Music??

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Music??
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #25
Ah, but that's not generally what we mean. Chorales are one thing, but the typical run of Christian music is usually pretty inspid, no matter what genre it happens to be in.

I'd say this is because any musician who would have to use Christ as a musical purpose would probably be subpar at best. I tend to view anyone whose songs are exclusively about sex or true <3 or what-have-you with some disdain, too, and I'm sure I'd get tired of atheist music too, if it existed.

[ Saturday, October 09, 2004 17:04: Message edited by: Fear Uncertainty and Custer ]

--------------------
The biggest, the baddest, and the fattest.
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #26
Correction: POD was a Christian rock band. Now... I'm not sure what that is.

I thought I'd add my love for Jazz and Latin as well. So, uhh, here it is.

--------------------
The critics agree!

Demonslayer is "a five star hit!" raves TIMES Weekly!

"I've never heard such thoughtful comments. This man is a genious!" says two-time Nobel Prize winning physicist Erwin Rasputin!
Posts: 1582 | Registered: Wednesday, November 13 2002 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #27
Writing music as a tribute to God's glory is not the same as writing music as an effective medium for proselytizing. Bach did the former (and his musicians hated him for it). People more often do the latter nowadays.

—Alorael, who also has to give a nod to the Capital Steps. God Bless My SUV is a song that everyone should be required to listen to prior to purchasing a large vehicle for non-commercial purposes.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Agent
Member # 1993
Profile #28
It should have been a joke, Alec :)
I know, there is very boring pop- and rock-music from Christian singers. Nobody listens to that trash except American Christian fundies.

But what is "inspid"? Didn't find that word.

--------------------
^ö^ vegetarians are sexy.
Guardian
Member # 2476
Profile #29
insipid = langweilig, fade, blaß

And no Messiaen, no Hindemith, no Schönberg? No Penderezski, Stockhausen, Rihm?

[ Saturday, October 09, 2004 18:28: Message edited by: ef ]

--------------------
Polaris
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #30
Country is merely mainstream "Christian" with poorer songwriting.

By the way, it deserves mention that Shiina Ringo is flat-out awesome.

I <3 Kabuki-cho no Jouou

--------------------
人 た ち を 燃 え る た め に 俺 は か れ ら に 火 を 上 げ る か ら 死 ん だ
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Babelicious
Member # 3149
Profile Homepage #31
Hear that lonesome whip-poor-will?
He sounds too blue to fly
The midnight train is whining low
I'm so lonesome I could cry

I've never seen a night so long
When time goes crawling by
The moon just went behind the cloud
To hide its face and cry

Did you ever hear a robin weep
When leaves begin to die?
That means he's lost the will to live

The silence of a falling star
Lights up the purple sky
And as I wonder where you are

--- Hank Williams

Yeah. Country music is just poor Christian music. Uh-huh.

--------------------
I've got a pyg in a poke.
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #32
Exceptions define the rule. Heresies and orthodoxies.

--------------------
Babelicious
Member # 3149
Profile Homepage #33
I could sit here and quote songs and list artists for hours. I'll save you the trouble and just say: just because Johnny Cash was a Christian and sometimes sang songs about his faith doesn't make "I Walk The Line" or "Ring Of Fire" or most of the other songs he wrote Christian songs, nor does it make his music Christian music.
Williams, Carter, and Cash are the three most important dynasties in country music, and none of them can be easily pigeonholed as "Christian music."

You know, "Drop Kick Me Jesus Through The Goalposts Of Life" isn't exactly definitive of country. I'd tell you to go look at the songs they play on SomaFM's Boot Liquor, but it's defunct.

Looking at Faith Hill and calling country mainstream Christian music is like listening to Blink-182 and calling punk "music about not liking your dad and sucking with the girls" or listening to Papa Roach and calling metal "music about hating your dad".

Hank Williams, to be blunt, is not an exception. He's one of the central figures in country, and if his music isn't "Christian music", country isn't, either.

