WTF are we still in Iraq.

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: WTF are we still in Iraq.
Agent
Member # 798
Profile Homepage #0
I know I have basically devouted my life to geting people angry on this message board. And I am not trying to sound like the radicals on this site. But lately I have been asking myself one question, WTF are we still in Iraq? I personally belief we should no longer be in that country. So I have written a poem about what I feel about The War in Iraq. This is The Poem.

A region which is divided by many eccnic groups. American Soldiers getting killed by the thousand each day. And why are we there, greed, power, prestige. Or maybe could it be for just plain biggotry. Reasons that started this war that are too complex for me to understand. And I will probably never understand why this war was started. To help the people would be a good reason, but I doubt that was the reason. But should we still be there, I honestly think we shouldn't. But don't listen to me, I have been called simple and stupid. For there are minds much greater than mine who probibly know why this war was started. But my intelligence is not like theres. But allthough my intelligence is not the highest and I probably am not worthy enough to write this poem. I do not think we should remain in the region in the middle of the east. For too many young lives are getting killed, and too many familys are loosing there younger members. But if there was a purpose that I could see I would say we should remain. But I do not see any purpose that would lead me to think we should remain. And so I belief and I would die by the belief that we must end that bloody war.

The End.

[ Monday, January 19, 2004 13:10: Message edited by: The Lord of Evil ]

--------------------
Look Ma, I'm banned!
BANNED
Member # 2385
Profile Homepage #1
Meh, Bush is just tryin' to get **** started over there so he'll get re-elected.

Edit: Nice poem, though.

[ Monday, January 19, 2004 13:14: Message edited by: the person holding a chainsaw ]

--------------------
I get energy from your jealousy. Ever wonder why I'm so hyper?

The Abyss Scenarios, Forums, Graphics...
E-Master's Graemlins Come take a look.
Miscellaneous Get to the closed misc. forums!
Where's Waldo? Can you find Waldo in less than a minute? *Evil Grin*
End of World Da end is coming!
Agent
Member # 798
Profile Homepage #2
Thank you, But I'm pretty sure some a$$ will insult my poem in the not so distant future. Chances are though Bush will be re-elected for the next four years and he will probably start several more wars. But hey my family still does own 1/6 of land in Southern Italy. Or I could just simply move to Canada like every other member of my generation will. ohh yea and Goo Pats.

--------------------
Look Ma, I'm banned!
Agent
Member # 798
Profile Homepage #3
Thank you, But I'm pretty sure some a$$ will insult my poem in the not so distant future. Chances are though Bush will be re-elected for the next four years and he will probably start several more wars. But hey my family still does own 1/6 of land in Southern Italy. Or I could just simply move to Canada like every other member of my generation will. ohh yea and Goo Pats.

--------------------
Look Ma, I'm banned!
Agent
Member # 798
Profile Homepage #4

--------------------
Look Ma, I'm banned!
Shock Trooper
Member # 3239
Profile #5
I say it's about time to move them out. What would be the point of leaving soldiers there? To restore government in Iraq? Well, in a way, yes. But when the people don't want a new government...what then?

Tripple post and nice poem.

--------------------
I AM TEH BOOGEYMAN CORP.

--------------------

And since the stupid link won't work, I'll use this one:
Chance Forums
Shock Trooper
Member # 3022
Profile #6
Er... In my very very humble opinion, we should not pull out. To do so would be to leave a power vacuum, and a further betrayal of the Iraqi people, distablise the region further, and sow the seeds of more conflict in the future.

We should pull out when we have established democracy, and when the Iraqi people are satisfied with the situation and want us out. And no later or earlier.
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #7
As goths and Johnnyfeds should learn, calling it poetry doesn't make it good. -_-
Agent
Member # 798
Profile Homepage #8
Honestly I think if we where going to do the right thing by Iraq and forgive me for saying we all the time. The US would atleast try to set up a democracy or a republic or a capitalistic system in Iraq. And I don't think you need a army to set up a democracy. I may not be a smart man in SW standards but I think that GWB is using the war in Iraq for his own selfish needs.

