Why?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Why?
Senile Reptile
Member # 547
Profile #25
I agree with Sarachim on this. We each find our own purpose, or die trying.

--------------------
Polaris
Posts: 1614 | Registered: Wednesday, January 23 2002 08:00
Guardian
Member # 3521
Profile #26
Ah, it's a shame I didn't get on Spidweb earlier. This has always been one of my most prevalent concerns.

I usually like to dedicate a large portion of time in my day to thought, and this question is a very persistent one in my thought processes. Being an extremely lazy brand of human, I constantly question whether the work I do in life is really worth anything at all. Being forced to work without any guarantees is agonizing and unacceptable for me. Family members constantly tell me that while working hard at college will not guarantee me a good job and such, it will greatly increase the probability of worldly success. However, worldly success, as we all know, is not necessarily a well-paved road to happiness. I ask of my well-meaning relatives, will any amount of hard work guarantee me happiness? And I get no satisfactory answer.

My ever-present preoccupation with my unavoidable fate (a life consisting of never-ending work) often leads me to question why humanity as a whole holds what strikes me as a rather unhealthy obsession with work and progress. To me, progress strikes me as being a distinctively false sort of word. When you think about it, what is termed "progress" is often not really positive change at all. For example, all the improvement, especially in the first world, in medical technology has resulted in a greatly increased human life span. And what good does this do the human race and Earth as a whole? As we all know, the human population is growing so quickly that Earth will not be able to support all of us for more than a few generations. Also witness the huge quantity of resources and capital invested by so many countries into the research and developement of nuclear weapons. What is humanity working towards, one may ask? In some ways, its own destruction.

I'm religious as well, and being a Hindu I believe that this world is not necessarily real, but that it serves as a sort of challenge, a test which must be passed. One does not pass the test, however, by accumulating money, mansions, fine wine, or ex-wives. The only way to pass the test of life, in my understanding, is to succeed in becoming immune to worldly desires and temptations, and in stabilizing one's mind, overcoming the tendency to extremes in emotion. One who has attained this state of even-mindedness will be able to look at a rock, then at a diamond, and register no alteration in emotions in the transition. Of course, like everyone else, I have absolutely no idea how one can attain this status.

--------------------
"Let a man find himself, in distinction from others, on top of two wheels with a chain- at least in a poor country like Russia- and his vanity begins to swell out like his tires. In America it takes an automobile to produce this effect."- Leon Trotsky
Shaper
Member # 517
Profile #27
What I think SD is heading towards is that since we were created by God to be in a relationship with Him (cf Garden of Eden) that is thus the purpose of our lives. Heaven is just that made easy, if you like.

-E-

--------------------
Let them eat cake!

Polaris Boards: The System is Up. Perennially.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #28
It seems to me that even from some religious perspectives, our purpose is to reproduce. Think about it; do the souls of aborted foetuses go to heaven? If your answer is no, then this argument doesn't apply to you. But if your answer is yes, then why is abortion wrong? After all, it's guaranteeing all those souls a free ride to heaven. The only answer I can think of is if God wants more of us to exist than can be produced in one generation.

--------------------
I believe there are 15 747 724 136 275 002 577 105 653 961 181 555 468 044 717 914 527 116 709 366 231 425 076 185 631 031 296 protons in the universe, and the same number of electrons. -- Sir Arthur Eddington
Guardian
Member # 3521
Profile #29
Was there really a need to bring abortion into this? :rolleyes:

Personally, I oppose abortion, although for reasons which are more moral in origin than religious. But I don't wish to talk about it, so I won't.

--------------------
"Let a man find himself, in distinction from others, on top of two wheels with a chain- at least in a poor country like Russia- and his vanity begins to swell out like his tires. In America it takes an automobile to produce this effect."- Leon Trotsky
Shaper
Member # 517
Profile #30
Thuryl: Maybe God opposes murder as a matter of principle-I think the verse where Jesus says 'whatever you do to the least of these little ones, you do to me' is particularly applicable. Of course, there isn't really any solid argument, either in or out of the Bible, for life beginning at conception, but if we assume it does, we can safely say that God doesn't like it. If it doesn't, the issue becomes more complex than I'm in the mood to consider right now.