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 4778
Profile Homepage #34
Hm, my fovorite music. That's not easy. I'm listen to nearly every style. And I have a problem remembering names.
These are groups and artists that come to my mind now:
Alan Parsons Project (especially Tales from Mystery and Imagination)
Rammstein
Herbert Grönemeyer (you will not know him, I suppose)
Earth, Wind and Fire
Depeche Mode
Mike Oldfield (especially Tubular Bells)
Madonna (some songs, not all)
Jean-Michel Jarre (of course Oxygen)

Perhaps I remember more of their names later.

[ Saturday, October 09, 2004 23:57: Message edited by: bigblue ]

--------------------
www.bigblue.de.gg BoA graphics and more
BoE Posse
Member # 112
Profile #35
I see TM is off in his own little world again.

People tend to write about the things that have made the biggest impact on their lives. For many, it's love. For some, it's God. Others, despite being defined as "Christian artists", write about all aspects of their lives, including but not limited to their relationship with God.

I disagree strongly with Alec's point that writing songs about God indicates any sort of creative deficiencies (sp?). Not arguing for a moment that there aren't bad Christian musicians along with the good ones, but isn't that the case with any genre/subgroup you care to name? I don't think you'd be able to convincingly argue that Rebacca St. James' songs are insipid.

--------------------
Rate my scenarios!

Areni
Revenge
To Live in Fear
Deadly Goblins
Ugantan Nightmare
Isle of Boredom
Babelicious
Member # 3149
Profile Homepage #36
I think he's referring to the genre of Christian pop music, not music produced by Christian musicians. The distinction is important -- Christian pop music is popular-style music whose primary, explicit focus is Christianity, and Christianity is the primary message of the group. 4Him, Jars of Clay, etc. are of that mold, and they do tend to be insipid.

Why? Because popular music is pretty carnal; rock and roll has always been about sex, drugs, and fighting, and making it about religion is going to seem out of place. On the other hand, nobody's going to write an orchestral piece about fellatio. (Well, except Spinal Tap.)

In addition, the most affecting music (for me, at least) is that which is most personal. The type band aforementioned generally avoids any kind of song that doesn't "glorify God" -- and that feels stunted.

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 4389
Profile Homepage #37
I'm going to avoid this as I don't listen to enough country music and I don't know enough and actually I can't really define any genre of music to people's liking. And I tend to really piss off people at my school who refer to things like dream-rock and reggaecore and nu-folk. Nu-folk. Really now.
I listen to a lot of music, favourite bands switching a hell of a lot. Right now the bands I like most are The Smiths, Joy Division, The Cure, Interpol (goth rock kicks yo), Wire, The Clash, The Melvins, Pavement, Fugazi, Pixies, Big Black, Violent Femmes, Born Against, Iggy Pop and the Stooges. And the B-52s. <3
Then I have a lot of random stuff. Bjork. NoFX. Aphex Twin. Franz Ferdinand. Shellac. Johnny Cash. Sigur Ros. The Talking Heads. The Liars. Three songs by everyone's favourite mixmaster, TGM. A folder full of Nirvana...

In other words, music-wise, I'm a great big jerk. Whee-hoo.

--------------------
fame fame fatal fame
it can play hideous tricks on the brain
Lifecrafter
Member # 3310
Profile #38
U2
Pink Floyd (mainly "Comfortably Numb" over and over again)
Bruce Springsteen
RHCP
Jethro Tull
Creedence Clearwater Revival
Simon & Garfunkel
Moody Blues
The Beach Boys
The Eagles
The Grateful Dead

Make of that what you want.

--------------------
ahhahaha i rule u droool
BoE Posse
Member # 112
Profile #39
I realize Alec was talking about the genre, and I still disagree that it tends to be insipid, any more than any other genre. As mentioned before, I'm quite a big fan of Jars of Clay (though I don't really care for 4Him). Is it really fair to brand groups like Avalon, the Newsboys, Tree63, Switchfoot, etc. as insipid, merely because they choose to sing about the thing that matters most to them?

Or is it just an issue of personal taste, and this discussion equivalent to one person rationalizing why rap sucks, while another argues that it doesn't?

