get any lower in life and hit rock bottom, God hands you a shovel.

Following the rights movements
You clamped on with your iron fists
drugs being conviently available for all the kids

Minor drug offenders fill your prisons
You don't even flinch
All our takes paying
For your wars against the new non rich
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #119
Well I guess every program of study has a different cost. My friend is in the doctor program at the university of Alberta. He figured that all together it should cost him 90,000 to complete the schooling.

Oh and; 1 CAD = 1.04972 AUD

1 AUD = 0.788958 USD

1 CAD = 0.828328 USD

1 AUD = 0.952628 CAD

Jesus why have you forsaken us. Do we sin?

;)

[ Tuesday, March 15, 2005 22:24: Message edited by: VCH ]

--------------------
I stop rubber at 160km/h, five times a week.
CANUCKS
RESPEK!
My Style
The Knight Between Posts.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #120
quote:
Originally written by Jesus:

I have not seen a school that charges $4500 dollars in Australia. Only a few university courses cost that much. I dont know where that figure came from.
University courses were the topic of conversation, you irreparable rantallion.

(Oh, and I went to a private school that charged significantly more than $4500 a year, but I managed to get a scholarship that paid for most of the fees.)

[ Tuesday, March 15, 2005 17:28: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #121
Topics evolve. The current one, I would say, is appreciably more interesting than its topic of origin.

Actually, Aran, the President has arguably little to no impact on foreign exchange. Some of his policies carried out may have an impact, but the reality is that our vastly in the red balance of trade is the likely culprit.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #122
Well, and the gigantic budget deficits we've been running. I know little about economics, but everyone's been saying that the dollar is growing weaker partly because of the exploding national debt.

--------------------

Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #123
I've a $10000/year scholarship and then another $6000/year in grants for to the school I'm going to. Considering that the scholarship is due to my PSAT scores, Kelandon, your comments seem relatively inaccurate.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #124
I never said it wasn't possible -- I just said it's not likely. How exactly did you get that money? There are a handful of businesses associated with National Merit that give reasonable amounts of money via that organization, but they certainly don't award to every qualified applicant.

--------------------

Pages