I am now..

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: I am now..
Agent
Member # 1993
Profile #25
quote:
Originally written by Custerbly Numb:

I prefer my phones without blood on them, thanks.
Thank you Alec for caring about connections IMAGE(smile000.gif)
TGM, you bought it? We get them for free with a supscription ...

--------------------
^ö^ Vegetarians are sexy.
ben* and GIFTS yearn for your one-star-vote.
Lifecrafter
Member # 3608
Profile Homepage #26
Why do you think I care? Don't spoil my happiness here, goddammit!

--------------------
- The Great Mister

kommari@gmail.com[/url]
Infiltrator
Member # 737
Profile #27
I just got one of those in a Happy Meal.

--------------------
Who was born in a house full of pain
Who was trained not to spit in the fan
Who was told what to do by the man
Who was broken by trained personnel
Who was fitted with collar and chain
Who was given a pat on the back
Who was breaking away from the pack
Who was only a stranger at home
Who was ground down in the end
Who was found dead on the phone
Who was dragged down by the stone
Agent
Member # 618
Profile Homepage #28
Bet you were hoping for the Action Man toy, weren't you?

--------------------
I like to say quack because I can, I like to say moooo because I can, but I don't like saying ergle flmp because I can never pronounce phenomenon first try.

In conclusion, quack, moooo and phenonemenonmenonnon... Oh Poo.

http://s4.invisionfree.com/Ultimate_RP/index.php Try it!
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #29
Morgan, give me proof that TGM's cell phone is funding terrible, bloody wars and I will agree with you completely. However, the article states that "in recent months many electronics companies have publicly rejected the use of coltan from anywhere in Central Africa, instead relying on their main suppliers in Australia." Not "making their suppliers in Australia their main ones"; it specifically says that the main suppliers, as it stands, are in Australia. Not only that, but the cell phone companies are now relying even more heavily on what were already their main suppliers.

As for me, I don't have a cell phone. I've been in countless situations where it would have been very useful to have one, but my parents, afraid that we'd rack up huge bills, refuse to buy them for our family. I don't feel like spending the money, myself. That really is ugly, TGM, but does it matter? I mean, who buys cell phones for decoration? Other than... half my school... um... not TGM, anyway.

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

TEH CONSPIRACY IZ ALL

In case of emergency, break glass.
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #30
Most small, modern cell phones are made using tantalum transistors, which offer a much greater rate of efficiency than the elements conventionally used; in fact, without the advent of tantalum transistors, cell phones as a whole would remain as clunky and big as the one I use.

Coltan is collected in huge quantities from various suppliers, but the process of refining it is not something most electronics companies have anything more than casual investments in. The refining companies, for the most part, do not care much one way or the other if the coltan comes from North Dakota, the Outback, or the Congo. The coltan originating in the Congo is, in particular, cheaper than any other varieties, and without any significant pressure from the media or any real government, the refining concerns are just as likely to purchase Congolese coltan as anything else.

The ABC story, while a good introduction to the issue, actually does a lot of sugar-coating. The Rwandan and Ugandan armies do not go in there with their own corps of laborers; in many cases, filibusters cross the border, steal the metal, and then go back to their own countries -- where no coltan exists, mind -- and sell the stuff at sub-market rates to refining concerns, who sell it to electronics companies, who make your pocket-sized phones.

Then there's the warlords and even some units of the respective armies, who enslave 'miners' in the area to collect the ore for them. I'm not talking 'enslave' in the 'they are paid only enough to eat from day to day' sense; I mean literal forced labor at gunpoint. People die over coltan, plain and simple.

Of course, you don't care. You were willing to invade Iraq and slaughter thousands of civilians without any clear evidence of WMD or any clear plan to create a democratic government, but denouncing producers of frivolous consumer goods for taking part in warfare, slavery, and genocide? What the hell kind of Christian am I?

--------------------
AnamaFreak (3:59:56 AM): Shounen-ai to the MAX
...there really is nothing that can compare to hot gay sex with a mythological icon.
Infiltrator
Member # 2242
Profile #31
Wow... shiny...

--------------------
"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster... when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss also gazes back into you."
-Friedrich Nietzsche

"There is no dodging the quad laser." -Ignignok
Agent
Member # 1104
Profile Homepage #32
Congrats TGM! Radiation in ear is highly approved by most people. IMAGE(tongue01.gif)

BTW, have you found a good webhost yet or are you still looking for one?

