RP in the planning.

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: RP in the planning.
Shaper
Member # 517
Profile #25
The alternative is faction-based RPs, where you control a large group of people (most likely a whole nation) and time passes, for the main part, somewhat faster than it does in a character-based RP.

-E-

--------------------
Let them eat cake!

Polaris Boards: The System is Up. Perennially.
Lifecrafter
Member # 3320
Profile #26
General magic like that in Exile is allowed.

--------------------
(Looks around in the Study)
Colonel Mustard: "Just checking."
Mrs. Peacock: "Everything all right?"
Colonel Mustard: "Yep. Two corpses. Everything's fine."

"Keep your wits about you, the game is afoot!!" - Sherlock Holmes
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #27
I drastically prefer factionals, but I might just look into this one if BtI approves of it.

--------------------
AnamaFreak (3:59:56 AM): Shounen-ai to the MAX
...there really is nothing that can compare to hot gay sex with a mythological icon.
Warrior
Member # 1856
Profile Homepage #28
so ummm.... When are we going to start?

--------------------
Please visit the RP Paridise. rgf-network!

The chance of someone looking at you is directly proportonal to the stupidity of your act.

The idea is not to give your life for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his.
Agent
Member # 27
Profile #29
Probably when MSW gets enough people to join, and approves all their characters.

--------------------
Live teh fez.
Guardian
Member # 2339
Profile #30
Forgive my ignorance, but...

We had to get our characters approved of in advance?

--------------------
Entertaining songs !Click here to get to the misc. boards!
Attack, icons, attack!THIS PAGE ROCKS!!
Vicious virus stalks the web, has already infected over 200 computers: read more!
"AH-CHOO!"
-George Washington
Agent
Member # 618
Profile Homepage #31
I didn't think we did. All I think we're waiting on is the map that MSW asked Aran to make. If we do have to get them cleared then someone make it a little more obvious.

I think the only restrictions were that they had to be normal humans. Although if we don't receive further clarification here, I am fairly sure we will when it gets started up.

--------------------
I like to say quack because I can, I like to say moooo because I can, but I don't like saying ergle flmp because I can never pronounce phenomenon first try.

In conclusion, quack, moooo and phenonemenonmenonnon... Oh Poo.

http://s4.invisionfree.com/Ultimate_RP/index.php Try it!
Lifecrafter
Member # 3320
Profile #32
Two or three people have asked me to approve their character in advance. You can ask, but you don't really need to. Nonetheless, it might be a good idea to do so to avoid conflict in the RP.

I am also waiting to discuss the possibility of extra character roles with Drakefyre, Omlette, and Arancaytar. Premonition gave her opinion that they really aren't needed, and a rescue party of humans would be best. Now I have to wait to talk to the others.

And then there's the map of course. But I have been unable to talk to Arancaytar for days. He hasn't come online and I don't know if he received my email.

--------------------

Lifecrafter
Member # 3320
Profile #33
Incredibly Sad had some questions about the RP that I will answer here.

- It seems Cartouche has no control over Jenarva, is it so?

That is somewhat correct. Cartouche hadn't the manpower or the ability to control it at first. However, when King Jenarva took over, he ruled in the name of Cartouche. However, he is the king, so he has his own power. People are allowed to come and go between the two continents by boat if they wish.

- Efreet: Do you use the traditional creature?

Yes. It is the same as the creature found in Exile 3.

- Is Xelvia settled, even sparsely, before the mountains?
- From what I understood Xelvia and Jenarva are connected in the same way Europe and Asia are, is it so?

Tall snow-capped mountains separate Xelvia and Jenarva. They are how the people distinguish the two continents from each other. Xelvia was explored minutely when the first expeditions were sent out from Cartouche. However, no one lives anywhere in the continent of Xelvia today, except for the newly established colony. Only Jenarva is settled. Despite the fact that ruins were discovered in both Jenarva and Xelvia, no evidence of anyone still living in Xelvia has ever been found.

- I suppose the settlers were sent with food stocks and seeds to make them as self-sufficient as possible. Most of the crops used today are edible in summer but need to be seeded in early September. Seven months, a week, and twice the time to travel there would make it spring. It is a closed valley, cumulonimbus usually go from 300m to 17000 depending on the latitude, so the weather would be not too warm, sunny, and a bit humid. Is it so? If not just say what kind of weather should be expected.

The Valley of Thunder is basically as you say. It's very similar to that of Florida and California where food can be grown year round. It did not take more than two weeks to travel to the Valley of Thunder. It is not as far a journey as you think. It only seems that way because Xelvia is a large continent. As for the latitude, it is close to sea level, and comfortably warm. The valley would have a Mediterranean climate. There is also a single mountain pass that goes between the two continents, but it is seldom used and rather rugged.

