Recommended Reading

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Recommended Reading
Warrior
Member # 4238
Profile #25
quote:
Originally written by Anthrax Laced Sugar Lumps:

I'm amazed you people think Martin is the height of realism in fantasy. It's more gritty than traditional fantasy, but that's not hard. I don't read very much fantasy (although I read a fair bit of SF) and I can think of several far more hard edged than he.
Yes, but do they also write good stories? Name them.

GRRM has succeeded in breaking conventions in favor of a kind of realism, and in being (deservedly) popular. No one's going to argue that a story featuring the undead, dragons, magic, etc. is purely realistic, mind.
Shock Trooper
Member # 3605
Profile Homepage #26
I have read writers that have tried to be more realistic.

They end up making a story more unreal than it would be if they wrote it in the classical style. They tend to give in to every pessimistic impulse they have. It is as bland and uninspired as the fantasy they are trying to improve.

[ Monday, January 03, 2005 02:11: Message edited by: Angry Ogre ]

--------------------
"Fair and unbiased"
This Side Towards Enemy
Member # 3098
Profile #27
I mentioned China Mieville earlier. He's possibly the best example, although some might argue he's not the best example. Vibrant world, believable characters with proper motives, scenes which have a wonderful cinematic quality and an ability to put a great deal of menace into his plotlines.

Then of course there's MJ Harrison. There are a whole cadre of writers who are writing similar stuff, but as I say I read comparatively little fantasy. I'm not saying Martin is a bad author, but there are a number of authors around who destroy him.

--------------------
Voice of Reasonable Morality
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #28
quote:
Originally written by Tea and Toast with a Red Dragon:

If you truly like Gabriel Garcia Marquez, you will probably like Isabel Allende, The House of the Spirits. It is as good but different. Magical realism is a wonderful form of writing.
I read Allende first and was charmed, but having since read Marquez, I now find her works to be incredibly derivative. Granted, she has her own very interesting familial political edge, but otherwise, in every way Marquez has been superior.

[ Monday, January 03, 2005 09:20: Message edited by: Andrew Miller ]
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #29
Borges is the other magical realist everyone knows. He comes recommended, with the caveat that most people, upon first having read Borges, will instinctively try to imitate him.

--------------------
The biggest, the baddest, and the fattest.
Post Navel Trauma ^_^
Member # 67
Profile Homepage #30
I'll put a vote against Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series. He could be a good writer, but he needs a severe beating from his editor. The books go on and on without ever really getting anywhere.

--------------------
Barcoorah: I even did it to a big dorset ram.

desperance.net - Don't follow this link
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #31
quote:
Originally written by Seilike:

I'll put a vote against Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series. He could be a good writer, but he needs a severe beating from his editor. The books go on and on without ever really getting anywhere.
I'll second that. His series was good through about book 4, and then I lost track and, shortly after, interest.
Shock Trooper
Member # 3605
Profile Homepage #32
Terry Goodking and Jordan are twins. Thei books are idetical. Goodkind's first book is pretty damn good fantasy, but then he just rambles on and in the end goes political/philosophical.

Sad really.

--------------------
"Fair and unbiased"
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #33
Yeah. Because while one of the primary tenets of fantasy is that you have to be based in reality, one of the primary tenets of art is that it has to be the antithesis to sociopolitical dialogues.

--------------------
人 た ち を 燃 え る た め に 俺 は か れ ら に 火 を 上 げ る か ら 死 ん だ
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #34
I just thought that Jordan's plot was going nowhere, and so lost interest. The wheels were spinning, but they weren't touching the ground.

I think that Goodkind, on the other hand, has some serious issues. The spinoff into Objectivism aside, his writing incorporates what seems to me to be an obsessive amount of misogyny, which is a bit of a turn-off in my book.
Shock Trooper
Member # 1249
Profile Homepage #35
So far I've liked Clive Barker's Abarat.

I've read some Isabel Allende. It goes more to the "non-fantasy" category in my head. But I recall it wasn't exactly light reading.

[ Wednesday, January 05, 2005 12:58: Message edited by: Milu ]
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #36
I am enjoying Homeward Bound by Harry Turtledove. But, then I like a lot of his material. Not the alternate south novels, however. I especially liked Fox and Empire by Harry Turtledove.

Another series which I liked was Curt Benjamin -- The Prince of Shadows, The Prince of Dreams, The Gates of Heaven -- The Seven Brothers series. It is excellent. Also The Shadow of the Lion and This Rough Magic by Eric Flint and Mercedes Lackey are good. I could go on and on but then it would get boring. I like historical fantasy.

Robert Jordan basically is a hack. He started by writing bad conan novels then moved to verbose generic fantasies.

--------------------
Wasting your time and mine looking for a good laugh.

Star Bright, Star Light, Oh I Wish I May, I Wish Might, Wish For One Star Tonight.
One Thousand Slimy Things
Member # 66
Profile #37
I put a vote for Wheel of Time! It's a very long story with plenty of goodness. Those with the attention span of a mollusk need not apply.

--------------------
Bending, but not in the way you might imagine.
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #38
Dude, nothing really all that substantive happened in his last four books or so, and that's after about 3600 pages, at over $100 total for the hardbacks - not worth it. There's too much better concise and cogent literature out there that doesn't rip off Frank Herbert and others.
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #39
A few more recent reads. These are both good reads. It is like cyberpunk but it uses a lot of biological and ecological material as well. Mark Budz Clade, and Crache.

