rBST: Boon or Bane?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: rBST: Boon or Bane?
Mongolian Barbeque
Member # 1528
Profile #0
Seems to me that it affects the taste of milk, giving it a spoilt cottage-cheese kind of flavor. And I don't quite want to imagine what it may be doing to my genetic structure when I drink it. I may end up siring two-headed children.

And what's wrong with the way normal cows give milk, anyway? Why do we have to fill them with extra hormones just to make more money? Why push Nature in strange directions? Aren't we taking enough risks as it is with the strange new chemicals in our foods? Why take extra chances?

And, above all, why spoil a nice glass of milk?

IMAGE(rBST Boon or Bane_files/confused.gif)

I take my milk seriously. Guzzle it by the gallon. And I don't believe any of the FDA propoganda either, that says rBST is perfectly safe. It's pernicious filth that ruins my daily breakfast experience.

I think we should give medals to farmers who don't use rBST.

--------------------
A.E. van Vogt (1912-2000)
The World's Most Influential Science Fiction Writer

Author of such classics as Slan (1940), The World of Null-A (1945), The Voyage of the Space Beagle (1950), and The Weapon Shops of Isher (1951)

Visit my website about him at www.home.earthlink.net/~icshi/
Shock Trooper
Member # 2300
Profile #1
Hmm. I feel I should probably feel more strongly on this subject but I'm somehow unable to get myself started on a rant. Wonder why....?

As long as I have the choice to carry on drinking normal unpolluted milk I'm not going to get too worked up.

--------------------
Beware of pretty girls in dance halls and parks who may be spies, as well as bicycles, revolvers, uniforms, arms, dead horses, and men lying on roads -- they are not there accidentally." - Soviet infantry manual, 1930's
Posts: 267 | Registered: Wednesday, November 27 2002 08:00
Guardian
Member # 3521
Profile #2
Hmm. I tend to mainly drink milk supplied by organic farms when I'm at home, although I certainly can't vouch for the purity of the milk supplied by my University. If it has an adverse affect on the quality or flavor of the milk itself, it clearly should not be used. I don't really fear being physiologically corrupted by hormone-filled milk, but I do oppose hormone treatments on cows for ethical reasons.

--------------------
"Let a man find himself, in distinction from others, on top of two wheels with a chain- at least in a poor country like Russia- and his vanity begins to swell out like his tires. In America it takes an automobile to produce this effect."- Leon Trotsky
Shock Trooper
Member # 3801
Profile Homepage #3
quote:
I think we should give medals to farmers who don't use rBST.

And a medal to Ben and Jerry's ice cream for not using rBST, and for having such good ice cream IMAGE(rBST Boon or Bane_files/biggrin.gif)

--------------------
There is no knowledge that is not power.

Take a chance at the Chance Forums!
Shock Trooper
Member # 3980
Profile Homepage #4
Most of us are probably too young to remember the Diethylstilbestrol (DES) catastrophe that was a principle reason to establish the FDA.

Skip the following if you know it:
DES was the first affordable synthetic hormone ever produced and it was embraced by the US-cattle industry as it allowed to shorten the feeding period just enough to convert to stable feed. Thousands of adolescent girls got a new sort of cancer - about two decades after their mothers had been exposed to DES during pregnancy - a fact that was discovered by a most unlikely coincidence.
It then still took many years before DES-use was banned. DES is a reference carcinogen today.

Low-risk long term effects are extremely difficult to study before large-scale application - and the consequences can be desasterous!
Call me a crazy softie, but I try to minimize exposing my eyes to mobile phone radiation, avoid food that is genetically modfified and - in particular - hormones - apart from clearly indicated cases.

Let us talk again about this in twenty years from now.

--------------------
Wisdom grows from trying to find structure in our experience - looking backwards in time - while living goes forward.
Theories are expectations that help us live forward - like possible ways to put the mosaic together. If they are worth the effort to remember, they should predict something and in case the prediction does not work out with time they should autodestruct.
And then there is something that we cannot test - something we have inherited in form of customs, attitudes, culture and the spirit of stories told and retold - that is like our individual SQUARE ONE.
This runs deeper than we can know.
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #5
And what's with the pasteurization of orange juice? Makes all of it taste terrible. I need my fresh-squeezed orange juice.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Vahnatai Did Do It
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
The Arena - God Will Sort The Dead
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 2300
Profile #6
Indeed.... freshly-squeezed orange juice should be a universal thing, unfortunately it isn't overly abundant in this harsh quarter of the world.... makes it expensive.....but its so bloody good so i buy it when availible anyway IMAGE(rBST Boon or Bane_files/wink.gif)

