Newbie...

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Newbie...
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #50
FBM, the majority of your posts are incomprehensible in substance yet brimming with arrogance and condescension. They may not be spam in the traditional sense, but they don't add a thing to the topic. At best, you provoke fights, and they're not even interesting fights.

Rowen just irritated Drakey while he was in a titling mood. Ben apparently did not.

—Alorael, who thinks you are missing a key element of Canning. It is not official. Drakey can do it whenever he likes, for whatever reason he likes. He could can some random invisible newbie. He could can me (and so could Stareye, for that matter). Instead of protesting the title, consider the reasons that you got it instead of any of the other four thousand some odd members.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #51
ben: There is a difference between being a n00b with opinions many people disagree with and being an irritating, unfunny pissant.

The former doesn't get you love and flowers, but it's only the latter that gets you canned.

--------------------
The biggest, the baddest, and the fattest.
Lifecrafter
Member # 87
Profile Homepage #52
There is a community called Newby about 50 miles south of my town. I need to take a picture.
Griffer Splah and all that :D

I am home internet service, and I approve this message.

--------------------
Tip of the Day: #15 Wash your hands!!

That's skrange.
(THNIK)(Peculiar James, FP, cleanfast productions co, inc)(Dgjzxachk)(Lord Pibble)
One Thousand Slimy Things
Member # 66
Profile #53
quote:
Originally written by FatBatMonkey:

Taking it one at a time:

Artic: had no point so bleh.

quote:
Originally written by Aloolal:

—Alorael, who thinks you are missing a key element of Canning. It is not official. Drakey can do it whenever he likes, for whatever reason he likes. He could can some random invisible newbie. He could can me (and so could Stareye, for that matter). Instead of protesting the title, consider the reasons that you got it instead of any of the other four thousand some odd members.

What Alorael said was my point. But since you "don't care" and "not going to change", I don't see why the hell you had to hijack a good topic for your useless whining. I swear, it is becoming a trend.

--------------------
Bending, but not in the way you might imagine.
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #54
Why did I can you and Rowen? Persistent spam on the General forum.

If I'd been around for the rest of the summer, I would have been in a more discipline-oriented mood and canning would not have seemed such a rare punishment. There are more cannings just urging to come out, which means that people like RC and FP should be very careful. If RC locks another topic like he's done in the past, he will be banned for a long time.

Canning is basically a warning for spam. Once you're canned, if you don't start to ease up, you'll be banned. If you do start behaving more maturely, then you will not be banned. If you become a good person who contributes to the boards, your title will disappear entirely.

The reason that Zephyr's Canned title remains is that while he hasn't spammed in a long time, he hasn't done anything nice or special either.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #56
I've always thought of Drakefyre as sort of evil, malevolent, power-mad, and psychotic. Not that that's a bad thing, really. I kind of think the same thing about Imban, and I have a great deal of respect for the both of them.

But yeah. There's a spirit of the CoC as well as the letter of the law, and violating that can result in Canning, I believe. (EDIT: Well, Drakey elaborated above as I was writing this.)

And WBS (as you have surely already been coined, Wham Bam), it's good to see that you aren't discouraged by topic hijacking. Yes, you are welcome here, and if you haven't already been there, I encourage you to go check out the home of pretty much all serious BoE-related material, the Lyceum, particularly the Comprehensive Scenario Rankings. Post what you think of scenarios there; it's always good to have a fresh voice to let us know what others think makes a good scenario.

[ Wednesday, September 08, 2004 00:46: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
BANNED
Member # 3121
Profile Homepage #57
Gosh, I missed page 3. So this post don't apply anymore. Sadness! :(

[ Wednesday, September 08, 2004 03:55: Message edited by: Secondary Account #1 ]

--------------------
The Great Mister

kommari@gmail.com[/url]
Agent
Member # 618
Profile Homepage #58
I think in this case, it is patently clear to me that #3 applies.

Alo, it seems that I got canned because while I spam, I do so in no greater quantity than others, and Drakey wasn't in a terribly nice mmod that day. Fun. :D

Artic: ... I repeat to you what I said to TM, when did I say that I did not care?

