Newbie...

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Newbie...
One Thousand Slimy Things
Member # 66
Profile #25
quote:
Originally written by Wham Bam Shizam:

Just one more comment, and then I will leave you all alone for the moment. So how do you earn respect and status?
By sleeping with one of the oldbies.

--------------------
Bending, but not in the way you might imagine.
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #26
*suggestive wink*

--------------------
The biggest, the baddest, and the fattest.
Infiltrator
Member # 4784
Profile Homepage #27
Ok, I gotta ask... What does it mean to be canned? It doesn't seem to hinder any posting so is it like the Scarlet 'A' or what?

--------------------
Forever Always on Past the End

tracihedlund@charter.net[/url]
TrueSite for Blades - Blades Walkthroughs
Pixle Profusion - BoE Graphics Archive
Agent
Member # 618
Profile Homepage #28
I don't know what the "Scarlet 'A'" is, but being canned is supposed to be a form of warning for behaviour that is against the CoC (though quite frankly, compared to some people I really haven't broken enough for cannage), continue your behaviour and they change the first letter to 'B'. Get the picture?

It's generally supposed to be permanent, but they generally get lifted after a few months of good behaviour.

Same for Banned in some cases, some people get banned for a certain length of time (for example Djur during the PPP2 was banned for the mighty period of one hour) or they just get a plain and simple permaban (permanent banning).

Quite frankly though, if my new status is supposed to inspire me to be a goody-two-shoes, well, just give up, go home and ban me now. I'm just not going to change.

EDIT: (taken from CoC rules in announcements)

quote:
Members are also expected to adhere to the Code of Conduct. Any minor infraction will result in a warning, while a major transgression will result in a final warning or banning, depending on the nature of the breach of the Code of Conduct. Many, many minor infractions are also grounds for banning.
This canning is the first warning I have received about my behaviour here. It is, in fact, the first warning I have received, full stop.

quote:
What constitutes a minor infraction for a member:

+ Repeated posting of off-topic material on non-Miscellaneous forums.
+ Using vulgarity in any language (whether it's in the open, masked, or abbreviated)
These are the only two that could possibly apply, concerning minor infractions. For the first, I'd like to point out that General is a "Miscellaneous forum". For the second, if I have, show me and I'll be quite willing to put my hands up over it, but I do not remember anything recent.

quote:
What constitutes a major transgression for a member:

+ Any communication that is intended to harass, belittle, humiliate, threaten or cause embarrassment to a fellow member.
+ Hate speech against a certain group of people, due to their religion, sex, sexual orientation, nationality, etc.
+ Flooding the forums with lots of topics and posts about nothing legitimate.

Again, the only three that I could see that mught apply. For the first, only belittle and cause embarrassment, in my eyes might apply. And in both of those, it has not only been minor, but do we see Alec, tGM or Djur being canned on these grounds, when the majority of their infractions have been greater?

For the second, well I don't know why I included that, because unless not liking someone because you think they're a fool counts, I don't know.

And for the third, it is not entirely clear, and bears great resemblence to one of the minor infractions. I suppose the same argument applies.

And for that matter has Rowen deserved canning either?

Well, if there is a specific matter that I was canned for, without warning, hold it up with the reasoning and sure. But if it was just for being annoying... then why aren't half of the members canned?

[ Tuesday, September 07, 2004 06:02: Message edited by: FatBatMonkey ]

--------------------
Aut Tace Aut Loquere Meliora Silencio
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #29
quote:
Originally written by FatBatMonkey:
Quite frankly though, if my new status is supposed to inspire me to be a goody-two-shoes, well, just give up, go home and ban me now. I'm just not going to change.

Uh, Drakey? Please? Please?

And yeah, Canning is pretty much like a scarlet A (from the book The Scarlet Letter, for those who don't know). It's sort of a warning, too, as FBM said. You get Cannned for spam. Meaningless, stupid, asinine posts will get you Canned, and thus, FBM's Canning should come as a surprise to no one.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Agent
Member # 618
Profile Homepage #30
Read the above edit Kel. If there was actually something specific against spam on the boards in the CoC, combined with proactive mods, half the posts ever made on General would have been deleted, having been termed "pointless", "meaningless", "stupid" or "asinine".

[ Tuesday, September 07, 2004 06:05: Message edited by: FatBatMonkey ]

--------------------
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #31
I can only speculate on Drakey's motives, but I'd guess that "flooding" the boards is defined rather loosely and can also be done over a long period of time if the posts are stupid and annoying enough.

The difference between your posts and most of the other fairly stupid posts, FBM, is that the other stupid posts come from a variety of people (and often, even if they're stupid, they're still funny). Even if stupid topics seem to be everywhere, they were started by different people. You being annoying is pretty consistent. You have had your moments of lucidity (two, at last count, PPP2 being the more important one, and I have forgotten the other one), but they are so few and far between that "Flooding the forums with lots of topics and posts about nothing legitimate" is probably the rule that applies in this case.

