Doom 3

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Doom 3
Shock Trooper
Member # 3073
Profile Homepage #0
Doom 3 is obviously a new game and there is no computer on the market today, that can handle all of its system requirements.

Its system requirements are:

An Nvidia GeForce 3 graphics card or ATI Technologies 8500 : Gamers should splurge for a GPU from Nvidia's GeForce FX or 6800 line or ATI's Radeon 9800 or X800 series. Frugal PC owners can make do with a GeForce 5900XT or a Radeon 9600XT.

A 1.5-gigahertz Intel Pentium 4 chip or AMD Athlon 1500 : Though these will run the game, it is suggested a 2GHz Pentium or equivalent, with the "ideal" processor being 3 GHz or over.

384MB of memory : This is a minimum requirement, and the recommended is 512MB at least, with 1GB preferred.

Two GB of hard drive space :. Four GB is suggested if your PC is running low on free space.

--------------------
I am the way into the doleful city
I am the way into eternal grief,
I am the way to a foresaken race.
Justice it was that moved my great creator;
Divine omnipotence created me,
And highest wisdom joined with primal love.
Before me nothing but eternal things
Were made, and I shall last eternally
Abandon all hope, all you who enter.

Babelicious
Member # 3149
Profile Homepage #1
I have all of those except the GF3. (Still running on a GF2GTS.)

It's a pretty good game. I'll probably buy it once I upgrade my video card and they release the Linux version.

--------------------
I've got a pyg in a poke.
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #2
Some notes for those who don't know...

NV6800 128Mb = $300
Ati X800 Pro 256Mb = $480

NV5900XT = Um, somewhere up there
Ati 9600XT = <$200

As for the RAM, you must get pretty fast RAM as well as a lot of it.

You can get a CPU that will run the game fairly well for 150 - 200 dollars, I think.

But the game can be tweaked, and I am not authoritative in the game's performance because I haven't played it, much less on different computers yet.

--------------------
What do I put here?
-Garrison
Infiltrator
Member # 1877
Profile #3
I have it, plays perfectly fine on 640 x 480, and it still looks abseloutely gourgeus!

1800+ CPU
512 MB DDR Ram
128 MB ASUS Radeon 9600 XT
280 GB storage (total)

--------------------
33111-CRUSADER-4849
Lifecrafter
Member # 3310
Profile #4
Oh? I didn't know it was out yet.

Not that it matters. I'll have to wait for the Xbox version anyway, and it will most probably be lots of crap.

--------------------
ahhahaha i rule u droool
Master
Member # 1046
Profile Homepage #5
i'm getting a new PC soon, and yes, i'm buying Doom 3 at the same time. so, i need your opinion: given a budget of $1300, what parts should i buy? assume that i only need to worry about the tower - i plan to reuse my speaker, keyboard, mouse, and LCD mon.

EDIT: that would be $1300 CAD, for those of you who don't know i'm from Toronto.

[ Thursday, August 12, 2004 07:16: Message edited by: Wisemanism: the Religion ]

--------------------
Polaris - Weather balloons, ninjas, and your big daddy Wise Man. What more could you want?
Undead Theories - Don't Ask, Don't Tell
Infiltrator
Member # 4637
Profile Homepage #6
I'll try it in my Athlon XP 1500 (1333MHz), GeForce 3 64MB and 512 MB DDR RAM.

Lol, I'm curious if the game will play the same style as a powerpoint presentation. :D

I would try it in my notebook (P4 2800MHz, 512MB DDR RAM, ATI RADEON Mobility 9000 64MB), but it seems Doom 3's graphics engine uses the cards in a different way, that makes them overheat. I won't risk damaging my notebook. Again.

edit: it only overheats notebook cards. Desktop ones with a better cooling system won't.

[ Thursday, August 12, 2004 07:35: Message edited by: Overwhelming ]

--------------------
Visit the Blades of Avernum Center
and the Beta Testing Center

--------------
"Beware lest anyone cheat you through philosophy and empty deceit, according to the tradition of men, according to the basic principles of the world, and not according to Christ." Colossians 2:6-9
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #7
The Nvidia 6600 GT GPU has just been announced, and it has a MSRP of ~$200!!!!!!
!!!!
!!!
!!
!

--------------------
What do I put here?
-Garrison
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #8
Considering no one believed me when I said before that DooM3 will rock your socks, I say it again. It rocks your socks. You won't find a better looking game. If that's not your thing, then consider the truly frightening gameplay (not "WTF man! WTF!" frightening. BOO-gotcha frightening). You will not rush through this game, unless of course you use God-mode. If THAT'S not your thing, then consider the intense multiplayer deathmatch rounds. Sure, I've only had the game since August 3rd, but it already tops my old multiplayer favorite, Quake2. It is purely hectic, yet strangly methodolical.

You may have read how the game sends you the story and other gameplay elements at such a wonderful pace, nearly perfect. And that's more than true.

It's not perfect; certainly with it's downfalls. Luckily, these are minute things, some of which can be fixed by a simple download of a ~200kb mod. My main complaint: The weapon sounds. They don't pack the punch we've all read about in previews a year or too ago. Maybe id thought they'd get in the way. Who knows? Fact is, you may want to go ahead and find one of the sound-modifying mods out there before you even start your quest. Other, more minor, complains: Heavy requirements, slightly out-of-place humor stabs, and a near useless physics model. But that's all dandy. And you won't be thinking about those problems while you're trying desperatly to shoot down a demon you can barely see!