Drakey: ... Rowen? Persistant spam? Rowen? What? Did he use all 90-odd of those posts to spam?

quote:
Canning is basically a warning for spam. Once you're canned, if you don't start to ease up, you'll be banned. If you do start behaving more maturely, then you will not be banned. If you become a good person who contributes to the boards, your title will disappear entirely.

... So I have the option of staying canned forever or being banned? Nice. 'Cause it's nigh-on impossible for me to be a "good person who contributes to the boards". With a canned status over my head, well that's just fun. :D

And a no-spam status? Would you like me to cut off my left leg while I'm at it? :rolleyes:

Whatever. I've hijacked this topic enough, and I'm leaving it alone. Have fun WBS. ;)

--------------------
Aut Tace Aut Loquere Meliora Silencio
Skip to My Lou
Member # 40
Profile Homepage #59
A really late "hi" to WBS and my 2¢ of advice: going on extensively about minor things in not a positive thing.

On a vaugely related note, FBM is right that titles are uncommon. I've been passively trying to get one for years. Though I suppose it is probably the passivity (is that a word?) that has kept me titleless (I don't think that's really a word either) Drakey should tell us when he's in a titling mood so we know when to kiss up to him.

--------------------
Take the Personality Test! INTJ 100% 75% 100% 44%
Huzzah for the Masterminds!
www.Keirsey.com for personality information.
The Sloganizer! "Swing your Archmage Alex."
Deep down, you wish you were a stick figure.
Infiltrator
Member # 4592
Profile #60
Hello WBS!!! Bienvenido!!!

I've prepapred a nice chicha for you. I'm sending it via supersonic tucan, so you should get it in a day or so. It might be a little shaken by that time, so just put it on the freezer for exactly three hours and seventeen minutes, then wait until it melts, and just enjoy it. It's high in good food stuff and low in the bad ones.

Salud!

--------------------
quote:

"I suffer from spiritual malaise," said Cugel meaningfully. "which manifest itself in outburst of vicious rage. I implore you to depart, lest, in an uncontrollable spasm, I cut you in three pieces with my sword, or worse, I invoke magic."
Random Jack Vance Quote Manual Generator Apparatus (Cugel's Saga)
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #61
This topic needs one last, possibly fatal twist. I feel that I must apologize for using the first person in the signature of my last post in this topic. I'd edit it, but it has already been quoted and I must simply acknowledge my mistake and move on.

I deeply regret this, everyone.

—Alorael, who assures you that higher standards will be instituted and all signatures will be extensively peer reviewed before appearing in print. Thank you for your patience and understanding.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
BANNED
Member # 4946
Profile #62
So this is the happening place? Welcome to the n00bs? I suppose that my own topic start might work better but as this one turned out so poorly I was slightly discouraged. Ahhh the pain......

--------------------
Don't be like me!
Agent
Member # 618
Profile Homepage #63
Not at all. Welcome to Spiderweb. I would put in the "Leave Your..." bit, but that's getting cliched.

Feel free, if you feel the need, to start a welcome topic. It's unlikely to be hijacked so soon after this. Especially by me, considering the only other possible thing that could actually possibly hack me off is the banning of myself, or someone who does not deserve it. And with the former, any possible hijacking is... moot.

I digress. Welcome.

[ Wednesday, September 08, 2004 12:04: Message edited by: FatBatMonkey ]

--------------------
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #64
Mr. TM?

Well, the more people who enjoy my scenarios, the better.

--------------------
人 た ち を 燃 え る た め に 俺 は か れ ら に 火 を 上 げ る か ら 死 ん だ
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 2123
Profile #65
Question.

Do all the Mods talk aboutwho needs tobe canned and then can them? Or is it just one person like Drakefry that does it?

quote:
Originally written by More Whining and Moaning:

I feel that I must apologize for using the first person in the signature of my last post in this topic. I'd edit it, but it has already been quoted and I must simply acknowledge my mistake and move on.

I deeply regret this, everyone.

My life is ruined, I shall go cry on my pillow now.

--------------------
With his last breath he took in more power then any Guardian could hold, then with a scream of pain and furry he unleashed it all to form a barrier betwen the Mantia and the Darkness.
Agent
Member # 618
Profile Homepage #66
Judging by posting times to determine who was about when canning occurred, I would say that Drakey made it independently.