--------------------
Chance Forums
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #33
*sigh* Alec, you know very well that I said nothing about Christianity; you and Morgan were the only ones who mentioned it. Funny how the ultra-con fundie doesn't think about pulling religion into the conflict while the oh-so-pure liberals are eager to do so...

I think the refining companies may care more than you think, especially when their customers begin to demand change. I mean, not everyone is a kind-hearted as you are, but I'm sure there are a few out there, and they have no reason to avoid the cell phone industry like the plague.

Conditions are horrible almost everywhere; Rwanda, Uganda, and the Congo are by no means alone in that. The wars are funded in many ways, not just by coltan, and anyway, as I said, why not go to the source of the problem? Coltan would not be used to fund African wars if there were no African wars. If you think a widespread boycott on Congolese coltan will end the wars, you are dead wrong. These people are flexible; coltan mining is not the only source of money they can find. Even if the boycott worked, they would simply move on to something else and we'd have the same problem all over again. We must go to the sources, whatever they are; coltan is not a source of these conflicts. People die over coltan, yes; people die over many things. Taking coltan out of the picture would only free up a spot for something else to take its place.

I said from the beginning that Iraq was not about WMD, and that setting up a democratic system would not be easy. It hasn't failed yet; you don't know that it will. Denouncing Nokia as a participant in warfare, slavery, and genocide is ridiculous.

Alec, honestly, what is wrong with you? You make it sound like I enjoy slaughtering innocent civilians, like I'd support a war just for that purpose. Are you incredibly stupid, or do you ignore everything I say that doesn't support your assumptions and your purposes, or do you just like making offhand comments about people, Christians like yourself, not caring about death and destruction and even taking part in it for no reason other than to line their pockets? If you'd actually pay attention, you'd know that my motives have absolutely nothing to do with oil, and everything to do with freedom and a good future. What you say and imply about me is, quite simply, slanderous. Of course, you don't care.

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

TEH CONSPIRACY IZ ALL

In case of emergency, break glass.
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #34
You are sheep.

--------------------
...there really is nothing that can compare to hot gay sex with a mythological icon.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #35
quote:
Originally written by spy.there:

TGM, you bought it? We get them for free with a supscription ...

I hope you realise those aren't actually free. The price of the phone is built into the cost of the plan.

--------------------
I'd be tender, I'd be gentle
And awful sentimental
Regarding love and art
I'd be friends with the sparrows
And the boy who shoots the arrows,
If I only had a heart.
One Thousand Slimy Things
Member # 66
Profile #36
Now let's forget that Alec ever mentioned Iraq or that Morgan brought up Christianity. This is about TGM's neat mobile.

And David, I hope you were being sarcastic about Alec being kind-hearted. Also, personal insults are a no-no. Alec, if you cannot find any more arguments to support you, admit your defeat instead of insulting David.

I think that the main argument was bluntly destroyed by "in recent months many electronics companies have publicly rejected the use of coltan from anywhere in Central Africa", and I have no doubt Nokia is one of them. TGM has a nice, red mobile that has no blood in it. What he should have done is get a model with a camera in it and take pictures of his team's locker room... IMAGE(wink0001.gif)

Edit: *Smacks self* Should pay more attention to TGM, as disturbing as that might be. Of course it has a camera.

[ Thursday, May 06, 2004 23:47: Message edited by: ArcticWaffles ]

--------------------
There was no happy ending.
Guardian
Member # 3521
Profile #37
I believe the phone does come with a camera, and he has certainly stated that he's planning to post pictures. He's been somewhat vague about the nature of these pictures, but I believe you'll find out, rather soon, whether your wish has been granted.

--------------------
Stughalf

"The death-knell of the republic had rung as soon as the active power became lodged in the hands of those who sought, not to do justice to all citizens, rich and poor alike, but to stand for one special class and for its interests as opposed to the interests of others."- Theodore Roosevelt, 1903.
Lifecrafter
Member # 3310
Profile #38
quote:
Originally written by ArcticWaffles:

TGM has a nice, red mobile that has no blood in it.
Uhmm...yes. Red.

This might be even more serious than we had thought. But I'm ready to belive just about anything of TGM. IMAGE(tongue01.gif)
Warrior
Member # 3804
Profile #39
Originally written by Firedrake:
quote:
Wow... shiny...
Yes and nice colour too! It's a pitty the design is a bit funny though but as long as it works i suppose that's the main thing.