- How different are priest and mage orders?

I'm not quite sure what that means, but the priests and mages in my RP are similar to what you would find in Exile.

- Is there any desert?

There is a single very small desert area on Jenarva and two small areas in Xelvia, but neither is located in the Valley of Thunder.

--------------------

This Side Towards Enemy
Member # 3098
Profile #34
If you're going to post those details, you may as well give the whole backstory now.

--------------------
"I particularly like the part where he claims not to know what self-aggrandisement means, then demands more wing-wongs up his virgin ass"
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #35
Working on that map still, sorry. I've no internet connection from my own PC as of now, so I don't have AIM, only email and this board, and that sparsely.

Character approval is no significant thing really. All that it does is keep out blobs of jelly, giant cicadas, flying mutant lizards and people with atom-splitting swords, and that's what we want anyway, right?

[ Monday, May 31, 2004 04:54: Message edited by: Arancaytar ]

--------------------
Visit The Santharian Dream and its RP board. Or the Encyclopaedia Ermariana!
Got a brain? Go to Polaris!
"It is as if everyone had lost their sense
To a conspiracy for downfall and desperance
And a wisp it is they have chosen as their beacon." Reinhard Mey (freely translated)
Apprentice
Member # 4398
Profile Homepage #36
When does this RP start? It sounds well thought out, and thats something I've been looking for for a long time (yahoo RPs... yeesh). Or is it too late to get in on this?

--------------------
Part of a shot contest is knowing when to say "Yeah, I'm done", and not yelling "Frrreeedom !" like William Wallace instead.
Apprentice
Member # 4398
Profile Homepage #37
Also ... Giant cicadas??

--------------------
Part of a shot contest is knowing when to say "Yeah, I'm done", and not yelling "Frrreeedom !" like William Wallace instead.
Agent
Member # 27
Profile #38
Considering that it hasn't started yet, and that you do not need to get your characters approved ahead of time, I'd say there is plenty of time to join.

--------------------
Live teh fez.
Agent
Member # 3349
Profile Homepage #39
I'd like to hear your RP Sherlock. It sounds interesting.

--------------------
Espresso hasn't been invented yet. That stinks.

Xian Skull-
Avernum 3
Apprentice
Member # 4398
Profile Homepage #40
Ok, granted that may have been a stupid question, what with them not announcing the start of the RP yet, but I still wanted to make sure.

My other question still stands though... I mean, I've played some interesting characters ( I was a frying pan for a while... don't ask) but... cicadas ?

--------------------
Agent
Member # 27
Profile #41
as for you second question... Aran just used it as an example meant to discourage people from playing different types of characters, godly or normal (Like cicadas). Its strictly human, except for a select few they might ask to play as demons or something.

--------------------
Live teh fez.
Lifecrafter
Member # 3320
Profile #42
There will be no demon characters. Group discussion has halted that idea. And survivors will probably be out of the question as well because they will make things more complicated. Sorry. All humans or dwarfs if need be.

And I would recommend getting your character approved of first. It will help the RP go more smoothly when it gets started.

[ Monday, May 31, 2004 13:18: Message edited by: Sherlock Holmes ]

--------------------

Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #43
Name: Souczescio Arfon Chadussid.
Physical:
Human, 23.
Hair and eyes red, skin tone exceptionally pale, nationality unknown. Slight, unplaceable accent. Moderate height, thin build, with blunt physical and facial features and deliberate mannerisms that suggest predictability and harmlessness. Tendency to wear enveloping mottled field-gray uniform in spite of climactic conditions, complete with slouch cap; obvious reason being the fact that he would get a sunburn in the subarctic winter.
Background: Holds a noncommissioned officer's rank in a wing of the Army which specializes in research and recovery, with dabblings in black ops. No serious stuff, though, just the occasional espionage and infiltration.
This means that Souczescio is a sort of ranger, being trained slightly with all available weapons but best with his bare hands and the environment around him.
Forte: Various forms of stealth.. Traps concealed by ocular methods are utterly unlikely to slip by him, and traps concealed by magical methods are still more likely than not to be detected. Between his skill for discovering traps and his training with making them, it also means that any which he puts down are basically completely invisible to the untrained eye. His skills also extend to stealthy movement, likely to be useful in an unsettled area.