--------------------
Look Ma, I'm banned!
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #9
I agree with FZ, but I'm sure most of you knew that already. Pulling out now would not be good for Iraq, or for us, or for the world. The war was started to get Saddam out; not for oil, as most liberals say, nor for WMDs, as Bush said. If removing an evil dictator to give the people freedom is selfish, then so be it; I'll try to think of only myself more often.

[ Monday, January 19, 2004 16:34: Message edited by: Sir David ]

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

TEH CONSPIRACY IZ ALL

Les forum de la chance.

Incaseofemergency,breakglass.
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #10
And you still manage to believe going in was? IMAGE(WTF are we still in Iraq_files/tongue.gif)

In response to your edited post: Explain exactly why, half a year later, we're still planning to install puppets and scoot before democracy can take root? Explan why we haven't taken out the imperial atavisms ruling Jordan, Saudi Arabia, and the like, who are treated as US allies? Explain why the biggest excuse was WMDs before we realized that there weren't any?
The current government of Iraq is a military committee; ruled half by the same people who mistreated Iraq under Saddam, and half by the US government.
If there were WMDs in Iraq, they're gone now -- sold to the highest bidder, all too likely. The Al'Quaeda connections 'vanished' without a trace, while a man with a country's resources at his disposal only managed to last six months.
If Bush were being graded on how well he could do what he set out to do instead of how well he could convince us he set out to do something else, we'd have impeached and convicted him in October.
And quite frankly, I find your revisionist attitude not only inappropriate and ignorant but disgusting. There is no excuse for killing thousands of thousands of people in combat and starving thousands and thousands more for one goal and then deciding after you've failed to achieve it that the goal was something else the whole time.

But who cares about the Iraqis? Who cares whether or not they wanted to be bombed or starved to death to change control of their country from one military dictator to a committee of them? At heart, you don't think of them as anything besides worthless savages, and that's what makes your position repugnant.

[ Monday, January 19, 2004 16:53: Message edited by: General Secretary Custer ]

--------------------
In a word, gay.
--Bob the Impaler

Apprentice
Member # 3809
Profile #11
dude you are an idiot!

--------------------
Hold fast young one, there is danger all about. He who holds the light of himself within will never shed light on anything, especially the evil minions that roam freely about at night.
Babelicious
Member # 3149
Profile Homepage #12
Hey, leave Johnnyfeds alone, all right? He's got enough problems.
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #13
^What he said.

Yes, Alec, I do. I'll explain why later if no one else has by then; I'm doing homework at the moment.

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

TEH CONSPIRACY IZ ALL

Les forum de la chance.

Incaseofemergency,breakglass.
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #14
--------------------
In a word, gay.
--Bob the Impaler

Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #15
I believe we went in for the wrong reasons. We made a mess. That said, we're in there now and, while we have solved problems, we've created bigger ones. Leaving now would be dumping it all into the laps of the Iraqis. What we're doing now isn't useful, but we can and should be trying to help clean up the mess we've made.

—Alorael, who doubts that will happen. But that's what should happen. As long as we're going to play savior, we should try to actually save Iraq instead of just leveling it.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Apprentice
Member # 406
Profile #16
Question: Several people have said that GWB began the war out of some greed for power. On what rationale would you say that a war in Iraq increases his power? Let us remember for a moment who we are talking about: the President of the United States, the single most powerful man in all the world. You can argue that Congress collectively wields more real power in the United States, if perhaps not as flashy a kind of power, but individual Congresspeople don't have anywhere near as much influence as Bush. There is no office, station, or holding which exceeds the power, prestige, and importance of U.S. President. As such, if Bush were to coldheartedly calculate the course of action that would ensure him the most power, his overriding goal would be one word: re-election. Bush's power is therefore measured in American votes, not Iraqi oil. So why would a truly power-hungry politician, already secure in his office with an enormous post-9-11 popularity rating and a made-to-order issue to stand on in the form of the war on terror, embark on such an obviously controversial and politically dangerous undertaking as the war in Iraq?
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #17
Four words: Connections to corporate oil.