--------------------
Rate my scenarios!

Areni
Revenge
To Live in Fear
Deadly Goblins
Ugantan Nightmare
Isle of Boredom
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #40
I suspect Alec harbours a dislike toward any band that can be described by a genre, particularly if all their songs share the same themes.

[ Sunday, October 10, 2004 22:57: Message edited by: Prince Albert in a Can ]

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #41
ben, Thank You for officially confirming what I suspected about your life. How easy it must be to shut out the world and miss it - I'm certain you are very happy.

Contemporary Christian rock just seems so trite and derivative to me.

Right now I'm trying to decide if I like the new Interpol album. Radiohead or even Coldplay it ain't, but maybe it'll grow on me. It seems as though the melody of every phrase ends with a minor 3rd down, which reminds me of Depeche Mode cadences a little, only Interpol's not as good. I dunno.

Otherwise, The Shins, Radiohead, Coldplay, The Cure, Nickel Creek, earlier Smashing Pumpkins, the Boss, sundry '80s hits, Bach ("Well-Tempered Clavier", mostly for the fugues, and his organ pieces), Mozart (especially "La Nozze di Figaro" and "Requiem"), Brahms, Vaughan Williams, Scott Joplin, barbershop, The Roots, The Cure, The Cardigans, Blur, U2, Manu Chao, Buena Vista Social Club, Haydn, G. Love and Special Sauce, Eminem, Tribe Called Quest, et cetera.

[ Monday, October 11, 2004 05:32: Message edited by: Andrew Miller ]
Shock Trooper
Member # 4942
Profile #42
SO nobody here knows of Ani DiFranco? She is one of my favourites, and I am constantly in search of people who know of her.

--------------------
Wham Bam Shizam
Warrior
Member # 4778
Profile Homepage #43
No, never heard of. What style of music is it?

BTW I'm curious if anybody knows Rammstein and what you think of them? I know that they had a tour in the USA and want to know, how US-people react on such an extreme of German music!

--------------------
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #44
I know of Ani DiFranco, I just choose not to listen to her. To her credit, she's not as bad as contemporary Christian bands, but performers pushing feminism rate only a little higher with me, not so much because their music is wretched, but because of the memories I have of the people who listen to them ALL THE TIME. If I had a nickel for every girl with serious self-image problems devoted to Alanis, Ani, and Tori I ran across in college...

EDIT: The only Rammstein song I'm familiar with is (pardon any mispelling) "Du hast." I thought it was okay, though a little heavier than what I usually like to listen to. Haven't really listened to too much German music otherwise, though there was a techno group called Dune that I thought was pretty cool that I thought was German... :)

[ Monday, October 11, 2004 12:35: Message edited by: Andrew Miller ]
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #45
My opinion on Ramstone: Not Japanese enough.

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 4778
Profile Homepage #46
quote:
Originally written by Andrew Miller:

EDIT: The only Rammstein song I'm familiar with is (pardon any mispelling) "Du hast." I thought it was okay, though a little heavier than what I usually like to listen to. Haven't really listened to too much German music otherwise, though there was a techno group called Dune that I thought was pretty cool that I thought was German... :)
It's spelled correctly. There also exists an English version of "Du hast". But the play on words is lost there. "Du hast" can be translated with "you have" and "you hate"! For this reason I don't like the English version that much.

t TM Well, it's a German band, not a Japanese. So why should it sound Japanese?

--------------------
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #47
(Point of reference- to hate would be with two S's)

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 4778
Profile Homepage #48
Ok, you're right:
to hate = hassen
you hate = du haßt (old orthography rules)
du hasst (new orthography rules)
But the pronunciation is the same, Rammstein play with this.

--------------------
Shock Trooper
Member # 4942
Profile #49
Ani's music is classified in many different generes. The most popular is folk-punk. Or nu-folk as Rosy so aptly put it. I won't bother you with my gibber-gabber about her, you all will probably find it very boring. You can google her (Ani DiFranco) or check out her website and download a short clip.

--------------------
Wham Bam Shizam

Pages