Favourite Smells

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Favourite Smells
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #50
In early 2003, I believe it was, I was playing Fallout. I had just cleansed Antium by holy fire when something popped. Real loud, inside the monitor, and the screen flickered out. Then it came back -- upside down, at half the normal width, in grayscale.
A split second later, I caught the most terrifying odor I've ever smelled in my life.
In a small room, illuminated by the hostile glare of a CRT that chose that moment to buy the farm loud, fast, and hard, I smelled roasting ham.

I was out as soon as it took to rip the surge protector out of the wall and run like hell. Days later, the monitor still smelled like ham. I imagine it still does, but have no way to check.

[ Thursday, April 08, 2004 19:05: Message edited by: Nemo Custer Impune Lacessit ]

--------------------
AnamaFreak (3:59:56 AM): Shounen-ai to the MAX
...there really is nothing that can compare to hot gay sex with a mythological icon.
Infiltrator
Member # 3220
Profile #51
I am curious, yet horrified, about what caused the ham smell.
La Canaliste
DELETED
Member # 21
Profile #52
Alec had been using the monitor to cook his morning bacon by irradiation for years. Unbeknown to him, a slice had fallen down one day into the dark recesses of the casing, and had mutated into a unique life form. As it began to explore its world, it accidentally shorted the power supply, causing havoc to the perpheral operation, and ending its brief existence in a blaze of ham smell.

--------------------
KazeArctica: Oh yes.
KazeArctica: Oh YES
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #53
I had an old TV's CRT blow up on me once. There was a pop, the picture shifted to one side and got vertical lines of weird colours running through it, and then the whole thing turned to static. There was a smell, too, and an awful one, but it sure as hell wasn't ham. I didn't stay around long enough to ascertain what it reminded me of -- there was white smoke as well, and the whole scene seemed vaguely carcinogenic.

--------------------
I believe there are 15 747 724 136 275 002 577 105 653 961 181 555 468 044 717 914 527 116 709 366 231 425 076 185 631 031 296 protons in the universe, and the same number of electrons. -- Sir Arthur Eddington
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #54
I've never had that happen to me... the worst smell? Probably rotting flesh. Can't remember where I've smelled it, but when you live in/near the Adirondaks, it's not entirely uncommon. There was another smell once, but... well. It wasn't all my fault, I'll put it that way.

On a more... appealing note, I like the smell of cymbals. The drums don't smell all that good, but the cymbals kind of balance that out.

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

TEH CONSPIRACY IZ ALL

In case of emergency, break glass.
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #55
Eww, old dirty brass.

--------------------
AnamaFreak (3:59:56 AM): Shounen-ai to the MAX
...there really is nothing that can compare to hot gay sex with a mythological icon.
La Canaliste
DELETED
Member # 21
Profile #56
Depends on whose T shirt is used to muffle the bass.

--------------------
KazeArctica: Oh yes.
KazeArctica: Oh YES
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #57
Somehow, due to cosmic weirdness, the shirt is always Arctic's. Chew on that!

?Alorael, who does not like the smell of blood very much, probably for much the same reasons that he objects to the scent of iron railings and such.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Warrior
Member # 1892
Profile #58
Ah, yes the smell of recently released bodily gasses (Formerly fluids- huh) Amazingly, that is the way they make damascus steel-by stabing a creatur to release the gasses, giving it the watery look. THey stopped useing humans a long time ago and replaced it with sheep. I am glad I'm not sprotin' wool.

[ Tuesday, April 06, 2004 15:55: Message edited by: Shadow Of the Hegemon ]

--------------------
Share this Dragon
If you do,
Then Lucky End
For them and You
-----------------

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
?Alorael, whose addiction is going strong. The nice thing about liquid skribbane extract is that it's far more concentrated. It only takes a few gallons to get his fix, whereas chewing leaves would take forever. Literally.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fall under the shadow
Skip to My Lou
Member # 40
Profile Homepage #59
quote:
Originally written by Alec, dareva, and Saunders:

Alec: In early 2003, I believe it was, I was playing Fallout. I had just cleansed Antium by holy fire when something popped. Real loud, inside the monitor, and the screen flickered out. Then it came back -- upside down, at half the normal width, in grayscale.
A split second later, I caught the most terrifying odor I've ever smelled in my life.
In a small room, illuminated by the hostile glare of a CRT that chose that moment to buy the farm loud, fast, and hard, I smelled roasting ham.

I was out as soon as it took to rip the surge protector out of the wall and run like hell. Days later, the monitor still smelled like ham. I imagine it still does, but have no way to check.

dareva: I am curious, yet horrified, about what caused the ham smell.

Saunders: Alec had been using the monitor to cook his morning bacon by irradiation for years. Unbeknown to him, a slice had fallen down one day into the dark recesses of the casing, and had mutated into a unique life form. As it began to explore its world, it accidentally shorted the power supply, causing havoc to the perpheral operation, and ending its brief existence in a blaze of ham smell.
For some reason I found this the most entertaining thing I have read in a very long time. This series of posts also manages to embody what I love about the Spidweb community.

Back on topic, I also like gasoline and various other chemical smells. Call it cliche, but I also love the scent of roses.

--------------------
Need a pet? Need cheap labor? Buy a Moose!

Take the Personality Test! INTJ 100% 78% 44% 44%
Huzzah for the Masterminds!
Shock Trooper
Member # 4214
Profile #60
"I love the smell of toasted Zerglings in the morning."
?Marine, Starcraft.

[ Thursday, April 08, 2004 07:39: Message edited by: Mind ]

--------------------
I'm not cursed at birth like my Avernum characters, but my birth is my curse.
-The Great Misfit
Apprentice
Member # 4224
Profile #61
Well, any smell that happens to be near my olfactory cavity when I'm in a good mood. But not baby poo. Or the smell of any metal, or the smell of dog.
Or your smell, god, when did you last have a shower?

--------------------
A close second is not a desirable place to be in a battle to the death.
-Wisdom of Sinanju
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #62
Please drown yourself in cement.
Lifecrafter
Member # 233
Profile #63
This may sound strange, but I love the smell of cooking rice. Of course, the best smell in the world is the smell of the ocean.

--------------------
I'm just too selfish to be Zen. I mean, once you lose yourself and reach total enlightenment you don't care what the answer was in the first place. Ultimately a few good friends and a bag of Doritos is a better investment.

There is no such thing as an over-active imagination.

Hmm... These games are addictive and quite possibly dangerous. I fear the FDA will start regulating RPGs.
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #64
The ocean! Of course! Forgot that one. Chlorine, too. I don't know why, but I like the smell of pools. The taste is a different story, but...

Not a bad suggestion, Imby.

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

TEH CONSPIRACY IZ ALL

In case of emergency, break glass.
Lifecrafter
Member # 3310
Profile #65
I would say I like the smell of the ocean, but I suspect I would have to live my life in shame for uttering such a cliché.

So I'll just say I love the smell of saltwater, seaweed(!) and sand. And perhaps the open sky as well, just for the poetic effect.
Infiltrator
Member # 3220
Profile #66
The most important thing to me lately seems to be just being able to smell things at all. When allergies rage, I almost wouldn't mind smelling something slightly unpleasant, just to know I still can.
Infiltrator
Member # 2104
Profile Homepage #67
I don't have allergies. My sister kept saying I do, but I don't. She does. I laugh at her.

--Jonnie Zahndi Zolohahni
I lika dem de furries.

--------------------
—Jonah Zahndi Zolohahni
Jonnie's Domain.
JDF — Jonnie's Domain Forums.

Pages