--------------------

Star Bright, Star Light, Oh I Wish I May, I Wish Might, Wish For One Star Tonight.
This Side Towards Enemy
Member # 3098
Profile #40
Anybody who tries to rip off Frank Herbert should be spayed. Everything after Dune Messiah was bad (and that itself was only passable) and the last two or three books were completely unreadable.

Hell, Dune itself has some serious flaws. Like the soporific first 200 pages.

--------------------
Voice of Reasonable Morality
One Thousand Slimy Things
Member # 66
Profile #41
Jordan rips off Herbert? Maybe it's because I read the Finnish translation of the books that I do not understand what you mean by this.

Now, as for the lack of action, that is up the reader to decide how much he/she wants it. Take one trashy women's romance novel. 300 pages, and about 50 pages of it is about the man's pulsating, humongous organ.

Now if you want to read a *really* good book, you must the the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever by Stephen Donaldson.

--------------------
Bending, but not in the way you might imagine.
Warrior
Member # 4238
Profile #42
quote:
Originally written by Andrew Miller:

his writing incorporates what seems to me to be an obsessive amount of misogyny, which is a bit of a turn-off in my book.
You could say the same thing about Jordan. All the women (except perhaps for Min and Moirane) in WoT act in a ludicrous, bizarre, man-hating manner.
That, more than anything else, is what turned me off of WoT. Rand should have just balefired Cadusane a couple books ago. It's so damn annoying.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #43
I like the Wheel of Time too. Nope, not much happens, but it doesn't happen in a good way. I also happen to like the world Jordan created, which often counts for more than book content in my, well, book.

Stephen R. Donaldson is wonderful as long as you have a strong constitution and no aversion to watch characters go through hell and not come out the other side.

—Alorael, who will bring up C. S. Friedman again. The Coldfire Trilogy is somewhere between scif-fi and fantasy, closer to the latter, and it has my two favorite unexpected character deaths. In Conquest Born can only be described as different, and it is very different. Don't read if you like to easily empathize with characters.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Warrior
Member # 5362
Profile #44
I finished reading the WoT series (or atleast what has come out so far) a couple of months ago, and i must say it was awesome.
Agent
Member # 1558
Profile #45
Foundation series, and Robot series by Isaac Asimov.
There are 10+ books, but the series doesn't degrade like the Dune series.
Very like the Discworld series by Terry Pratchett, the quality never drops below standard, and often is above the mark.

Also, anyone who hasn't read the Hitchhiker's Guide series by Douglas Adams is missing out.
This series is very much like the Monty Python series - hit and miss, but the best parts are well worth it.

I'm out of it, I keep staring at series and I'm sure it's spelled wrong.
I apologize for saying like and series 13 times now.

--------------------
I'm tired of the strain and the pain ___ ___ ___ I feel the same, I feel nothing
Nothing is important to me ___ ___ ___ ___ __ And nobody nowhere understands anything
About me and all my dreams lost at sea ___ __ But we’re not the same, we’re different tonight
We’ll make things right, we’ll feel it all tonight _ The indescribable moments of your life tonight
The impossible is possible tonight ___ ____ ___ Believe in me as I believe in you, tonight

Go All Blacks xtraMSN Rugby _ MuggleNet
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #46
Does the Foundation series get less implicitly sexist after the first book? I don't know if Asimov was consciously misogynistic, but my impression of Foundation was that of a 1950s culture transposed into a high-technology world. It's one of the main reasons I think he compares poorly to his contemporary John Wyndham. Don't get me wrong; Foundation's a brilliant book plotwise, but IA's speculations on culture are of a pretty white-picket-fence nature.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #47
As far as cultural vision, I think the Robot series does better than the Foundation series (both by Asimov and in the same universe, for those who don't know). I rather liked the Foundation universe's series.

Robert Jordan needs to be told that his publisher will only release two more WoT books and that he'd damn well better wrap it up by then or else he's not getting another chance. WoT was good up through Book 6, but after that, RJ's been milking the series for all the cash it's worth. Book 9 seemed to be rushing towards a conclusion, and then Book 10 hit, and absolutely nothing happened.

I have to hand it to him, though. He can write four books, with a total of, well, I don't want to count it, but more than two thousand pages, and have virtually nothing happen in them. He can stretch the events of ten pages into three hundred pages.

I got into the series when Book 7 was new, so I admit that I feel a bit betrayed. I probably would feel the same way if I had gotten into Spiderweb games around the time of Exile 3.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
BANNED
Member # 3477
Profile #48
The Absolut Sagacious stranger, isnt that called ringworld?

--------------------
Avernum is as addictive as skribbane!!! Withdrawal symptoms are harsh so I just keep playing.
Free skribbane at Wal-mart
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #49
Ringworld is by Larry Niven. There are two recent additions to the series Ringworld's Children and The Ringworld Throne.

Discworld is different. It is by Terry Pratchett. Not my favorite but still a good write. He learned his trade by being a public relations person for the nuclear energy industry. He says it taught him how to make tremendous lies.

--------------------

Pages