EDIT: Also, hijacking a "welcome" thread is BADMEAN. :P

[ Tuesday, September 07, 2004 06:19: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Agent
Member # 4506
Profile Homepage #32
Howdy! Prepare to lose you sanity etc.

Hope you enjoy the boards. If any of the oldbies annoy you. Just use that Cheeky Grin Graemlin. It annoys some of them for a reeson.

ANd if you don't understand Howdy!, it mens Hi!, Hello!

- Archmagi Micael

--------------------
"You dare Trifle with Exile?" - Erika the Archmage
--------------------
My Scenarios:
Undead Valley : A small Undead problem, what could possibly go wrong?
--------------------
Proof of Richard Black's existance:
Richard Black - PROOF of his existance (the Infernal one's website).
Agent
Member # 618
Profile Homepage #33
Actually in General, the lucidity count is at 4. Not high, but still.

And I am perfectly okay in all non-General fora.

I have started three General topics, all of which were pretty serious in their intent.

If it is the rule you highlight Kel, and it is over a period of time that the "offence" has grown, then I know that there are more deserving who have not been canned.

Yes, I do post some stupidity, some funny, mostly considered not, but I'm only running at about 50% stupidity, when there are some running closer to 80 or 90.

Yesterday, I did go a bit on the crazy side against Ben, but nothing that would deserve instant Canned status. An official warning would have been extremely fair, that I would have taken heed to. But this stinks of kangarro justice.

However Drakey, I am willing to hear if you have a good reason under the CoC

--------------------
One Thousand Slimy Things
Member # 66
Profile #34
quote:

Actually in General, the lucidity count is at 4. Not high, but still.

And I am perfectly okay in all non-General fora.

I have started three General topics, all of which were pretty serious in their intent.

If it is the rule you highlight Kel, and it is over a period of time that the "offence" has grown, then I know that there are more deserving who have not been canned.

Yes, I do post some stupidity, some funny, mostly considered not, but I'm only running at about 50% stupidity, when there are some running closer to 80 or 90.

Yesterday, I did go a bit on the crazy side against Ben, but nothing that would deserve instant Canned status. An official warning would have been extremely fair, that I would have taken heed to. But this stinks of kangarro justice.

However Drakey, I am willing to hear if you have a good reason under the CoC

Silence! When Drakey-chama thrusts his meaty CoC in your puny face, you must learn to kneel down and take it like the ***** you are!

--------------------
Bending, but not in the way you might imagine.
Master
Member # 1046
Profile Homepage #35
[LATE]welcome to this board, beat the snot out of Ben and FBM, and leave your sanity at the door.[/LATE]

--------------------
Polaris - Weather balloons, ninjas, and your big daddy Wise Man. What more could you want?
Undead Theories - Don't Ask, Don't Tell
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #36
Read the FAQ. It answers lots of questions you may have before you even have them!

—Alorael, who was so close to being able to deliver the "leave your sanity" line himself... Oh well. Consider yourself introduced to him.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #37
You know, technically you don't have to violate the CoC to be canned. It's just a custom title, and custom titles are given out all the time to people who are particularly liked or disliked.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #38
Especially in the case of FBM, who is severely hated.

God. If you don't CARE about what people think, why advertise it on every topic?

--------------------
人 た ち を 燃 え る た め に 俺 は か れ ら に 火 を 上 げ る か ら 死 ん だ
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #39
I think you are obviously a little uncertain as to what 'canned' signifies.

IMAGE(http://cfa-www.harvard.edu/~mphelps/images/spam.JPG)

Thou art now enlightened.

--------------------
The biggest, the baddest, and the fattest.
Infiltrator
Member # 4389
Profile Homepage #40
Praise be, God! Alec. Whatever.

--------------------
fame fame fatal fame
it can play hideous tricks on the brain
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #41
I will die a happy man.

Ironically enough, my name is Death. today.

--------------------
The critics agree!

Demonslayer is "a five star hit!" raves TIMES Weekly!

"I've never heard such thoughtful comments. This man is a genious!" says two-time Nobel Prize winning physicist Erwin Rasputin!
Posts: 1582 | Registered: Wednesday, November 13 2002 08:00
Agent
Member # 1993
Profile #42
Hey FBM, you got a custom title, congrats! And Rowen too o_o
I never could see a big difference between your spam and the spam of some other posters, I could laugh a lot about your flaming - thus this title might be more a respect. Be proud ^_^
Rowen even got it with only 90 posts, woah. I wonder, why he hides his rating now.

--------------------
^ö^ vegetarians are sexy.
Warrior
Member # 4537
Profile Homepage #43
*Tinny version of Rule Britannia plays*

Welcome my child!
Experience more!

Also, I don't understand much of the hatred that flies around here either.

Thou art greater!