-E-

--------------------
Let them eat cake!

Polaris Boards: The System is Up. Perennially.
Warrior
Member # 3351
Profile #31
The catholic church believe that you aren't born with a matured soul so abortion is wrong for them as you cast a soul into limbo, preventing it to go to heaven. I don't remember exactly what rules they apply but to go to heaven, the child must be baptised and under 7 years to have commited no sins. Thus the souls of aborted foetuses isn't baptised and can't go to heaven.

--------------------
/Seawinds are calling
Warrior
Member # 3252
Profile #32
Ugh...I'm not even going to touch abortion. I'm not a woman, I have no uterus, I have no opinion.

But back to the original topic, if I may. I agree with Sarachim when he says that purpose is uniquely defined by the individual. It is not an absolute that can be dictated as though it were a simple commodity. But too often the idea of a purpose is identified with as a goal or a pinnicle which all other actions strive towards, as though life were simply a mountain that must be climbed. No, I think purpose tends more towards an amalgam of ethics, morality, principle, and philosophy. It is all of these, and of course such a blend could not be anything other than unique. A purpose is more than just a reason why, it is also the how in life, what we choose to do with ourselves. Purpose is contained within action, and action expresses purpose.

So when you say, what is my purpose, why do I exist?, I believe that your understanding can be furthered by examining elements of your life which you feel are the most real, or true.

Of course, I realize that this veiw pretty much discounts a higher religious veiw of existance in which purpose actually does exist as an absolute; namely, as God's overarching edict that my life should serve some particular aim of his/hers. I cannot change my opinions or the ideas that i have constructed with their help. I am what I am beccause I am what I am.

--------------------
Learn About The Man Behind the Messiah.
Lifecrafter
Member # 1768
Profile #33
Life isn't a train ride where you're waiting to reach a train station (death).

It keeps going, in as much as I believe in the afterlife.

This is why I love spiderweb, all these people w/excellent answers to the question. I was wanting to quote a few, and congrats, but there got to be too many to quote.

But I'd like to say that I love Stug's last paragraph.

And: I live because you can't stop me.

--------------------
I want my Desert Plah back, (Drakey, check your PM's.)

"Oh, North Wind, why frighten others?
In Nature's family all are brothers.
Puff and blow and wheeze and hiss;
You can't frighten Shingebiss.
Bring your frost and ice and snow;
I'm still free to come and go.
You can never frighten me,
One who never fears is FREE!"
-Shingebiss, the mighty duck
Lifecrafter
Member # 3320
Profile #34
I feel that life has nothing to do with procreation. Procreation is a choice in life you make. As a gay man, I have no desire to have kids whatsoever. In fact, I don't even like kids much.

Anyone who thinks that the sole purpose of life is to procreate really needs a reality check. Life is the pursuit of your dreams. Life is falling in love with that special someone, whoever it may be. Life is not limited to only one group of people. It is for everyone to share. Life is finding your little niche in the world and making your mark on it. Life is spreading kindness, love, and knowledge all throughout the world.

Life is a mixture of everything. And no single person holds the answer to the eternal question. Everyone does. And we all share in it.

And that is just some of my Sherlock Holmes philosophy. Enjoy. :cool:

--------------------
Mrs. Peacock: "Everything all right?"
Colonel Mustard: "Yep. Two Corpses. Everything's fine."

"Keep your wits about you, the game is afoot!!" - Sherlock Holmes
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #35
The purpose of "life" is to procreate or to ensure the future for your species. On a smaller level, you are supposed to just survive. But the meaning of your life is to do whatever it is that you want. If you believe in the afterlife, then the goal to gain a pleasurable afterlife. If you don't, then make the best of the short time you have on this material earth.