I used to be anti-mobile myself, i still worry for people who waste away half their day on them (but then again think of computers), but as i became the onwer of a nokia 3200 myself yesterday i guess they're not so bad afterall. IMAGE(biggrin1.gif) In moderation that is.

--------------------
"This......is a TREE! What's it for?" -Exile III
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #40
Sir David, you should be hung.

But seeing how you aren't, I can understand how conservatism appeals to you.

^_^

--------------------
Rate My Scenarios!
Streila Spies
Unbalanced Accounts
Inn of Blades
Echoes
Echoes: Assault
Echoes: Black Horse
Echoes: Pawns
Bandits
Echoes: Combat/Skirmish
Two Strands
Bandits II: Ballad of the Red Star
Roses of Reckoning (BoE)
Corporeus
The Claim
Roses of Reckoning (BoA)
Nebulous Times Hence
Emerald Mountain
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Lifecrafter
Member # 3608
Profile Homepage #41
/me slaps TM around with a big trout.

This is about my NEAT, ALL COOL cell phone, here! IMAGE(wink0001.gif)

Also, I'm still battling with the e-mail settings which my service provider Sonera won't let me find on their site. If one of my finnish comrades could help me on this one, I'd get the pics up quite a lot faster.

Corpy, I still use FreeWebs for my sites, but for pics, I must look for something else, as FreeWebs does not approve of remote linking or whateverthehell it is.

--------------------
- The Great Mister

kommari@gmail.com[/url]
Guardian
Member # 3521
Profile #42
For the image hosting, try Photobucket.

--------------------
Stughalf

"The death-knell of the republic had rung as soon as the active power became lodged in the hands of those who sought, not to do justice to all citizens, rich and poor alike, but to stand for one special class and for its interests as opposed to the interests of others."- Theodore Roosevelt, 1903.
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #43
I have plenty more to say on the subject. However, I've just taken half of the most miserable battery of tests I've ever been burdened with, and reading SD's nonsense has always given me a headache.

If he's not going to take a point, I'm not going to give it to him with a hammer. Some people prefer to remain ignorant; I can't say I sympathize, or even that I understand, but I'm cognizant of it.

Shantih.

--------------------
Lifecrafter
Member # 3608
Profile Homepage #44
Thanks, Stugie, for the link.

--------------------
- The Great Mister

kommari@gmail.com[/url]
Guardian
Member # 3521
Profile #45
No prob, Manmate. IMAGE(smile000.gif)

--------------------
Stughalf

Agent
Member # 3349
Profile Homepage #46
tl dr

Well, I guess congratulations. Remember, if you don't want it I'm a taker... IMAGE(biggrin1.gif)

--------------------
Espresso hasn't been invented yet. That stinks.

Xian Skull-
Avernum 3
Lifecrafter
Member # 3608
Profile Homepage #47
You're also a jerk. So please, just go away.

--------------------
- The Great Mister

kommari@gmail.com[/url]
Infiltrator
Member # 154
Profile #48
Does it work on batteries? I sure hope it doesn't run on batteries. You should avoid ones running on batteries, the batteries run down and then you have to wait some for them to recharge.

You know, I wouldn't be surprised if they got so engrossed in adding bloatful features to it that they forgot to put in the 'telephone' feature, that thing that lets you talk to people...

Not only that, but those cell phone thingies..they like, make it so people can "call" you and talk to you through the terrible device if they know your "telephone number", and then pester you about stuff. That's like taking a messenger in which everyone pesters you about something you don't care about in text talk as soon as you sign on (MSN) and taking that communication tool with you everywhere.

If I had a cell phone, I'd keep it off because turning it on would strain the battery and make it run down, and someone might try and call me.

I think they should make a cell phone that spins violently on the table, instead of vibrating. That would be funny! IMAGE(tongue01.gif)

--------------------
Blades of Avernum Script Archive - Submit your script now!
This Side Towards Enemy
Member # 3098
Profile #49
They do as part of the vibration thing. For a while at my school after people put them on vibrate so they didn't go off in lessons, prank calls still worked because the vibration was violent enough to make a noise if you put it in a pocket with a lot of change.

If you don't want to be called, become an antisocial loser. Although you have a point about the limited utility of combining a camera and a phone.

--------------------
"I particularly like the part where he claims not to know what self-aggrandisement means, then demands more wing-wongs up his virgin ass"

Pages