Recommended Reading

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Recommended Reading
Warrior
Member # 5343
Profile #50
The Last Continent by Terry Prachet. Its funny and has kangeroo's.

--------------------
Mu Ha Ha Ha
Infiltrator
Member # 4256
Profile #51
quote:
I'm planning to read the Illuminatus trilogy as soon as I can get my hands on it.
Did you enjoy those books? Seemed rather incoherent to me. Love affair between an advanced computer and an ancient whale? I probably missed the point of the book, but I don't really care enough to put myself through reading it again.

On WoT I have to agree that even though nothing happens during the last 3000 pages, nothing happens in a semi interesting fashion and the 3000 pages were worth reading, though not really worth buying, - Is Jordan going to do the entire series in the "children's" editions before advancing onwards?

Books I'm reading at the moment:
Anna Karenina- Tolstoy
The Idiot- forget how to spell the guy's name
Out of the Silent Planet and series- Lewis
Atlas Shrugged- Ayn Rand

and assorted "Informational Books"

edit: As I rescanned my post I saw my signature and it reminded me to promote Faust as a very enjoyable work (or at least Part 1)

[ Friday, January 07, 2005 08:19: Message edited by: m's avatar ]
Shaper
Member # 22
Profile #52
I think that Asimov tried to address the fifties culture bias in the last two books (the preludes), even if only by beating us over the head with the cultural diversity of Trantor.

And the idea that it doesn't sag in places? Foundation and Earth sucked hard.
Warrior
Member # 4238
Profile #53
quote:
Originally written by aliklik:

I finished reading the WoT series (or atleast what has come out so far) a couple of months ago, and i must say it was awesome.
So, how do you tolerate the women? What do you do when you get the strong urge to strangle the likes of Egwene and Cadsuane?

"Oh, Rand is so arrogant, not like us Aes Sedai! *sniff sniff tug tug*"

Over and over and over, book after book. RJ has some neat ideas, but...he ruins it. Then I started reading Feist, who can write epic plots in an engaging, relatively fast-paced manner, and I wondered why RJ was so popular.

Thoughts? How can you possibly tolerate the women?

On a lighter note...
http://www.ina-community.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=386600
Infiltrator
Member # 4256
Profile #54
Reading Feist, I don't see the grounds for enthusiasm. Enjoyable yes, but great? I don't see it. As for the women... in WoT, they help string the thing along. None of them are natural, all go to extremes. And all of them are very centered on men. Reading some of RJ's earlier works under another alias illustrates his view on women heroines. He tries to flesh them out but they tend towards being sex objects more than anything else...... So in answer to how to tolerate them? Just do your best to ignore them so that you can read all the semi-generic plot that Jordan churns out. Or possibly a better solution, just don't read the series anymore, somehow I wonder if he ever intends to finish it.
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #55
Ayn Rand is an artist. She is writing about architecture and art. She is coming from the viewpoint of an arrogant self-centered but very successful artist. I found her work the "Romantic Manifesto" to be well worth reading. What she says about the lack of esthetics in the modern age is correct.

However, most of the so called "objectivists" are not artists. They are arrogant financial types who have no understanding of art or beauty. They take the points of her writing as an excuse to be self- centered, arrogant, and hedonistic without providing any kind of monumental contributions in architecture, art, philosophy, or science. Central to her philosophy is monumental accomplishment.

--------------------
Wasting your time and mine looking for a good laugh.

Star Bright, Star Light, Oh I Wish I May, I Wish Might, Wish For One Star Tonight.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #56
Dear god, Ayn Rand. I have heard fairly terrible things about her writing, and what little I've read has seemed arrogant, simple-minded, and illogical.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #57
Her writing isn't that bad. Actually, it's quite good. It's her plots and characters that are questionable. If you actually think about the characters and what they're doing, you notice that they tend not to make any sense or deserve any empathy.

—Alorael, who likes some of Feist's first books. They have gone constantly downhill. Writing books based on games based on the world you created should always be taken as a bad sign.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Agent
Member # 1558
Profile #58
Mmmm, yeah. Disapointing that. He's like a Hollywood movie writer, full of cliches.

--------------------
I'm tired of the strain and the pain ___ ___ ___ I feel the same, I feel nothing
Nothing is important to me ___ ___ ___ ___ __ And nobody nowhere understands anything
About me and all my dreams lost at sea ___ __ But we’re not the same, we’re different tonight
We’ll make things right, we’ll feel it all tonight _ The indescribable moments of your life tonight
The impossible is possible tonight ___ ____ ___ Believe in me as I believe in you, tonight

Go All Blacks xtraMSN Rugby _ MuggleNet
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #59
I agree, Nasarius. I wish they'd wiped out the Aes Sedai and spread their ashes across the continent. I like the Asha'man a lot, and the Aiel are cool too.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #60
quote:
Originally written by m's avatar:

Did you enjoy those books?
Didn't read them yet. :P

quote:
Love affair between an advanced computer and an ancient whale?
What?! Now I have to read it!

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
Infiltrator
Member # 4256
Profile #61
quote:
Written by Toast:
Ayn Rand is an artist. She is writing about architecture and art. She is coming from the viewpoint of an arrogant self-centered but very successful artist. I found her work the "Romantic Manifesto" to be well worth reading. What she says about the lack of esthetics in the modern age is correct.

quote:
Written by Kelandon:
Dear god, Ayn Rand. I have heard fairly terrible things about her writing, and what little I've read has seemed arrogant, simple-minded, and illogical
Hmmm, I actually enjoyed it. Perhaps not the beginning but overall it left a positive impression on me.
Some of her theories make sense as well, but that is rather off topic for this thread
quote:
quote:

Love affair between an advanced computer and an ancient whale?

What?! Now I have to read it!

Indeed, the biblical Leviathan and a computer named ****UP
Lifecrafter
Member # 1468
Profile Homepage #62
I recommend "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" by Douglas Adams and "Interesting Times" by Terry Pratchet. (hope I spelled that right)

--------------------
"We can learn a lot from crayons. Some are short, some are dull, some are sharp, some are tall. Some have funny names and they are all different colors, but they all learn to live in the same box."

"Happy is the man that has wisdom and gets discernment. For having wisdom as gain is better than having silver as gain and having wisdom as produce is better than gold itself" Proverbs 3:14-3:15

The horrible part about life is, you'll never get out of it alive.

Currently boycotting: AngelFire, GameFAQ's
Everybody should go to this site at least once.

Pages