Bottom, if you are one of the lucky enough people to have a decent job and make enough money to build a modern gamer's machine, then go for it and don't look back. It's an instant classic. Reminds me, in many ways, of Half-Life's first debut.

Was that all off-topic?

--------------------
The critics agree!

Demonslayer is "a five star hit!" raves TIMES Weekly!

"I've never heard such thoughtful comments. This man is a genious!" says two-time Nobel Prize winning physicist Erwin Rasputin!
Posts: 1582 | Registered: Wednesday, November 13 2002 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 1877
Profile #9
No.

I just tried to play it with ultra high settings, and it played on average 18 FPS! Thats enough for me!

EDIT: And by the way, its scary, more scary than The Ring, so f-ing scary I have to play in full daylight where I am now, I hear whispering, and thats the most scary whispering I have ever heard.

[ Thursday, August 12, 2004 13:20: Message edited by: Dawn of Victory ]

--------------------
33111-CRUSADER-4849
Babelicious
Member # 3149
Profile Homepage #10
quote:
Originally written by The Demonslayer:

Considering no one believed me when I said before that DooM3 will rock your socks, I say it again. It rocks your socks.
It's not that we didn't believe it'd be good. It's the rest of what you said that made you sound like a pompous buffoon. And how you claimed you knew how good it'd be without having ever played it, of course, and then claiming that in fact you HAD played it because you are a famous game critic and smartey underwear model.

--------------------
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #11
Interesting. I didn't say I was a famous game critic. Just freelance. And whether or not you think I played it before August 3rd is irrelevant, seeing as I do now.

t Dawn of Victory: Try playing it at least once at around midnight, with all the lights out and your speakers turned up well. Video games have never been so involving.

--------------------
The critics agree!

"I've never heard such thoughtful comments. This man is a genious!" says two-time Nobel Prize winning physicist Erwin Rasputin!
Babelicious
Member # 3149
Profile Homepage #12
IMAGE(http://www.dotucson.com/shop/orienteast/img/lantern.jpg)

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 1877
Profile #13
I do not understand the meaning of that picture, is that the point?

--------------------
33111-CRUSADER-4849
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #14
It was some kind of strike against me. Andrea doesn't like me, and I usually return the favor. We have that kind of relationship.

Anyway, try the pitch-dark thing. It's fun. If that's what you call fun.

--------------------
The critics agree!

Infiltrator
Member # 1877
Profile #15
Yes! People who use the duct tape plug (you don't need to hide your weapon to use the flashlight) are weak.

--------------------
33111-CRUSADER-4849
Shock Trooper
Member # 3022
Profile #16
Oh puhleez.

Doom 3 is, to put it simply, System Shock, lightened up, simplified, with better graphics (but NOT sound), and the Doom monster set. If you find Doom 3's cheap "spawning behind you in dark places" scary.... SS2, and to a less extent SS1 will make your brain explode. :eek:

Eww. Messy.
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #17
What?

Have you even played DooM3? It's really not much like SS at all.

But if you can't be budged, is it really that bad of a thing? SS2 was great (in my opinion).

--------------------
The critics agree!

Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #18
Er, I don't have the hardware at all. :(

AMD 1.5GHz
Integrated Graphics (man do I hate this)
128MB shared memory (it doesn't look like I'll be getting more either)
18GB Free disk space (yay, good enough)

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #19
No room for FPSes on my machine.

My loss then, I suppose.

--------------------
私のバラドですそしてころしたいいらればころす
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #20
Well the genre just doesn't do it for some people. Sadly, I've been addicted to FPSs since Wolfenstein 3D; though DooM is what pretty much got me stuck.

Also, tBen, 1.5 Ghz should work just fine, though from the looks of the rest of your hardware, you wouldn't stand a chance anyway. That and the fact that it REQUIRES as low as a Radeon 8500.

So yes you might have to stick with Spiderweb if you want good games that will work. But that's not so bad now is it?

--------------------
The critics agree!

Lifecrafter
Member # 3310
Profile #21
Don't forget consoles, men! Both Doom 3 and Half-life 2 are coming out on Xbox. You might think you're oh-so-much-cooler-computer-players, but I swear, consoles are making a comeback. They say Xbox can handle anything Doom 3 throws at it. Of course, no one believes this but still. :P

And speaking of FPS, we get Halo 2 fresh out of Bungie's oven. In your face, computo-dudes!

--------------------
ahhahaha i rule u droool
Infiltrator
Member # 1877
Profile #22
Bungie has decided Halo-2 will be released at the same time for both PC and XboX, and Doom 3 looks much better on PC than on XboX, ive seen it. So: :P

--------------------
33111-CRUSADER-4849
BANNED
Member # 4623
Profile Homepage #23
..you find those system requirements to be too high?

I've Ati Radeon 9600XT, a 2.5 Intel Pentium processor, 512MB or memory, and ~100GB of space (of which, ~60 free). So kekeke, you ones with sucky machines. :P

[ Friday, August 13, 2004 08:45: Message edited by: Manuel the Maleman ]

--------------------
The Great Mister

kommari@gmail.com[/url]
Infiltrator
Member # 1877
Profile #24
The 9600XT is a nice card ^_^

Next thing im gona get is a sound card or a new procesor, but im low on cash right now.

[ Friday, August 13, 2004 12:26: Message edited by: Dawn of Victory ]

--------------------
33111-CRUSADER-4849

Pages