--------------------
Beware of pretty girls in dance halls and parks who may be spies, as well as bicycles, revolvers, uniforms, arms, dead horses, and men lying on roads -- they are not there accidentally." - Soviet infantry manual, 1930's
Posts: 267 | Registered: Wednesday, November 27 2002 08:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #7
Be careful; not all orange juice with pulp in it is really fresh-squeezed. Some bottlers add fake pulp made from wood fibres to juice reconstituted from concentrate.
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #8
When I was talking about fresh-squeezed, I meant juicing my own oranges (that sounds terrible) or buying from a farm. The only good mainstream orange juices I've found are Tropicana Grovestand and Simply Orange with pulp.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
====
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #9
I hate fruit juice, especially orange juice. Milk all the way, and I hardly care what's in it as long as it tastes good and doesn't kill me.

quote:
Originally written by Syntyrael:

And a medal to Ben and Jerry's ice cream for not using rBST, and for having such good ice cream IMAGE(rBST Boon or Bane_files/biggrin.gif)
I have met both Ben and Jerry on many occasions, due to the fact that they are family friends; my father knew them when he was younger (and still does) and was their first (unofficial) taste-tester. They were going to start their business in my town, at first, but then found a better deal in Vermont. My father owned the local Ben & Jerry's for a while before selling the business and keeping the building.

Why am I telling you this, you ask? BECAUSE I CAN.

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

TEH CONSPIRACY IZ ALL

Les forum de la chance.

Incaseofemergency,breakglass.
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #10
I hate milk; it's awful stuff, and I only use it to accompany oats or cereal.

Also, I have an inordinate fondness for blendering oranges, even though the result is a pulpy mess. Try oranges and grapes sometime -- it's like drinking a rose.

YAP: Whoa. You were around in the TR administration...? IMAGE(rBST Boon or Bane_files/tongue.gif)

(If I recall correctly, the FDA was more or less in reaction to The Jungle, and it was only more recently that it started dealing heavily with pharmaceuticals.)

[ Monday, February 23, 2004 18:04: Message edited by: Dictatorship of the Custertariat ]

--------------------
In a word, gay.
--Bob the Impaler

Guardian
Member # 3521
Profile #11
Hate fruit juice?! I live on the stuff. Orange juice is usually fine stuff in my experience; I'm unaware of it ever tasting "nasty" as a result of pasteurizing procedures. My mother will occasionally prepare fresh-squeezed juice from Florida juice oranges, though, and it is definitely an improvement. I agree, though; Tropicana Grovestand is the best available prepared orange juice for those of us who require our pulp. Apple juice and grape juice are also excellent. However, lemonade is the finest fruit drink on this fair Earth, and I enjoy every single one of its many varieties and permutations.

--------------------
"Let a man find himself, in distinction from others, on top of two wheels with a chain- at least in a poor country like Russia- and his vanity begins to swell out like his tires. In America it takes an automobile to produce this effect."- Leon Trotsky
Infiltrator
Member # 3220
Profile #12
Apple juice and grape juice are indeed fine. I rarely drink milk except in cereal, and then only skim. Oh, woe is me when I visit my parents and have to buy a separate carton of milk for myself.

--------------------
But I have never known or heard of anyone in real life who has said, "Yes! My goal in life is to be a brainless follower of obnoxious people!"
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #13
Orange juice is my lifeblood. I just can't live without it. That said, a nice tart cranberry-raspberry blend hits the spot sometimes, and lemonade (only real lemondade, though) is also good.

--------------------
====
====
Lifecrafter
Member # 3310
Profile #14
I think orange juice tastes bad. On the other hand, almost all other fruit juices tastes good.

And milk is the best thing you can pour down your throat. Spirits included.
Lifecrafter
Member # 3608
Profile Homepage #15
I just drank a box/can/whatever of apple juice. Good.

--------------------
- The Great Mister
Shaper
Member # 22
Profile #16
I'm extremely partial to some good cloudy apple juice. Orange juice is a lesser man's drink.

--------------------
KazeArctica: "Imagine...wangs everywhere...and tentacles. Nothing but wangs and tentacles! And no pants!"
This Side Towards Enemy
Member # 3098
Profile #17
I don't drink fruit juice any more, since it's stuffed full of sugar and if I keep the sugar down, it means I don't need to think so much about how much insulin to inject.

I prefer the fruit itself anyway.

My milk intake is probably limited to about half a pint poured over my breakfast cereal and a tiny bit in coffee.