Souczescio is likely to be a government agent; the government is not malicious, and if it's trying to hide anything, he wouldn't know about it, but this also means that if something goes wrong and it falls upon him to forcibly quarantine the area, he will be completely willing to execute such a quarantine.
Essentially unlikely to disobey orders, and likely to be very dangerous to those that choose to.

--------------------
...there really is nothing that can compare to hot gay sex with a mythological icon.
Babelicious
Member # 3149
Profile Homepage #44
Maaya. Female, 35.

A somewhat tall woman with a quiet, authoritative demeanor. Wields a heavy crossbow with exceptional skill; some would suspect that her accuracy over long distance is supported via magic. Certainly, she has some skill at enchanting bolts.
She appears to have lived some time in relative isolation. Her speech and vestments are somewhat barbarous but quite intelligible; moreover, she is prone to sudden outbursts of extreme eloquence. It would seem that there is more to Maaya's background than that of a simple ranger.
Her competence in ranging the outdoors is indisputable and her skill in battle formidable, but she is overly trusting and canny. She is honest, and expects that everyone else is as well. This often leads to problems.

--------------------
Beatoff Valley: A story told out of order.
Lifecrafter
Member # 3320
Profile #45
Just for future note...I would prefer that people PM me with their characters, not post them for all to see. Leave that up to when the RP starts.

Andrea, your character is approved.

Custer, I will approve your character, but be warned. This is an RP happening in a Middle Ages sort of time. No special weapons that you wouldn't find available at that time. And also, this is a kingdom ruled by a king. They would have a government of a sort, but they would never call it that in this world. Here, it?s called a mutual anarchy, as there are two kings ruling on two continents over land they both share.

Plus, try not to bring espionage into this RP. Spies would exist, but as the continent is peaceful, they really would not be as advanced as James Bond or the FBI.

--------------------

Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #46
So you're saying that even though the kingdom is co-ruled by two monarchs who are equally powerful in theory -- with absolutely no hierarchy of power -- and you believe there wouldn't be spies? IMAGE(tongue01.gif)

The branch my character hails from is the sort of casual ranger elites you'd expect from a middle-age military. In a war, they'd almost definitely be the spearhead, since they're trained to fight with their heads and their instincts more than their sword-arms.
In other words, closer to military black ops than CIA or FBI work. Combat espionage.

Note that this character is adaptible. Hand-to-hand combat is not era-specific; I just said he's overpoweringly likely to know which end of any given periodic weapon you have to point at the other guy, but prefers to fight without specific weapons.

[ Tuesday, June 01, 2004 11:05: Message edited by: CUSTER FOLGT DER MASCHINE ]

--------------------
Lifecrafter
Member # 3320
Profile #47
Is it really necessary to turn a simple rescue mission RP into an international spying plot RP?

Not to mention I have no idea what black ops are.

--------------------

One Thousand Slimy Things
Member # 66
Profile #48
Depending how advanced this world is, spies/assassins act differently. Although in the late middle-ages there were specially trained assassins and spies, mostly many of them were just nobles or thugs looking for an opportunity for some extra pocket fillings. Spies of that age usually had a contact to someone in a very high position, making a loyal, trained character like Alec's very dangerous. Potential anti-hero(Lurve). Then there is potential for religious/political factions, organized crime circles etc...So you better check what that tavern wench slipped into your drink. ^^

I lurk, seeing if this RP evolves to something.
I'd imagine my char to be a mute squire who likes long walks and sunsets.

--------------------
There was no happy ending.
This Side Towards Enemy
Member # 3098
Profile #49
Black ops just generally refers to elite military units which do not advertise their existence.

However, I don't see that it matters that much at present whether character A may or may not be feeding information to a figure a long distance away. Due to lack of contact, the character would not be getting adaptive orders and would largely have to act on his own initiative. Anyway, characters with hidden agendas are more fun.

My character:
Kenthred, male, in his early to mid thirties.
Professional soldier, most recently serving in several campaigns against bandits on the other side of Jenarva. Reasons for relocating to the Valley of Thunder unclear.
Physically unexceptional. Fit, as you would expect a veteran heavy infantryman to be, although prone to binge drinking, but not immensely strong. Nondescript brown hair and eyes. In social situations, he tends to blend into the background. Only really notable characteristic is an all-pervading stubbornness.
Trained in the use of a spear and sword. Comes equipped with his own tower shield. More used to fighting in a shield wall, but should adapt quickly if need be. The sort of person you'd want to have on your side in a fight, but not the sort likely to be immortalised in song.

--------------------
"I particularly like the part where he claims not to know what self-aggrandisement means, then demands more wing-wongs up his virgin ass"

Pages