--------------------
Digital Neko - more nekojin per capita than you can beat senseless! Now featuring all-new subdomain!
Vote Richter! Belmont in 2004!
Agent
Member # 618
Profile Homepage #44
Taking it one at a time:

Artic: had no point so bleh.

Alo: was seemingly talking to the newb, so I don't know why he's included.

Thuryl: nice one dearie, but the last custom to be given out to my knowledge was Icshi's. They're not that common.

TM: when did I say that I didn't care what people thought? That would generate a severe level of selfishness and lack of empathy. Two things I'm not noted for.

Alec: if so (which is not in the CoC), then there ARE far more deserving.

Spy.there: thanks, I think. I honestly can't tell whether you are joking or being serious, so I'll assume the latter. I really couldn't see a large difference either. Nor a real reason for Rowen.

I have received no reason for a normal canning, and cannot think of a good reason under the CoC. I have not even received prior warning. If it was for a reason outside of the CoC, then what was the point? By doing so, it makes the CoC irrelevant.

I think the bottom line here is, Drakey, if you could do one or more of the following:

1. If taken as the normal type of canning, actually define the reason under the rules set down by the CoC. And explain why no prior warning was given over the matter, if it was a multiple offence.

2. If it is a normal type of canning, not for any real reason under the CoC, undo it.

3. If it is a normal type of canning, for no reason under the CoC, nor any good explanation whatsoever, yet still intended as a warning for behaviour, or something similar, ban me now. Because under those circumstances, I am not going to change.

4. If this is meant as a joke, or (even more unlikely) an "honourary" title, do tell.

5. And the reason for Rowen's?

--------------------
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #45
Does it honestly matter that much? Sheesh I would Can you after that display of immaturity.

I say just give it a break...

--------------------
The critics agree!

Demonslayer is "a five star hit!" raves TIMES Weekly!

"I've never heard such thoughtful comments. This man is a genious!" says two-time Nobel Prize winning physicist Erwin Rasputin!
Posts: 1582 | Registered: Wednesday, November 13 2002 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 2123
Profile #46
quote:

[QB]an "honourary" title[QB]
I wouldn't mind having this as a title.

Spy: I'm not "hiding" my karma. I only got rated once and that was a 3. I turned off my karma becuase it was not being used. Why have someing up if it's not being used. I'll turn it back on for a few days and if I get rated I will just leave it on.

Also, 90 post and I got canned, is this a record?

--------------------
With his last breath he took in more power then any Guardian could hold, then with a scream of pain and furry he unleashed it all to form a barrier betwen the Mantia and the Darkness.
Agent
Member # 618
Profile Homepage #47
It matters by principal. I do not see a good reason for it, so why does it happen?

A display of immaturity is no reason for canning. If it was, then why not can most of the members? Because it's certain that at one point or another they have had childish streaks.

And if I was not canned for any reason under the CoC, then why do we even have it? And if we do not have it, what is allowed and what isn't? If the CoC does not exist, then no rules exist, and then you'd end up with a tyranny.

EDIT: More so, WHY ON EARTH WAS ROWEN CANNED?? There is even less reason.

EDIT2: Rowen, possibly for canning. Definately not for any type of non-ordinary title.

[ Tuesday, September 07, 2004 15:54: Message edited by: FatBatMonkey ]

--------------------
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #48
quote:
Originally written by Rowen:

quote:
[b]Originally written by The Great 4808:

Oh, and for Rowen:
HAHAHAHAHA!!!11!1! I got reply #13 of this topic!

~I'm the best person that ever lived!

That's Rowen behavior.
Yah, something like that.[/b]
Also, I'm rather pleasantly surprised that I didn't get canned also. I must be doing something right.

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
Shock Trooper
Member # 4942
Profile #49
Hmmm... I am glad to see that my thread is turning out so nicely. I never thought I could attract 48 replies or whatever it is. Do you all consider my sudden outburst in my first post:

quote:
"*In a high pitch voice*TRA-LALA WHAMBAM...SHIZAM! OOGLE WOOGLE MOOGLE
*In a low, despondent evil menace tone*
MWA HA HA HA HAAAA...."
Is considered an act of insanity? Or rather, evidence that what little sanity I had before I joined is now at the door? If not, what are some acts of insanity?

And Ms. Magic Hunter Grrrl, thank you for your very nice compliment. You know, I don't get that one every day. Actually I don't get that one at all. And I am very honored to have such folks as Alorael, Drakefyre, Thuryl, and Mr. TM ( I LOVE your scenarios! Especially the Bandits series. I'm still working on #2 though.) post on my thread. And if I didn't mention your name, its not because you are not important, I just saw and read a lot of these guys' posts as a wanderer.

And also, thanks 'yall for posting. It feels good to get replies; especially in a new place, it makes you feel welcome. :)

[ Tuesday, September 07, 2004 17:28: Message edited by: Wham Bam Shizam ]

--------------------
Wham Bam Shizam

Pages