--------------------
BANNED
Member # 4946
Profile #67
Did some one say power? I think so. Well whats the use of being administrator if you don't have power? Is Drakey on staff at SW? If not are there any other similar non staff Ads to appeal to?

quote:
ben: There is a difference between being a n00b with opinions many people disagree with and being an irritating, unfunny pissant.
Opinions? if it was just opinions- sometimes it seems like cram it down your throatisms. Amusing at times but more often not.

From your favorite know-it-all

Livid Fire (Can fire not be livid?)

[ Wednesday, September 08, 2004 13:43: Message edited by: Livid Fire ]

--------------------
Don't be like me!
Shock Trooper
Member # 4942
Profile #68
Yes, Mr. TM is suppposed to signify respect. While I am at it, Mr. Alorael, Mr.Thuryl, etc... And Bacilli simplify conversations, I have not recieved your chicha yet. Though several tucans have flown by lately, none of them have carried chichas. Archmage Alex, am I going on extensively about minor things? I just thought that your post was suggesting I was so...

Is the Lyceum a better place to post about Blades? I just feel I know this place better and prefer to stick around here. Will I still get better feedback from the pros there? And are there people there that don't hang out at Spiderweb?

PS TM, I noticed in Bandits 2 you have something mentioning anarchy in one of your maps. Do you mean real anarchy(not accepting systems for systems exist for the purpose to perpetuate the system, not what the system originally stood for)
or the chaos anarchy? Anywho, I still think it is cool you infused politics in such a weird and cool way in a scenario.

[ Wednesday, September 08, 2004 14:09: Message edited by: Wham Bam Shizam ]

--------------------
Wham Bam Shizam
BoE Posse
Member # 112
Profile #69
(Just noticed this topic)

Well, I suppose I should say G'day. The Lyceum is basically the place to be to talk about Blades (Exile or Avernum). It's where most the major designers hang around, you can rate scenarios, and if you're feeling particularly brave, wander into Advanced Scenario Discussion.

--------------------
Rate my scenarios!

Areni
Revenge
To Live in Fear
Deadly Goblins
Ugantan Nightmare
Isle of Boredom
BANNED
Member # 4946
Profile #70
Welcome Welcome, I hope that you do make some good BOA or BOE scenarios. Always can use more :)

--------------------
Don't be like me!
Infiltrator
Member # 4592
Profile #71
WBS: Yup, you should definitely check the Lyceum. They have a nicer system of rating scenarios, and, indeed, there are people who hang in there and not here. Indeed.

(Er, about that Tucan. . . hope Ivan didn't get to him. Man. Hurricanes this year are being. . . whew. If any of you folk live in Florida or around the areas the Hurricanes have passed through, hope you and your loved ones are doing good!

And welcome Livid Fire. I'm gonna use this sling here to shoot a couple of Mangos in your direction. The way the weather's been lately, you should get them.

Cheers!

Edit: Norkis says hello as well:

IMAGE(http://www.vencor.narod.ru/fotos/pic3/norkis04.jpg)

[ Thursday, September 09, 2004 00:29: Message edited by: Bacilli simplify conversations ]

--------------------
quote:

"I suffer from spiritual malaise," said Cugel meaningfully. "which manifest itself in outburst of vicious rage. I implore you to depart, lest, in an uncontrollable spasm, I cut you in three pieces with my sword, or worse, I invoke magic."
Random Jack Vance Quote Manual Generator Apparatus (Cugel's Saga)
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #72
Persistent spam is a relative thing. If you have a low number of posts, let's say 90, for example, and 75 of those posts are spam/spammish, you're probably more likely to be canned than someone who has 500 spammy posts out of 1000.

And you don't spam more than others? I would definitely dispute that.

And to remove the Canned title, all you have to do is stop spamming and make intelligent and constructive posts. Is that so hard?

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
BANNED
Member # 3121
Profile Homepage #73
*childish giggle*

--------------------
The Great Mister

kommari@gmail.com[/url]
Agent
Member # 618
Profile Homepage #74
Drakey, ... ... I'm not going to get into this again, suffice to say asking tGM the same question, if he answers honestly, would be about the same.

--------------------
BANNED
Member # 3121
Profile Homepage #75
Oh but the sadness, I actually do post meaningful things. Please, see the gaming forums. ^^

--------------------
The Great Mister

kommari@gmail.com[/url]

Pages