The grim outlook is to say that the point of life is to die for everything has an opposite, and the point of a beginning is an end. Of course, this doesn't apply to everything so don't bring up tiny examples.

I want happiness. I want variation. I want excitement. I want a bit of everything and to be whole. As I have said before in another topic, I believe that our residual minds live continue to function at a more finite level after our deaths. Therefore I want to have that afterlife with a life of experience to think and reflect on.

And the reason why we exist is because of whatever principals or powers made the universe the way it is and we "are" is a result of it.

[ Tuesday, December 30, 2003 19:07: Message edited by: Keep ]

--------------------
How do signature's work?
-Keep
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #36
I exist for RiBs.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Vahnatai Did Do It
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
The Arena - God Will Sort The Dead
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Infiltrator
Member # 3441
Profile Homepage #37
quote:
The catholic church believe that you aren't born with a matured soul so abortion is wrong for them as you cast a soul into limbo, preventing it to go to heaven. I don't remember exactly what rules they apply but to go to heaven, the child must be baptised and under 7 years to have commited no sins. Thus the souls of aborted foetuses isn't baptised and can't go to heaven.
Actually, the catholic church has not definitively stated either way as to whether or not the fetus goes to heaven. The exact language they use is.
1261 As regards children who have died without Baptism, the Church can only entrust them to the mercy of God, as she does in her funeral rites for them. Indeed, the great mercy of God who desires that all men should be saved, and Jesus' tenderness toward children which caused him to say: "Let the children come to me, do not hinder them,"[63] allow us to hope that there is a way of salvation for children who have died without Baptism. All the more urgent is the Church's call not to prevent little children coming to Christ through the gift of holy Baptism.

--------------------
-WildKarrdeSmuggler

-----------------------------------
Visit the Smuggler's Alliance
Cartographer
Member # 1851
Profile Homepage #38
When people die, they do not go to heaven or hell or anywhere. They simply cease to exist. There is no special 'soul' left behind or one to go forward.

[ Wednesday, December 31, 2003 10:05: Message edited by: Dream ]

--------------------
Ah! My Homepage - In Finnish and English
Geneforge - The Maps
My Elfwood Gallery - Stories I've written in english
The WALL - Forums in Finnish
Waiting for medication. I could really use some.
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #39
quote:
Originally written by WildKarrdeSmuggler:

Why?
42, of course.

CHOKE ON IT
AND I MEAN THAT FROM THE BOTTOM OF MY HEART
CHOKE ON IT

And the idea was to spark a discussion on what life is all about, which I suppose I've succeeded in doing, haven't I? :P

And eh, my answer has always been the same as my answer to everything else, which is admittedly a tad vague: comprehension. I've made it a goal of my life not to know anything, or at least not to make a show of knowing anything, until I understand its purpose, cause, and so on.

These are all good answers (although I have a personal grudge against answers to the question of life from books, HHGTTG or the KJB included), and I suppose I thank you for them.
I might even get around to answering some once I've more than skimmed over all of them. (No Internet, see.)

[ Wednesday, December 31, 2003 10:33: Message edited by: USA-se Xenerali-boariku CUSITURA ]

--------------------
In a word, gay.
--Bob the Impaler

Warrior
Member # 3694
Profile #40
:Jame looks in again. He shakes his head, and then goes to his personal outer-space conveyance to visit his clone-family. He does NOT regret being alive, although he's getting rather bored, pored and frustrated about real things.:

And the above, and the ability to create the above, is why I'm alive.

--------------------
And that was exactly the point of itself.
Takes advantage of the easily offended.
Lifecrafter
Member # 3608
Profile Homepage #41
Alec, I have something to add to your post.