Oh, and the fact that he's a blatant imperialist. His administration published a document in, what? 2002? stating that any attempt to challenge American hegemony -- be it military, economic, or whatever -- would be answered with unilateral, overwhelming military force; that America is basically entitled to go over and take what it likes from other, smaller countries; it says we are entitled to define other countries as 'failures' unilaterally (it rejects international law, by the way) and then deal with them as such.
Personally, I believe the National Security Strategy of the United States sounds more like something a nineteenth-century empire would publish than a self-respecting (small-r) republican government in the 20th century.
This is not extremists within Bush's faction talking, by the way. It was written by Bush and Rice and various other members of the current administration.

To be honest, I can't see how putting so much trust in the diplomatic gestures of someone who has basically ressurected the politics of blood and iron is at all a good thing. I mean, the last time we did, we had a war or two because of it...

[ Wednesday, January 21, 2004 06:08: Message edited by: General Secretary Custer ]

--------------------
In a word, gay.
--Bob the Impaler

Infiltrator
Member # 1877
Profile #18
Bush and the administration sound awfully arrogant. They talk about small countries threatening the peace, but that document Custer talked about sounds more threatening!

And by the way Custer, I totaly agree with you! You are the man! The man 'o man of men! You- okay, I'l stop.

[ Wednesday, January 21, 2004 06:34: Message edited by: Master Chief aka STD ]

--------------------
MDNZZZ
ZMMMBIS
WBLOONZ

33111-CRUSADER-4849
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #19
I agree with the views, but I must insist that while a poem is not necessarily defined by rhymes or scansion, its defining feature is the occasional line break. Sorry buddy, this is called prose. IMAGE(WTF are we still in Iraq_files/tongue.gif)

--------------------
"And all should cry, Beware, Beware!
His Flashing eyes, his Floating hair!" S. T. Coleridge
---
"It is as if everyone had lost their sense
Consigned themselves to downfall and decadence
And a wisp it is they have chosen as their beacon." Reinhard Mey.
---
Quote of the Week: "I have a high opinion of myself, which makes up for my total lack of intelligence." Anon.
Warrior
Member # 3694
Profile #20
Why don't we just get over ourselves and have one world government? You all could put me in charge... IMAGE(WTF are we still in Iraq_files/biggrin.gif)IMAGE(WTF are we still in Iraq_files/tongue.gif)

--------------------
And that was exactly the point of itself.
Takes advantage of the easily offended.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #21
Or me. Or anyone else for that matter. But if everyone wants to rule the world, that's never going to happen. We can't *all* rule the world.

What's the LotR quote? 'The Ring fits only on one hand...'

IMAGE(WTF are we still in Iraq_files/tongue.gif)

--------------------
---
---
Quote of the Week: "I have a high opinion of myself, which makes up for my total lack of intelligence." Anon.
Agent
Member # 798
Profile Homepage #22
At first a year ago I had no idea what was going on and if Invading Iraq was justified. Now I know what I think of this war. If the war was intended to replace a mad dictator and insert a democracy than yes, or actions where more than justified. But we didn't do this to get rid of Saddame, we did it for our own interests. Of which I havent figured out yet, and I might never figure it out. But I know we did it for our own reasons, and I do not believe this war was justified.

--------------------
Look Ma, I'm banned!
Shock Trooper
Member # 3022
Profile #23
Let's not get side tracked into the justification of the war. I doubt that anybody's opinions are going to be changed regarding that, and we'll just get an ultra-violent flame war going on and stuff.

I personally did not agree with going to war, but now that we are there, I think we need to finish the job.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #24
If they leave now, all hell breaks loose.

Basically, the Iraq was a house of cards, and the Americans went in and stumbled into the thing. To prevent it from falling down, they need to remain exactly where they are, holding it up to support it. And all the while, they're getting shot at. Not a pleasant situation...

--------------------
---
---

Pages