I tend to drink very little and when I do it's water or something fizzy from a 2 litre bottle.

--------------------
Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned
I'll tell you my story, man
Though I wish I'd never been born
I'm loose at the seams,
I've broken my dreams
And my hand it shakes the pen
Come on, come on now baby,
Let the good times roll again
Mongolian Barbeque
Member # 1528
Profile #18
quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

Be careful; not all orange juice with pulp in it is really fresh-squeezed. Some bottlers add fake pulp made from wood fibres to juice reconstituted from concentrate.
Good Lord! That's disgusting!

I had no idea they could get away with such things. By and large, though, I stick with the Tropicana straight-from-the-orange-with-nothing-else-but-orange-in-it variety of orange juice. But do not credit me with wisdom and foresight — I'm just a fruit fiend, and you can't get any better than straight fruit, whether it be juice, preserves, or just regular off-the-vegetation fresh and intact.

And speaking of long-term effects of things — one of my relatives was an engineer with NASA for many years, and he's convinced that Alzheimers is related to our intake of aluminum via soda cans. I wouldn't be surprised if this were indeed the case.

And yes, I try to avoid being around microwaves when they're activated, as well as cell-phones, radio broadcasting antennae, etc. It's no wonder there's so much illness around nowadays with all the harmful things running through our bodies all the time.

--------------------
A.E. van Vogt (1912-2000)
The World's Most Influential Science Fiction Writer

Author of such classics as Slan (1940), The World of Null-A (1945), The Voyage of the Space Beagle (1950), and The Weapon Shops of Isher (1951)

Visit my website about him at www.home.earthlink.net/~icshi/
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #19
I drink orange juice, but I can't say I love it. I'm not a fan of pulp, and almost all good orange juice is pulpy. Bad orange juice is, well, bad.

I like cranberry juice or cranberry with just about anything in it. This includes pouring together cranberry juice and other fruit juices just to see what comes out. Add some seltzer water and you have soda, only it's less sickeningly sweet!

—Alorael, who very much dislikes milk. He drinks as little as he can. Sure, his teeth fall apart all the time and he regularly breaks toes getting out of bed, but he'll never sacrifice taste to bodily function!
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Guardian
Member # 3521
Profile #20
I once detested milk, before I took a trip to India and was forced to go seven weeks without it, as it was unsafe there. As soon as I made my return, I underwent a complete conversion, and to this day enjoy milk at any time of the day, with a host of different foods.

Anyone here ever tried mango juice/nectar? It's fine stuff, and although I neglected to mention it earlier, it's one of my favorite drinks.

I also enjoy buttermilk straight, which many I know find disgusting. The brand I drink, however, produces slightly modified and salted high-quality buttermilk, and it's purely delectable, creamy stuff. Unsalted buttermilk combined with mango nectar, a popular drink in India, is an amazing combination, and one of my favorites.

Although I don't drink tea very often, as I would rather not develop the caffeine tolerance that afflicts so many of my peers, it is among my favorite milk-containing drinks. I always have my tea with two tea bags, plenty of milk, and copious amounts of sugar. A bit of ginger or Indian masala makes things even better. In my opinion, a really good cup of tea should be a veritable power struggle in the imbiber's mouth. In fact, that's how I approach everything I eat. No tolerance whatsoever for "subtle" flavors.

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 3220
Profile #21
Now I can say that at least one other person besides me combines cranberry juice with other juices. It's good to know.

--------------------
But I have never known or heard of anyone in real life who has said, "Yes! My goal in life is to be a brainless follower of obnoxious people!"
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #22
Bob, you're diabetic too? Get a pump, if so.

Stuggie, I tried some nectar banana strawberry juice once, and it was amazingly good. I've never tried nectar or mango juice alone, but I do not like the taste of the fruit, so I doubt I'd like the juice. Drakey likes mango juice, but... that's different.

Buttermilk? I've heard worse - a girl in my biology class last year told me that she drinks soy sauce straight from the bottle.

EDIT: Dareva, the rest of my family does that. I don't.

[ Tuesday, February 24, 2004 16:22: Message edited by: Sir David ]

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

TEH CONSPIRACY IZ ALL

Les forum de la chance.

Incaseofemergency,breakglass.
Infiltrator
Member # 3220
Profile #23
I feel a need to go grocery shopping. This topic has made me so thirsty.

--------------------
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #24
"Nectar" isn't a substance on its own. If something's called a fruit nectar, it just means that it's somewhere between the liquid consistency of a juice and the semi-solid consistency of a puree.

Pages