--------------------
- The Great Mister
Babelicious
Member # 3149
Profile Homepage #42
The meaning of life is sodomy.
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #43
Stughalf: I find the Hindu religion very interesting, and it is one of the religions that has contributed to my own personal beliefs. I think that what you said in your last paragraph is a major point in this whole discussion of the purpose of life, at least to a Christian like myself. I assume you all know the story of the tree of knowledge, and how Man learned about right and wrong. What I get from this, or maybe just from my own experiences, is that knowledge is a curse. I have gained a lot of knowledge in the past few years, and I have also noticed a dulling of emotions in direct relation to the increase of knowledge. Basically, I find it very hard to get exicted about anything anymore, and also harder to go the other way. You have no idea how much I want to get those extreme emotions back, the simple, mindless joy of a sunrise, the pleasure of a very good dinner, even the exited anticipation that children experience on Christmas Eve. If deeper sadness and harsher anger are the cost of getting this back, then so be it. I believe that Heaven is perfectiong, the most extreme bliss possible, for eternity. I seem to be drifting further from the state of mindless joy and closer and closer to what you describe, completely dulled emotions, and I really cannot understand why anyone would want to achieve that status. But I suppose that if one did want to achieve that status, knowledge would be the best path. I just hope I can find a better path, before it's too late.

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

TEH CONSPIRACY IZ ALL

Les forum de la chance.

In case of emergency, break glass.
Babelicious
Member # 3149
Profile Homepage #44
The Way.

47. Knowing
Without taking a step outdoors
You know the whole world;
Without taking a peep out the window
You know the colour of the sky.

The more you experience,
The less you know.
The sage wanders without knowing,
Looks without seeing,
Accomplishes without acting.

48. Inaction
The follower of knowledge learns as much as he can every day;
The follower of the Way forgets as much as he can every day.

By attrition he reaches a state of inaction
Wherein he does nothing, but nothing remains undone.

To conquer the world, accomplish nothing;
If you must accomplish something,
The world remains beyond conquest.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #45
Personally, I believe life exists to be enjoyed. If there's more to existence than that, I'll leave it to whichever Supreme Being(s) take(s) an interest.

This means that I like to have fun and be happy, but it's also important that I don't impinge on others' ability to enjoy life as well. Even this falls under the category of enjoyment, though, because all actions must be selfishly motivated. By helping others I feel good about myself.

—Alorael, who can't say he spends much time considering this. Since it's an unanswerable question, he mostly goes about life the way he'd like to without worrying about the big picture.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #46
Sir David, if you look at why knowledge has that effect on you, you may find that it's because those extremes of emotion were produced by unrealistic expectations which would only have caused you harm in the long run. Knowledge need only shield you from those emotions which have no basis in fact, which are emotions you're better off without anyway.
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #47
I'm not talking about my anime post, or anything else I said while angry and regretted later. But if knowledge can take away the joy of a sunrise, how it that a good thing? I think that little children are the happiest people in the world, they are so easily pleased; and why is that? Personally, I think it's because they don't know much. I know that it's impractical to go through your whole life trying to forget everything, to free yourself from all knowledge, but still, you must admit, ignorance is bliss.

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

TEH CONSPIRACY IZ ALL

Les forum de la chance.

In case of emergency, break glass.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #48
I personally derive satisfaction and even joy from understanding things. Knowing the mechanics of a sunrise doesn't detract from its beauty, and I would say it even adds to it.

—Alorael, who would avoid ignorance anyway. Contrary to the saying, it's quite easy to be hurt by what you don't know. For a literal example, just look at the effect hygiene has had on life expectancy, not to mention smell.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Senile Reptile
Member # 547
Profile #49
Indeed, beauty is only magnified when you understand the machinery behind it. When you see a sunrise, knowing the thing you see is a great inferno many times larger than this planet is more awe-inspiring than simply assuming it's a yellow disk that makes its rounds across the sky every day for no particular reason.

--------------------
Polaris
Posts: 1614 | Registered: Wednesday, January 23 2002 08:00

Pages